Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-21-2012, 3:56 PM

Default How to make my CA legal AR-15, AZ legal by removing Bullet Button

I am a FRONT SIGHT PATRIOT MEMBER, and have the wonderful oppurtunity to attend the 4 day Tactical Rifle Course. As my AR is CA legal, I have the lousy bullet button installed, I was wondering if anyone could help me change it from CA legal to AZ legal(AND MUCH MORE HANDY) by advising me how to remove the bullet button and temporarily replace it with the standard magazine release. I already own the little ring finger device that reminds me of one of those spider rings kids wear on Halloween, but all in all it is an impracticable device, especially during timed events, and those requiring that you move your *** from one firing spot to another, as they tend to slip off as the damndest times. Any help in this area would be most appreciated. As I may be moving out of State anyways, I plan on getting rid of the BULLET BUTTON HINDRANCE for good! Any good suggestions for speedy change, and an easy one, that could become permanent depending on the move, or if I leave my AR in my gun safe at a relatives house(MY GUN SAFE, THAT ONLY I HAVE THE COMBO TO!) Any help in this matter would be most appreciated, SINCERELY, AO2 JMS II. I am also CCW holder and through FRONT SIGHT HOPE TO BE CLEARED TO CARRY IN 30 STATES, INSTEAD OF ONE! DEFEND THE SECOND, IF WE DO NOT, NO ONE WILL!!!

Last edited by Scrog-dog; 03-21-2012 at 3:58 PM..
Old 03-21-2012, 4:01 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you have a real "Bullet Button", why not just use a Wonder Wrench when out of state. It'll be no different than using any other over sized tacticool mag release.

WTF cares if you have a CCW/LTC in no state or 50 states? What does that have to do with using a mag lock?

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.
Old 03-21-2012, 4:01 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Ack, caps and lack of paragraphs. I don't think you could have more that more difficult to read without ignoring the space bar. Not to mention, all of the other nonsense that actually has nothing to do with your question.

First, you need to figure out if you have an actual bullet button(trademarked name for a product), or a magazine lock like a raddlock. Simply posting a picture(and not a caps locked statement about your CCW and the 2nd amendment) would help clarify that for us.
Old 03-21-2012, 8:58 PM

Search installation instructions for your locking device and go backwards. It's basic but need to know which device you have. I believe Rifle gear has install instructions for BB and Raddlock on their site.

Yes, it was a simple question in a very long post!!! We didn't need all the extra info.

Oh ya, as for your title, you're not making it Az legal by removing the BB. Az could care less whether you have one or not.

Last edited by jbush; 03-21-2012 at 9:02 PM..
Old 03-21-2012, 9:21 PM
Veteran Member

Just hope your bullet button wasn't installed with red locktite.

"Any unarmed people are slaves, or are subject to slavery at any given moment." - Dr. Huey P. Newton
Old 03-21-2012, 9:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

BTW, you could make it CA legal without a maglock if you go featureless. Then you could legally use all those +10 round mags you've had squirelled away for years.

Old 03-21-2012, 9:37 PM
Veteran Member

Get a Prince50....screw her in CA....unscrew her in AZ.

Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I didn't miss the bend-over-party every time a friend wanted to get in my back seat. . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisO View Post
.......No not a Knights In Satans Service rifle lol.
Old 03-21-2012, 9:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

BTW, you could make it CA legal without a maglock if you go featureless. Then you could legally use all those +10 round mags you've had squirelled away for years.

Old 03-21-2012, 9:51 PM

It's such a simple thing to do that I dare say if one doesn't know how to swap out a BB for a standard mag catch, he doesn't deserve to know.
Old 03-22-2012, 2:16 AM

Wonder wrench would solve the problem if red loctite was used, and he can have a gunsmith remove the BB when he moves out of state. Or for 1/5th the cost of the Front Sight Patriot membership, he can buy an AR without a BB if he moves.

I have a gun safe at my AZ house and me and my kids have the combo, thought you'd wanna know. lol
Old 03-22-2012, 2:23 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingdork View Post
It's such a simple thing to do that I dare say if one doesn't know how to swap out a BB for a standard mag catch, he doesn't deserve to know.
So because someone doesn't know how to do something, they don't deserve to learn how to do it...

Old 03-22-2012, 2:25 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
No kidding. OP talks about how hes such a bad *** but doesn't know how to unscrew a mag lock and install a standard mag release.

