Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Gunsmithing & How To
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Gunsmithing & How To Pro, Amateur & WECSOG and Tutorials, Guides & OLL Build Instructions

Old 02-27-2012, 4:38 PM
Pre-Banned
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Default 10/22 80% Tactical Machining Jig Instructions?

I've picked up a Tactical Machining 80% 10/22 and jig, to build my Charger style pistol with, and I'm pretty excited for the results. The machining on this 80% is top notch!

I get the basic idea for using the jig, but just to be sure the first time I'd like to see the step by step from someone who has done it already. I've been looking around, but I'm just not finding it. The Razor 80% has various steps on drilling the barrel hole, which I don't think are necessary with the bushing of the TM jig.

Anyone done a walkthrough on this yet? Randy??
NRA Life Member

Old 02-27-2012, 4:55 PM

I have no idea, but I'm very excited about this build. The only videos I have found are of razors.

I gunna be needing lots of photos
Old 02-27-2012, 7:11 PM
Veteran Member

Always wanted to do one, never got around to it. Post pictures
Old 02-27-2012, 7:36 PM

I've done it, but I had to pay a machinist (Calgunner) to run a reamer through the barrel hole. Everything else I did using a drill press.
It's kind of bull**** that they don't tell you that you need a milling machine and reamer to finish the kit until after you buy it and get the instructions.
Old 02-27-2012, 8:01 PM
Pre-Banned
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

From the instructions I COULD find, from weapons guild and people building Razors, I got a nice new 11/16th drill bit for the barrel hole, but I'm not sure if I should get a 64th smaller bit and an 11/16ths reamer instead. Either way I'm just going to take it very slow and keep testing until the barrel fits snug.
NRA Life Member

Old 02-27-2012, 9:39 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Default TM 10/22 80% receiver

This was a great project that the majority will enjoy completing.

If you are thinking or on the fence, I vote to jump in ....... life is short ......

IMG_0377.jpg

A couple things that is worth mentioning are:

1: The take down drill bushing was a 3/16"....... not large enough for a 12 x 24 tap and too big for the #16 tap drill size. ?? Glad I am to slow to have blown past this but no harm as I dialed the bushing in and touched off a 3/16" drill to start a center spot, then switched to the #16 tap drill. All was good.

2: The boss that retains the recoil spring guide rod was square and the aftermarket bolt I got was chamfered at a small 45 degree corner fillet and rubbed. I ran a corner rounding mill cutter with about a 3/32" radius and with a few chips all was clear. Also did not drill the boss to receive the guide rod, I simply punched it with a long center punch. Seems to work just fine.
I did take the aftermarket guide rod and cut the enlarged spring retainer down a little to the OD of the spring. Gave a little clearance where it was needed.

IMG_0379.jpg

IMG_0380.jpg

3: The V-Block holes were something where I decided to make a drill bushing the tap drill size. Drill the #16 through then after removing the bushing, drill the 1/4" hole part way. Only part way through. Leave at least 3/4" for threads.

IMG_0384.jpg

4: I decided to use progressive drill bushings for the barrel bore. Started with a 9/16" drill then switched to a 5/8" drill. Then reamed final 11/16" size.
Nice fit with factory barrels.
Did have an interference with the OD of the "Target" hammer forged barrel so turned it down to .920".
IMG_0385.jpg