Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 03-29-2012, 7:43 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post
I find it hard to believe an ACTUAL veteran would make such a remark. Did you happen to vet this poser? HE sounds like a GOOD candidate for a "stolen honor" investigation.
I've said it a couple of times in this thread, but I'll say it once more: I am NOT a veteran, nor am I in the military (yet). And the ***hole who said this crap was an obese 30-something with balding hair, didn't look like a vet to me.

There's lots of players on the team. Not everyone gets to play "Quarterback". -CEDaytonaRydr
Old 03-29-2012, 7:48 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_weasel View Post
I served 6 years active duty in the US Air Forced during the Cold War, from 1980 to 1986, maintaining F-4G’s and A-10’s. However, it was not until serving 3 years as a civilian contractor supporting EOD and Route Clearance Units in Iraq and Afghanistan from 2009 to 2011 that I really felt I earned the title Veteran.

But that is just me…
W-W
Hogwash . The moment you made the commitment to serve your country at the risk of life and limb, you became a veteran from that day forth!

There's lots of players on the team. Not everyone gets to play "Quarterback". -CEDaytonaRydr
Old 03-29-2012, 7:53 PM

^^^This

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Last edited by pbchief2; 03-29-2012 at 7:57 PM..
Old 03-29-2012, 8:11 PM
Veteran Member

People often forgot that soldiers tend to not have much of a choice about where they are assigned or even whether they deploy in the first place. My old Team Sergeant was never on a team mobilized for a conflict - he missed out on Panama, Desert Storm, Somalia, etc - the entire 90s. In early 2001 he could have retired at 20, but signed on for a few more years as an instructor at SWCS. Ultimately, he had to retire right as the GWOT was picking up, having never served in combat, though he spent over 10 consecutive years on ODAs. Is he any less of a veteran than the 173rd guys who jumped into Kurdistan?

If you’re driven by partisan tribalism more than ideology, if getting in rhetorical digs at liberals thrills you more than persuading adversaries or achieving policy victories, it makes sense that you would fight substantively inconsequential battles with no more or less vigor than any other…
Old 03-29-2012, 8:17 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
People often forgot that soldiers tend to not have much of a choice about where they are assigned or even whether they deploy in the first place. My old Team Sergeant was never on a team mobilized for a conflict - he missed out on Panama, Desert Storm, Somalia, etc - the entire 90s. In early 2001 he could have retired at 20, but signed on for a few more years as an instructor at SWCS. Ultimately, he had to retire right as the GWOT was picking up, having never served in combat, though he spent over 10 consecutive years on ODAs. Is he any less of a veteran than the 173rd guys who jumped into Kurdistan?
Everybit as much since they jumped into an oda secured dz.
Old 03-29-2012, 8:37 PM
Veteran Member

My point exactly

If you’re driven by partisan tribalism more than ideology, if getting in rhetorical digs at liberals thrills you more than persuading adversaries or achieving policy victories, it makes sense that you would fight substantively inconsequential battles with no more or less vigor than any other…
Old 03-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP91 View Post
I've said it a couple of times in this thread, but I'll say it once more: I am NOT a veteran, nor am I in the military (yet). And the ***hole who said this crap was an obese 30-something with balding hair, didn't look like a vet to me.
I was 19 when I joined, 26 when I got out and joined the Reservefor 8 years.
I am pretty sure you would have a hard time picking me out of a crowd as a veteran, 58 bald. You cannot judge a book by it's cover, but the content of the words tell the story. I have had people as me after small conversation how long I was military. We tend to carry ourselves different. How can you tell a vet by the way he or she walks. Many of us still step off with our left feet. If we wear a belt, it is threaded from left to right in the loops.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.
Samuel Adams
Old 03-30-2012, 7:09 AM
Calguns Addict

I feel 1996 Bosnia made me a combat vet. Afghanistan was no worse than my last marriage.
Old 03-30-2012, 7:48 AM
Veteran Member

[QUOTE=winnre;8312403]I feel 1996 Bosnia made me a combat vet. Afghanistan was no worse than my last marriage.[/QUOTE]

Yet another reason not to get married... The cons outweigh the pros

Old 03-30-2012, 5:28 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
My point exactly
Didn't they revoke orders for some of the mustard stains over that?
Old 03-31-2012, 8:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnre View Post
I feel 1996 Bosnia made me a combat vet. Afghanistan was no worse than my last marriage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMP91 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnre View Post
Yet another reason not to get married... The cons outweigh the pros
my reasons exactly.

