Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

View Poll Results: Which One?
LaRue PredatAR 57 44.19%
SCAR 16s 72 55.81%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-11-2012, 1:07 AM

Question Larue PredatAR or SCAR 16s? Which one and why?

If you were going to buy a premium complete Rifle which would it be and why?

Larue PredatAR

SCAR 16
Old 03-11-2012, 7:57 AM
CGN Contributor

Anything but a LaRue. Until that company changes their stance on shipping complete rifles, lower receivers, uppers and parts to CA directly, I will continue to "not" support them. And dont whine to me about how much money he has donated to CalGuns. It doesnt make him a supporter of CA or a good businessman. As much as people whine on this forum about this and that Im suprised there arent a bunch of I hate LaRue threads. It just prooves that people practice "selective *****ing". If LaRue has changed their stance on shipping to CA please let me know, I would hate to be negative about their company when it is unjustified.
Old 03-11-2012, 8:29 AM
Veteran Member

when things break on you Laure rifle you can get replacement parts very easily. When things break on your SCAR 16 it is going to take a while to get it fixed. Also the Larue rifle is much cheaper and with the money you save you can get an optic some extra mags and ammo.
Old 03-11-2012, 8:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHammerOfTruth View Post
Anything but a LaRue. Until that company changes their stance on shipping complete rifles, lower receivers, uppers and parts to CA directly, I will continue to "not" support them. And dont whine to me about how much money he has donated to CalGuns. It doesnt make him a supporter of CA or a good businessman. As much as people whine on this forum about this and that Im suprised there arent a bunch of I hate LaRue threads. It just prooves that people practice "selective *****ing". If LaRue has changed their stance on shipping to CA please let me know, I would hate to be negative about their company when it is unjustified.
Yes they have changed their stance. Thank u for your rant.

To answer the OP question.

Larue PredatAR hands down.
Old 03-11-2012, 8:44 AM

Scar. To me the Larue is a glorified AR. To me it's just another AR.
Old 03-11-2012, 8:46 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

I'd go predatar! Wow bro you are going to be stoked!!! Let us know what you get outta jail!!
Old 03-11-2012, 8:47 AM

Larue all the way!
Old 03-11-2012, 8:50 AM

I voted Scar purely based on aesthetic reasons; the predatAR looks like another AR and I like the space boot look :P
Old 03-11-2012, 8:54 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Yes they have changed their stance. Thank u for your rant.

To answer the OP question.

Larue PredatAR hands down.
When and how? Please elaborate. It would be nice to know.
Old 03-11-2012, 9:01 AM
Veteran Member

There is a $1000 difference between those two rifles.

That's HUGE!

I'd go with the LaRue and spend the extra money on an ACOG.
Old 03-11-2012, 9:23 AM

+1 for LaRue.
Old 03-11-2012, 9:32 AM

Quote:
Wow. You need to get out more. Larue has been shipping to Cal for at least the past year. In fact, several stores are stocking Larue dealers.

http://www.laruetactical.com/18”-lar...l-predatar-762

Scroll down to the bottom of the page for their policy on Ban states. I have a 7.62 PredatOBR on order from my local dealer. Hopefully no more than 12 weeks away.
Old 03-11-2012, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotshotgun? View Post
There is a $1000 difference between those two rifles.

That's HUGE!

I'd go with the LaRue and spend the extra money on an ACOG.
Although I own a SCAR 16 and voted for it, this actually makes a lot of sense. If you can afford it the SCAR is a great rifle. Worthy to be in any collection. But the Larue is no slouch either. A better value in this SCAR owner's opinion.
Old 03-11-2012, 9:39 AM
Patient@GunAddictWard
CGN Contributor

I say SCAR +1..

SCAR= unique but keep in mind that comes with loong waits "IF" parts are needed, never heard of it, yet. light weight, reliable, and when I use it on Call of Duty it never fails, its super accurate (Im kidding) I use the UMP.45

LaRue = Another AR/namebrand, might as well build your own with top shelve parts and save some cash for accessories & ammo.

Just keep in mind buy what you like and that makes you happy. Keep us posted on what you decided and remember post pix.
Old 03-11-2012, 9:42 AM

Quote:
When? Awhile ago.

From Larue Website:

Below, are the individual “Ban State” exceptions to our standard rifle configurations: LaRue Tactical Rifle customers need to check their own State, County, and City laws to determine the legality of rifles with these features.

