Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-11-2007, 5:49 PM
Default red dot scopes???? good, bad??

I was hoping that some of you could share your personal experiences with different brands and sizes of red dots scopes. I dont wat to spend $100 on one, but hoping that a nice 40mm can purchased for less. So far, I am looking at the simmons 40mm and the A1 Optics 40mm. This is for my AR 15, I am expecting tight shots to 50yds. And decent groups (slightly better than on paper) at 100yds. nothing fancy.

So far, I've been told the BSA's are crap and to stay away from Hong Kong products... I would really appreciate your comments.
Old 04-11-2007, 5:50 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

So far, my BSA's been nothing spectacular, but it functions. Wouldn't trust it on anything stronger than 223, though. A lot of guys had stories of the adjustment screws stripping out and it being way off zero, but I never had that problem.
Primary author of - 'like' it on Facebook at!/pages/Gunwiki/242578512591 to see whenever new content gets added!
Old 04-11-2007, 6:06 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I also have a BSA that hasnt broke but the size of the dot is bigger than the black circle at 100 yards so its hard to use it for more than knocking down beer cans.

If you are looking to do target work with one then you need to spend more than $100 imo, the top end Aipoints are 2moa (2inches) at 100 so they are 1inch dots at 50. The EOTech is 1 moa at 100 but those are 300 or more.

Your chinese kncok off Aimpoints are 4 moa dots and the BSA was like 8moa IIRC.

HMM-161 Westpac 1994
Old 04-11-2007, 10:55 PM
Veteran Member

I've got a Leupold-Gilmore LG35 and a couple of Ultradots that are great sights, very sturdy and accurate, but they're competition-style, and will cost more than your limit unless you buy them used.

My dad has a low-end BSA (like $30), and the optics are not great - everything's all distorted around the edges, which is distracting to me. Their midrange ones may be better, though.

If you want a tactical style red dot for under $100, you should look at the clonepoints at
Old 04-12-2007, 6:50 AM

I dont wat to spend $100 on one
You WILL get what you pay for. Buy cheap, do not expect it to perform. Additionally, what are you using it for? Plinking? Training?

That would also define which one you should purchase.

"Superior gear will never make up for a lack of training or attitude"
Old 04-12-2007, 4:12 PM

I will swear by the clonepoint hocked by one of AR15's vendor, as well as clonepoints made by G&P ($50 or less shipped on eBay.) They have held zero and worked on everything I have (10/22, AR's of all type, FAL, M1A, Mauser's, Enfields, 870) that have a scope mount on it. Some of the rifle I shoot (16" 8mm persian mauser with a scout mount, 16" FAl para) and the way I shoot (thousands of roound in a day) will put more punishment on it than most people on this board will in a lifetime.

That said, I would only trust these as far as plinking go. All my top tier optics (Eotech, ACOG's, Aimpoint's, leupold's) are the ones I have no qualm about, the clones are just that, clones, however good can never be as good or trusted as the original.
Old 04-12-2007, 6:02 PM

I own a 30mm BSA that I swap between my buckmark and my SKS. It has been more than adequate. I can hit 1' plates at 100 yards no sweat with it, and on the handgun, it makes for easy shooting.

And no, BSA is no where near the top of the line. You can get parallax errors if you are not centered behind it and the dot blurs when it is too bright for the conditions, but the battery lasts forever and it has held up well even though I don't treat it with kid gloves.
Old 04-23-2007, 9:17 AM

Well I tried to use my A1 optics sight this weekend. Let me just say don't get one. Atleast mine I couldn't get it zero'ed. I turned the adjustment all the way to the right and at 25 yards the red dot was still about 1' to the left off target...

Remember the saying, you get what you pay for? I do now...LOL