Quote:
Public Safety Chairman Reggie Jones Sawyer, D-Los Angeles said, “This is California; we don’t pay too much attention to the Constitution,”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6Dj8tdSC1A

In Memory of Spc Torres May 5th 2006 al-Hillah, Iraq. I will miss you my friend.
When Hell is full the dead will walk the Earth. (Dawn of the Dead)
NRA Life Member.
Old 03-31-2012, 8:31 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthomas View Post
I was 19 when I joined, 26 when I got out and joined the Reservefor 8 years.
I am pretty sure you would have a hard time picking me out of a crowd as a veteran, 58 bald. You cannot judge a book by it's cover, but the content of the words tell the story. I have had people as me after small conversation how long I was military. We tend to carry ourselves different. How can you tell a vet by the way he or she walks. Many of us still step off with our left feet. If we wear a belt, it is threaded from left to right in the loops.
I look for the gig line, also. Belt buckle end, pants zipper flap and button shirt flap all line up. I still check this when I dress to this day. If I am camping with a group, I can usually tell if they were prior military by the way they fold their clothes when putting things away.
‎"If Congress can do whatever in their discretion can be done by money, and will promote the General Welfare, the Government is no longer a limited one, possessing enumerated powers, but an indefinite one, subject to particular exceptions."
--James Madison
'Letter to Edmund Pendleton', 1792
Old 03-31-2012, 9:15 AM

Was his name Sgt. Slaughter?
Old 03-31-2012, 10:46 AM

This is similar to the grunt vs pog debate. ANYONE willing to serve their Country and does so honorably is a Veteran. I was a radio operator, but was no less important than the grunts on the front line, and certainly not better than the motor T guys running those convoys in Iraq. Equally important as Brando said, was the staff in the rear training our guys, who Im sure sacrificed countless hours away from home.
Old 04-04-2012, 8:29 AM

This topic has been the subject of quite a bit of frustration for me. I know first hand how hard it can be for someone to deploy if they want to. I joined the Army in Feb 2000 when I was 17 and by the time the towers came down I was in my first year at a military college. When my twin brother deployed and was wounded on his first tour i was sitting in physics class. The fact that i was wearing a uniform and considered Active Duty meant very little to my conscience. They would announce the names of fallen graduates at meal times. Men we knew just a few months before. Every one of us knew we were going to war, and we accepted that, though not all of us did.

After I graduated Airborne school I was elated to wear the Red Beret instead of being sent to a leg unit, but I was assigned to the 509th Airborne- to this day the finest Light Infantry outfit I have ever served with, but one that was not destined for deployment orders in the near future.

It wasn't until 2007 that i got my chance to get in the mix. 4th brigade, 10th Mountain was under rapid deployment for the surge, and they were woefully under strength (being augmented by a Battalion of Paratroopers would have been nice) and I was one of over 30 men who tried out for a single slot in 2-4 Infantry. Like, NFL combine type tryout. I was chosen, and I could see the disappointment on the other soldiers faces.

My time in Iraq was hard for me, but anticlimactic. I still suffer from a significant case of Survivor's Guilt, wishing I could have done more and feeling that I may not have done my full duty.

Much of the military is luck of the draw, or the blind fate of battle. No one joins the Army hoping to stay home and be safe, but some do. I will never think less of my brothers in the 509th no matter if they have a patch on their right shoulder or not. To paraphrase Gen Patton: fight where you are told and win where you fight. Not everyones fight is facing the enemy, but it is no less important than those of us who take the fight to him.
Old 04-04-2012, 8:44 AM

^^^ Well said.

As a grunt with 1st MarDiv during the 2003 Invasion, I would dismiss the "boots," in my unit for not knowing what "real" combat was like, as we were currently holed up in-place in Fallujah on my 2nd tour.

But that all changed when the first rockets and mortars hit us inside the wire...and one of our Marines was killed.
Old 04-04-2012, 8:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I guess my 4 yrs working on vehicles and construction equipment meant nothing.
Old 04-05-2012, 6:50 PM

Like some have said it is luck of the draw. I joined Dec 2001. On my contract I picked Korea (because it was out of the country). When Iraq kicked off no one was pulled from Korea to go, in fact people were being involuntarily extended in Korea. Then I went to Walter Reed and was told there was no way I was going to leave the ER and be deployed (eye techs were). So I joined the California guard and finally got deployed in 08/09. I wanted to go and requested it, but was unable. It takes everyone to make the war machine work.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARDOG View Post
Am I missing something?
Who said it and where, when?

Regarding the comment about "Citizens" and "Civilians". I can't agree.
While I am fed up with jackwagons running our country with no life experience, and have made politics a carreer, not everyone has what it takes to serve in the military. Both of my Grandfathers were drafted for WWII. One couldn't make it because his right arms was run over by a tractor when he was 8 years old. He went on to working at AERO Jet & Boeing as an engineer designing aircraft components. My other grandfather couldn't pass the physical because his feet had abnormalities that prevented him from marching. He went on to become a welder, welding submarines at Mare Island, and the Oakland shipyards during WWII.
Both were great men who contributed greatly to the war effort, and being very successful people.
We could help our country immensely if we stopped allowing politics to become a carreer. That would prevent our current President from running a great country into the ground because he has absolutely NO life experience, not even managing a F'ing McDonalds.

As far as DD214's. When I was in they were good enough to indicate your MOS, awards, ribbons, and only some skill identifiers. I was in the Army from 1984-1990. The Army had some crazy rules back then. If you were Ranger qualified, but not assigned to a Ranger unit you could not wear the Ranger tab. Many foreign training was not recognized, and you were not authorized to wear the training identifiers on your BDU's (Foreign Parachute wings, French Commando badge, Jungle Expert patch, etc.) Also, many of the countries that you were deployed to did not show up on your ETS DD-214. I had fellow troopers have complications of malaria from Panama and attempt to get treatment at a Vet's hospital, but their DD214 did not indicate they were ever there. The same goes with strange illnesses by troopers that got sick in Haiti, and Bosnia.
Many times they were stuck because they were inserted into countries, did their job, had to sign non-disclosure agreements about where they were and what they did, and then had to convince the VA that their condition was a cause of where they were.

As far as veterans. Anyone who has served honorably is a veteran. It doesn't matter if they were in combat.
When my twin sons enetered into the military they asked me what job they should get to make a difference. My advice was to learn something that they could apply to the civilian world when they got out.
I also explained the following to them to put members of the military into perspective.
The military is a team . Everyone works together to accomplish the objective. There will be soldiers working out front that you will see, but there are so many support personnel that makes the team work. I understand that 70% of the armed forces serve in a support role.
Intel troops tell you where and when.
Mechanics keep your rigs operational in the harshest of conditions.
Transportation gets the troops around and up front.
Supply gets the food, ammo and fuel where it is needed.
Medical takes care of you when your injured, and keeps you healthy.
Honor Guard helps your family with pride, and acknowledgement of sacrifice when you are buried in the 'leanin' rest'.
Technicians keep your comm's, and tech equipment reliable in the harshest of conditions.
Radio operators know how to talk with one another to get the info through from the soldiers shooting, to the generals pointing.
When you have been in the trenches for months on end, and you get some R&R, you appreciate the ride back to base, hot food, fresh uniforms and equipment, getting cold beer and a warm bed. Forward troops give the support troops a lot of crap, but without support none of it would happen.
The Army gives Navy and Air Force troops a lot of crap too. But when they need air support, high or low there is no complaining.
Now if the Marines can just learn to count past 'four'. Seriously, how the Marines do what they do, with the crappy equipment they have, it's amazing.

That's my input.
WARDOG
101st ABN Pathfinders

I still remember seeing some reservists that were attached to our unit roll up in new gear while in Kuwait right before we headed into Iraq. We were all pretty pissed we got Army hand me downs and they got the best. A reservist tried to say he wasn't suppose to be there because he had a life and that only active duty Marines should be there. Funny how some think they could reap the benefits but not have to "pay up". But we made do with the gear we had. Interestingly one of the most important things I had was my neck gaiter, had a few British soldiers try to barter with me. Spent a lot of time working outside so there was no way I was letting it go.
Old 04-08-2012, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamatrnr View Post
I wanted to go over and clock him (and have a piece of his *** while I'm at it), but then I decided it wasn't worth going to jail over.

I would have bailed you out, brother...
That makes two of us!

Old 04-08-2012, 7:08 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplusplus View Post
Way back I used to think my job as a REMF Electronics Tech wasn't very "Glorious"... No storming the beaches etc. Then on my second cruise in Gulf War I, I was invited to the ready room of our Attack Squadron by the CO, along with all the rest of the TRON's in my shop.

They showed us a video of the Alpha Strike into the heart of Baghdad. The CO was narrating the video from the nose FLIR. Alll you could see was green silohete on green of the terrain. Then the whole screen was lit up with AAA and SAM's as they planes got close. Then the CO said... "And here is where we turned on YOUR jammers" and the AAA stopped or scattered and the SAM's fell to the ground or shot off harmlessly with no tracking.

He turned to us and said... "Thank you, if your Jammers didn't do thier job half my men wouldn't be here in this room tonight". Then we got a standing ovation.

Makes you pretty humble when you are 21 years old.

Never again did I think that what I did, didn't matter.

I would tell that story to every new guy I got in my shop from then on to never listen to those who would dismiss what those not on the tip of the spear do.
This here, is why after 20 plus years of serving my country, I never take any service members job for granted. Each and every one of us is a feather in the eagle that soars. From that "lowly" techno-geek to the door kicker. . . each of us has a mission that without the other, will always fail. This is the perfect example of why each of us who put on the uniform, after we have served our term, deserves to be called a Veteran. To me, there is no discerning the difference between a "combat" veteran and a REMF Veteran.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oaklander View Post
I don't like getting my butt kicked, but I would like to have it spanked by some big hairy guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsmily View Post
I wouldn't put "mounting a weasel" past too many people on this forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmang View Post
Going after the NFA soon is like asking the girl you just met in the bar if she's into anal sex...
-Gene
Old 04-09-2012, 8:20 AM

I am a Veteran, I served honorably for 9 1/2 years in the Navy. I was never given an order to fire on an enemy nor do I have any claim to any type of combat what so ever.

I have had to walk out of the VA hospital several times because I saw the men who live with the daily rememberance of their sacrifice for their country. I am so very blessed to not have to live with the demons those vets carry for the rest of their lives.

To me, my service is mine that I hold near to my heart. The combat vets will always get a place ahead of me in any line or discussion.

Thank You to those that did the work of our country to keep us safe, bless those that live with the reminders, and remember those that never made it home.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:24 AM

