Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 12-21-2013, 9:49 AM
Calguns Addict

As someone said, there are all kinds of veterans, military, wartime, combat, dishonorably discharged even. The entire spectrum of human experiences is there. It helps to be specific at times.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 01-05-2014, 9:00 AM
Veteran Member

I was a little miffed that while I deployed , it was with the 31st MEU. My squadron (hmla-267) did MEUs from 200o to May 2011. I got out July 2011. Couldn't extend to deploy to afghan with them. I was so angry but that's just the way the dice rolled for my USMC enlistment. Did the MEU, and a bunch of detachments
Old 01-05-2014, 2:22 PM

just because you didnt see combat doesnt mean you didnt serve you country with other details that are just as important if not more. whoever said that prob has no idea what he/she is talking about
Old 01-05-2014, 2:35 PM
Veteran Member

I got out in 2000 so I missed the whole show. Never considered myself a veteran. All I did was close down El Toro and then barbecue at Edwards and the Stumps. I grew up in Santa Ana and drove 10 miles down the 5 to be in formation by 5:30. I got to go here and there, but there wasn't anybody shooting at me. I was just going to work at that period of my life. I don't think that makes me a veteran, but I'm actually good with being just a Marine 'ya know? I wouldn't dare tell anybody else they aren't though. That's just how I view myself.
Old 01-05-2014, 8:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
I got out in 2000 so I missed the whole show. Never considered myself a veteran. All I did was close down El Toro and then barbecue at Edwards and the Stumps. I grew up in Santa Ana and drove 10 miles down the 5 to be in formation by 5:30. I got to go here and there, but there wasn't anybody shooting at me. I was just going to work at that period of my life. I don't think that makes me a veteran, but I'm actually good with being just a Marine 'ya know? I wouldn't dare tell anybody else they aren't though. That's just how I view myself.
but you are a veteran regardless of what anyone says. you have served your country and deserve it.

when I applied for my federal job they have vet preference. I served in Desert Shield/Storm I didn't go over because of an injury didn't claim it but on my DD214 it was there so I get the preference. after going to Iraq in 05 I can say I'm a combat vet up until then never really considered it.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, ďThis is California; we donít pay too much attention to the Constitution,Ē
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt-45 View Post
If you asked him, I bet he would say he was in some sort of special forces lol. That's what all the 5'5" obese guys say, I come across them from time to time at gun shops. I just walk away.
Gotta love running into those guys at gun shows and shops. Ran into a fake Navy SEAL last year too. Disgusting. As an active duty Sailor, those stealing valor fascinate me. I don't know why, but it's like watching a long-term train/car/plane/ship/truck wreck of lies. Kind of like bad tv.
Old 02-28-2014, 1:54 PM

A phenomena of falsely (self)inflating one's self-esteem. Those with a very LOW self esteem. People like this need therapy.
Old 02-28-2014, 2:41 PM

I had a boss who was in Vietnam, but never actually saw combat, never killed anybody, nor did he lose a limb in service to his country.

His job, was as a photographer. He had the joyous duty of being flown in after big battles and photographing everything for reports.

He wouldn't talk about it much. One time I pressed too hard, and he flipped out on me.

That guy will be haunted by those pictures forever, how could anybody disqualify him as a veteran... Every once in a while the company would send him to Taiwan on business, he had a real difficult time with it. It was hard for him to leave the hotel room...

There are some truly ignorant people out there...

Last edited by Oldmandan; 02-28-2014 at 2:59 PM..
Old 02-28-2014, 2:53 PM

"A veteran is anyone, who at any point in their life, wrote a blank check to the United States of America, for any amount, up to and including their life."
Old 02-28-2014, 3:39 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyfly View Post
"A veteran is anyone, who at any point in their life, wrote a blank check to the United States of America, for any amount, up to and including their life."
you forgot "in combat"

1)AR15 Aero Precision Skeletonized Lower
2)Glock 17
3)80% arms router jig for AR15
4)S&W M&p9 or 40 FRAME
Old 03-22-2014, 10:06 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP91 View Post
"You're only a veteran

The moment you graduate from training, the "Veteran" title stays with you forever

WRONG.

Quote:
<<< YES BUT>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDavis View Post
you forgot "in combat"
^^^^^^^^^
Wrong again.

You become a ""Combat Vet"" when you are were in combat

Quote:
That is what makes us different than the rest
George Patton

Last edited by uxo2; 03-22-2014 at 10:12 AM..
Old 03-22-2014, 11:01 AM
Calguns Addict

I proudly wear my 7th ID combat patch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates
Old 03-22-2014, 11:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Someone told me you are a veteran if you can eat free at Applebees during Veteran's Day.
Old 03-22-2014, 1:01 PM

If you served, you are a veteran. However, having served myself in a non-combat roll, I do like to make a distinction for those who saw combat and refer to them as combat veterans. All who served/serve deserve recognition, but I think those who have seen combat deserve a bit more.
Old 03-22-2014, 1:19 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofeugene View Post
If you served, you are a veteran. However, having served myself in a non-combat roll, I do like to make a distinction for those who saw combat and refer to them as combat veterans. All who served/serve deserve recognition, but I think those who have seen combat deserve a bit more.

Yes. Pete
The problem is HEADSPACE between the ears!
Obama for 8 years will be the worst thing to happen to
our country since the Civil War.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:41 AM

I'm a recently disabled veteran and **** statements like that are ignorant as hell....
Old 03-25-2014, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

I definitely have more respect for those who have been under fire, but I don't respect someone who served their time in the USA less than someone who served overseas in non-combat situation. Me, all my jobs they tend to want me to NOT be direct harm because of the things I do. Doesn't stop deployments, but does keep me safer than the brothers who are fighting for their lives and country.
I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhead714 View Post
The difference is you Stood up, raised your hand, wore the uniform and signed the blank check; and you were willing to uphold your end of the obligation. Only 1% of all American Citizens can call ourselves Veterans.

You served honorably in the capacity that was asked of you. Veteran! You earned the title. Thank you for your service.

Last edited by ldsnet; 03-25-2014 at 12:33 PM.. Reason: spelling and grammar corrections
Old 03-25-2014, 1:03 PM
In Memoriam

Thank you for your service Veteran.
When you sign up they can send you anywhere, combat or not. They sent me to Panama.
There are ignorant people everywhere.They have never served their country. Let it go

Last edited by thomashoward; 01-23-2015 at 1:50 PM..
Old 03-25-2014, 1:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomashoward View Post
Thank you for your service Veteran.
When you sign up they can send you anywhere, combat or not. They sent me to Panama.

Lol
Sent me there twice
Task force hawk and just cause

Old 04-05-2014, 1:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP91 View Post

The moment you graduate from training, the "Veteran" title stays with you forever, regardless if you ever see combat or not!!!
I thought you're a veteran when you leave the service. At least according to the VA or at least the GI Bill portion of it.
Old 04-05-2014, 1:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagle View Post
I thought you're a veteran when you leave the service. At least according to the VA or at least the GI Bill portion of it.
I'm active duty and I am considered a veteran despite having never separated from the Air Force.
I'd go to the grocery store with polymer, and I'd go to war with steel.
Old 04-08-2014, 7:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
ANYBODY that's ever suffered the good old military "hurry up and wait," or stood a fire watch alone in some place nobody wants to be, deserves honor.
I had the honor of doing both of those today.

"F" this place........................

"Hurray" I'm a veteran.
Old 04-27-2014, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalliman545 View Post
Eh there's a VFW for a reason. Can't join it for graduating basic. Lol.
Same with the American Legion.
I'd rather not see a divide of the classes. We already have enough class warfare with the poor-middle-rich than we need.

NRA Member for life

Semper Sometimes Ė appropriation of Semper Fi used to deride the part-time nature of service in the Marine Corps Reserve. ARAH!!!

