Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 03-03-2018, 5:37 PM

Default how (in)accurate of RCBS Uniflow Powder Measure?

I got Uniflow Powder Measure and M500 scale as part of the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit

It works. however, I feel each time the powder various 0.3~0.5gr. Is this too much?
Old 03-03-2018, 5:44 PM

What powder are you using?
Old 03-03-2018, 5:47 PM
Veteran Member

seems too much. Mine will be within .1 grain most of the time. Open up the rotor and clean out any packing grease. Use a light grease for the outside sliding surfaces of the rotor. Reverse the handle and have the metering bolt face the rear. That helps too.

Good luck!
Old 03-03-2018, 5:57 PM

All the mass produced powder measures work better with ball, flake and very short grained, extruded powder. They don't work well with extremely small charges because the adjusting mechanisms threads are too coarse.

Also your technique using the measure will also affect the accuracy. You have to cycle the mechanism and hit the stops the same way for every throw to get the best accuracy.

Last edited by Dark Hunt; 03-04-2018 at 11:15 AM..
Old 03-03-2018, 6:01 PM

Give it a sharp rap to load it and another to dump the powder.
Old 03-03-2018, 6:24 PM

I believe I have the same powder measure. It rarely throws the same charge twice in a row no matter how careful I am and no matter whether I use extruded or ball powder.

The trickler gets a good workout and the lack of consistency is a nuisance, but I can live with it.
Old 03-03-2018, 6:30 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Mine is consistent within +/- 0.1 grain with pistol powders, including Unique. With your variation, I wouldn’t use it.
Old 03-03-2018, 9:58 PM
Veteran Member

Mine stays within a tenth of a grain or so with ball or flake, fine for handgun plinking loads.
I use my Chargemaster for extruded powder.
I have found smooth and consistent lever operation works best for me.
I break it down and clean it at the first sign of the cylinder dragging and use One Shot dry spray lube for cleaning and lubrication.
One of the best additions has been the micrometer adjuster, it makes dialing it back in to different loads way easier.
I chart the loads and I can get pretty close when returning to them first try.

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 03-04-2018, 6:22 AM

dissemble and clean the unit completely no grease or oil use dry lube it may need to be reapplied every 3 or 4 uses after initial application you don't not have to dissemble the measure drum to reapply just leave it in the garage for a few hours to fully evaporate the vehicle, my measures get re lubed once a year maybe, I do use them quite a bit, Get the powder baffle it really helps, make SURE you add tension with the jamb nut on the meter screw, all 3 of mine works with certain powders very well other powders that you can feel crunch not so much, found that the cheap Lee plastic measure handles Blue Dot and other large flake powders very well,
Old 03-04-2018, 9:25 AM
Elevator Mechanic
CGN Contributor

Mine was flaky. Either spot on, .1, .2, and sometimes .3 off no matter what I did with it. Powder trickler got a lot of use but the RCBS one isn’t perfect either.

WTB cheap/used AK MFER.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:20 AM

Using a powder dropper is kind of a skill. It takes practice and consistency to get good accurate drops. I have a very old Lyman and once I figured it out I could get plus/minus 0.1 grains regularly with most powders. I learned to move the lever at the same speed and same force. I also bump the bottom and top stops with the same force.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:47 AM

The trick is to develop a consistent method of stroking with the charging handle.

If I'm starting a new load I will weigh out a charge and dump it into the drum and adjust the metering screw until it can hold the charge.

After filling the hopper tap the handle at the top of the stroke until the powder settles down. It take 10 to 20 taps.

Once you have set your charge weight then throw ten charges as a check.

To throw charges go up and tap and tap again. Go down and tap the bottom stroke and tap again. So up tap tap down tap tap and try to use the same amount of pressure.

As far as extra lubricants none are required.

Powders are already coated with graphite.

Some users will install a baffle in the hopper so the powder column weight stays the same .

I have never done so as I only do small charges of pistol powder.

irh

Last edited by ironhorse1; 03-04-2018 at 12:04 PM..
Old 03-04-2018, 12:03 PM

I have two Uniflow measures that I have been using for many years. One for Rifle, one for Pistol. Rifle one uses a large drum and the Pistol, the small drum.
If you want it to throw consistent throws with ball powder and short grained extruded powder(4320, 8208,AR Comp etc.), get a baffle. Use a consistent method of handle stroke that ironhorse recommended.

I use one tap at the top and one on the bottom. That works for me. I throw charges within .1. You can try the two tap method if it works for you.

It will not throw consistent charges of the long extruded powder like IMR 4350,4831 etc. You will have to throw close and then trickle onto a scale.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:18 PM

folks,

thanks for your kind suggestion. The powder is Varget, for 308, so it is ~42~45gr each time.

I will clean the it to see whether helps some.

nidm
Old 03-04-2018, 2:30 PM

another observation. the measure cylinder doesn't always stay in the center. It can easily move left or right for ~2mm(0.08in)
Old 03-04-2018, 2:45 PM

Varget can be iffy, it's getting into the thicker extruded gained powder. I can get it to throw accurate charges. If you want to be right on the money, you'll have to trickle.

I have the micrometer accessory insert for the large drum hopper. When I set it up for a certain rifle powder, I have a notebook with all of my powders listed @ a certain grain drop and have the mic setting recorded in the notebook. If I want 43 grains, I set it to that prior mic setting and I'll use a fired 338 Lapua case and drop 2 charges from the hopper into the 338 case. I'll weigh it and set the mic as close to drop 86.0 grains with 2 drops. It actually works well.

Even with Varget, I get well within .2. I do like the Micrometer insert accessory. I've been using it for years. The micrometer with the powder baffle has been working for me for a long time.
Old 03-04-2018, 4:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Mine throws within .1 - the trick is to be a little rough with it slam (not quite but you get the idea) the handle fully in each direction. This shakes the powder and makes it fully settle each time.
Old 03-04-2018, 4:36 PM

use one of these:https://www.midwayusa.com/product/49...-powder-baffle
Old 03-04-2018, 5:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I have 2 of those measures and have used them since the late 1960's.
I get excellent throws. The trick is to be consistent with the throws. That includes speed/force/bumps number and force. The other trick is to get a 5"(approx.) funnel and cut of the spout so that it is about 1" long. Then fill the measure with the funnel sitting on top. Then throw some powder into a cup until you get a pyramid of powder from the end of the funnel. Then start throwing your charges. NEVER let the funnel run out of powder and you will get consistent charges. Neither of my measures have a baffle and I was doing this before RCBS came out with one. I can throw 100(I have 2 blocks holding 50 cases each) charges of H-110 with none of them more than .1gr off. Most all will be dead on. I use 29.9gr under a 200gr HP bullet in my 44mag. It is a HOT load that has worked for many years on deer/bear/pigs/squirrels/yotes.
Old 03-05-2018, 7:27 AM

I have a PRO2000, 2 PIGY BACK 11s' and two Uniflows that came in boxes complete with two drums, and I have the Little Dandy system and I have tricklers. Added to that I have the old Visible with drop tubes etc., etc..

If I had a drum that moved laterally .080"+/- I would shim with a ring ir bush the measuring cylinder bushing.

file:///C:/Users/john/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/INetCache/IE/8A82UODS/Parts_Book.pdf

F. Guffey
Old 03-05-2018, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.h View Post
These help a lot. I made one and it works with Unique.
Old 03-06-2018, 8:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.h View Post
ordered one today. thanks for the suggestion