Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 08-03-2017, 7:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Default must have and must skip dillon 650 upgrades

I've been looking at the roller lever, low mass bearing upgrade and the cam upgrade. I already have the case feeder and will be getting a bullet feeder somewhere down the road. I want to know what's worthwhile to put on there since I haven't put it together yet. I'm curious what you veterans think is worthwhile. I did some googling with mixed results so I'm curious to hear your opinions.
Old 08-03-2017, 7:39 PM
Veteran Member

Strong mount and roller handle a must. Also lots of primer tubes!
Either LED light or powder checker die also should be on your list.
Old 08-03-2017, 7:52 PM
Calguns Addict

I have the case feeder but passed on the bullet feeder.
The roller handle is great. The Powder checker is a must.
I prefer to use the Dillon powder dispenser(measure).
Extra primer tubes and the primer flipper tray are almost(are) a must. The automatic power primer filler is nice but costly for me.

A must have item for me was the press cover. If you do not get one use a large cloth to cover ir when not using it.

I built a metal reloading bench and did not need/want the strong-arm stand.
Old 08-03-2017, 8:01 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm making my own mount out of 2x6 and left over Ikea shelving I have laying around. right now my must haves are roller handle, powder checker, primer tubes and case feeder, lots of tool heads, those hornady steel locking rings and that's all I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 08-03-2017, 8:18 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm a big fan of the Inline Fabrication Ultra mount and Ergo Roller handle. I've bought the bearing kit and spill stop from https://reloadinginnovations.com and it was a huge difference in smoothness when loading full cases.
Old 08-04-2017, 4:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Since it was a functional 3-paycheck month (actually it was last month, but to allow for paying bills, it equated to this month for the mortgage payment to be on time) I bought a boatload of upgrades.

The jump-to-conclusions stopped after some roller and bearing-based upgrades were applied.

I got the following, and am happy I did:
1) Dillon XL 650 Spent Primer Catcher/Upgrade Kit
www.ebay.com/itm/281302460212?

2) Index Bearing Cam Block for Dillon Precision XL-650 XL650 650 Made in USA
www.ebay.com/itm/142319426060

3) Shellplate KIT Dillon XL 650 Reloading Press Needle Thrust Bearing USA 1/2" Bore
www.ebay.com/itm/271392887041

4) Dillon XL 650 and SL 900 Performance Improvements kit
http://www.ebay.com/itm/221316500435

#3 was probably not necessary, and makes it a pain removing and reattaching the completed cartridge ejector bar (is that what it is called?) but I am going to keep rolling with it.

About 450 .38 and .357 (total combined) loaded after upgrades applied and NO JUMP, so no powder sprinkle. I think these upgrades will make it better reloading .223 with bar powder as the jump always landed bar-powder in where the case head couldn't and had to be brushed out with a nylon brush, or picked out with a paperclip, or o-ring pick. I don't know why, it just always ended up there.

No more grease needed on the index area, and no more grease needed on the shell feeder cam, EVER!?

Last edited by the86d; 08-04-2017 at 4:39 AM..
Old 08-04-2017, 6:27 AM

I bought adjustment knobs for the powder bars. Makes it easier to adjust powder drop. Ebay has them under Mr. Dial. There are others also. I also added light. From inline fabrication. I highly recommend both upgrades.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2017, 10:24 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elpaisa1 View Post
I bought adjustment knobs for the powder bars. Makes it easier to adjust powder drop. Ebay has them under Mr. Dial. There are others also. I also added light. From inline fabrication. I highly recommend both upgrades...
Dial upgrades were the only thing i bought for years. Well worth the prices, no matter th varient, but one per measure, for sure!

I got the plastic ones for loke $14ish each. I don't know if i want to pay $50 fo 2 of the mr. dial.

Last edited by the86d; 08-04-2017 at 10:37 AM..
Old 08-04-2017, 10:25 AM
Calguns Addict

this is the information I'm looking for. I looked at all of those things 86d so thank you for your input.
Old 08-04-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
Dial upgrades were the only thing i bought for years. Well worth the prices, no matter th varient, but one per measure, for sure!

