Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-08-2012, 8:13 PM

Default Italian made Beretta 92FS?

Does anyone know any gun shop in the Sacramento area or Yolo county that sell Beretta 92FS that are made in Italy. IMO, the Italian ones have better craftsmanship and better finish on the weapon than the US made ones even though they are the same weapon. I think one obvious telltale is that the Italian have a blued slide, which give that slight shine while the US ones have dull slide. I'm sure both are equally functional and reliable but I just like that little boost in the looks department. Well, I got lucky without realizing it and snatched up an Italian one a year ago at River City but now they only have the US made ones. Seems like every stores around here just carry the US made ones. If anyone knows a place that sell Italian imported ones, please let me know.
On a side note, it seems that the Italian parts and US parts are not interchangeable? I took my friend's US made slide and tried to put on my Italian made one but they won't fit. The US slide is a lot wider. I guess the US copies are not made to the same spec as the original Italian?
Old 03-08-2012, 8:57 PM

I've looked around as well and no luck with Italian made. I walked into a local shop and asked for an Italian Beretta and they looked at me crazy.
Old 03-08-2012, 9:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Try RCGE...
Old 03-08-2012, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenkeen View Post
Try RCGE...
I saw one on consignment (or maybe used?) about 3 weeks ago. Trying to find a West German SIG myself
Old 03-09-2012, 5:35 AM
Veteran Member

If they are all 92fs the parts should be interchangable, regardless. The specs. are the same. A pistol made after 1985 should have the Bruniton finish, certianly the newer ones all do.

"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well and live."

"Is that a desert country?" "No; a fat country; fat people." "You are not fat?" "No. I'm different..."
Old 03-09-2012, 5:40 AM
#BlackLabsMatter
CGN Contributor

Location: You can not protect the 1st Amendment without the 2nd Amendment........

I have a pre-1985 Italian made 92S, original owner.
It is a beautiful gun.
Old 03-09-2012, 6:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTH10 View Post
IMO, the Italian ones have better craftsmanship and better finish on the weapon than the US made ones even though they are the same weapon.
I would've agreed with the Beretta 92s of the late 1980s and early 1990s. However, the gap in quality in today's 92FS/M9 is on par.

Based on my experience of owning a recently made (2009) Italian 92FS and handling my friend's brand new commerical M9 (made in USA). The Italian has a nicer finish, while the US made one had better parts fitting.

Some notable difference between Italian and US made 92FS:
-Chrome-lining extends up to the muzzle crown on Italian, it ends up to the rifling for the US made (US military spec: they wanted less glare facing toward target).
-More markings on the Italian (proof marks, date of manufacture letter code, importation marks)
-The Italian has a roll pin on the mainspring housing, solid pin on the US made (better IMO)
-On the Inox (stainless) models, the small parts are black in color in US made, Italian uses stainless parts but has a painted finish on the frame.

Quote:
I think one obvious telltale is that the Italian have a blued slide, which give that slight shine while the US ones have dull slide.
Negative, only the original Italian Beretta 92 made in the late 1970s/early 80s had a true blued finish. Today both manufacturers have the slide parkerized with manganese phosphate as a primer then coated with Bruniton (sprayed and baked epoxy resin with inert teflon)
Both factories make their own Bruniton thus possible slight discrepancy in glare and consistancy

Quote:
On a side note, it seems that the Italian parts and US parts are not interchangeable?
If they are the same models, all parts should be interchangable. Note that 92F slide is not compatible with 92FS frames and that brigadier/elite slides are made thicker than standard ones. The small parts on the US made are actually imported from Italy.

