Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 10-08-2017, 10:44 AM

Default Insanity Subsided... Beretta 92FS as next gun?

The insanity has subsided... I'm thinking about going for a Beretta 92FS with possibly Recover grips, it felt nice in the hand to be honest, a bit cheaper than my Sig Sauer P226. Should I get the recover grips, which are 50 bucks, or save the 50 bucks for different grips. I figured it would be nice to get the 92FS because I've handled it a fair bit being in the US Navy. Current guns are in my signature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gryffinwings View Post
So.... yesterday I was at the range shooting my new Sig P226, what an excellent firearm in stock form, I will definitely have to get the SRT for it.

After shooting I decided to look at the guns they had, they had 2 Desert eagles, 1 stainless and 1 bronze finish on display. I asked to look at the Bronze one, I must say it was a nice gun....

but....

The temptation is starting to fade... I realized very heavy, and big grips... I think what I had was...

Ginormous Handgun Syndrome... where all logic goes out the window and insanity ensues...

I did handle a nice Beretta 92FS with Recover grips on it, and I found that to be rather nice and significantly cheaper at 700 including the grips, 650 without the recover grips.

Sig Sauer P226
CZ 75 SP-01
Yugoslavian M24/47

Active Duty US Navy Since 2003.

Quote:
Fortunately I do not clean my firearms with pee
Old 10-08-2017, 10:59 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Do it. I've got a 92G with VZ Tactical Slant grips. It's my favorite DA/SA pistol. For me, it handles and shoots more smoothly than the P226.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:44 AM
Veteran Member

Consider an M9 also. More correct clone of your mil issued sidearm, and doesn't have the lawyer-ease safety warnings engraved on it. Great guns either one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2017, 11:51 AM

I like both 92 and px4 equally
92 full size for range fun
px4 full size for range and carry
Old 10-08-2017, 11:54 AM

Slight threadjack

Which models of 92 have replaceable front sights?
Old 10-08-2017, 12:31 PM

Vertecs and brigadier models have removable front sights. I recommend Wilson Combat grips btw. Well worth the cash
Old 10-08-2017, 12:39 PM

How big are your hands? It seems like those recover grips add some girth and/or change the ergonomics of the gun. The M9A1 comes stock with a rail. The stock grips are great and I've heard good things about vz grips as well.
Old 10-08-2017, 12:47 PM

My hand tend to fit in large gloves as far as I know.
Old 10-08-2017, 2:33 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhyme_merchant View Post
How big are your hands? It seems like those recover grips add some girth and/or change the ergonomics of the gun. The M9A1 comes stock with a rail. The stock grips are great and I've heard good things about vz grips as well.
I am using vz grips and they are great!

Just dont use windex on them - and never ever ever ever use pee to clean it LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundiver View Post
lol but I'm really not joking
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoman96 View Post
That's the scary part, that your really that dumb
Old 10-08-2017, 2:42 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

If you get a 92fs replace the trigger release lever instantly. It comes plastic. Just had one break. It just disengaged the usr of the decocker but a pain to replace in the field. M9 comes metal. The replacement is only $9.99
Old 10-08-2017, 3:02 PM

Old 10-08-2017, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico1404 View Post
If you get a 92fs replace the trigger release lever instantly. It comes plastic. Just had one break. It just disengaged the usr of the decocker but a pain to replace in the field. M9 comes metal. The replacement is only $9.99
I'll keep that in mind when I go to buy one. I hear there is several plastic parts you can replace with metal parts, Yankee Marshal has a video on it and basically shows how to install the pieces.

Sig Sauer P226
CZ 75 SP-01
Yugoslavian M24/47

Quote:
Old 10-08-2017, 7:42 PM

100% everyone should own a 92fs. I have had mine since 2001 and run it about 2 times/month at 300-400 rounds per session. Only issue to date is about a dozen stovepipes total.
Old 10-08-2017, 8:26 PM

I bought a 92fs used off a friend and added a bunch of Wilson combat stuff to it - short reach trigger, ultra thin grips and spring kit. Shoots great.
Old 10-08-2017, 10:31 PM

That Wilson Combat stuff looks really sweet on a 92fs, I think Ill save some coin and just get a stock 92fs and get Wilson Combat grips and other things.
Old 10-09-2017, 1:42 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip_Dog View Post
100% everyone should own a 92fs. I have had mine since 2001 and run it about 2 times/month at 300-400 rounds per session. Only issue to date is about a dozen stovepipes total.
^^THIS^^

sometimes nothing beats a nice big gun in your hand

Today I whispered in the Devil's ear, "I AM THE STORM."
Old 10-09-2017, 2:15 AM
Veteran Member

The 92 is a great gun. Lots of parts and options available. Reliable and accurate.
John 3:16

United Air Epic Fail Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 10-09-2017, 7:52 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
The insanity has subsided... I'm thinking about going for a Beretta 92FS with possibly Recover grips, it felt nice in the hand to be honest, a bit cheaper than my Sig Sauer P226. Should I get the recover grips, which are 50 bucks, or save the 50 bucks for different grips. I figured it would be nice to get the 92FS because I've handled it a fair bit being in the US Navy. Current guns are in my signature.
The M9 if you can find it. But the 92FS is what I had and I really like it.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconLair View Post
^^THIS^^

sometimes nothing beats a nice big gun in your hand

That's a pretty sweet 92FS right there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage View Post
The 92 is a great gun. Lots of parts and options available. Reliable and accurate.
I'm starting to notice this, seems about the same as the Sig P226, which I also have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Che762x39 View Post
The M9 if you can find it. But the 92FS is what I had and I really like it.
I really haven't seen one yet for sale, just the 92FS. There is a M9 commercial variant for sale. I'll have to shop around to see if I can find it. I'm just not sure what the differences are I'd have to look at them together to see what they are.

