Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 03-21-2012, 1:06 PM

Default Velocity of shot for skeet loads

Hi guys,
I've been scouring the internet for an explanation of how the velocity of of the shot affects the game of skeet. Could someone please explain this to me please? Do I want 1145fps, 1200fps, or 1300fps for shooting skeet?
Old 03-21-2012, 1:30 PM

I may be wrong here, but I think the most important thing is staying consistent with whatever ammo your using to shoot. Because if your changing velocity all the time, you're also changing your lead time on your target.
Old 03-21-2012, 1:42 PM

In my uneducated opinion, finding the load that patterns best with your gun is most important. Velocity of the shot can effect how it patterns.

If patterning is not an issue, I would think it'd be a good idea to have consistent speeds between different loads you shoot, for example if you shoot the smaller gauges as well.
Old 03-21-2012, 1:49 PM
Calguns Addict

I also primarily shoot trap and my loads run between 1100 and 1200 FPS depending on what distance I'm shooting at. I'll run the higher velocity rounds for handicap or on the top barrel for doubles as the higher velocity should keep the shot column a bit tighter and retain energy better at distance. When I've shot skeet I've done fine with loads at 1100 fps... they work for me.

The hard core skeet shooters will be along shortly I am sure. They'll have deeper understanding on the specifics of their game. As noted above, the key to any clays game is consistency; doing the same things mechanically time after time. Knowing how your gun performs with a given shell and in a given set of conditions is vital to that.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison

Last edited by BigDogatPlay; 03-21-2012 at 1:54 PM..
Old 03-21-2012, 2:00 PM

I asked the same question when I took the skeet clinic. Coach stated "It doesn't matter, your lead will always be the same. Technique is what is important".

The difference is how the shot spreads over a distance. You want to hit the target about 25 yards out. At this distance the diameter at 1200 FPS 1 1/8 oz shot will be 36". If you go faster/slower it is about a 2" diameter difference.

This is also the same if you go with lighter loads (based on 12 gauge). What is the difference between shooting 1 1/8, 1, and 7/8 oz loads? The difference is 2" diameter as the shot travels towards the bird.

I've been shooting 1 1/8 oz 1350 FPS reloads along with the cheap Walmart Winchester 1 oz 1200 FPS loads and the lead has been the same for both.

If you get a chance take the Skeet Clinic taught. Coach will tell you everything you need to know about Skeet.
Old 03-21-2012, 6:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mana4real View Post
I may be wrong here, but I think the most important thing is staying consistent with whatever ammo your using to shoot. Because if your changing velocity all the time, you're also changing your lead time on your target.
I shoot 1oz of #8 going 1200fps at everything. Any faster and it beats the crap outta my shoulder.

As far as changing the lead, technically "yes", in the real world "no".
Old 03-21-2012, 8:33 PM

IIRC 1200 fps is the all-round performance speed for most games, there also could be a rule about it one of the games, but not certain.

As stated, consistency is the key and lead is secondary with respect to velocity. The lead should be so close that it doesn't really matter considering the pattern of a 12 gauge. After all, if you are shooting skeet correctly the furthest distance that you will encounter is 21 yards, which is the center stake distance, which is where you are supposed to break the bird....or a little sooner.

The general lead is close to 3 feet at station 4, a little less on other stations, but with a 12 gauge radius of close to 3 feet with a skeet choke, that can obviously vary some. It's when you shoot the smaller gauges/bores that your lead needs to be correct, or more zeroed-in.

You should try for consistent velocity to help your game and not use varying velocities if you wish to get good.
Old 03-21-2012, 9:32 PM
Veteran Member

I always go with 1 foot of lead at station 1, 2 feet at station 2, 3 feet at 3, 4, 5, back to 2 feet at 6, one foot at 7, front edge at 8.
Old 03-21-2012, 9:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

+1 for ysr racer. Only less the 1 foot at 1 and 7 or I have problems.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:43 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I appreciate it.

epic1856, I PMed for a spot on the skeet clinic. I've been on the fence about it because it's quite far away from me. I'd have to be out the door by 6am on Saturday morning to make it. I guess it'd probably be worth it for me.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:01 AM
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The one thing I believe wasn't touched on is gun vs velocity. Whether you're shooting an O/U or Auto make sure you gun will cycle with the shells. If you go to slow (sub 1145) it may not cycle an auto, or set the trigger (O/U).

If you're shooting a pump then find the cheapest low recoil shells. I like shooting Remington Gun Clubs and Phillips Wholesale sells them for $57+tax for a flat of 250 shells.

Anyone looking for a BMW Motorcycle? S1000RR? R1200GSW/GSW Adventure? Hit me up for a deal ... send me a PM. www.ncbmwmotorcycles.com
Old 03-22-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl333 View Post
I like shooting Remington Gun Clubs and Phillips Wholesale sells them for $57+tax for a flat of 250 shells.
Hmmmmm I might have to check this place out on Saturday...
Old 03-22-2012, 1:14 AM
C3 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumline View Post
Hmmmmm I might have to check this place out on Saturday...
Bring cash!!

