Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-09-2012, 5:30 AM

Default Taurus PT 99 AFS Used Value?

Howdy All

We got some guns in on consignment yesterday.

I'm digging this Taurus PT 99 AFS - it's the adjustable sight version of the PT 92 Beretta clone. Stainless barrel, Slide, and nickel plated frame.

Here's a link to it: PT 99

I didn't find too much info here with a search, but google turned up alot of positives - with a 5" barrel there's much talk of holding decent groups at 50 yds or further, which is what I'm looking for. I like the sights alot. It's been called a nail driver, and there are several reports of 10,000+ rounds without a single issue.

Blue Book Values look like this:

Was made in 1999. 100% condish is $495, 90% is $325. Low end of 60% is $165. I'm thinking this one is around 90%? It's in great condish for sure, but I don't think it could be more than 90%.

Interested to know what you think. Maybe it take it down and look for wear... Hogue makes a nice set of rubber gribs I'd want to try, the plastic grips on this suck ***.

Does that sound about right, $300-ish? There's one 10 rd mag and a few others, I guess they are 17 rd mags.... Not that I'd ever use them in this state.....

Thanks

CM
Old 03-09-2012, 6:05 AM

$350-$375

Maybe $400 because of its finish.
P99 1st Gen
CZ P01
Sig p226
Sig P228
Springfield Armory Range Officer 9mm
Old 03-09-2012, 8:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrara View Post
$350-$375

Maybe $400 because of its finish.
Hmmm...

Now that I look around, retail price on new is around $475-ish shipped....for a PT92 in Stainless.

My figures from above were from 2011 Blue Book, for the SS model, not the blued model. Looked at the mags again, they are all 10 rds.

$400 seems high... Given that I'm working at a gun shop, the only reason I guess to go with this over new at the high-end of value is that it's got adj sights and they don't make the 99 anymore. For it to be worth it I'll have to stick to the low price of it's condition. Was thinking of offering $300 or possibly the $325 quoted at the 90% condish.

I'll have our gunsmith look at it later today for wear - the wear is evident but supposedly not an issue with these guns.

out

Last edited by Colonel Monk; 03-09-2012 at 8:16 AM.. Reason: retardation
Old 03-09-2012, 9:06 AM
Honey Badger
CGN Contributor

There's a reason they stopped making the adjustable sight slides. They sucked. I have a PT101 that sheared the sight cross pin and sent sight parts flying. his was on it's first outing, barely a couple hundred rounds. You couldn't "just" get replacements from Taurus. You had to send in the whole slide. They sent back a new slide. In between that time they had some adjustments in their machining. Slide wouldn't fit with old guide. The hole in the slide was too small. Took almost a year and half from start to finish to get the gun shooting again. Haven't fired it since. Won't sell either my PT99 blued or my "stainless" PT101 because I have design spec mags for them. Lots of mags.
Adjustable sight models used to cost more, but in this case my opinion says they're more of a potential problem than a plus. You should probably charge less for the adj. sights and not more. Just my opinion. If anything just charge the same. Again just my opinion.
Other than the sight thing, great guns.
Ryan

Last edited by wamphyri13; 03-09-2012 at 9:09 AM..
Old 03-09-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamphyri13 View Post
There's a reason they stopped making the adjustable sight slides. They sucked. I have a PT101 that sheared the sight cross pin and sent sight parts flying. his was on it's first outing, barely a couple hundred rounds. You couldn't "just" get replacements from Taurus. You had to send in the whole slide. They sent back a new slide. In between that time they had some adjustments in their machining. Slide wouldn't fit with old guide. The hole in the slide was too small. Took almost a year and half from start to finish to get the gun shooting again. Haven't fired it since. Won't sell either my PT99 blued or my "stainless" PT101 because I have design spec mags for them. Lots of mags.
Adjustable sight models used to cost more, but in this case my opinion says they're more of a potential problem than a plus. You should probably charge less for the adj. sights and not more. Just my opinion. If anything just charge the same. Again just my opinion.
Other than the sight thing, great guns.
Ryan
Thanks for that. I read a silmilar account, but other reviewer stated that it took 1000s of rounds to break the pin, and that his gunsmith was easily able to fashion a new pin for it and charged him $0.00 to fix it.... Of course, as always, YMMV and all that.

Which pin is it, the little horizontal one? The vertical one feels like it's just a plunger. As for the side pin, I can see why taurus wanted to warranty it by sending it back but the pin would be easy to push out, and since it's open from both sides it would be easy buy something generic and repair seems like.

That actually helps me a little, I'm the guy who wants to buy it. Feels nice in my hands and the accuracy reports have me intrigued but I don't want to have much invested. Being able to buy a new one 92 at cost I'm looking to get it for a song. The seller is dumping a bunch of guns I don't think he would refuse any reasonable offer.

Regards,

CM
Old 03-09-2012, 3:04 PM

I have a PT99 from 1991 and have broken the pin twice in the past 12 months. The last time, Taurus just sent me a pin.
Old 03-09-2012, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDawson View Post
I have a PT99 from 1991 and have broken the pin twice in the past 12 months. The last time, Taurus just sent me a pin.
Howdy:

Curious, how many rounds did it take broken pin to broken pin?

Horizontal pin, right? Did you need a press to remove or does it come out easily?

CM
Old 03-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Honey Badger
CGN Contributor

A little more info for you.
Yes it was the horizontal pin. It's the cross pin that holds the sight on. When this happened to me, it was within the first 200 rounds. This was sometime pre 2000 if I remember correctly. What took so long was the guide rod. When I got the new slide, (no charge as it was warrantied by Taurus) they appeared to have changed their machining specs. The old guide rod was too big for the hole in the new slide. Talked to Taurus and they said they would send me a new one. When it was back in stock. That took almost a year. And I checked with them at least once a month.
I had to send my slide in as at that time, that was the only way Taurus would take care of it. Plus something was lost when the sights went flying.
My recommendation is this. Buy the 99. They are good guns. My 99 was bought new in 1992. It was my first new gun purchase at 21. It's the older model with the closer serrations on the slide and no decocker. The 101 is a couple years newer in stainless with the decocker. Neither have the rail. Buy the 99 and keep an eye out on the auction sights for a used 92 slide. Then just slap it on and you're good. No more worries.
As I said, it's one of the few models of Taurus I have no problem with purchasing. I would just get fixed sights. Plus 17 round mags are fun!!
Ryan

Last edited by wamphyri13; 03-09-2012 at 11:53 PM.. Reason: added pics
Old 03-10-2012, 4:03 AM
Veteran Member

I had a blued pt99. The rear sight had to be replaced because the adjustments wouldn't hold from recoil and the point of aim would change. Taurus worked on it and it was somewhat better but not perfect. It also broke a locking block. If you really want the gun offer the guy $300-$325.