Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-24-2012, 8:50 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Is 1911 good gun for beginner?

I have a female friend who does not know anything about guns and only shot once in her life time (Glock, M&P, and 1911 9mm). She is thinking about getting a full size 1911 9mm as her first gun because recoil friendly and single stack frame. Also, she thinks 1911 is one sexy gun and everyone should have one. I am just wondering is 1911 good gun to start for someone who has no clue about firearms?

I am a huge 1911 fan, but I am leaning towards more on Glock, M&P, and CZ 75B because they are so simple to use. Especially when it comes cleaning and maintenance. I know Sigs are simple gun as well, but I do not think she is ready for DA/SA style gun yet. Maybe I am wrong, what you guys think?

She really wants 9mm as her first gun because she can use it for range and home protection.
Old 02-24-2012, 8:54 PM

1911s aren't good starter guns, IMHO, even in 9mm. Mainly because it's SA only, manual safety and the field strip is rather hard.

I think M&Ps, Glocks, sig p226 and CZ75 BD are good starter guns. Simple to use, no manual safety. My vote for her would be the CZ75 BD because it looks similar to 1911 and has an awesome grip.
Old 02-24-2012, 9:01 PM
Calguns Addict

I also think 1911 field stripping might be too hard for her.
Old 02-24-2012, 9:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJackUSMC View Post
Also, she thinks 1911 is one sexy gun and everyone should have one.
Does she have any pretty, single friends that share the same opinion?

IMO, If she feels comfortable operating a 1911, then absolutely that's what she should get. Its one of the best handguns ever made.
Old 02-24-2012, 9:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I am just wondering is 1911 good gun to start for someone who has no clue about firearms?
No. You'll get a million people give you a million stupid reasons to try to convince you otherwise, but...no.

"Any unarmed people are slaves, or are subject to slavery at any given moment." - Dr. Huey P. Newton
Old 02-24-2012, 9:04 PM

It was my first handgun. Once you've mastered taking apart the 1911 as your first, all those Glocks and what not will be childs play.
Old 02-24-2012, 9:05 PM

Quote:
I also think 1911 field stripping might be too hard for her.
That's why you teach her how. If my sister, who's a professional violinist, can tear her 1911 down, i know your friend can.
Old 02-24-2012, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G60 View Post
No. You'll get a million people give you a million stupid reasons to try to convince you otherwise, but...no.
Sigh, no matter how much I love 1911s, I agree with you.

I also may add that 1911s are expensive and heavy. On top of that if you need all purpose piece, 1911s aren't as versatile as "modern" handguns. Wonder 9s are better service pistols, especially if she doesn't get into hobby any further than one pistol.
Old 02-24-2012, 9:12 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaLuv View Post
Sigh, no matter how much I love 1911s, I agree with you.

I also may add that 1911s are expensive and heavy. On top of that if you need all purpose piece, 1911s aren't as versatile as "modern" handguns. Wonder 9s are better service pistols, especially if she doesn't get into hobby any further than one pistol.
Thats what i was thinking: 1911's are a little expensive for someones first gun, if you dont end up enjoying the hobby, your in it for like $800. Theres nothing wrong with a glock or even a hi point

― Roger Zelazny, The Great Book of Amber
Old 02-24-2012, 9:13 PM

One thing I have learned is to stop telling your Gf or wife what they want. If she wants a 1911 in 9mm. she should get one. It's up to you to teach her how to take care of it. It is a simple gun, the is easy to shoot, that is what made it so popular for 100 years. If the Army can teach a knuckle head to field strip it, you should be able to teach your GF. Maybe you should watch this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFaS-2SM6WU

Benjamin Franklin
Old 02-24-2012, 9:16 PM

With enough training, but barring that - not so much.

Something in a 4" revolver is more appropriate IMO.

Semi autos for beginners aren't optimum for many reasons - complexity, safety (is it loaded?) function, jams, etc.

I've trained close to 100 nuggets with a 1911, but they get 40 hours class time before they ever see a live round and even then, there are those...

Let her try a revolver.
Old 02-24-2012, 9:16 PM
Calguns Addict

I personally steer new shooters towards 4-6" revolvers typically.

However, I don't feel a Glock is any safer than a 1911. All handguns require instruction on proper use and safe gun handling. If she chooses a 1911 though she needs to be more mechanically inclined and it will require more maintenance. The reward though is a great trigger unmatched by most pistols and a grip that can be tailored to her hand size via the use of short triggers and slim grips.

"While Ruger DA revolvers may be built like a tank, they have the aesthetics of one also,
although I suppose there are a few tanks which I owe an apology to for that remark"

Old 02-24-2012, 9:20 PM
Veteran Member

If she really wants one, then it is her decision.

If you have a good teacher and you are taught right, I do not see a problem with starting out with 1911's. I was, at a very early age.

If she is not serious about learning and giving it a 110%, I wouldn't go near a 1911 though. Females love 1911's but they really are not good guns for people that know little to nothing about firearms.