Sig Sauer P226
CZ 75 SP-01
Yugoslavian M24/47

Quote:
Old 10-09-2017, 4:27 PM

I have a concern about the 92FS, I went to my usual LGS asked if they had any in stock PX4s and 1 92FS, asked if they get them often and was told no, they dont like dealing with them because of an issue with the locking block breaking. Whats the deal with this, they said they had like 15 happen with them or something, Im sure the number is exaggerated.
Old 10-09-2017, 4:35 PM
Veteran Member

Broken locking blocks:https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C....0.iRCW6kllqSw
Old 10-09-2017, 4:40 PM

Sorry, but your LGS is full of it. I haven't kept an accurate count but my late 1980's 92fs is still going strong. Not a single problem in all these years and that includes qualifying monthly at 60 rounds plus additional training. For the sake of argument, let's say 22,000 rounds with 10% of those duty hollow point +p's.
Old 10-09-2017, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby View Post
Sorry, but your LGS is full of it. I haven't kept an accurate count but my late 1980's 92fs is still going strong. Not a single problem in all these years and that includes qualifying monthly at 60 rounds plus additional training. For the sake of argument, let's say 22,000 rounds with 10% of those duty hollow point +p's.
This x 10!!!

I hear that BS all the time from wannabes.

Buy the Beretta that you want. Replace the recoil spring every 5,000 rounds and possibly the trigger sprimg and once you hit 15,000 rounds consider the other springs and a new locking block as a precaution. Take a moment and think about that...15,000 rounds..that's at least $2300 worth of ammo.

If the gun store commandos are correct wouldn't we have heard a lot about the locking blocks breaking frequently in the LAPD and LASD Beretta pistols?
"Most people understand that guns deter criminals. If a killer were stalking your family, would you feel safer putting a sign out front announcing, "This Home Is a Gun-Free Zone"? But that is what the Westroads Mall did" (in Omaha, Neb).
- John Lott -
Old 10-09-2017, 5:27 PM

Buy a Wilson Combat beretta, m9A3 or m9 Ernest Langdon edition
Old 10-09-2017, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiledviking View Post
This x 10!!!

I hear that BS all the time from wannabes.

Buy the Beretta that you want. Replace the recoil spring every 5,000 rounds and possibly the trigger sprimg and once you hit 15,000 rounds consider the other springs and a new locking block as a precaution. Take a moment and think about that...15,000 rounds..that's at least $2300 worth of ammo.

If the gun store commandos are correct wouldn't we have heard a lot about the locking blocks breaking frequently in the LAPD and LASD Beretta pistols?
Thanks for calming my fears, I was like what, I haven't heard anything like that in the military, but he was like "Well military has a deal with Beretta for unlimited parts or something". I have no idea if the military has that deal with Beretta, how would I know.

Also had no idea LAPD and SDPD used this firearm.

I hate people that talk **** about firearms and don't really know what they are talking about.

Sig Sauer P226
CZ 75 SP-01
Yugoslavian M24/47

Quote:
Old 10-09-2017, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks for calming my fears, I was like what, I haven't heard anything like that in the military, but he was like "Well military has a deal with Beretta for unlimited parts or something". I have no idea if the military has that deal with Beretta, how would I know.

Also had no idea LAPD and SDPD used this firearm.

I hate people that talk **** about firearms and don't really know what they are talking about.
The military in their infinite wisdom bought magazines, locking blocks, and barrels and I'm sure other parts from other suppliers (some of those parts were not of the best quality..).

Hear it directly from Ernest Langdon himself here:

https://youtu.be/VGSeJ9ZnJiU

BTW, those gunshop high-speed low-drag operators must know more and have more personal experience than Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn as both gentlemen like the Beretta a LOT.
"Most people understand that guns deter criminals. If a killer were stalking your family, would you feel safer putting a sign out front announcing, "This Home Is a Gun-Free Zone"? But that is what the Westroads Mall did" (in Omaha, Neb).
- John Lott -
Old 10-09-2017, 7:18 PM

Quote:
I have a concern about the 92FS, I went to my usual LGS asked if they had any in stock PX4s and 1 92FS, asked if they get them often and was told no, they dont like dealing with them because of an issue with the locking block breaking. Whats the deal with this, they said they had like 15 happen with them or something, Im sure the number is exaggerated.
Don't ever buy from that LGS again. They are dishonest.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdm...ooQ5EXq2JQwCoQ
Old 10-09-2017, 9:51 PM
Veteran Member

M9.
Leave it stock.
Leave it stock 10,000 times leave it stock.