CALIFORNIA: - LaRue Tactical Rifles ship with fixed (Bullet Button) magazine configuration, and 10-Round Magazines.

Wonder how I got all these Larues in CA..

We even had an Unofficial CA Larue Range day at Burro a few months back with another coming up in May.
Old 03-11-2012, 9:46 AM

here is there right up on their sight.. Will ship with bullet button and 10 round mag

PredatAR 5.56 Overview

The PredatAR 5.56 is designed for those who are searching for a lightweight, ultra-reliable and accurate 5.56 mm NATO rifle for home-defense, competition-shooting or hunting. The PredatAR takes the highly accurate OBR 5.56 “Lite” design, and lightens it in every possible way with the least possible impact to the accuracy that the standard OBR is known for. By contouring the barrel, skeletonizing the handguard, lowering and simplifying the upper rail, and using a low-profile gas block, we were able to reduce roughly 2 pounds from the standard OBR 5.56 rifle.

The barrels are LW-50 stainless steel, lightweight-profiled, Wylde chambered and feature polygonal rifling in a 1/8 twist rate. LW-50 Stainless has proven itself for over 15 years, in military and civilian uses ranging from sniper, tactical, target, and other high-performance applications where long life and accuracy are critical. All barrels are threaded in ½ x 28, with an A2 flash hider attached* (other muzzle devices can be added at an additional cost).

The handguards on the PredatAR extend out 14.75”, to suit a larger range of shooting styles. The zero-MOA upper rail provides plenty of room for weapon-mounted night-vision day/night combinations. Both the upper and lower are CNC-machined from billet 7075-T6, for the optimum fit and consistency. Even though we lightened certain features, there is still additional material in strategic areas to achieve maximum accuracy. Each rifle ships with one, 3” long, MIL-STD-1913 detachable rail section.

Both models come with a 6-position Magpul MOE Stock and Pistol Grip in Magpul Olive Drab (OD). The Bolt Carriers are hand-polished hard-chrome with max-staked carrier keys, with Texas-Spec Bolt assemblies. The lower assembly has the proven Geissele Two-Stage trigger.

(Iron Sights, Optics and QD mounts not included in price)
Base model includes OD Magpul MOE Stock and Pistol Grip, 1 Aluminum Magazine, 1 Rail Strip, and A2 Flash Hider
LaRue Tactical Rifle Sales to “Ban States”
(Read if your rifle is being shipped to CA, CT, HI, MD, MA, NJ, NY, or WA)

Rifles with features including flash suppressors, bayonet lugs, collapsible stocks and high-capacity magazines are subject to regulation in certain States, Counties, and Cities.

How does LaRue Tactical configure rifles for “Ban States”?
LaRue Rifles will ship with low-capacity (10-Round) magazines as appropriate
LaRue Tactical will pin and weld a muzzle device (of any type we sell in accordance with local law)
LaRue Tactical will not pin a collapsible stock (in those cases, we ship with a fixed A2 Stock)
LaRue Rifles have no bayonet lug

It is important to know that the extension tube of an A2 stock is different from that of a collapsible stock.

---------------------Induvidual State Variances Below --------------------------------------------

Below, are the individual “Ban State” exceptions to our standard rifle configurations:
LaRue Tactical Rifle customers need to check their own State, County, and City laws to determine the legality of rifles with these features.

CALIFORNIA:
- LaRue Tactical Rifles ship with fixed (Bullet Button) magazine configuration, and 10-Round Magazines

CONNECTICUT:
- LaRue Tactical Rifles ship with pinned and welded Muzzle Device, Fixed A2 Stock

HAWAII:
- LaRue Tactical Rifles ship with 10-Round Magazines

MARYLAND:
- LaRue Tactical Rifles ship with 20-Round Magazines

MASSACHUSETTS:
- LaRue Tactical Rifles ship with pinned and welded Muzzle Device, Fixed A2 Stock, 10-Round Magazines

NEW JERSEY:
- LaRue Tactical Rifles ship with pinned and welded Muzzle Device, Fixed A2 Stock, 10-Round Magazines

NEW YORK:

WASHINGTON:
- No Short Barreled Rifles (SBR’s), or barrels less than 16.1” in total length.