Its not hard...
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Marlin 795 MEGATHREAD Part Deuce
Featureless Rifle Build Guide - Now over 100 Muzzle Devices!
Old 03-22-2012, 9:20 AM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Unscrew and remove BB, install standard mag release. There are excellent instructions on YouTube for installing LPKs in stripped lowers, and part of that will be installing the mag release.

Just vote Yes please, not asking for money.
Old 03-22-2012, 9:28 AM

Install a Raddlock. Problem solved with 4 turns counter clockwise. Just make sure when you cross the CA border that your BB is in a CA legal configuration.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:00 AM
Paid Government Shill
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yikes . . . seems a bit harsh

To the OP . . .just get one of these:

http://ar-magmagnet.com/

Take it your course in AZ and leave it there or toss it in the trash when you are done, but do not bring it back to CA. Repeat do not bring it back to CA as it may cause issues.

Have fun at the course . . .
It's one thing to question everything . . . It's entirely another thing to reject simple, rational explanations in favor of ever more fantastic and far reaching explanations because you've decided the government cannot be trusted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoooper View Post
Anyone who says the American dream requires a specific pay range doesn't understand the meaning of the American dream

Last edited by calif 15-22; 03-22-2012 at 11:16 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-22-2012, 12:04 PM

Geez I never knew asking a question was such an insult, I was always taught in the military that the only stupid question was the one that did not get asked. I guess times have changed. Since I am more familiar with the M-14 or M1A, as it is known to civvies, I thought that maybe I could ask a simple question and not get trashed for it. Boy was I wrong! As far as my letting people know a little about my background, I thought it would help to show I was not just some FNG. Sorry for offending your oh so solemn group of Locals Only. And yeah I could have figured it out anyways, I just thought maybe someone would have a better way, and BTW pingdork, hope you never have a question asked in good faith, and someone craps on you for it, because I am sure you are just as perfect as me or anyone else, meaning none of as are perfect, I daresay one day you will rue your nasty remark, and the funny thing is, you probably wont even remember it, here's to you pingdork, hope you have a great life. Maybe no one ever taught you, so let me try"You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." I hope that was not beyond you, you can learn a lot with such a simple phrase.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrog-dog View Post
Geez I never knew asking a question was such an insult, I was always taught in the military that the only stupid question was the one that did not get asked. I guess times have changed. Since I am more familiar with the M-14 or M1A, as it is known to civvies, I thought that maybe I could ask a simple question and not get trashed for it. Boy was I wrong! As far as my letting people know a little about my background, I thought it would help to show I was not just some FNG. Sorry for offending your oh so solemn group of Locals Only. And yeah I could have figured it out anyways, I just thought maybe someone would have a better way, and BTW pingdork, hope you never have a question asked in good faith, and someone craps on you for it, because I am sure you are just as perfect as me or anyone else, meaning none of as are perfect, I daresay one day you will rue your nasty remark, and the funny thing is, you probably wont even remember it, here's to you pingdork, hope you have a great life. Maybe no one ever taught you, so let me try"You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." I hope that was not beyond you, you can learn a lot with such a simple phrase.
Seriously, get over yourself or you wont last long here.
The above is not legal advice. It is just something you read from some dude on the internet. It does not reflect the opinion of Calguns.net. If it seems rude it was probably meant to read sarcastically.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
No kidding. OP talks about how hes such a bad *** but doesn't know how to unscrew a mag lock and install a standard mag release.

Its not hard...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos47 View Post
Seriously, get over yourself or you wont last long here.
Maybe it's all in our personal perception? I, for one, didn't take OP as trying to come across as a bad ***. Uninformed (on mag release change and use of caps ), yes. No big deal imo.

Yesterday I learned here on CG how shotgunners ***** about things. (actually it's pretty funny imo ). Today centerfire continues to show some posts that make me wonder...can't we all just get along?

You're right Chaos, it's not hard.