Gease. Save the money & buy quality ball 9x19 American or European or NATO stamped ammo. Learn to shoot it, well. And not to hang dingle-berries on it to impress some local yahoo at the gun range.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:41 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Honestly, I think you're way too whimsical dude. Do you just watch YT videos then come here to post about how you plan to buy that gun, only to change your mind a week later? You've made I intend to buy soon... threads about all these within the last two months:

92FS
AR10
FN5.7
Sig P226
Desert Eagle
SP01
AR15
6.5 Creedmore Bolt Action

That's a very wide cross section of firearms, so it seems you don't really know what you want or why you want it. Just a suggestion but you might be better served figuring that out before pontificating a purchase, especially if you have to save up to bring it home. I think you'd benefit from more range time to help figure out what you want to shoot because everything on that list is worthy of collecting.

That said, the 92FS is a classic for sure. Good luck!
The architects of the assault weapon bans ... are simply trying to fight the Culture War. And we can't win, not in California anyway because you guys, the ones with the most to lose, refuse to do what you need to do to win the Culture Wars, which is to make Calguns and the gun rights community a truly big tent and stop driving people away simply because they are different from you.
Crime rate per 100k people
General population: 3,817
Police officers: 108
Legal CCW: 18
Old 10-09-2017, 10:47 PM
Calguns Addict

One more vote for the M9/M9A1 here

M9A3/Wilson M9 if you can afford it.
3) Saltworks M5 upper/lower set

Old 10-11-2017, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Caketown View Post
One more vote for the M9/M9A1 here

M9A3/Wilson M9 if you can afford it.
I think I'll stick with the standard 92FS, it makes since and I'll likely upgrade it with Wilson Combat parts which looks sweet.

I'm pretty sure an M9A3 would be a fairly expensive buy, I've decided that I'm going a different route for firearms hobby and need funds to start hand loading for my Mauser, I want to start shooting cleaner ammo with it as turkish surplus ammo is pretty dirty. So the Beretta 92FS will be my last handgun for a while.

Sig Sauer P226
CZ 75 SP-01
Yugoslavian M24/47

Quote:
Old 10-11-2017, 8:56 PM

Quote:
I'll keep that in mind when I go to buy one. I hear there is several plastic parts you can replace with metal parts, Yankee Marshal has a video on it and basically shows how to install the pieces.
Replacing the polymer parts are not really necessary, it's just a matter of preference. Replacing the stock hammer spring with a "D" spring or Wilson Combat 14lb hammer spring is highly recommended.
Old 10-11-2017, 9:08 PM
Beretta 92FS
CGN Contributor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballdad View Post
Replacing the polymer parts are not really necessary, it's just a matter of preference. Replacing the stock hammer spring with a "D" spring or Wilson Combat 14lb hammer spring is highly recommended.
BUYING SOLID STAINLESS or STEEL PARTS:
Yup, only for looks. That said, I did it for 2 of my Inox guns.... And it was EXPENSIVE.

D-Spring - just a $2 item from Brownells., and yeah, a good idea, but still not required. But a lot cheaper than the trigger, trigger bar, slide release, ejector... parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epaphroditus View Post
Sounds reasonable ... just how are futures in aluminium fool these days?
Old 10-11-2017, 9:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

92FS at PSA for $449.00. No magazine for CA purchases. I have a 92FS and a 92G-SD along with a PX4 (40SW). The G is the CA high end model, it costs twice what the FS does. Get the FS unless you need a removable front sight. I have the "D" trigger spring in both along with steel guide rods, steel triggers and Beretta Hogue rubber grips. The 92 is a very accurate pistol.

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home
Old 10-12-2017, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
92FS at PSA for $449.00. No magazine for CA purchases. I have a 92FS and a 92G-SD along with a PX4 (40SW). The G is the CA high end model, it costs twice what the FS does. Get the FS unless you need a removable front sight. I have the "D" trigger spring in both along with steel guide rods, steel triggers and Beretta Hogue rubber grips. The 92 is a very accurate pistol.

I think I'll buy local, it would most likely end up costing the same.

Seems like getting the D or Combat Wilson main spring is a very good mod to get.

Sig Sauer P226
CZ 75 SP-01
Yugoslavian M24/47

Quote:
Old 10-12-2017, 9:25 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Seems like getting the D or Combat Wilson main spring is a very good mod to get.
I think installing the "D" spring is by far the best bang for the buck (pun intended) modification you can do to any of the 92 models. For less that $3.00 dollars you can take one of the worst double actions and turn it into an OK double action. The FS has, IMHO, one of the best single actions for an out of the box pistol that you can buy. The heavy factory DA was meant to be (my understanding of the history) an additional safety feature for the troops as it would be carried loaded but not cocked, safety off.

Chief Range Safety Officer
Instructor: Basic Pistol Shooting
Instructor: Personal Protection Inside the Home
Old 10-12-2017, 10:51 PM
Veteran Member

Id look for a 92G-SD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-12-2017, 10:57 PM

Every time I pick up a 92FS I'm transported back in time. A special pistol for me.