Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-18-2012, 9:15 AM
Veteran Member

Default Colt Auto Firing Pin safety

If you think the series 80 firing pin safety was a new idea,it was actually born
in the late 30s by Colt and was called the "Swartz" safety--this is
how it looks in a 1940 Colt Commercial 45ACP,I guess the war must have killed
the idea. Pete

The problem is HEADSPACE between the ears!
Obama for 8 years will be the worst thing to happen to
our country since the Civil War.

Last edited by GM4spd; 03-18-2012 at 11:15 AM..
Old 03-18-2012, 10:59 AM

Is this the same logic as the kimber swarts safety?
Old 03-18-2012, 11:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Interesting. Thanks for sharing that. I never knew they did that.

Jake

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt (1759-1806)
Old 03-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Well used Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellnBack View Post
Is this the same logic as the kimber swarts safety?
The Swartz Safety found in all Kimber Custom II's is the same as the original design used by Colt. Swartz was an engineer for Colt back in the 30's. He patented this safety design in 1937. It is a firing pin block actuated by the grip safety. The Series 80 firing pin block is actuated by the trigger.

While the concept is the same, the application is very different. Colt dropped the original design because there were reported cases of firing pins getting hung on the block. Although, many feel this was due to damage caused by improper field stripping. It is easy to damage the push rod if you press the grip safety while removing the slide from the frame. Basically, it shears the tip off the push rod. This damage can cause the push rod to not fully engage the FPB even when the grip safety is correctly depressed. Since it doesn't fully move the FPB out of the way, this can result in the firing pin getting hung up(failing to fire).

The series 80 design runs off of the trigger. It is a more complex design but, doesn't suffer the supposed reliability problems the Swarts design. However, many people feel that the trigger pull suffers from having to actuate the FPB. This is partly why series 70 Colts are so desireable (no FPB).

My thoughts on the matter are that the Series 80 trigger with a good trigger job will negate any perceived trigger issues caused by the FPB. However, many smiths charge a premium to slick the trigger on a Series 80 because the complexity of the design entails more work. The Swartz safety on the Kimber works just fine as long as you don't mangle it during field stripping. It is easily removed should you wish to do so.

I personally don't like extra parts that are really not needed. FPB's on 1911's are needless with modern titanium firing pins. Buy a Springfield.

J/K

Now that I've shared an opinion, I'm sure some one will come along to refute everything I've just said.

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."--Plato
Old 03-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member

Good info--but what's a Kimber Pete
The problem is HEADSPACE between the ears!
Obama for 8 years will be the worst thing to happen to
our country since the Civil War.
Old 03-18-2012, 1:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

talot: More interesting info... I always learn something new here at CGN. I had a series 80 Gold Cup and I considered the trigger very good out of the box (a good trigger is somewhat subjective.) Good to know what Kimber is doing as I'm considering another 1911 purchase. I'm not crazy about SA's Ti firing pin. I might like it better if the stuck with standard 1911 .45 firing pin dimensions -- but they went to what is essentially a 38 super-auto FP. I replaced mine with the Ed Brown #826 FP with an extra power spring from Wilson Combat.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
William Pitt (1759-1806)
Old 03-18-2012, 2:03 PM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

The cure to the 80 series fps......and you don't have to buy a springfield to get it

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...NVERSION-SHIMS
Old 03-19-2012, 12:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Just FYI, the RIA Tactical does not have any firing pin safety.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:49 PM
In Memoriam

Colt patented the Swartz (who was a Colt employee) in 1937 and began producing it in 1938. In 1940, the Army started ordering 1911's. Mil Spec did not include a FP block and it would have had to undergone testing to incorporate it so Colt stopped making it to meet the Army production. It had nothing to do with reliability.

Many of the Swartz equipped Colts went overseas to the UK. I've seen two Giles conversions to 38 special and both were built on Colt Swartz equipped frames. I can only recall seeing two other Colts with the Swartz in my time working at the range.