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 03-11-2012, 9:47 AM

Can someone say echo!! lol beat me to it

Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.
Old 03-11-2012, 9:56 AM
CGN Contributor

Nice.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrExel17 View Post
I say SCAR +1..

SCAR= unique but keep in mind that comes with loong waits "IF" parts are needed, never heard of it, yet. light weight, reliable, and when I use it on Call of Duty it never fails, its super accurate (Im kidding) I use the UMP.45

LaRue = Another AR/namebrand, might as well build your own with top shelve parts and save some cash for accessories & ammo.

Just keep in mind buy what you like and that makes you happy. Keep us posted on what you decided and remember post pix.
SCAR parts are readily available now from third party vendors:
http://www.hi-desertdog.com/fnh-acce...17-parts-.html

By the time you build an AR configured similar to the Larue it would be very close costwise, but you won't have Larue's excellent customer service.

I got the gold SCAR Light and UMP 45 as I have their civilian versions, but I prefer the P90. I got 200 rounds on tap and allows me to move quicker.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Nice.
Time to start supporting them now huh?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
THIS. A++++++++
Old 03-11-2012, 10:13 AM

SCAR all the way. The Larue one is just another AR-15 platform.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:19 AM

Larue is not your typical AR, it MAY look like the average Volkswagen from a distance, but once you get close, it feels & drives like a Cadillac. I got both my Larue OBR 5.56 & 7.62 in CA not long ago, no problem getting them.

SCAR is new, may or may not stay, too expensive. But, if I was going for a new look & willing to spend the extra $900, I guess SCAR would win.

I don't own a SCAR, but people that have shot both, most agree that Larue is more accurate. Before I got my OBRs, one of the contenders for my pocket book was SCAR.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:08 AM

La Rue all the way! That SCAR can not hold a candle to anything that La Rue can produce. LT rifles are by far some of the most accurate and reliable guns I have ever shot. I have over 1500 rounds threw an OBR 7.62 and haven never ever had a malfunction. I have run that bad boy bone dry and it amazing.

Last edited by Mobius38; 03-11-2012 at 11:12 AM..
Old 03-11-2012, 11:18 AM

For my personal taste, I don't really like part of the PredatAR. If I was getting one, I would use it for short range, if possible, have Larue cut down the handguard by 3", swap for the OBR heavy barrel instead, chop that down to about 14.5" and weld/pin a SureFire muzzle break on it to make it the legal 16". But, that's just me on how I would burn money hence the reason why I got the OBR 5.56 instead, since I mainly am going to mount an Aimpoint Micro for now, but may throw a scope on it later, probably not though, but still like to have that option open.

Last edited by TreeHugger; 03-11-2012 at 11:22 AM..
Old 03-11-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
Wonder how I got all these Larues in CA..

I'm gonna guess that the answer to that is with lots of disposable income.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:13 PM

Yeah, I guess the LaRue looks like "just another AR" so for that the SCAR gets a point for being different from what everyone else has. However, I personally think the SCAR is extremely UGLY. I think the whole stock is a big part of that. So, LaRue takes back the lead. This, of course, is only basing a decision on looks and not function, lol.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:13 PM

Location: Where they tax you on everything and give you the shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpunkyJivl View Post
SCAR all the way. The Larue one is just another AR-15 platform.
+1.

Also, like it's been mentioned, the SCAR is lighter.

Nothing against LaRue as it's got great products, but since it's an AR platform, what does other top notch brands cannot do that a LaRue can do?
Old 03-11-2012, 12:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Larue is good, but its just another AR. Nothing you couldnt build yourself.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

If you're hell bent on spending too much I'd get the OBR 16" or wait until they have their predatar with the OBR heavier profile barrel (I'm not a fan of lightweight "match" barrels for that I'd stick to gov't profile chrome lined).