Old 03-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I am a FRONT SIGHT PATRIOT MEMBER, and have the wonderful oppurtunity to attend the 4 day Tactical Rifle Course. As my AR is CA legal, I have the lousy bullet button installed, I was wondering if anyone could help me change it from CA legal to AZ legal(AND MUCH MORE HANDY) by advising me how to remove the bullet button and temporarily replace it with the standard magazine release. I already own the little ring finger device that reminds me of one of those spider rings kids wear on Halloween, but all in all it is an impracticable device, especially during timed events, and those requiring that you move your *** from one firing spot to another, as they tend to slip off as the damndest times. Any help in this area would be most appreciated. As I may be moving out of State anyways, I plan on getting rid of the BULLET BUTTON HINDRANCE for good! Any good suggestions for speedy change, and an easy one, that could become permanent depending on the move, or if I leave my AR in my gun safe at a relatives house(MY GUN SAFE, THAT ONLY I HAVE THE COMBO TO!) Any help in this matter would be most appreciated, SINCERELY, AO2 JMS II. I am also CCW holder and through FRONT SIGHT HOPE TO BE CLEARED TO CARRY IN 30 STATES, INSTEAD OF ONE! DEFEND THE SECOND, IF WE DO NOT, NO ONE WILL!!!
Ya either get a raddlock or a Phase 5. You're still gonna be stuck with 10 rounds though less you happened to have older 30s on had for the last 15 years.

George Orwell

http://www.AnySoldier.com
Old 03-22-2012, 1:01 PM
Veteran Member

I think the OP sounds funny the way he types and words things.....I like him.

Quote:
I didn't miss the bend-over-party every time a friend wanted to get in my back seat. . .
Quote:
Old 03-22-2012, 1:03 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by negolien View Post
Ya either get a raddlock or a Phase 5. You're still gonna be stuck with 10 rounds though less you happened to have older 30s on had for the last 15 years.

He can buy some 30's in AZ and ditch em when he's done or take them apart before he comes back and leave them in parts until the stupid mag restrictions are lifted in CA.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-22-2012, 1:42 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmc27 View Post
Maybe it's all in our personal perception?
I agree it totally is.

OP and I have talked in PM's and worked things out hopefully

To try to better answer your original question:
As many people have asked do you know which magazine lock you have?
If its the "Bullet Button brand" all you do is use a small screw driver to remove the internal screw that's around your magazine catch post (the part that moves out on the left side when the button is depressed has a post that the bullet button or normal magazine release screws onto)
Once that small internal screw is out you should be able to remove the magazine lock body and spring.

At this point you can install a standard magazine release.
To do that:
put the catch in from the left (if it fell out)
put the spring in from the right
put the button on from the right and screw it down a turn or 2
on the left side put masking tape above and below the magazine catch to avoid scratches
press in the button on the right using a ball point pen may help push the catch farther out
while the button is depressed: on the left spin the body of the catch to tighten and thread the button on
stop when catch screw is flush or nearly flush

Hope my directions make sense lol (and that I remembered all the steps)

Last edited by Chaos47; 03-22-2012 at 2:40 PM..
Old 03-22-2012, 2:22 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc1138 View Post
So because someone doesn't know how to do something, they don't deserve to learn how to do it...

I find that interesting as well. I had to replace my wife's power window regulator on her 325i. If you have a BMW, you know that it's an issue...

It is a rather simple procedure, but only after I was able to view a "how to" on the subject. NOW I can say that it's so simple it shouldn't require any instruction.

Most things are difficult before we know how to do them, and many get to be very simple once we learn them. The BB is just like anything else.
Old 03-22-2012, 2:30 PM

You can always just break the thing with pliers and install a new mag release (cheap part).
Old 03-22-2012, 2:36 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryj View Post
I find that interesting as well. I had to replace my wife's power window regulator on her 325i. If you have a BMW, you know that it's an issue...

It is a rather simple procedure, but only after I was able to view a "how to" on the subject. NOW I can say that it's so simple it shouldn't require any instruction.

Most things are difficult before we know how to do them, and many get to be very simple once we learn them. The BB is just like anything else.
Yes, there are plenty of things like that. But I'm guessing no one ever told you that you never deserved to learn how to change the regulator.
Old 03-22-2012, 2:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
If you have a CA License to Carry Concealed (LTC), then you are not limited to one state.

CA LTC is honored in the following states: Alaska, Arizona, California, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, Montana, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, and Wisconson.

So you are cleared to carry in 17 states.

If you get the Arizona CCW you can add these states to the list: Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Kansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, and Wyoming.

Then you will be cleared to carry is 34 states.

If you haven't seen it with your own eyes,
or heard it with your own ears,
don't make it up with your small mind,
or spread it with your big mouth.
Old 03-22-2012, 4:10 PM

OP is referring to a Front Sight CCW course that for $500 gets you licensed in 3 states that cover 30, after you take theie other courses. Patroit memberships start at $5000 and up and have the courses they require before the CCW class. A lotta bucks if you don't travel in those 30 states. And, I don't believe Cal. is a state thats covered.

