Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 04-12-2015, 7:12 PM

Arrow Reloading advice

I want to start reloading. I have many different handgun and rifle calibers and shoot often enough where I am collecting my own brass.

I'm looking to reload .223, .308, 22-250, 9mm, 40 & 45.

Any advice on a good system and where to buy affordab,e primers, powder and bullets?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-12-2015, 7:19 PM
Veteran Member

First thing to do is get a reloading manual and read it until you understand it. From there, figure out how much shooting you plan on doing and how much time you'd like to dedicate to loading. After that, come back here with a follow up and we'll help you out.

For now, just get the manual and start stocking up on components (especially powder) since they're not always available. Check often with Powder valley, wideners, grafs and sons, hi-tech ammo and other places for powder/primers. Best thing is to get in on group buys to save on shipping and hazmat, unless you maximize your purchase by getting the hazmat limit.

Last edited by JamesY; 04-12-2015 at 7:22 PM..
Old 04-12-2015, 7:27 PM

James - very helpful advice, I'll certainly start down that path. Knowing I have a half dozen calibers I'll want to reload is there a decent press or presses I should consider?
Old 04-12-2015, 7:30 PM
Veteran Member

How much shooting will you be doing? If a lot, I suggest going straight to a progressive like a Dillon. If a little, start off with a single stage. Any cold of your choice should do (green=RCBS, red=Hornady, yellow=Lyman, etc). I started off with a single stage and learned a lot. I moved to a progressive once I started shooting more. I still use both. Progressive for bulk loads and single for precision loads.
Old 04-12-2015, 7:31 PM

Powder Valley is a great place to buy powder,primers and bullets.Very reasonable pricing if you can buy in bulk...more the better!
Old 04-12-2015, 7:39 PM

I currently shoot around 1k-2k rounds per month and am depleting my current stock, hence the need to start picking up this skill in short order. I like the idea of starting with the single stage, learning the ropes so to speak and then moving to something that I can crank out multiple rounds with.

Will check out the powder site for sure. Thanks!
Old 04-12-2015, 7:43 PM

hi ya,, you didn't say where you are;
for example if in L.A.
go to Angeles Range where there is an excellent reloading store.
Old 04-12-2015, 7:44 PM

I would look for powder and primers locally unless you are going to buy in bulk. That $30 hazardous material shipping fee isn't worth it otherwise.

As far as bullets go, I'm a fan of Rocky Mountain Reloading (http://www.shop.rmrbullets.com/) mainly because they have fair pricing, high quality components, and shipping is free. Also look at Grafs & Sons (http://www.grafs.com/), they likely have all the supplies you'll need for cheaper than Amazon prices, with $7 flat shipping. I bought 95% of my reloading equipment from them, and it all arrived within about two weeks, in perfect condition, without a single hitch. I know two weeks sounds like a long time, but it saved me a considerable amount of money so I was willing to wait...plus I ordered pretty much everything at once, so it was a big order. I'd imagine smaller orders don't take as long.

I'd suggest the Lyman 49th Edition reloading manual. It has all the information you'll need to get started and then some. I have both that manual and the Lee manual...the Lee manual has more data as far as the actual loads go, but the Lyman has more descriptive information that's really easy to understand in order to get going. Good luck! It seems like a lot to take in, but trust me...once you get going, it becomes fairly easy. Just take your time and always have safety at the front of your mind!
Old 04-12-2015, 9:19 PM

Read the reloading 101 sticky.
Old 04-12-2015, 11:12 PM

If you're going to be loading for a wide variety of calibers I would suggest a well made turret press. I also reload 6 calibers. After going to a redding T7 with 2 heads for ALL my dies... I'll never look back. All my dies set up for all calibers, all the time. Just a head swap at most if I need to change. You get the Strength and accuracy of a single stage and versatility of multiple calibers.
Old 04-13-2015, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varanidguy View Post
I would look for powder and primers locally unless you are going to buy in bulk. That $30 hazardous material shipping fee isn't worth it otherwise.
This, and do not trust your LGS over the phone to tell you what they have, at least this is my experience. Called all the local places and I always got the well I don't see it but come in and look around. So I did the sure thing and stopped at bass pro a few hours away and picked up a in store delivery on a trip. Then come to find out all of these stores offer all the types of powder I want and were either being lazy or just wanted me to come in to buy more stuff.
Old 04-13-2015, 6:54 AM

Appreciate all of the great advice. Ordered a reloading book last night, so I'll start there. I've been pricing powder, primers and bullets over the last few days...sadly living in Orange a county doesn't afford us many places to buy those items.

Once I'm comfortable with the measurements, process and safety aspects of reloading, I'll make the purchase for a press

Can't thank the CalGuns community enough for all of the information.
Old 04-13-2015, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsryan7 View Post
Appreciate all of the great advice. Ordered a reloading book last night, so I'll start there. I've been pricing powder, primers and bullets over the last few days...sadly living in Orange a county doesn't afford us many places to buy those items.

Once I'm comfortable with the measurements, process and safety aspects of reloading, I'll make the purchase for a press

Can't thank the CalGuns community enough for all of the information.
If you ever find yourself in the IE, Riverside has a couple places that sell reloading components, both on Indiana near the Tyler Mall.
Old 04-13-2015, 7:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It may be worth a drive one weekend to go to Angeles reloading store. They have the best display. You may want to check on their reloading class. For rifle reloading, start with the 223. It takes less powder and bullets are cheaper. Good for learning and a variety of different bullets.
Old 04-13-2015, 9:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih777 View Post
It may be worth a drive one weekend to go to Angeles reloading store. They have the best display. You may want to check on their reloading class. For rifle reloading, start with the 223. It takes less powder and bullets are cheaper. Good for learning and a variety of different bullets.
Definitely this too. I reload for both .223 and .308. Where .223 hasn't given me a single issue with already about 500 reloaded cartridges, .308 was a billy to get going and I just finally got it dialed in this weekend.
Old 04-13-2015, 10:15 AM

Think I might just do that to get a sense for powder types, lingo, etc. pretty excited about building my set up and getting this going! Tired of spending so much $$ and having to rely on others to provide a product. Being self sufficient with some stock on hand in this space just makes sense (dollars and sense)!
Old 04-13-2015, 1:06 PM

Check out reload OC, Katella exit off of the 57 freeway.

He's got powder and primers in there and will answer any questions you might have.
Old 04-13-2015, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Think I might just do that to get a sense for powder types, lingo, etc. pretty excited about building my set up and getting this going! Tired of spending so much $$ and having to rely on others to provide a product. Being self sufficient with some stock on hand in this space just makes sense (dollars and sense)!
As stated above, I'd recommend a turret press. I went with the Lee Classic because of price...it's cool because it is definitely a strong, sturdy press and you can have it as a single stage or auto-index that makes it semi-progressive. Very cool press and it's easy to grow with and understand.
Old 04-13-2015, 5:54 PM

Default local reloading store

Quote:
Originally Posted by someoneeasy View Post
Check out reload OC, Katella exit off of the 57 freeway.

He's got powder and primers in there and will answer any questions you might have.
Easy, I am glad you mentioned ReloadOC at 1739 S. Douglas in Anaheim. I didn't notice that he said he is in Orange.
there are several others too. Fowler's and Turners come to mind, both also in Orange. However Reload
and Brian, the owner are probably the best to start with.
Old 04-13-2015, 7:56 PM
CGSSA Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky_0811 View Post
If you're going to be loading for a wide variety of calibers I would suggest a well made turret press. I also reload 6 calibers. After going to a redding T7 with 2 heads for ALL my dies... I'll never look back. All my dies set up for all calibers, all the time. Just a head swap at most if I need to change. You get the Strength and accuracy of a single stage and versatility of multiple calibers.
This is definitely the way to go my T7 is the stuff, I started out with a single stage RCBS then went with a Lyman turret but once I saw the Redding I had to have it. YMMV
Old 04-13-2015, 9:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxit View Post
hi ya,, you didn't say where you are;
for example if in L.A.
go to Angeles Range where there is an excellent reloading store.
and don't listen to any of their advice.

Your safety depends on it.

Reload in Anaheim is run by someone who actually.. you know... reloads. Probably a better bet IMO.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:05 PM
Banned
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I want to start reloading. I have many different handgun and rifle calibers and shoot often enough where I am collecting my own brass.

I'm looking to reload .223, .308, 22-250, 9mm, 40 & 45.

Any advice on a good system and where to buy affordab,e primers, powder and bullets?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.
My advice...quit posting about what you wanna do.

Start reading all the previous noob threads just like yours...there are hundreds.

Read all the threads about reloading machines.

There is a sticky at the top of the page...read that too.

When you are done reading, take a reloading class.

And there are dozens of shops with reloading supplies, and threads that list them.

And there is always bing and google to assist you in searching...as well as search bots that will inform you on in stock powders, primers, etc.

The more you educate yourself, the safer you'll be
The better and less problematic you loads will be.
And you'll get that satisfaction of making your own ammo.