I got the plastic ones for loke $14ish each. I don't know if i want to pay $50 fo 2 of the mr. dial.
Yeah I got the plastic ones too. The Mr. Dail ones look nice though.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Old 08-04-2017, 11:43 AM

The case feeder is a must. I found that it is too easy to lose concentration and mess up the workflow without one, resulting in spilled powder
Old 08-04-2017, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post

2) Index Bearing Cam Block for Dillon Precision XL-650 XL650 650 Made in USA
www.ebay.com/itm/142319426060
Thanks! I got one of those in a mixed prize bag with no clue what it was ;-)
Old 08-04-2017, 5:38 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm curious should I have one powder measure per caliber? That's kinda what you guys are making it sound like.
Old 08-04-2017, 8:36 PM

having a powder measure on each of the toolheads you use often is certainly nice - greatly cuts down the conversion time.
Old 08-05-2017, 5:06 AM
Veteran Member

All my hand gun tool heads are all set up with dies and powder measure. Just change out shell plate, swap tool head and go. For rifle I use one tool head to size than another to load with.
Old 08-05-2017, 5:34 AM
Veteran Member

Here are some ideas: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1348844

Old 08-05-2017, 10:01 AM
Calguns Addict

thanks for that mayor. some good info there.
Old 08-06-2017, 5:19 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by osis32 View Post
I've been looking at the roller lever, low mass bearing upgrade and the cam upgrade. I already have the case feeder and will be getting a bullet feeder somewhere down the road. I want to know what's worthwhile to put on there since I haven't put it together yet. I'm curious what you veterans think is worthwhile. I did some googling with mixed results so I'm curious to hear your opinions.
Hi Osis,

East Bay guy over here (Martinez). Just started reloading recently on a 650. I didn't have any instruction aside from the YT videos and the CG threads here and there.

In my own experience, here are the items I would get over the standard Dillon.

Case feeder. HUGE time saver and easy to use and set up. Spendy, but it sure simplifies things and helps to keep your rhythm going. Watch your total height to make sure you can still dump cases in there.

Roller handle. Nice for the ergonomic side of things. However, I've seen a lot of people using the regular ball handle and it didn't seem to bother them too much.

Lighting. This is big for me as my older eyes are 'dim'. The LED lighting kits on eBay are easy to set up and inexpensive. That said, any type of lighting is good whether it's a flashlight stuck in the middle hole (which is what I did for a time) or a table lamp set up next to the press. The last option will take up space on either the press or your bench, so plan wisely so that you have a clutter free area to work.

(ETA): Powder checker thingy. Can be a butt saver. The 650 is pretty fool-proof for powder drops, but there's always that one time...

Live primer and used primer upgrades. One of the better ideas out there. The regular Dillon option doesn't work all that great, especially the live primer chute. The eBay item is quite easy to use and saves the primers from getting all over the floor.

Primer tube feeder. This is the one sucky part of reloading. You have to flip and then pickup each individual primer...It takes so long and unless you do a whole bunch in one sitting (you'd need a bunch of primer tubes), your reloading session keeps getting interrupted. I am looking at the Frankford Arsenal Primer Tube Feeder thingy. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...er-tube-filler
Haven't seen too much on this, but it looks like quite the time saver!

Strong mount. I suppose this all depends on how high your current work bench/stool is. I purposely built my bench to a certain height for reloading, so the press is (pretty much) at an ideal height for me. My stool is a bit too high, but I don't sit so much as lean on the stool.

Right now, I only load 45 ACP. Loaded over 2500 rounds(?) or so. I'm not buying components or other reloading stuff at the moment. Right now it's all about factory ammo (for training classes etc). After 2018, my focus will be getting another toolhead for 9 mm and all of the extras that go along with it. That's a low priority since my wife shoots 45. She does shoot 9 mm, but doesn't shoot it that often.

All the best in your reloading journey.

Happy shooting, reloading and be safe!
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)

Last edited by XDJYo; 08-06-2017 at 5:23 AM.. Reason: ETA-Powder checker thingy
Old 08-06-2017, 9:01 AM

Quote:
I'm curious should I have one powder measure per caliber? That's kinda what you guys are making it sound like.
NO forget extra powder messure use only one.

BUT get extra tool heads AND powder dies for each caliber.

Then set each caliber on its own head with ADJUSTED powder die.

Then just change calibers and MOVE powder measure as needed only the amount of powder to adjust.

ALSO get the UNITECK spelling? Powder measure micromiter adjustment thing,
works well and when mounted on powder mesure allows fast adjustment per whatever powder you use.

That's it.
Old 08-06-2017, 9:40 AM

Subscribed for some good tips and info.....I'm setting my 650 up and look forward to hearing what you all have done to dial it in.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:54 AM
Calguns Addict

thanks for you're heads up xdjy. I didn't even think about the primers but I do want to be able to pump rounds out since my free time is extremely limited. I'm still going to pick up ample primer tubes. I have the problem of trying to get everything at once to save on shipping.
Old 08-06-2017, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
thanks for you're heads up xdjy. I didn't even think about the primers but I do want to be able to pump rounds out since my free time is extremely limited. I'm still going to pick up ample primer tubes. I have the problem of trying to get everything at once to save on shipping.
No problems. I enjoy reloading, but the primer picking up thing is the only part I hate.

I've seen people who have multiple primer tubes pre-filled and hanging on a hanger, so that's convenient. I was kinda wondering if there's any downside to laying a full primer tube on it's side (it's what I do at the moment). Can the primers flip over in the tube leading to upside down primers in the round? (I've had 1 so far).
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-06-2017, 12:29 PM
Calguns Addict

so Bruce I'm trying to understand your suggestion. you advocate getting just the powder drop die and switch over the powder hopper correct? That's how I'm interpreting it. I'm still learning the nomenclature so I apologize if I'm using the wrong words.

Xd I don't think I'm going to enjoy reloading per se but I am going to enjoy flipping Gavin the bird. saving money is nice too though not gonna lie. although I've already dropped line 2k on equipment already and haven't bought a single component....
Old 08-06-2017, 12:59 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
so Bruce I'm trying to understand your suggestion. you advocate getting just the powder drop die and switch over the powder hopper correct? That's how I'm interpreting it. I'm still learning the nomenclature so I apologize if I'm using the wrong words.

Xd I don't think I'm going to enjoy reloading per se but I am going to enjoy flipping Gavin the bird. saving money is nice too though not gonna lie. although I've already dropped line 2k on equipment already and haven't bought a single component....
I kind of read Bruce's post the same way you did, but it doesn't really make sense. I am not sure I want to keep monkeying around with the powder measure each time I change calibers, not to mention making sure I change the case expander thingy.

Reloading is nice. It's a nice little side hobby. I started due to being a cheap skate. I bought all of my stuff before all of this craziness with the ammo laws came into being, but while the ammo crisis after Sandy Hook was still fresh in mind. Ammo was tough to come by and expensive! $50-$60/100 for 45 ACP! Yikes!!! Now, I reload for about $0.18/round for 45 ACP. I'm not sure how much better I could do at the moment. But, my components that I have on hand will soon run out. That will be my next purchase starting next year.

Some of the other side things associated with reloading is the tumbling. I wet tumble, so finding the right mix of Dawn/Lemishine/Pins, time in the tumbler etc is nice. Finding the right process with the best outcome that you're willing to live with.

Then, there's finding the right recipe for your reloads. What bullet, what powder, what type of bullet etc etc etc. Then, testing it out in your guns. When you come across a nice recipe, you tend to stick with it.

After that is the hunt! Hunting for components at the best prices and combining shipping to avoid the hazmat fees or getting in on group buys etc. Check out Active Junky for discounts at Cabela's etc. Same with Ebates. You get rebates on stuff bought thru there and you get a little cash back on them.

One thing I did when I first started was just bite the bullet and buy the components no matter what the price was or where. The first brick of primers was I think $40(!) at a LGS. I paid $30 for a pound of Bullseye from a Calgunner up in Petaluma. It was convenient since the wife and I were up in the wine country anyways. The bullets were a pretty decent price. Just get up and get some experience under your belt. It's pretty intimidating at first cuz you think you're going to blow your house up, but as long as you're methodical and follow everything etc, you'll be fine.

Also, Dillon's Customer Service is fantastic. Once you set up your Dillon and if you run into any issues, you can call their CS line and they will help you out. Same with parts etc.

You'll like it as a hobby cuz it's like kinda almost going to the range, but not as loud.
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-06-2017, 7:38 PM
Calguns Addict

I think for s and he's I'm gonna pick up this kit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013X...dXL&ref=plSrch

can't hurt right? that and the primer catch and lights (plus all the other stuff mentioned in the op) I think I'll be good just to start. God this was an expensive venture...
Old 08-06-2017, 9:10 PM

its easy on the tool head setup and lock down the all dies AND adjust the powder DIE to expand correctly etc. When done laoding say 38 and going to say 9mm take of tool head and powder mseesure and install other tool head with pre adjusted dies and powder Die, put on powder messure and that's it.
Simple.

Do this for every caliber you have.

When set like this the powder measure can be moved from head to head with the only adjustment being to change the amount of whatever powder you are using. no other adjustments need be done.

The Uniteck micrometer thing REPLACES the Dillion powder measure "bolt" that adjusts the amount of powder thrown.

It is a micrometer type tool and if you write down what setting gives what powder amount it is easy to go back to that setting compared to the Dillion "bolt" that has no markings on it.

PM me if you want me to walk you along have fun
Old 08-06-2017, 9:20 PM

be clear when you have set the powder die to exspand the cases as much as you want and lock it down it will NOT require any re adjustment unless you want to change the case belling.

The powder measure will mount back on a "set" powder die and work with out any adjustment at all other than any powder charge wts you may want to change.
Old 08-06-2017, 9:27 PM
Calguns Addict

are you referring to this Bruce?

http://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1231
Old 08-06-2017, 9:34 PM

yeah that's it read about it and you will see it give very accurate repeatable setting just write down fro future use.

I load 7-8 calibers and have only 1 measure with the uniteck thing on it.
Old 08-06-2017, 9:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
are you referring to this Bruce?

WHOA!!!!

I have not seen THAT thing before!!! So, if I understand it correctly, you dial in the powder weight (i.e. 4.7 grains..) and BOOM, you get 4.7 grains??? So the dial thingy works like a torque wrench?

Now THATS cool!

That just got bumped up to a 'Gotta have' status!!!
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-06-2017, 9:41 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I think for s and he's I'm gonna pick up this kit:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013X...dXL&ref=plSrch

can't hurt right? that and the primer catch and lights (plus all the other stuff mentioned in the op) I think I'll be good just to start. God this was an expensive venture...
Dang dude! You really went all-in on this! Maybe I'm a bit more conservative in my old age as I did a pretty big purchase up front and then after that tip toed into a few miscellaneous items as I went along, slowly building my current rig. Fortunately, when I bought my press (second hand), it had all of the upgrades I thought were pretty important-powder check, case feeder, roller handle.
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-06-2017, 9:44 PM

No you dial a "setting" you have verified what the grain wt is and the powder.

On that site they have a example chart that shows WW231 it is pretty close to what I have.

I set the micrometer to 135 or .135 gives me 5.7 gr of WW231.

the micrometer give a repeatable setting you can go back to when changing calibers.
Old 08-06-2017, 10:12 PM
Calguns Addict

Xdjy: yeah i have a tendency to buy the best tools I can get unless there's some crazy good deal (like the rcbs $75 per $300 rebate). I've learned through my time at work you can do things the hard way with crappy tools are you can do things the easy way with the right ones. of course I take the law of diminishing returns into account which is why I didn't go for the 1050. but I did get a forster for single stage so I'm pretty well setup for the most part.

Bruce: I can't find the thing you're talking about do you have a link?
Old 08-06-2017, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce381 View Post
No you dial a "setting" you have verified what the grain wt is and the powder.

On that site they have a example chart that shows WW231 it is pretty close to what I have.

I set the micrometer to 135 or .135 gives me 5.7 gr of WW231.

the micrometer give a repeatable setting you can go back to when changing calibers.
Ah, o.k. Thanks for the short summary. How accurate are the drops? I mean, I drop 5-7 times and they all vary by about .2 grains. So, I wind up taking whatever 'seems' right.

Osis-Which bullet feeder are you looking at? I have my eye on the Double-Alpha Mr. Bullet feeder. Probably the manual loading type. Maybe. It depends. I'm getting a bit faster now, so the bullet feeder isn't that high of a priority to me anymore. I don't like having to sacrifice the powder check station though.
M&P Shield 9 (wifes)
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 08-06-2017, 10:17 PM
Calguns Addict

I was looking at the motorized version of the same thing I think I can hand drop bullets pretty close to as fast as their tube system.
Old 08-07-2017, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Xdjy: yeah i have a tendency to buy the best tools I can get unless there's some crazy good deal (like the rcbs $75 per $300 rebate). I've learned through my time at work you can do things the hard way with crappy tools are you can do things the easy way with the right ones. of course I take the law of diminishing returns into account which is why I didn't go for the 1050. but I did get a forster for single stage so I'm pretty well setup for the most part.

Bruce: I can't find the thing you're talking about do you have a link?
??you posted it

or private email me then phone me tonight if you want
Old 08-07-2017, 7:34 AM
Calguns Addict

oh I misread your posts. I apologize. thank you for the suggestion I will probably get them.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Me, I have purchased a separate hopper for .223, one for 9mm, and one for 38/357.

I went ahead and purchased a separate toolhead for .38 with separate dies, and one dedicated to .357. One tool-head dedicated to sizing .223, and one for loading it. one tool-head with dies for 9mm. the only thing that i really share is the hopper for 38 and .357.

Caliber changes are real quick, no does need to be messed with, just slap them on and check cal conversion parts, and off and running. I really only have to check the dial for switching .38 and .357...

Edit: muy typos, most of them resolved.

Last edited by the86d; 08-08-2017 at 4:10 AM..
Old 08-07-2017, 5:12 PM
Janitors Mop
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Must have upgrade... Mark 7.
Old 08-07-2017, 7:53 PM
Calguns Addict

don't think for a second I haven't drooled over that. if I was too go that route if probably cheap out and get the ponsness unit.

https://www.reloaders.com/products/d...650-auto-drive