Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-28-2012, 3:46 AM

Default ATI Folding Stock/Mossberg 500 legal in Socal?

Hello, I'm a new gun owner as of last weekend here in Southern California. For this, my first firearm, I purchased an ATI folding stock and installed it. However some people have kept asking me if the folding stock is legal in California or not. I guess I had figured, if they sale it at the strore, it must be legal.

Anyhow is the ATI folding stock with shell holder on the stock that goes top , legal?
Old 02-28-2012, 3:47 AM

Bybthe way, in regard to the above post, it is for a Mossberg 500.
Old 02-28-2012, 5:39 AM

it is legal, but I would look for ANY other stock. ATI is not known to produce quality shotgun accessories. There are a few folks that will say that they are gtg, but thats because they probably never tried anything else.

Check out Hogue and their 12" LOP stocks. Much better, quality and comfort.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/911...l-rubber-black

USPSA CRO
MEMBER: USPSA GSSF Richmond Rod & Gun

Help VSA help the troops.

http://veteranssportsmanalliance.org/
Old 02-28-2012, 11:19 AM

Folding Stock is Legal on PUMP action shotgun
Old 02-28-2012, 1:11 PM

Thanks for the responses. I did forget to mention though, this is the ATI TOP folding stock. That is still the same? Any will be legal in Cali? Thanks a million guys, Im new to the gun world so I know I may sound like a rockie ha ha ha.
Old 02-28-2012, 1:52 PM

top/side folding,Collapsible stock are LEGAL on PUMP action shotgun
Old 03-03-2012, 7:49 PM

Thanks everyone. The smaller modifications like a Ghost Sight and the top shell holder wouldn't be a problem either right?

Again, my questions are basic but I'm new at this so I'm trying to make sure I don't misinterpret the laws.
Old 03-03-2012, 7:55 PM
CGN Contributor

consult the flowchart, http://www.calguns.net/caawid/sgflowchart.pdf . It will show you what is legal or not.

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 03-03-2012, 8:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
consult the flowchart, http://www.calguns.net/caawid/sgflowchart.pdf . It will show you what is legal or not.
So if I'm reading the flow chart, a pump action shotgun has to be at least 26" inches overall in its shortest firing position?

It also mentioned 18" inch barrel, does a shotgun have any restrictions to barrel length as long as it's at least 26" inches overall in the firing position? What if the barrel is over 18" inches?
Old 03-03-2012, 8:26 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalPlinker View Post
So if I'm reading the flow chart, a pump action shotgun has to be at least 26" inches overall in its shortest firing position?

It also mentioned 18" inch barrel, does a shotgun have any restrictions to barrel length as long as it's at least 26" inches overall in the firing position? What if the barrel is over 18" inches?
its a two-part question, If the OAL is <26" it is an SBS. OR, if it has a barrel <18", it is an SBS. If either part can be answered yes, it is an SBS.

It doesnt' matter if it has a 20" barrel but the OAL is <26", OR if the OAL is >26" but it only has a 10" barrel. In either case, it is an SBS.

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 03-04-2012, 8:30 AM

Quote:

It's pretty simple really.....

You can not have a shotgun that is shorter than 26", period. Longer than 26" is obviously fine.

You can not have a shotgun with a barrel shorter than 18", period. Longer than 18" is obviously fine.
Old 03-04-2012, 2:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjapilot View Post
folding stock with shell holder on the stock that goes top
I don't know guys, that sounds dangerously like a shoulder thing that goes up!!
Old 03-04-2012, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkam View Post
I don't know guys, that sounds dangerously like a shoulder thing that goes up!!
Huh?
Old 03-05-2012, 1:29 AM

That list helps a million! Thanks guys!

On the other hand, about registry. When I purchased the gun (NEW) at the store, they just gave me a receipt for it and that was it. Do I need to register it anywhere? How do I proof ownership if the cops ever ask for any reason?
Old 03-05-2012, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Huh?
Old 03-05-2012, 7:22 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:

On the other hand, about registry. When I purchased the gun (NEW) at the store, they just gave me a receipt for it and that was it. Do I need to register it anywhere?
nope. aT the current time, there is no required long gun registration.

Quote:
How do I proof ownership if the cops ever ask for any reason?
you don't.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkam View Post
BWAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHA That was too funny!
Old 03-06-2012, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
nope. aT the current time, there is no required long gun registration.

you don't.
GREAT! Thanks!
Old 03-07-2012, 1:00 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

On the other hand, about registry. When I purchased the gun (NEW) at the store, they just gave me a receipt for it and that was it. Do I need to register it anywhere? How do I proof ownership if the cops ever ask for any reason?
In California the long gun registration bill goes into effect I think January 2014. We'll see if it actually happens or what else happens between now and then, but something to think about. It won't effect guns you already own, but will be required for all newly purchased guns.

As for the ownership part, I have a "personal firearms record" from the ATF. I think you can download and print it too. Just a small form with make, model, serial, purchase date, price, where from, etc... I also photocopy receipts and business cards and keep them with it. I have it more for insurance purposes, but can also be used to prove ownership if needed. I also have multiple copies, one at home, one with my insurance agent (also my mother), etc...

Personally if a cop is asking proof of ownership, something is wrong. Either he's stupid or I did something wrong, either way I'm calling a lawyer, the NRA, the CRPA, and the CGF immediately before I answer a single question.
Old 03-10-2012, 1:50 AM

Thanks TacticalPlinker! Good idea!!!!!

Quote:
In California the long gun registration bill goes into effect I think January 2014. We'll see if it actually happens or what else happens between now and then, but something to think about. It won't effect guns you already own, but will be required for all newly purchased guns.

As for the ownership part, I have a "personal firearms record" from the ATF. I think you can download and print it too. Just a small form with make, model, serial, purchase date, price, where from, etc... I also photocopy receipts and business cards and keep them with it. I have it more for insurance purposes, but can also be used to prove ownership if needed. I also have multiple copies, one at home, one with my insurance agent (also my mother), etc...

Personally if a cop is asking proof of ownership, something is wrong. Either he's stupid or I did something wrong, either way I'm calling a lawyer, the NRA, the CRPA, and the CGF immediately before I answer a single question.
Old 03-17-2012, 1:52 AM

TacticalPlinker Im assuming rifles and shotguns are both considered long guns then? Which for now do not need to be registered correct? I ask because I will be buying an AR15 and I wanted to find out if the same applies.

One more question, so if you are going to the range and a cop pulls you over for speeding or whatever "common" infraction, then we are required to let him/her know that there is a gun in the trunk right? Thinking this was the case I always assumed the cops would run the handgun,rifle or shotgun serial number to see who it belongs to so I got confused. I'm a newbie to guns and want to make sure im within the limits of the law. I asked about how to proof ownership because I wasnt sure if they could run the serial number or what. Thanks a million for your info!!!!!

Quote: