Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-10-2016, 12:43 PM

Default threaded barrel on a "pistol" and magazine in front of the pistol grip

sorry if this a noob question but i was just at one of my local gun stores during lunch time
we were talking about ar pistols, the clerk which is also a gun nut brought up a point about 80% pistol build being ca legal, i informed him that i was on this forum/site and have read about atf/nfa definitions
he said ""if" i was wanting to build from an 80% i should also look into cali penal code 1202 or something like that since california has their own definition from federal definitions
if anyone is aware of this or has an idea of what he was talking about can you point me in the right direction
i tried looking it up but not getting anywhere right now
the points we talked about was threaded barrel on a "pistol" definition and magazine in front of the pistol grip may fall into a "tech gun" definition

just want to be legal and in the know "if" i decided to participate and have pictures in this thread
Old 02-10-2016, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTYLUVN View Post
sorry if this a noob question but i was just at one of my local gun stores during lunch time
we were talking about ar pistols, the clerk which is also a gun nut brought up a point about 80% pistol build being ca legal, i informed him that i was on this forum/site and have read about atf/nfa definitions
he said ""if" i was wanting to build from an 80% i should also look into cali penal code 1202 or something like that since california has their own definition from federal definitions
if anyone is aware of this or has an idea of what he was talking about can you point me in the right direction
the points we talked about was threaded barrel on a "pistol" definition and magazine in front of the pistol grip may fall into a "tech gun" definition

just want to be legal and in the know "if" i decided to participate and have pictures in this thread

Ahahahahahahaha! Another Nazi California democrat cop tryin to make name for himself/herself. What a joke. Thank God I moved out of California.
Old 02-10-2016, 1:57 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

The difference there is they don't have a detachable magazine.
I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.
Old 02-10-2016, 4:44 PM

this is a photo thread, ask questions in the correct areas, or start your own thread

to make it simple, intertech is a brand name thats not allowed that brand name is banned
unless tech gun means something else that ive never heard of

ar pistols have mag locks, so you can have threaded barrel

Quote:

Old 02-10-2016, 9:56 PM
short bus driver

Quote:

In order to be legal under Federal and CA laws...

The "80% receiver" needs to be made into a dimensionally complaint (minimum 6" barrel length + minimum 10.5" overall length) bolt-action single shot pistol or a dimensionally complaint (minimum 6" barrel length + minimum 10.5" overall length) break-top/open single shot pistol. [PC 32100(b)]

A single shot pistol can legally have a threaded barrel.
-Only semi-auto pistols that accept detachable magazines can not legally have a threaded barrel, second handgrip, barrel shroud, or the ability to accept a magazine outside of the pistol grip. [PC 30515(a)(4)]

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 02-11-2016, 6:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnboywalton View Post
Ahahahahahahaha! Another Nazi California democrat cop tryin to make name for himself/herself. What a joke. Thank God I moved out of California.
i knew i was gonna get flamed for asking this question
remember you were in this position at one time in your life of building stuff like cars, guns, etc

this is a legitimate question, believe it or not there are people who want to stay legit and legal when it comes to building/aquiring guns here in california

i didnt ask for reasons why i can or cant from anyone, i asked for help on finding a link to the penal code the clerk at the gun counter mentioned

for some of us we cant/dont just move out of california like you
all my immediate family is here and i dont wanna shovel snow because thats where the extended families live

thank you for looking at me thread but if you cant help me with my question please move on and not accuse me of being someone im not
Old 02-11-2016, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky_lover View Post
this is a photo thread, ask questions in the correct areas, or start your own thread

to make it simple, intertech is a brand name thats not allowed that brand name is banned
unless tech gun means something else that ive never heard of

ar pistols have mag locks, so you can have threaded barrel
sorry for hi-jacking the pic thread, i did a search and the thread came up so i was hoping i could ask the question real quick, i want to have my own pic of my own pistol in the thread soon
Old 02-11-2016, 7:05 AM

looks like this has been taken out of the photo thread now
Old 02-11-2016, 7:06 AM

also remember since 2015 there are new rules to building a pistol compared to 2014 and earlier

someone posted above the newer rules when building
Old 02-11-2016, 7:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
In order to be legal under Federal and CA laws...