I remember flying into Bangor, Maine on the return flight from Iraq. The first touchdown on American soil most of us had seen in 15 months. There waiting for us was the USO and a bunch of VFW guys to give us Poppys and shake our hands. I talked with a few of them, and nothing will make you feel like a ****bag quicker than having a guy who jumped into Sicily, Normandy, and Market Garden with the 82nd Airborne telling you thank you for your service. That got me choked up.
Old 04-10-2012, 2:30 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
VETERANS' PREFERENCE: Generally, preference is granted to veterans who entered the military service prior to October 14, 1976; or served on active duty during the period from August 2, 1990, through January 2, 1992, and who are otherwise eligible; or who served on active duty during the period beginning September 11, 2001, and ending on the last day of Operation Iraqi Freedom; or who have served in a military action for which they received a Campaign Badge or Expeditionary Medal. This includes the Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (AFEM) awarded to those who participated in Operation Joint Endeavor or Operation Joint Guard. Also, you may be entitled to veterans' preference if you are a disabled veteran; you have received a Purple Heart; you are the spouse or mother of a disabled veteran; or you are the widow, widower, or mother of a deceased veteran. Applicants will be required toavailable on the Main Menu screen under the selection entitled, "Veteran Information provide documents with their application to validate their claim for preference. More detailed information is ."
This seems to indicate you only get veterans preferance if you've served during a time of war.
Old 05-11-2012, 7:43 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsenk View Post
I remember flying into Bangor, Maine on the return flight from Iraq. The first touchdown on American soil most of us had seen in 15 months. There waiting for us was the USO and a bunch of VFW guys to give us Poppys and shake our hands. I talked with a few of them, and nothing will make you feel like a ****bag quicker than having a guy who jumped into Sicily, Normandy, and Market Garden with the 82nd Airborne telling you thank you for your service. That got me choked up.
That's amazing mate!

Thank you for your service!

Old 05-22-2012, 2:42 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I suppose I am a veteran since I did serve honorably in the Army Reserve for 6+ years and spent almost a year deployed (Not in a combat zone).

However I use the title 'Veteran' sparingly, especially when I am around coworkers who served in actual combat areas.

Nevertheless I am proud as hell to have served and I respect anyone and everyone who ever took the oath and stepped up to serve.
Old 05-23-2012, 2:07 PM
Veteran Member

Default unbelievable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyj09 View Post
If you think that's bad, check out what a classmate of mine said in my English class at a northern California university a few semesters ago (I wasn't in the classroom for this, but my girlfriend was).

This scumbag said something along the lines of, "If you're in the military, you deserve to go to Iraq and die. You signed up so you could murder and rape women and children all day, so you deserve it if you die."

I'll tell you right now, I would have broke that little scumbags jaw if I were there. At the time, my brother was stationed in Iraq, but even if he wasn't, I would have been just as pissed off.

I swear I think college students are some of the most ignorant, unintelligent people on earth.
This is one of the most insulting and unpatriotic statements I have every read. While I do believe in free speech, this is statement pushes the limits.

This POS isn't subject to a draft because we have a volunteer based military, in many other countries military service is mandatory.

I can understand how you would like to break this Guy's jaw, all I can say is don't. The consequences for you or anyone else just aren't worth it.

That POS one day will find himself in a jam that he won't be able to get out of and he will be royally screwed, Karma is a *****.
Old 05-28-2012, 6:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rplusplus View Post
Way back I used to think my job as a REMF Electronics Tech wasn't very "Glorious"... No storming the beaches etc. Then on my second cruise in Gulf War I, I was invited to the ready room of our Attack Squadron by the CO, along with all the rest of the TRON's in my shop.

They showed us a video of the Alpha Strike into the heart of Baghdad. The CO was narrating the video from the nose FLIR. Alll you could see was green silohete on green of the terrain. Then the whole screen was lit up with AAA and SAM's as they planes got close. Then the CO said... "And here is where we turned on YOUR jammers" and the AAA stopped or scattered and the SAM's fell to the ground or shot off harmlessly with no tracking.

He turned to us and said... "Thank you, if your Jammers didn't do thier job half my men wouldn't be here in this room tonight". Then we got a standing ovation.

Makes you pretty humble when you are 21 years old.

Never again did I think that what I did, didn't matter.

I would tell that story to every new guy I got in my shop from then on to never listen to those who would dismiss what those not on the tip of the spear do.
That is so awsome!!!

NRA Member for life

Semper Sometimes – appropriation of Semper Fi used to deride the part-time nature of service in the Marine Corps Reserve. ARAH!!!