I used to make jokes... But then I lost my sense of humor in a boating accident.
Old 04-27-2014, 6:28 PM

What is a "combat veteran"? Did you have to fire your weapon at someone, or just be in theater? Did you have to see tracers going over your head or just hear incoming on base? I think it will be interesting to see what people say?
Old 06-07-2014, 10:34 AM

The term war veteran has a broad definition as well. Technically the VA considers me a war veteran because I was deployed with the USS Enterprise in support of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars....I never saw a bit of combat but our planes did so I guess they count that.
Old 06-07-2014, 2:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Veteran means veteran.... I hate those people try to measure or compare how many actions you have seen compare to them or others. Thank every veteran for their service because every single of them were willling to give up their life when they had too.
Old 06-07-2014, 3:14 PM
CGSSA Leader

Grunts, Jarheads, Squids, Snipes, Flyboys... I bust their *** all the time. But I respect them all. Me, I was a Puddle Pirate, Shallow Water Sailor. I was the reason all the Navy wives have good looking children when they come home from deployment.

I am a Proud Veteran of the Department of Transportation's US Coast Guard.

Semper Paratus!! Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!

USCG 1974 to 1978. BM2 SAR Coxswain.
NRA Benefactor Member.
CRPA Life Member.
Certified TASER and OC Spray Instructor

Old 06-07-2014, 6:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoMan View Post
The term war veteran has a broad definition as well. Technically the VA considers me a war veteran because I was deployed with the USS Enterprise in support of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars....I never saw a bit of combat but our planes did so I guess they count that.

VA also places appointment priorities on combat vets as opposed to non combat vets
When I called to get an appointment they asked, I asked why it mattered and that's what they told me

Old 06-07-2014, 8:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackUSMC View Post
Veteran means veteran.... I hate those people try to measure or compare how many actions you have seen compare to them or others. Thank every veteran for their service because every single of them were willling to give up their life when they had too.
agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
I proudly wear my 7th ID combat patch

your old. lol.

I see those once in a great while.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, ďThis is California; we donít pay too much attention to the Constitution,Ē
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A
contact the governor
https://govnews.ca.gov/gov39mail/mail.php
In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 06-07-2014, 8:32 PM

To everyone who has ever put on a uniform, regardless of gender, branch of service, peace time or war time.. Thank you for choosing to make sacrifices few know of and even fewer understand. Hold your head up high and bow it only for those who cannot be here today.

RIP SrA Will Newman
June 7, 2007
Balad, Iraq
Old 06-07-2014, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannytheman View Post
Grunts, Jarheads, Squids, Snipes, Flyboys... I bust their *** all the time. But I respect them all. Me, I was a Puddle Pirate, Shallow Water Sailor. I was the reason all the Navy wives have good looking children when they come home from deployment.

I am a Proud Veteran of the Department of Transportation's US Coast Guard.

Semper Paratus!! Put that in your pipe and smoke it!!

USCG 1974 to 1978. BM2 SAR Coxswain.
Aaaaaaaahahahahahahahaha!!!

Aaahhhh yes! Though west pack widows!
Old 06-07-2014, 10:00 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I never went to a hostile fire zone. I don't call myself a "veteran" but I am glad to have been a soldier in the United States Army and my honorable discharge is framed on my wall at home.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I never went to a hostile fire zone. I don't call myself a "veteran" but I am glad to have been a soldier in the United States Army and my honorable discharge is framed on my wall at home.

Your a veteran
Thank you for your service

Old 06-08-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
VA also places appointment priorities on combat vets as opposed to non combat vets
When I called to get an appointment they asked, I asked why it mattered and that's what they told me

What the VA considers combat vets are not really combat vets.

It just mean you served in what the US considers a combat/danger zone.

So if you spent 1 day in the Philippines on libo when you're boat stopped there you are considered a combat vet.

Most of the guys who are on the large US bases in Afghan/Iraq aren't in any more danger than someone walking down the street in Oakland at night. There are infantry guys who did nothing of significance and there are cooks who have been in sustained combat ops.