I would lead her towards a good striker-fired M&P or a good solid DA/SA 9mm pistol.
Old 02-24-2012, 9:22 PM

I vote for yes, get what you want (or she wants in this case).
Just have some properly teach the platform.
Old 02-24-2012, 9:24 PM

i started with a 1911 it wasnt that hard to learn. field strip is simple as long as you understand how to and know what you are doing.

When i got sig sauers as my 2nd and 3rd handgun and it was harder to for me to completely disassemble them.

Another good thing about 1911 is that they have safety, beginners understanding of safety is always priority, this helps build up the basic fundamentals of handling firearms.

To hell and back reliability
When it counts

Last edited by hyperion.excal; 02-24-2012 at 9:26 PM..
Old 02-24-2012, 9:35 PM
Veteran Member

Have her read this:
http://www.10-8performance.com/pages...9;s-Guide.html

If she's still up for it, it's still probably not the right choice.
Old 02-24-2012, 9:39 PM

The 1911 was my first. I don't know...there's just so many things about it that stick out from the rest. I preferred the SA on the 1911 because it made it easier to shoot, but now I want to shoot DA triggers to get better practice. I actually hated shooting revolvers when I first got into guns. It felt awkward to shoot compared to the semi-autos, but now I want one!

edit: btw, how long has she been shooting for? I bought my gun 8-9 months after I fired one for the first time, and I was going almost every month. I now go every week . It might be best to spend more time at the range, and maybe she'll change her mind. I know I did. I first bought a 1911 9mm, but after 3 months sold it for a 1911 .45acp

Last edited by puRe59; 02-24-2012 at 9:55 PM..
Old 02-24-2012, 9:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The U.S. military started out a few beginners with 1911s in .45ACP over the years.

If she really wants a 1911 then she has excellent taste in weaponry & should get one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 02-24-2012, 9:52 PM
Calguns Addict

If she can rack the slide of a 1911 then she can rack a Glock 19.

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 02-24-2012, 9:56 PM
Calguns Addict

She only shot once in her life time so far and it was 2 months ago.
Old 02-24-2012, 9:59 PM

Quote:
She only shot once in her life time so far and it was 2 months ago.
OK, I think I know why she likes 1911s more, glocks and M&P have more recoil than the 1911, for obvious reasons.

Get her a p226 or a CZ75 BD, those are some heavy 9mm service pistols, I bet you she will reconsider.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
If she can rack the slide of a 1911 then she can rack a Glock 19.

Well... they ARE easier to clean. Toss 'em in the dishwasher & GTG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:08 PM
Banned

If she's serious then I see nothing wrong with a 1911. The truth is that people who challenge themselves to learn will be better in the long run.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:19 PM
CGN Contributor

If she wants a 1911 in 9mm then why not?

Do you think she's going to want to go shooting with a gun she didn't want and doesn't like?

Here I am.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Calguns Addict

No. The 1911 is not for beginners. It has too many things going on with it. I love 1911s, but there is a time and a place for them. The US Military trained millions of people how to use muzzle loading muskets as well, so that isn't really a valid argument. For a first gun, you want simple and reliable. Most of the Glock-style automatics offer that. I personally like the grips on the M&P, but you should have her try to hold (or better yet, shoot) several models before she decides. And have her try a plain old vanilla .38 revolver with a 4-6 inch barrel too. They aren't sexy, but they are one of the best guns out there for teaching the basics. You can normally pick up used ones on GB for under $200. If it is a C&R, you can even get it sent here.

-Mb
Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 PM

There is nothing wrong with a 1911 for your first gun. My dad taught me how to shoot with a 1911 when I was 10. If an idiot like me can do it, anybody can!

Is a 1911 harder to maintain or field strip than a Glock or M&P? Yes. Is it rocket science? No.

That being said, since she has only shot once, it would be a good idea to take to a range and have her rent several different guns. She might find one she likes better.

The type of gun does not matter nearly so much as proper training. Get her what she is comfortable with and she will shoot it better, more often, and have more fun doing it. The important thing is to teach her proper safety techniques once she has it, no matter what she gets.

Just my two cents worth.

www.CaliforniaFishingHoles.com Your guide to the best fishing holes in California.

www.facebook.com/CaliforniaFishingHoles

Last edited by brian5271; 02-24-2012 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 02-24-2012, 11:14 PM

IMHO, I think any handgun is ok for a first handgun if you have any common sense and you are willing to train. True, a 1911 has a certain manual of arms but how hard is it really?
Old 02-24-2012, 11:38 PM

I don't see anything wrong with a 1911 for a first handgun. I don't buy that their to complicated, it isn't rocket science. She should get whatever she wants, learn to use it, and practice with it.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
I have a female friend who does not know anything about guns and only shot once in her life time (Glock, M&P, and 1911 9mm). She is thinking about getting a full size 1911 9mm as her first gun because recoil friendly and single stack frame. Also, she thinks 1911 is one sexy gun and everyone should have one. I am just wondering is 1911 good gun to start for someone who has no clue about firearms?

