Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-01-2012, 6:47 PM

Default Which 45?

I'm considering a new 45. Either a Colt Defender or Kimber CDP. What do you guys think?
Old 03-01-2012, 7:10 PM

Don't think you can go wrong with either, but personally I would probably go with the Colt.

-Emiliano Zapata
Old 03-01-2012, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geedavell View Post
I'm considering a new 45. Either a Colt Defender or Kimber CDP. What do you guys think?
Go shoot them both and pick one or both.
Old 03-30-2012, 4:25 AM

Two weeks ago I finally made the decision to pull the trigger on a Colt Defender in .45. Found what I thought was a good price from an FFL in OR, and arranged to have it shipped to me here in CO. While discussing it with my local FFL, he informed me he had a very lightly used consignment Kimber Ultra CDP ll (also in .45)available for very close to the same price (included 200 rd of ammo and 2 cc holsters).
I went to his place to check out the Kimber, and what can I say? It fit me like a glove! So at the price asked (seller was motivated for cash), I was going home with a new gun that evening!
The Colt was due in a few days later, and as I had already paid for it, decided my GF might like it as her new carry. After collecting it, we went to the local range, where she fell in love with the Colt. Lucky for me... I'm not sure I wanted her to shoot the Kimber as she may have wanted it!

Range results-
We shot both 7yd and 10 yd. Using average range ammo, the GF (never having shot a .45 before) kept every shot inside the 7 ring on a sillouette target in +/-50 rds. As her confidence with the Colt grew, she became more end more accurate. (Her other handguns are an FNX-9 and a Walther PK380)
I found the Kimber just as accurate, able to group everything pretty tightly, though just a touch low. (I'm more accustomed to shooting revolvers than semi's)
After +/- 50 rds in each, we switched to see how the other felt. The Colt is a touch lighter in weight, specs say 1 oz. It was noticeable to her, but not so much to me. Both had extremely similar trigger pulls (4-5 lbs). Accuracy was virtually equal. Neither had any fail-to-feed issues, though I have been advised to replace the springs every couple thousand rds or so in the Kimber.

There were a few differences, mostly in the finish of the guns. The Kimber, having come out of their "custom shop" had nicely rounded finished edges, as compared to the squarer finish of the Colt. (The Kimber Ultra Carry also has a square finish) Both have the Hogue grips.

Take down was easy enough for the GF to accomplish without much struggle, with reassembly just as easy.
Old 03-30-2012, 5:28 AM

Sounds like things worked out well! I was going to throw what I went with in to the mix. Pro CDP that I had bobbed.

Old 03-30-2012, 6:10 AM

i just got a defender from another calgunner. its in jail right now.

personally i would never get a kimber because i see them have too many malfunctions at matches every week. i just dont trust their guns.

Old 03-30-2012, 6:23 AM
CGN Contributor

I'd go with Colt.

Here I am.
Old 03-30-2012, 6:32 AM
I need a LIFE!!

+1 for Colt!
Old 03-30-2012, 7:50 AM
Veteran Member

Another vote for Colt. The only Kimber I would get would be the old ones before they started making the Series II.