I used to make jokes... But then I lost my sense of humor in a boating accident.
Old 05-31-2012, 5:56 PM
Banned

You guys have to understand where the original comment that started this thread is coming from. I am NOT saying anyone who serves is not a veteran, do not confuse yourself. However, YES it does piss me off that while I am out in a remote COP in Afghanistan without even a shower getting attacked nearly every day there are others on a big *** FOB eating hot meals and having hot showers every night that get the same pay, status, etc. as me. It's like the patch on your right shoulder you get for deploying. All the infantry guys and myself called it a deployment patch while everyone else called it a combat patch. I actually "came up" with a pretty good motto we would say when **** like this would get to us. "This is their war" When we got to go back to my company's COP which had some luxuries and even once in a while the battalion FOB we would see people complain because the MWR was packed. We didn't even have an MWR at our COP. Reasons like that is why people get ticked off but there is a line between a vet and a combat vet. I'm not defending the comment of the guy or even getting into that but I'm just trying to give a perspective for why there is tension between the infantry and POG population.

For large scale wars and such you do need every MOS to support the infantry, yes. You are a veteran if you have worn the uniform and graduated from basic. However a lot of infantry guys (especially at remote COPs) never have those supporting MOS personnel and go the entire deployment doing everything themselves. That is why such bitterness exists. There isn't really a grey area in this so it's hard but like I said I'm just trying to give a view from the other side and how I feel.

If you took offense to this in any way you need thick skin.
Old 12-07-2013, 8:43 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

I think once you spend your first day on the job after boot/tech school unless you get hurt and processed out in basic or tech school.
Old 12-08-2013, 1:31 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The base I was stationed at was non deployable. This was during Desert Storm.
Old 12-08-2013, 8:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Hey scuba
Im one of those MOSs that is not 11b and hump every single mile, stand right beside when bullets are going both ways, my bullets hit some of the same targets the 11b next to me did, yet I dif not get a combat infantry badge, same week, I acted as a medic, getting 7 11b's extracted from a grenade hit, myself and a medic carrying them to safety, doctored them up quite well, one guy had half a leg gone, morphine wasnt enough, so this wasn't pretty, got them all in a hummer, got them to rear hospital too, didn't get a combat medic badge.
Their 2LT gained my respect though, he had shrap in his arm, he quickly patched while we were extracting, and he went on with the mission
I wear my combat patch with pride, I earned it just as much as any 11b I was with. Any 11b that has worked with 17k/96r would say we earn ours
I feel the way you do in regards to our not being eligible for the combat infantry badge, we sweat the same blood every where we went

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
WTT 45 ammo
KZ1000 Police Motorcycle
Movado His/Her Watches
Front Sight 4-Day Handgun $99
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates
Old 12-08-2013, 9:02 PM

I'm thankful I'm not a Combat Veteran.
I was in jimmy carter's Army.
Old 12-08-2013, 9:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Jimmy carter is why I spent a year in 3/9 manchu, 6 months training, 6 months Sinai

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk
WTT 45 ammo
KZ1000 Police Motorcycle
Movado His/Her Watches
Front Sight 4-Day Handgun $99
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates
Old 12-09-2013, 8:36 AM

All gave some...some gave all!

Service is service. But I understand what scuba said 100%. I've seen some nasty places and then after a month in the ****, we get back and see people *****ing and moaning about the temp. or lack of certain comforts of home.
Old 12-16-2013, 5:11 PM

