Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:07 PM

Default Glock 17 jams and misfires

I just recently bought a Glock 17 used at a pawn shop. Took it to the range the next day. Misfired once. Me and my buddy thought the ammo was faulty since it happened to his Glock 21C. We were shooting Winchester white box stuff from Wal Mart. Few days after, I took it to the range again. It was awful. Jams after every fourth or fith shot, andthe slide would lock back after the last shot. I just cleaned it today hopefully it helps. Can you guys give me some advice?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:08 PM

I'm sorry I meant to say the slide did NOT lock back on the last shot
Old 03-03-2012, 11:15 PM

usually when your slide don't lock back after the last shot it means you have your thumb on the slide release...but i have not had any problems with my G17...check your feed ramp to see if it's been damaged...also do a deep cleaning including cleaning your firing pin...also i didn't know pawn shops carry handguns...how much did you get it for? and where did you buy it? none of the pawn shops in my area carry handguns...
Old 03-03-2012, 11:24 PM

take a look at the mag follower see how worn out it is.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:30 PM

maybe time for a new recoil spring as well.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member

So you had a misfire and some jams what kind of jams strawberry grape?
Old 03-03-2012, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcarbonell View Post
I just recently bought a Glock 17 used at a pawn shop. Took it to the range the next day. Misfired once. Me and my buddy thought the ammo was faulty since it happened to his Glock 21C. We were shooting Winchester white box stuff from Wal Mart. Few days after, I took it to the range again. It was awful. Jams after every fourth or fith shot, andthe slide would lock back after the last shot. I just cleaned it today hopefully it helps. Can you guys give me some advice?
That sounds normal to me.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:45 PM

The Glock series of firearms are infallible.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
I'd detail strip the slide, cycle magazines [if that option is available to you] and replace the recoil spring assembly as well. If I remember correctly an easy way to test the spring is to dry fire the gun, hold the trigger down, muzzle end straight up at 90degrees, and rack the slide. If it returns to battery it's "deemed" ok. Don't quote me on that however because I'm old and my memory is fuzzy.

Another option would be to find a guy with a G17 [common gun] and see if he'll let you temporarily swap some common parts. I.e. magazines, swap slides, etc... and go from there.
Old 03-03-2012, 11:52 PM

I have not seen a pawn shop with an FFL in 10+ years and most of the time what they had looked like a dogs chew toy

I think we all need some more info
what type of misfire did you have FTF FTE.....
did you get any light primer strikes
grip
Old 03-04-2012, 5:55 AM

One of the stock ten round magazines that came with my Glock jams every fifth round. I marked it and avoid using it. Make sure you're holding a proper grip, if you don't hold it tight enough, it can do as you explained. I'd try those two things before spending money.
Old 03-04-2012, 6:26 AM

Default I am sure I can help

Quote:
Hey Wcarbonell, If you are around the Gilroy area email me direct with your contact information. I would be happy to take a look at it for no charge and see if I can steer you in the right direction.

LLGun@verizon.net
www.LLGunsmithing.com
Old 03-04-2012, 6:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
I just recently bought a Glock 17
It's not ammo, or recoil spring, or striker because it works 4 or 5 times, then jams.

Is this the first Glock you ever owned? These issues are grip related, limp wrist, and riding the slide stop. Very common for new Glock shooters. Have an experienced Glock shooter give it a run.

Watch this video from David Sevigny, used to be with Team Glock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBmN7mpVZWE
Old 03-04-2012, 7:33 AM
Banned

First step when buying a used Glock would be to replace ALL springs. Easy, takes less than an hour, even fun. MidwayUSA and LWD carry spring kits. Also clean the heck out of the chamber, polish the feed ramp, and watch a video on youtube about lube points.
Old 03-04-2012, 7:38 AM

If this is your first GLOCK looks like your probably not holding the gun properly.
Old 03-04-2012, 7:46 AM
Veteran Member

Where are you located? I will take a look at it if your local. Being used, you have no idea what someone has done, modified, etc to the inside. A lot of self appointed "gunsmiths" do some pretty horrible work.
Old 03-04-2012, 7:50 AM
Calguns Addict

First, welcome to Cal Guns....! Lots of good people here.

Second, if you're in the Orange County area I would be glad to inspect the Glock for you.

Any new purchase (especially a used gun) should be completely field stripped, inspected, upgraded with springs, cleaned and properly lubed.

Glad to help you with this.

Be well, Bob

Quote:

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 03-04-2012, 8:14 AM

How many magazines didn't come with?
The mag spring may be very old and worn. Try another magazine.

Good luck.
Old 03-04-2012, 8:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911ZENSHOOTER View Post
The Glock series of firearms are infallible.
Agreed. Denial is your friend. Blame it on the ammo and move on. You could also try dropping it in the dirt. Glocks are known to be even more infallible dirty.

(Sorry, a little mean spirited, but if this was a Hi Point they would be all over you) Stripping, cleaning and lubing is great advice.
Old 03-04-2012, 10:19 AM

In my experience 95% of failure to feed / failure to eject is due to "limp-wristing" but with a used gun it is ALWAYS a good idea to have someone with gunsmithing experience take a look at the pistol.

-Eric
Old 03-04-2012, 2:57 PM
Veteran Member

It would help if we knew what kind of failures you where having to help diagnose what could be the cause. If you just say I had a misfire and some jams it really tells us nothing. Is it stovepiping, FTE double feeds, failure to go into battery what is it doing?

If it is limp wristing then it will look mostly like these types of malfunctions.

Old 03-04-2012, 3:59 PM

If I ever bought a gun at a pawn shop then I would take it to a gunsmith for an overhaul. Some of the guns I have seen for sale in pawn shops are gnarly! Gnarly meaning what idiot did not take care of his gun.... probably a gang member or "would-be" criminal.

Take it to a gunsmith or have that guy Ocean Bob service it.
Old 03-04-2012, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
First, welcome to Cal Guns....! Lots of good people here.

Second, if you're in the Orange County area I would be glad to inspect the Glock for you.

Any new purchase (especially a used gun) should be completely field stripped, inspected, upgraded with springs, cleaned and properly lubed.

Glad to help you with this.

Be well, Bob

^^^Yup^^^
Old 03-04-2012, 8:46 PM