And, what did a safe in AZ have to do with removing a BB. Just curious. I have a vacation house in AZ with a safe, but leaving my guns there makes it really difficult to shoot them while I'm here. Kind of self defeating. It only works to lock them up while I'm there. Would be better off with a Radlock or something that ez to change back and forth.
Old 03-22-2012, 4:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbush View Post
OP is referring to a Front Sight CCW course that for $500 gets you licensed in 3 states that cover 30, after you take theie other courses. Patroit memberships start at $5000 and up and have the courses they require before the CCW class. A lotta bucks if you don't travel in those 30 states. And, I don't believe Cal. is a state thats covered.
So, more money than brains?

Old 03-22-2012, 4:24 PM

Sorry if I came off trying to sound like a bad ***, I assure you I was not, I just wanted people to know how excited I was about attending a course, in hindsight I guess that sounded like bragging. I am sorry for that. I do know how to remove the magazine catch/bullet button attachment, better now, since reading the posts, so thank you! Living at 3,000ft in the mtns, I rarely get into town, and I guess I have become a little socially retarded. Since my only company is my Wife and our 4yr old Blue Nose Pit, she is red everywhere else but her nose, rather a comical looking girl if I do say so myself! All I do is collect guns and shoot guns, I realize I need to get out more, but I feel guilty leaving my wife at home all alone, as the dog makes it a point to follow me wherever I go. We have Bear(BLACK and I swear Brown as well) on the property, Deer, Mountain Lions, Wild Turkey(NOT THE DRINK, ALAS) Coons, Possums, Squirrels, Feral cats(Although not many of those, as my neighbor and I have declared a war on them, and thinned their population out quite nicely, nasty creatures that they are) not to sound blood thirsty, but they eat all the native Birds and Wildlife, so the fewer the better. So since I appeared to have offended some of my CALGUNS.NET compatriots I wish to extend(AGAIN) my sincere apologies. And to pingdork, I apologize for coming across as an *******, I was just hurt by what you said, but if you believe in water under the bridge, I hope you will forgive me and let bygones be bygones, so to all, especially pingdork SORRY, I am no BADASS, and have never claimed to be. But I do realize that perception is reality, and can see how I must have seen to have been lauding myself. My humblest apologies, Sincerely, AOII JMS II.
Old 03-22-2012, 4:27 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Stick around. This forum has helped me cope with weeks of cabin fever a few times.

Old 03-22-2012, 4:50 PM

My Front Sight Membership was $168 dollars, it included a four day membership for the 30 state CCW course, the certificate is open ended, meaning I can take it when I want to. After finding out about all the states my Cal CCW license is good for, I feel like I wasted my money. The 4 day Tactical Rifle course is a lot cheaper for members, I believe like $500 dollars for members. As far as keeping my AR in a safe in AZ, that is probably just a pipe dream, as it is my primary weapon. Since I have the Bullet Button ring, I can change my magazines just about as quickly as with a regular Mag-release, but it can still be a hindrance, especially if it falls off or I lose it, God forbid! I also have a California legal PS-90 by FN, it is small, easily concealable, and works like a charm, maybe someday when I move out of CA I will get the 50 RD Magazine for it, or many of them!!! My CCW weapon is a Baby Desert Eagle .45, with a 10 RD Magazine, which when all and all is considered, is enough to handle any unwarranted situation, so the Front Sight Membership is not as expensive as some would believe, and if you want to learn a lot about Tactics and what to do to save your bacon when people are shooting back, I recommend checking them out. SINCERELY AO2 JMS II.
Old 03-23-2012, 4:24 AM

Look at some of the instructions posted online for BB installs and you should easily be able to remove your BB depending on which one you have. Again, if it's red loctited (hopefully not) it might be an issue. Look at the Wonder Wrench. There's really not much to a BB. I overthought it the first time I put on in and made it hard on myself.

Enjoy your training course and your trip to Arizona, let us know how it went.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:39 AM

OP reminds me of myself, total homebody. He's cool.
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
Gold standard is for idiots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.P.Morgan
Money is gold, and nothing else.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Calguns Addict

I don't know how to remove a mag release. Because I never needed to :P How great it is to be free.