Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-24-2012, 9:08 AM

Default 9mm loads with Unique powder

Hi all, im fairly new to reloading. I have been trying to find some info on loading 9mm rounds with Unique powder. Alliant's web site is next to useless unless your loading with speer gold dot. I'm trying to create a similar to factory round. I'm using Rainer 124 gr fmj with Unique powder. Any help with grains of powder or oal would be very appreciated. I was going to try starting with 5.0 grs at an oal of 1.15... any thoughts or suggestions would be awsome. Ohh also using cci 500 primers and remington 1 1/2 primers.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:51 AM

Suggested starting grains 4.5 Unique. 5 grains max is ok with the proper OAL. and if you're set on 1.15" it puts this within SAAMI pressures with a 0.4% compressed charge and a chamber pressure of around 30,000 psi.....I generated this using QL software and used the Rainer 124 gr. RN. The starting load number I got from Lyman's 49th edition.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Calguns Addict

5.0 as a start load seems fine as the 124gr GDHP data lists 5.8gr as max. 1.150" also looks fine. As you work up, load 1 in your mag for the first shot of each new batch, make sure you retrieve the brass from that round and watch for pressure. I think you will find Unique runs much cleaner as you approach max loads.

Last edited by Bill Steele; 03-24-2012 at 10:59 AM..
Old 03-24-2012, 12:25 PM

I run 4.3gr under a 125gr TC cast bullet at 1.09 OAL
Old 03-24-2012, 5:57 PM

If you look for reloading data ONLY for the specific bullet you are using, you'll be lucky to ever find any data.
In general, all lead and plated bullets use the data for the same weight lead bullet. In general, all jacketed bullets use the data for the same weight jacketed bullet. If you are shooting all-copper or frangible bullets, you need data for those specific types of bullets.
All this is covered in your reloading manuals.
Rules:
1) Always start with the lowest starting load you can find
2) Always work up the COL for a specific bullet to work in your gun using inert "dummy" rounds. Then, go back to rule 1).
Old 03-24-2012, 6:12 PM

I've used only Unique and 124 grain bullets, both round nose and hollow points and plated and copper and brass jacketed. A medium charge I would consider to be around 4.8 grains and I prefer 5.0-5.1 grains of Unique for 124 fmj-RN bullets. Shoots good in my pistols and carbine rifle. I seat 124 RN to 1.150" and they feed fine.
There is a site with Midway testing with Rainier bullets. It lists a start charge at 4.5 and maximum with 5.4 grains of Unique with the 124 fmj-rn Rainier bullet. I see no reason to push them past 5.0-5.1 mainly because of the differences in weights and case volumes of various 9MM brands. Use this info to compare to your other load data sources:
http://web.archive.org/web/200505021...loaddataMW.htm
Give the site a couple seconds and the charts pop up.

Last edited by rg1; 03-24-2012 at 6:14 PM..
Old 03-25-2012, 9:40 AM

Thank you all for your posts. I did not want to have myself a catastrophic failure. I was having difficulty finding info on Unique powder. I was coming up with conflicting load data as far as min and max loads. I was thinking about changing to another powder, one that meters a little more reliably. I may once i go through the 2 pounds of powder I have. Any thoughts on a good pistol powder. Also anyone have a good recipe for 124 gr hornady xtp. Want a good load but not any +p+ round. Like I said thanks to all for the informative posts.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:04 AM

Here's what Hornady 8th edition says....Their powder choice is Alliant Power Pistol for all bullet weights in 9mm...(I've never tried it as it'll take me a long time before I run out of BE and Unique)...Hornady 124 gr. HP-XTP #35571 COAL 1.060": UNIQUE: start @ 4.0 gr. Max @ 5.0 gr.. Power Pistol: start @ 4.3 gr. Max @ 5.7 gr. They used Hornady / Frontier brass and Winchester WSP primers....Test fire arm S&W model 39 4" 1 in 10 twist barrel

Last edited by 24Sailor; 03-25-2012 at 10:06 AM..
Old 03-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Calguns Addict

Unique is one of my least favorite powders for handgun reloading. It meters pretty mediocre, it burns extremely dirty when loaded short of hot and I don't like the pressure curve. The good news is it fills the case pretty full, so as a noob reloader you have a much lower risk of a double charge.

There are many better choices for 9mm (or any other caliber for that matter). As Sailor24 posted Power Pistol seems a favorite of many. My personal favorite for 9mm is VV-3N37. It meters perfectly, burns very clean, fills the case well and allows the widest velocity/pressure window of any powder I have tried for 9mm. The bad news is it costs about $.01/round more than just about any alternative.