Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:07 AM

Default Running processed brass through die without lube?

I have a question about running processed brass in my XL650. I wanted to know do you need to remove the resizing/de-capping die in station one if I am running resized/trimmed un-lubed .223 brass. Below is the steps that I already completed on another press:
1) Cleaned
2) Lubed resized/de-capped
3) Swagged
4) Trimmed
5) Cleaned again to remove the lube.
Now that I have my brass ready I want to load up the brass in the case feeder and start cranking out some ammo. My concern is leaving the resizing/de-capping die in station one and running all that good brass through it without lube. My first thought is that it will be fine because I know the brass is already resized then I thought maybe that’s not a good idea to run a large amount of brass through that die without lube. Any Thoughts….
Old 04-13-2015, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Why even put a die in station one? You've already done that operation, so I don't see any reason to tempt fate and use a die; even with the expander removed.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:12 AM
CGN Contributor

No need for the sizing die in station one but unless you want to inspect every flash hole for cleaning media, a universal decapping die works well to make sure every flash hole is clean.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:18 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert1971 View Post
I have a question about running processed brass in my XL650. I wanted to know do you need to remove the resizing/de-capping die in station one if I am running resized/trimmed un-lubed .223 brass. Below is the steps that I already completed on another press:

1)Cleaned

2)Lubed resized/de-capped

3) Swagged

4)Trimmed

5)Cleaned again to remove the lube.

Now that I have my brass ready I want to load up the brass in the case feeder and start cranking out some ammo. My concern is leaving the resizing/de-capping die in station one and running all that good brass through it without lube. My first thought is that it will be fine because I know the brass is already resized then I thought maybe that’s not a good idea to run a large amount of brass through that die without lube. Any Thoughts….

This should be pretty easy for you to figure out. What does common sense tell you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by klewan View Post
Why even put a die in station one? You've already done that operation, so I don't see any reason to tempt fate and use a die; even with the expander removed.

This seems sensible to me. If you really need advise, I'd follow this guy's.

"I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything; but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do the something that I can do."
Edward Everett Hale
Old 04-13-2015, 11:52 AM
Dork
CGN Contributor

Even though the brass is already resized, brass has a small amount of "spring-back" meaning your sizing die will still contact and rub against a sized case. Without lube, you might seize a case inside the die. There is less chance of this happening if you are using a carbide sizing die.

Like chknlyps2 said, a universal decapping die would be a better solution if you want to ensure all primer pockets are clear of primers and tumbling media.

Also, using just a decapper instead of a sizer/decapper will result in a smoother press stroke with less friction and jerkiness if your cases are not rubbing against a sizing die surface, which should lead to more consistent powder drops.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:51 PM

Thanks Guys,

Common sense tells me to just remove the die from station one and do a good visual on the flash holes before I start the process......
Old 04-13-2015, 1:21 PM

I decap and then SS tumble. Then I load on a xl650 without a die in station 1. I have always wondered if this puts a uneven pressure on my shell plate while I reload. specifically on OAL..... My ammo has always been very consistent so I haven't ever worried about it that much.

Has anyone ever done a test with/without a resize die in station one? It would be nice to see if it makes a difference at all