Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 04-04-2007, 12:42 PM

Default Range in SD area

where's a good place to shoot in the SD area? AR friendly of course...preferrably like Burro, where they offer private range...

TIA
Old 04-04-2007, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

If you're hung up on outdoor, you're gonna have to go to Jacumba or Escondido Fish + Game.

If you want indoors, Iron Sights is about the best range in the county. If you don't wanna drive to Oceanside, there's always American Shooting Center towards Kearney Mesa.
Old 04-04-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammaton76 View Post
If you're hung up on outdoor, you're gonna have to go to Jacumba or Escondido Fish + Game.

If you want indoors, Iron Sights is about the best range in the county. If you don't wanna drive to Oceanside, there's always American Shooting Center towards Kearney Mesa.

do you have a link to Jacumba or Escondido Fish + Game? we would much prefer outdoor

thanks
Old 04-04-2007, 1:08 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.escondidofishandgame.com/

Ah, here we go:
http://shooting.forsandiego.com/Ranges.html
Old 04-04-2007, 1:34 PM
Veteran Member

use the border fence as your backstop? jk jk

im sure you can prob just go out to the desert?
Old 04-04-2007, 3:44 PM

This might help...

http://shooting.forsandiego.com/Ranges.html
Old 04-04-2007, 3:45 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoway View Post
Yes indeed, it might. Particularly since it was posted two posts up already.
Old 04-04-2007, 3:49 PM

Quote:
Yes indeed, it might. Particularly since it was posted two posts up already.
Oops... wasn't paying attention...
Old 04-04-2007, 3:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquejr View Post
where's a good place to shoot in the SD area? AR friendly of course...preferrably like Burro, where they offer private range...

TIA

Outdoor ranges (I think ALL the outdoor ranges down here are *private*):
- South Bay Rod & Gun (private, 300m max)
- Rainbow (private, 100/150yds max)
- Pala (private, they've got out to 800m!!!!)
- Lemon Grove Rod & Gun (private)
- Escondido Fish & Game (private, 100yds max)
- various location in the BLM's land (public), Jacumba & Orosco Ridge are well-known and designated.... there are many other OK to shoot places, that are undocumented

Indoor ranges:
- American Shooting Center
- Iron-Sights
- Project 2000 (they've got the ONLY indoor 100yds)

Last edited by Jicko; 04-04-2007 at 3:54 PM..
Old 04-04-2007, 4:35 PM
Veteran Member

south bay rod and gun is membership, but you can buy a one day membership for $15.

ef&g is membership strictly, but you can come as a guest of a member or on public shoots.

I was thinking to buy a membership at pala too since they shoot idpa there and have bermed pistol ranges so more than one stage can be shot at one time (or so I hear).

I have an Orosco ridge story from 1994 and have never been back- want to go however- but I guess I don't exactly know where it is. Long story short..made a wrong turn and ended up on that ranch property. Found some shell casings where the property owners shoot...started in with it until we got ran off..that dude was pretty damn nervous asking us to go. That was also the day I lost my hearing in my right ear for about 10 minutes because I forgot to put on my muffs before I let loose with a 38 snubbie.
Old 04-05-2007, 9:41 AM

thanks all for the input...i plan on taking my cousin that lives in sd to the range so he can try the OLL and maybe, just maybe, he'll catch the disease...
Old 04-05-2007, 9:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquejr View Post
thanks all for the input...i plan on taking my cousin that lives in sd to the range so he can try the OLL and maybe, just maybe, he'll catch the disease...

Go to iron sight then... and maybe when grammaton is going... so you can try his toys too...
Old 04-05-2007, 12:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JickoRicko View Post
Go to iron sight then... and maybe when grammaton is going... so you can try his toys too...
Heh... yeah, just go Monday after next, and look for the 6'2" guy carrying a coffin into the range. One of these days I'm just going to go anime and start carrying in a huge cross stuffed with guns...
Old 04-05-2007, 4:42 PM

I don't understand why no one likes project 2000
Old 04-05-2007, 5:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wksun88 View Post

I went to an inter-club trap shoot there a few months ago and I thought it was a great range...but damn.. I do live in San Marcos. 100 yd indoor range is something you don't see everyday too.

btw, how do they regulate hitting the backstop on the 100 yd setup? are pistols allowed in that end? I guess all hte targets would have to be hung high enough assuming a shot from a bench.