Everyone has their own definition of what a vet is, benefits wise most people are combat vets and we get paid like **** mine as well work the benefits for what you can.

As long as you served honorably there is no reason to be mad you didn't get sent to combat, for some people it isn't in the cards. You don't choose where you deploy for the most part.
Old 06-08-2014, 3:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun_Smoke View Post

Most of the guys who are on the large US bases in Afghan/Iraq aren't in any more danger than someone walking down the street in Oakland at night.
I would say its even safer than being in a big city at night.. At least I didn't need a CCW to carry a weapon to defend myself in the desert. Hell, even since the active shooter incidents the past couple of years, I felt safer deployed than I do in garrison sometimes.
Old 06-08-2014, 3:22 PM

Any time you put on a uniform for Uncle Sam you go in harm's way and you have earned the right to be a veteran.

Front Sight Commander Member www.frontsight.com
NRA Benefactor Life Member www.nra.org
CRPA Life Member www.crpa.org
Old 06-09-2014, 10:33 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I enlisted in the Army as a long haired, dope smoking hippie kid with no job prospects in 1982. I thought, what can happen, we're in a cold War. What an eye opener! When I was in Basic, they still condoned wall to wall counseling and blanket parties. I will never forget Basic and what it taught me.

Got off Active in 1990 and served in the Ca. Guard until I retired with 26 years as a First Sergeant, both federal and State. three combat tours, one of them stateside(92' Riots)

I have served in both peacetime and in War. It doesn't matter when you serve, only that you have written the check, payable to the U. S. for everything up to and including your life to defend this Nation and it's beliefs.

If you only signed up for the bennies and refuse to deploy I have no remorse crucifying you for writing a check you Won't cash.

My life as a soldier was tough and at the end of it I have no money, no friends, and no life. Would I trade it for a desk job and a cushy retirement? Not on your life! I have seen and experienced things that only another Vet can relate to(Notice I did not sat Combat Vet).

Whether in peace or War, the check is written out the same.

Only ten more years till retirement! Woo Hoo!

John
And in all fairness, just because JMB did it doesn't mean anything. He'd have won WWII with a soup can, a fork, and a couple rocks. Seriously, even McGuyver and Steven Hawking get together every now and then and are like "How the **** did he do that?..."
Old 06-09-2014, 11:31 PM

Not having been in a fire fight doesn't stop the VFW from sending me membership forms trying to suck me in.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc56 View Post
What is a "combat veteran"? Did you have to fire your weapon at someone, or just be in theater? Did you have to see tracers going over your head or just hear incoming on base? I think it will be interesting to see what people say?
From Wiki's Combat Infantryman's Badge page:

"The Combat Infantryman Badge (CIB) is a United States Army military award. The badge is awarded to infantrymen and Special Forces Soldiers in the rank of Colonel and below, who personally fought in active ground combat while assigned as members of either an infantry, Ranger or Special Forces unit, of brigade size or smaller, any time after 6 December 1941. The CIB and its non-combat contemporary, the Expert Infantryman Badge (EIB) were simultaneously created during World War II to enhance the morale and prestige of service in the infantry. Specifically, it recognizes the inherent sacrifices of all infantrymen, and that, in comparison to all other military occupational specialties, infantrymen face the greatest risk of being wounded or killed in action."

We didn't get it by having a base hit with IDF, or for being the last vehicle in a convoy when the first vehicle was hit by an IED. We got it after we were effectively engaged and returning fire.

Anyone who joins any of the branches is a veteran, period. If someone tries to say otherwise they're retarded and probably never actually served in the capacity they are claiming you had to have served.

There is a fine distinction between combat vets and vets though. Simply deploying to Astan does not make you a combat vet. Hell at one point Bagram allowed guys stationed there to purchase their own vehicles to drive around the base it's so large. We would joke and say they are simply on a vacation. It's not undermining their job or service, it's just your typical grunt vs. pog rivalry.