I have zip for experience with the SCAR, sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Rifle View Post
By the time you build an AR configured similar to the Larue it would be very close costwise
Not hard to build an AR with decent handguards, match trigger/barrel and magpul stock for around 1200. If you want monolithic upper probably 1400-1500.
Old 03-11-2012, 1:01 PM
Veteran Member

Calling a Larue a glorifed AR is like calling a Surgeon Scalpel a glorified Remington 700.
...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 03-11-2012, 1:51 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Who said anything about "glorified"?
It IS an AR, nothing to argue about.
Old 03-11-2012, 1:59 PM
Veteran Member

I think "BernardKaram" did. :P

...Slow, deep breath in followed by two quick, shallow exhales, then one long breath out. It should sound like "HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo". Once your comfortable with that breathing pattern, try to sync the tempo up with your heart rate. "Lub-dub...HEE HEE HOOOOOOOOooooooo... etc". ~ CBruce
Old 03-11-2012, 2:20 PM
Veteran Member

SCAR parts are readily available.
Old 03-11-2012, 2:37 PM
Veteran Member

When did this thread shift to **** larue? Seriously they never claimed the PredatAR to be a new evolution or anything of the sort. It's exactly what you think it is, a heavily modified ultra light AR-15 and thats whats great about it. It can do exactly the same as most other AR's in the 1500 price range. Somethings a little better and some things on par. It basically comes down to how much money you want to spend on JUST the rifle and if you want to attention at the range.

I would go for the Larue simply because of the 1000 price difference, there is NOTHING the SCAR can do that the Larue can't to justify spending that much more on it.
Old 03-11-2012, 2:56 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FUGASOFF View Post
THIS. A++++++++
I swear you guys are your own worst enemy. LaRue has been shipping to California for a long time now!
Old 03-11-2012, 3:38 PM

Only reason I said its a 'glorified' AR is because of the praise it gets. I never meant to say its anything better than other AR's or even different. Hang around these forums for a while and you will come to see most members jump on a brand wagon and Larue is one of those "favored" AR's.

Personally its nothing a Delton cant do.
Old 03-11-2012, 3:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardKaram View Post
Only reason I said its a 'glorified' AR is because of the praise it gets. I never meant to say its anything better than other AR's or even different. Hang around these forums for a while and you will come to see most members jump on a brand wagon and Larue is one of those "favored" AR's.

Personally its nothing a Delton cant do.
Really? Which Del-Ton model comes with a pencil-profile stainless steel barrel? Which Del-Ton model comes with a hard-chromed BCG with properly staked gas keys? Which Del-Ton model comes with a light-weight, full-length, user-configurable handguard? Which Del-Ton comes stock with a two-stage Geissele trigger? Which Del-Ton model comes with LaRue's proprietary XTRAXN or something similar?

Sure you can buy a Del-Ton and dress it up with aftermarket parts, but then you have a mutt of a rifle, with potentially shoddy workmanship depending on who installed the parts and how skilled they are, with a billion different manufacturers you need to go to when something goes wrong, and in the end it's still a Del-Ton.

With the LaRue (or any similar premium rifle -- Knights SR-15, Noveske Recon, etc...) you pretty much have the guarantee that everything is going to be exactly built to spec, will be fully backed by the ONE manufacturer that you bought it from (and they'll do it with a smile on their face), and that the rifle will run like a raped ape.

Your ignorant analogy about Del-Tons implied that none of this was the case. There is a reason that the LaRue costs $1500 and the Del-Ton costs $700.

ETA: Besides, do you really want to do business with a company that treats its customers like this?

Last edited by tuna quesadilla; 03-11-2012 at 3:59 PM..
Old 03-11-2012, 5:14 PM

Just picked up a scar and I have nothing but good to say about it. Other than magazine issues I have had with the Promag (not P-mag). The recoil is non-existent and with a battlecomp, it feels like a completely different system than an standard AR. You really have to shoot it to appreciate it, otherwise you're taking a leap of faith like i did.

There really shouldn't be a comparison between the two different systems. If I was in the market for an AR, i'd definitely shell out for a larue. Larue makes awesome products and i know it's a marketing plug, but Chris Costa won't just slap his name on everything.

The SCAR on the otherhand just looks awesome, and it is battle-ready (just like the larue). The spares are now available, and rumors of barrel swaps are starting to emerge for the coming year. Let's not forget that this system is relatively new in the market.

If you already have an AR, get the SCAR. Because, many who own the SCAR and ACR would agree that the AR is still the go-to weapon. But if you don't have an AR get a SCAR in FDE and buy a stripped lower.

But if you're in the market for a .308, then the SCAR 17 beats out any system. Also with the new contracts that the SCAR 17 is getting, the civilin supply is expected to run low. Check out the FNHforums for news updates.

Here's a very informative review:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_2/280...sted_PG_1.html
Old 03-11-2012, 5:16 PM

you know, from re-reading that review I posted... get the SCAR. they make AR's everywhere and all the time.