I could see a tall pistol shooter standing and shooting downward slightly on a low hung paper target and skidding lead across the floor at about 80 yards or so.
Old 04-05-2007, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Heh... yeah, just go Monday after next, and look for the 6'2" guy carrying a coffin into the range. One of these days I'm just going to go anime and start carrying in a huge cross stuffed with guns...
are you a regular there?

it'll be a weekend trip but you are more than welcome to join us and you can bring maybe 1 or 2 of your toys
Old 04-05-2007, 9:06 PM
Well used Member
CGN Contributor

Default I love P2K.

I'm a member at project 2000 and I really like the range. The staff is knowledgeable, polite, and helpful. I think the fact that it is halfway to Jamul might have something to do with it. Great place to shoot a rifle.

mike100, I've made the drive to the San Marcos Turner's many times. I don't blame you, that is a long drive. I will find out about handguns on the 100yd. lanes. I'm curious now since you mentioned it.

Quote:

"Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something."--Plato

Last edited by taloft; 04-05-2007 at 9:08 PM..
Old 04-05-2007, 10:22 PM

Arrow Volunteer!

the Carrizo Creek Range out in Jacumba is an AWESOME place to shoot! But it may go the way of most SoCal ranges and be CLOSED DOWN if we are not PROACTIVE and preserve this range.

check out www.CarrizoCreekRange.Org to find our how you can help keep this last GOOD OUTDOOR range open!!!
Old 04-06-2007, 1:40 AM
Veteran Member

Near south bay rod and gun there is also some BLM land that you can shoot on. Just drive past SBRGC for about 1/2 mile and there is a small trail on the right that runs along the power lines. Depending on where you set up, you can shoot out to about 600-700 yards. The terrain is pretty steep, and hard to travel on foot for very far because of random small canyons in the area. Because of this, you'll either be shooting at 50 yards, or way out to at least 300. The middle ground is pretty much impossible to set up targets in. You also have to be REALLY watchful for people on ATV's. Last time I was out there, I had a guy ride right through my scopes field of view seconds before I was going to take a shot.....
Old 04-06-2007, 3:49 PM

Quote:
We should try and keep it that way. More open lanes for us!!
Old 04-06-2007, 5:20 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMJBT View Post
Near south bay rod and gun there is also some BLM land that you can shoot on. Just drive past SBRGC for about 1/2 mile and there is a small trail on the right that runs along the power lines. Depending on where you set up, you can shoot out to about 600-700 yards. The terrain is pretty steep, and hard to travel on foot for very far because of random small canyons in the area. Because of this, you'll either be shooting at 50 yards, or way out to at least 300. The middle ground is pretty much impossible to set up targets in. You also have to be REALLY watchful for people on ATV's. Last time I was out there, I had a guy ride right through my scopes field of view seconds before I was going to take a shot.....
is that the truck trail rd? anyways the area before you get to the otay park/ preserve or whatever evil exclusionary zone that is looked like a good place to hunt birds when the season comes around... I did see one guy sort of camping out that way once too.
Old 04-06-2007, 5:49 PM

Default +1 Project 2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by taloft View Post
I'm a member at project 2000 and I really like the range. The staff is knowledgeable, polite, and helpful. I think the fact that it is halfway to Jamul might have something to do with it. Great place to shoot a rifle.

mike100, I've made the drive to the San Marcos Turner's many times. I don't blame you, that is a long drive. I will find out about handguns on the 100yd. lanes. I'm curious now since you mentioned it.
Excellent facility and friendly to just about every legal firearm. Apparently, they will also be OLL-transfer friendly in the near future.
Old 04-06-2007, 6:01 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
is that the truck trail rd? anyways the area before you get to the otay park/ preserve or whatever evil exclusionary zone that is looked like a good place to hunt birds when the season comes around... I did see one guy sort of camping out that way once too.

I'm not sure. It's on the same road as South Bay Rod and Gun, Maron Valley rd I think. Past the entrance to the gun club by about a half mile on the right, there is a trail marked by a yellow reflector. As you go down this trail there are smaller trails that lead off to the side, I think these are maintenance trails for the guys who work on the power lines that run through the area. Each trail that leads off to the side ends up leading to a tower for those lines. I normally set up near the first tower, which is the first trail on the left after you get on the main trail from Maron Valley rd. From that tower, you are slightly elevated and can shoot down into the valley below. You have to use a car or truck to set up targets at farther ranges there because of the terrain. I had a steel plate set up at about 500-600 yards away, but I think it would be possible to set up targets even further if you are willing to hike a little. It's also a great area for shotgun. Clay pigeons seem to stay airborne for a long time if you launch them over a valley.

As I stated earlier, there are sometimes a lot of ATV's in use that you have to watch out for. I've also seen a few illegal aliens hiking through the area, but they tend to vanish once they hear gunfire.

Mike