Anyone looking for a BMW Motorcycle? S1000RR? R1200GSW/GSW Adventure? Hit me up for a deal ... send me a PM. www.ncbmwmotorcycles.com
Old 03-22-2012, 1:16 AM

Do they not take plastic? I hate carrying cash unless I have to.
Old 03-22-2012, 1:18 AM
C3 Contributor

+3%

Old 03-22-2012, 1:23 AM

Ach sheisse. Cash it is!
Old 03-22-2012, 1:28 AM
C3 Contributor

Quote:
Ach sheisse. Cash it is!

Old 03-22-2012, 7:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl333 View Post
The one thing I believe wasn't touched on is gun vs velocity. Whether you're shooting an O/U or Auto make sure you gun will cycle with the shells. If you go to slow (sub 1145) it may not cycle an auto, or set the trigger (O/U).
This is true. I was given a couple rounds of 7/8 oz 1100 FPS shells and my Remington 1100 would not cycle, but my buddies Remington Versamax had no problems with the rounds.
Old 03-22-2012, 7:44 AM

Quote:
Ach sheisse. Cash it is!
Be careful you might go in there looking for a cheap box of ammo and walk out of there with a MEC reloader and all the goodies to get started.

//just sayin
Old 03-22-2012, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epic1856 View Post
Be careful you might go in there looking for a cheap box of ammo and walk out of there with a MEC reloader and all the goodies to get started.

//just sayin
lol, there is about zero chance of that happening. One of the joys of apartment living...I traded interior space for being close to work. No room for reloading gear unless I get rid of my kitchen table. Smokeless powder, my spice collection, lead pellets, and cereal boxes would go great together, right??
Old 03-22-2012, 3:49 PM
C3 Contributor

Quote:
lol, there is about zero chance of that happening. One of the joys of apartment living...I traded interior space for being close to work. No room for reloading gear unless I get rid of my kitchen table. Smokeless powder, my spice collection, lead pellets, and cereal boxes would go great together, right??
RIGHT!!!

Old 03-22-2012, 4:10 PM

I stick with the fed bulk packs from wally world, I think those are 1200fps.
"The gun has played a critical role in history...an invention that has been both praised and denounced...served hero and villain alike...and carries with it moral responsibility. To better understand the gun is to better understand history."
Old 03-22-2012, 10:14 PM

I went to Phillip's Wholesale last weekend. Picked up a case of shotgun shells; took me about 30 minutes of standing there with my phone in my hand trying to read about different velocities before I just grabbed whatever was there. I ended up with Winchester AA #7 1/2 shot, 1 1/8 oz load at 1145 FPS. I'm used to going to Walmart and buying the ONE kind they have there.

I paid with a credit card. I don't think I was charged an extra 3%. Tax was 8.75% for me.
Old 03-23-2012, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdman View Post
I went to Phillip's Wholesale last weekend. Picked up a case of shotgun shells; took me about 30 minutes of standing there with my phone in my hand trying to read about different velocities before I just grabbed whatever was there. I ended up with Winchester AA #7 1/2 shot, 1 1/8 oz load at 1145 FPS. I'm used to going to Walmart and buying the ONE kind they have there.

I paid with a credit card. I don't think I was charged an extra 3%. Tax was 8.75% for me.
Agree, you go from "this is all they got" at Wally World, to "oh crap, what do I get?".

I also don't get charged 3%, but I usually spend over $100 each time I go.
Old 03-23-2012, 9:14 AM

Wow I sure stepped in it! Thanks for the replies all, serious and jabs alike
Old 03-23-2012, 2:22 PM
Calguns Addict

1200 fps +/- 100 fps. Lead won't change in reality at skeet distances.

Many reloading reduced payload loads find better patterns when stepping the velocity up a bit (1250+).

Some (mainly older) autos don't like reduced loads/speeds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
I won't.
I sign the dotted line and wrote a blank check to my country (RIP) back in the 1980s payable up to and including my life.
Back then I had a country worth defending, if Russia or China were to invade tomorrow I'll laugh.
Old 03-23-2012, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
Many reloading reduced payload loads find better patterns when stepping the velocity up a bit (1250+).
What does the ideal pattern look like? Is it the most circular one, most evenly spread?
Old 03-23-2012, 3:40 PM

Quote:
What does the ideal pattern look like? Is it the most circular one, most evenly spread?
The one that hits the birds when you aren't even paying attention.

Old 03-23-2012, 6:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Evenly distributed is a very common goal. But usually only the stats (number of pellets inside 30" circle at X yards) get documented.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
I won't.
I sign the dotted line and wrote a blank check to my country (RIP) back in the 1980s payable up to and including my life.
Back then I had a country worth defending, if Russia or China were to invade tomorrow I'll laugh.