Being a veteran is about the willingness to serve. To sign on that dotted line in efforts of doing your part for the good of the country. (Atleast in theory, thanks to our present politicians the lines can be blurred)
Conflicts are not won upon things that go "bang boom or pew pew pew" alone. Behind every set of boots on the ground, every stick wiggler in the sky.. Behind every single man/woman/hybrid on the front lines there is a massive amount of troops providing support. From the cooks making sure there's a hot meal waiting, to the truck driver making sure the ammo dump is stocked, that eagerly anticipated letter from home is there..
Clear back to the support personnel back here at home. The little ole lady inspecting that run of M855 at Lake City making sure every rounds goes bang, not click. My aircraft kept flying thanks to the efforts of hundreds if not thousands of people collectively.
There is so much logistical support. They are just as important, they are absolutely vital. For anyone to imply that the only ones who count are those doing the sending/receiving of bullets and explosives..I would say to him he has obviously never served as he clearly does not understand anything about how our armed forces work nor the true spirit of a "veteran".
I am proud to have served with my brothers and sisters in arms. I always made darn sure to thank the non uniformed support personnel as well. They all matter and they all count.
Old 12-21-2013, 6:24 AM
Calguns Addict

A veteran is a service memeber who honorably served....

A combat veteran is a service member who has seen combat and honorably served...

Might be feeding the trolls right.now....
Old 12-21-2013, 8:10 AM

Im a female who deployed to Kuwait for OIF/OEF. I was in a combat zone but never saw combat.

My hubby enlisted 2 days after 9-11 and did two tours in Kuwait. We receive free healthcare from the VA for being combat vets.

I consider us both veterans. I miss it.
Old 12-21-2013, 9:02 AM

****ing idiotic comment
we all know of people being killed just even in training, accidents etc
but agreed that your a veteran once you earn the right to wear the uniform
Old 12-21-2013, 9:27 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba Steve33 View Post
You guys have to understand where the original comment that started this thread is coming from. I am NOT saying anyone who serves is not a veteran, do not confuse yourself. However, YES it does piss me off that while I am out in a remote COP in Afghanistan without even a shower getting attacked nearly every day there are others on a big *** FOB eating hot meals and having hot showers every night that get the same pay, status, etc. as me. It's like the patch on your right shoulder you get for deploying. All the infantry guys and myself called it a deployment patch while everyone else called it a combat patch. I actually "came up" with a pretty good motto we would say when **** like this would get to us. "This is their war" When we got to go back to my company's COP which had some luxuries and even once in a while the battalion FOB we would see people complain because the MWR was packed. We didn't even have an MWR at our COP. Reasons like that is why people get ticked off but there is a line between a vet and a combat vet. I'm not defending the comment of the guy or even getting into that but I'm just trying to give a perspective for why there is tension between the infantry and POG population.

For large scale wars and such you do need every MOS to support the infantry, yes. You are a veteran if you have worn the uniform and graduated from basic. However a lot of infantry guys (especially at remote COPs) never have those supporting MOS personnel and go the entire deployment doing everything themselves. That is why such bitterness exists. There isn't really a grey area in this so it's hard but like I said I'm just trying to give a view from the other side and how I feel.

If you took offense to this in any way you need thick skin.
With all due respect, I think you have a high horse you need to get off. All this sounds like to me is you are internally in search for something to one-up yourself from those who haven't done EXACTLY what you did, plus the already major life accomplishment of deploying to a war zone for our country, and your explanation to us is a projection of your need for validation.

Honestly no offense, but that's how I read it, and a lot of men in general are this way. It's an ego thing. Not necessarily bad but I just know it when I see it.

I too was at those remote FOBs (Castle, Taghaz, Alcatraz for a bit...As well as Payne and Leatherneck), I'm a POG, and I did the patrols, seen (multiple) people get blown up. Its what you make of it and if someone has an easier deployment than you, big deal and don't let your ego run your thinking.

At the end of the day you signed up for the grunt work, and the other 90% (of the Marine Corps in my case) did not. Its only natural grunts get the **** end of the stick, you must have known that coming in.

Every 03 I have ever met has been cool as hell and have never had any animosity, especially on deployment because we're all out there together.

ALL ITEMS FOR SALE ARE FROM NORTH SD COUNTY AND WILL SHIP (EXCEPT AMMO CANS)
$20 - 92FS / XD9 / M&P / PT92 / P226 / P228 / P229 Magazines
$12 - M16 Magazines
$7 - .30 CAL AMMO CANS

Last edited by Germz; 12-21-2013 at 9:33 AM..