The "80% receiver" needs to be made into a dimensionally complaint (minimum 6" barrel length + minimum 10.5" overall length) bolt-action single shot pistol or a dimensionally complaint (minimum 6" barrel length + minimum 10.5" overall length) break-top/open single shot pistol. [PC 32100(b)]

A single shot pistol can legally have a threaded barrel.
-Only semi-auto pistols that accept detachable magazines can not legally have a threaded barrel, second handgrip, barrel shroud, or the ability to accept a magazine outside of the pistol grip. [PC 30515(a)(4)]
thank you for your help
i have read about the minimum lengths and such
i will review the PC 30515 because i have not read that one yet and it seems like it might be the code the clerk was reffering to

so if i tac weld 1 or 2 spots on the muzzle device and my barrel will qualify it as permanent and non-threaded or would i have to completely weld it closed?

the build i have in mind is demensionally compliant like you mentioned above its making it cali legal on all aspects
if i do such build it will be on a 80% so all the help and info on making it ca compliant will be appreciated
Old 02-11-2016, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky_lover View Post
also remember since 2015 there are new rules to building a pistol compared to 2014 and earlier

someone posted above the newer rules when building
i read somewhere on here about the new 2015 rules
i remember it saying it had to start out as single shot and people mentioned using a single shot sled to make it meet the single shot requirement
and take pics of build step by step
Old 02-11-2016, 9:55 AM
Veteran Member

Not that I recommend breaking a law but isn't it near impossible to know when an 80% was built? I for one for various reasons do not do 80%'s. When I leave CA I'll sure miss that I can't surf and ski on same day anymore! Really seriously has anyone here done that before? I've been to two gun shows on one day before though!
Old 02-11-2016, 10:52 AM

^^ that is the reason why im asking questions
its builders words vs authorities words but keeping it as legal as possible hopefully would be more in the favor of the builder if something should happen

california has "their own" definitions and rules aside from federal so it just makes it that much harder to be legal
Old 02-11-2016, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
^^ that is the reason why im asking questions
its builders words vs authorities words but keeping it as legal as possible hopefully would be more in the favor of the builder if something should happen

california has "their own" definitions and rules aside from federal so it just makes it that much harder to be legal
That's the point. Unless you're a LEO on some level, only criminals have guns according to them. And if you're not a criminal yet, they'll make it so that will be with the next law they pass.
I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:43 AM

i see where your coming from
i guess i wont be building an "AR PISTOL"

thanks for the help guys
Old 02-11-2016, 2:03 PM

from what I understand with the new rules
build the ar pistol from an 80%

keep off the gas block on the barrel
use a vise mag block or convert a mag or buy a single shot block, since that only allows one round to the chamber
and add the mag lock (bullet button)

and now you built a single shot, break open loading ar pistol

once its built that way you can now add the gas block, 10rd mag

this is how I understand the rules, dont quote me on any of this

as for the muzzle device it doesnt need to be welded, you can change out the tips whenever you want

as long as the mag lock is and always has been installed its fine

only thing you cant add is vertical grip unless its over a certain length but you would need to look up the length
if you have no need for a vertical grip then just dont worry about it

and of course no stock on the buffer tube
you can use foam, or arm braces on the tube and never shoulder the tube that includes the foam cover
keep it against the cheek
Old 02-12-2016, 7:00 AM

thanks chunky,
i was aware of all that and would build it in that fashion
it was the comment the clerk at the gun store mentioned that got me thinking about it how stupid california laws can be and i just needed second opinions/inputs
Old 02-12-2016, 7:13 AM

also remember just because they work at a gun store doesnt make them experts on every subject either

you can still buy true single shot ak pistols from atlantic firearms
and then convert to semi auto once you get it, or just keep it single shot

since the ar platform is so easy to do yourself thats what everyone does
Old 02-12-2016, 10:22 AM

by no means is this clerk an expert, since im always in there we talk alot and have a mutual understand and help each other where we can.

the more informed the better i always say, even if its being too paranoid i rather be home with my family then be locked up somewhere

honestly i have never been a fan of AR or AK but since things are getting crazy with the government i figured its time to get one just in case a need arises

it is true all gun enthusiast should have one, i just been putting it off because i never really cared to have one

may look into an AK soon but funds are limited right now

thanks again chunky for the info
Old 02-12-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
i knew i was gonna get flamed for asking this question
remember you were in this position at one time in your life of building stuff like cars, guns, etc

this is a legitimate question, believe it or not there are people who want to stay legit and legal when it comes to building/aquiring guns here in california

i didnt ask for reasons why i can or cant from anyone, i asked for help on finding a link to the penal code the clerk at the gun counter mentioned

for some of us we cant/dont just move out of california like you
all my immediate family is here and i dont wanna shovel snow because thats where the extended families live

thank you for looking at me thread but if you cant help me with my question please move on and not accuse me of being someone im not
If you know you are going to be flamed, then why did you post??
You are on the webs posting. Just Google PC 1202xxx or what ever number and about half a Zillion links will come up.

No I like most here, do not remember being a noob and wanting to home make the gun with the grayest and/or most legal problems. Most start with just the regular store bought guns without any legal hoops.

Your question just reeks of this :
" "Ahahahahahahaha! Another Nazi California democrat cop tryin to make name for himself/herself. What a joke. Thank God I moved out of California. " "

with the excuse of not finding a link for Calif PC. Makes more than a few to suspect something may be fishy.

You post an IFFY question, do not complain about what answers you get. You do not need to prove you are or are not.
Most information that helps write anti gun laws, limiting guns, and getting gun manufacturers in trouble is collected in places like here or similar public forums.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidad01 View Post
You are on the webs posting. Just Google PC 1202xxx or what ever number and about half a Zillion links will come up.

No I like most here, do not remember being a noob and wanting to home make the gun with the grayest and/or most legal problems. Most start with just the regular store bought guns without any legal hoops.

" "Ahahahahahahaha! Another Nazi California democrat cop tryin to make name for himself/herself. What a joke. Thank God I moved out of California. " "

with the excuse of not finding a link for Calif PC. Makes more than a few to suspect something may be fishy.

You post an IFFY question, do not complain about what answers you get. You do not need to prove you are or are not.
Most information that helps write anti gun laws, limiting guns, and getting gun manufacturers in trouble is collected in places like here or similar public forums.
EXACTLY. And not to mention the VERY recent sign up date and lack of posts.....

These bastardos have no qualms with violating any part of the constitution and bill of rights to lock you up and brand you a felon. Forever barred from owning a weapon and voting in elections. STOP responding to them. They're popping up ALL over this and several other websites. It's ALWAYS the same questions. How do I build a AR PISTOL, 80%er, SBR, SILENCER ETC ETC ETC.? Where can I buy a : fill in the blank.
IGNORE THEM.
Old 02-12-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidad01 View Post

if i knew where to start i wouldnt have asked the question
i have my share of store bought legit guns so im no noob to it
just want to get a better understanding of what i might be getting myself into

i expected to be flamed because on any kind of forum noob questions always get replies like yours
yes i googled what i thought he said pc 12xxx, didnt get me anywhere thats why i asked the question, didnt even know where to start asking questions so i also made the mistake of asking it in a pic thread, i figured since it was a pic thread of pistols maybe someone would be kind enough to direct me in a correct direction like **chunky** did

i do not need to prove myself to anyone, i just need to be able to prove myself innocent and law abiding if i get accused of building an illegal weapon
Old 02-12-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
if i knew where to start i wouldnt have asked the question
i have my share of store bought legit guns so im no noob to it
just want to get a better understanding of what i might be getting myself into

i expected to be flamed because on any kind of forum noob questions always get replies like yours
yes i googled what i thought he said pc 12xxx, didnt get me anywhere thats why i asked the question, didnt even know where to start asking questions so i also made the mistake of asking it in a pic thread, i figured since it was a pic thread of pistols maybe someone would be kind enough to direct me in a correct direction like **chunky** did

i do not need to prove myself to anyone, i just need to be able to prove myself innocent and law abiding if i get accused of building an illegal weapon

So, what inspired you to seek a career in law enforcement?
Old 02-12-2016, 11:56 AM

Since im getting to the point of not having anything nice to say and respond to you with im gonna let you think what you want about "ME" being law enforcement.

you would probly accuse me of something else anyways

have fun where ever you moved out of california to, enjoy your freedom where ever that is at, as for us that are still here in cali that have rules and laws to abide by, many more noobs or "leo" in your eyes will be asking "shady, leo bait type questions" like mines

have a safe and wonderful day