Last edited by Günter; 03-09-2012 at 6:51 AM..
Old 03-09-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouperMan View Post
I saw one on consignment (or maybe used?) about 3 weeks ago. Trying to find a West German SIG myself
Yes West German made SIG is amazing. My friend has one and the difference between the finish is like day and night. I haven't shot much SIG so I can't compare but his particular SIG has THE BEST trigger pull on a handgun I've ever seen. If I see one, I would snatch it up. Who's the foreign manufacturer of SIG now and what's their quality? Do they export to here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gem1950 View Post
If they are all 92fs the parts should be interchangable, regardless. The specs. are the same. A pistol made after 1985 should have the Bruniton finish, certianly the newer ones all do.
That's weird. Maybe mine was in stock for the longest time ever, before they changed the spec to the current ones? All I know is that I bought it brand new but I don't know the date of manufacture. Is there a stamp on the gun or a way to find out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Günter View Post
I would've agreed with the Beretta 92s of the late 1980s and early 1990s. However, the gap in quality in today's 92FS/M9 is on par.

Based on my experience of owning a recently made (2009) Italian 92FS and handling my friend's brand new commerical M9 (made in USA). The Italian has a nicer finish, while the US made one had better parts fitting.

Some notable difference between Italian and US made 92FS:
-Chrome-lining extends up to the muzzle crown on Italian, it ends up to the rifling for the US made (US military spec: they wanted less glare facing toward target).
-More markings on the Italian (proof marks, date of manufacture letter code, importation marks)
-The Italian has a roll pin on the mainspring housing, solid pin on the US made (better IMO)
-On the Inox (stainless) models, the small parts are black in color in US made, Italian uses stainless parts but has a painted finish on the frame.

Negative, only the original Italian Beretta 92 made in the late 1970s/early 80s had a true blued finish. Today both manufacturers have the slide parkerized with manganese phosphate as a primer then coated with Bruniton (sprayed and baked epoxy resin with inert teflon)
Both factories make their own Bruniton thus possible slight discrepancy in glare and consistancy

If they are the same models, all parts should be interchangable. Note that 92F slide is not compatible with 92FS frames and that brigadier/elite slides are made thicker than standard ones. The small parts on the US made are actually imported from Italy.
Yes my Italian Beretta 92FS has a shiny muzzle crown, which I thought was interesting but I liked it. Does yours have the warning and "read manual before use" engraved on the frame?
And you're right about the finish not being blued. After you mentioned it, I realized that it really doesn't have that special something of a blued gun. That's some good info to know about my Beretta.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:43 AM

Wild Bill's in EG had one when I was there a few weeks ago. Not sure if they still have it anymore. Give them a call.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:45 AM

For some reason, there seems to be a discrepancy between the Italian made ones. I met this guy at the range once who had an Inox Beretta 92FS with the roughest slide finish and slide pull and it jammed constantly like every other round. The slide pull felt like two metal filers gliding against each other... At first, I thought no way that this could be the Italian made ones, but it is. Any idea on why this is?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac-AR15 View Post
Wild Bill's in EG had one when I was there a few weeks ago. Not sure if they still have it anymore. Give them a call.
Cool, thanks. I didn't know about this shop until now.
Old 03-09-2012, 1:05 PM

Quote:
Does yours have the warning and "read manual before use" engraved on the frame?
Yes it does, I believe all US and Italian Beretta 92FS made somewhere after mid 1990s were all stamped with warning lables on the frame. The only exception is the M9.
Old 03-09-2012, 1:52 PM

I bought my Italian 92FS at RCGE three months ago
Old 03-09-2012, 2:06 PM
Calguns Addict

I had an Italian 92F and a US 92FS. They were identical for all practical purposes.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:08 PM

I just picked up an Italian made 92fs Inox this past weekend (year 1991).....my brother has a newer 92fs (usa made one). We shot them side by side this weekend and honestly, couldn't really tell much difference.

Last edited by ConeKiller; 02-21-2013 at 7:17 PM..
Old 03-12-2012, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

Bud's has-had the Italy 10 shot's for 540 shipped recently...TOOOOOOOO tempting. I'll pick up a 92 one day...one day
Old 03-17-2012, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart in santa rosa View Post
Bud's has-had the Italy 10 shot's for 540 shipped recently...TOOOOOOOO tempting. I'll pick up a 92 one day...one day
They ship to cali?