I am a huge 1911 fan, but I am leaning towards more on Glock, M&P, and CZ 75B because they are so simple to use. Especially when it comes cleaning and maintenance. I know Sigs are simple gun as well, but I do not think she is ready for DA/SA style gun yet. Maybe I am wrong, what you guys think?

She really wants 9mm as her first gun because she can use it for range and home protection.
Tell her to get a revolver. .38 special

-Freq
Old 02-25-2012, 7:15 AM
Calguns Addict

Okay members, she really wants to train with 1911 so I am going to help her. Even when she could barely rack the slide, but she really likes 1911. I just need to teach her right and take her to the range once a month if possible. I know 9mm 1911 is little expensive, but thankfully money is not issue to her right now. She makes good money so she can afford to buy one without breaking her bank account.

I am going to let her practice with my 1911 9mm for little while before making her go buy one.
Old 02-25-2012, 7:37 AM

A 45 caliber is not a good starting gun. A 1911 platform is perfectly fine as a starting plat form. Whatever a beginner starts on should be constant because motor skill repetition is more important than platform type.

So a 1911 converted 22 would be perfect.

The ironic similarity between all guns is they should be dealt with the same in regard to the 4 rules. So 1911, DA revolver, or Glock it doesnít matter. But the 45ACP is not a good beginner round.
Old 02-25-2012, 7:39 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

If properly trained , I see no problems with 1911.
Old 02-25-2012, 8:23 AM

A 1911 takes dedication to maintain and operate properly. There are other designs that don't take as much work. Revolvers are probably best for someone who just wants a gun for SD and won't go to the range more than once a year, or practice dry-firing [unloaded of course].

IF she is willing to do the work, then a 1911 is fine. If she isn't willing to do the work on training/operating/cleaning, then she is better served by something else.

I've never launched a recoil spring from my Glock or M&P. I've launched them a few times with my 1911s, and I try to pay attention.

Now, another thought since she wants 9mm. Yes, there are some 9mm 1911s out there. I know there are some members with definite thoughts on reliability with that cartridge in a 1911. But, why not see if she likes the Browning Hi Power? 10 rounds of 9mm in a SA pistol with an external thumb safety that has a great history behind it also.

The one drawback to the Hi Power is the trigger: no matter how much you spend on it the trigger won't be as good as spending the same amount on a 1911. It can be improved on relatively easily: I worked on one of my Hi Powers and have it at a 4lb 9oz trigger that is smooth, by removing the mag disconnect and changing springs. That puts it as light as 2 of my 1911s and lighter than a third. However, the reset is longer. BTW, factory BHP triggers are in the 7-9lb range and the mag disconnect makes them feel gritty. Try pulling the trigger with the mag out to see what removing it does to the smoothness.

Just a thought.
Old 02-25-2012, 8:30 AM

In a perfect world, you give the shooter the information & experience they need to make an educated decision about what firearm, or firearms are right for them. Why rush into a first purchase when you don't have to?

-Eric
Old 02-25-2012, 8:33 AM

1911 was my first pistol, if she wants it then its a good choice. I didn't think it was that difficult to strip. As long as she can rack the slide comfortably it should be fine.
Old 02-25-2012, 8:45 AM

Quote:
Okay members, she really wants to train with 1911 so I am going to help her. Even when she could barely rack the slide, but she really likes 1911. I just need to teach her right and take her to the range once a month if possible. I know 9mm 1911 is little expensive, but thankfully money is not issue to her right now. She makes good money so she can afford to buy one without breaking her bank account.

I am going to let her practice with my 1911 9mm for little while before making her go buy one.
Make sure to take pics!
Old 02-25-2012, 1:58 PM

I think the 1911 is a perfect starter pistol. Although I would recommend a bobtailed commander-sized for your female friend instead of going full-sized if she has small hands and the weight may be too much for her.
Old 02-25-2012, 6:57 PM
Calguns Addict

She wants a 1911 for her first gun. That means she's doing better than about 90% of new shooters these days, myself included.

Two words to chime in with here. One, get it in .45 ACP. The recoil of a standard pressure .45 ACP round is better to my senses than a +P 9mm.

The second word is that her next purchase should be a traditional double action handgun. We live in litigious times ,and outside of the 1911 and Browning Hi-power handguns not many firms offer pistols with Condition 1 carrying as an option. Learning how to accurately shoot a TDA pistol comes in handy, as it allows a gun owner to be able to accurately shoot nearly every pistol sold on the marketplace today. It is difficult to do but once the Traditonal Double Action trigger is 'mastered' its not a skill one should lose. A shottist can go from a TDA handgun to a Condition 1 pistol, but the reverse is not an easy transition.

While a 1911 is a great gun, Im glad it wasn't my first gun for that reason. The last kind of shooter I want to be is the guy who flees from a double action pistol like a vampire from garlic because i've only been shooting Single Action for so long.
Old 02-25-2012, 8:41 PM

Nothing wrong with a 1911 for a first gun. Great gun.
Old 02-25-2012, 9:25 PM

Life is too short to pull ****ty trigger. Get a 1911.