Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-24-2012, 5:32 PM

Default Ammo shortages to come...? Hysteria?

I just got this email from Brownell's but found it rather disturbing; yes we all know this year has started off crazy and demand for guns and ammo is wayy up, but doesn't sending this types of email out spur even more hysteria with regard to ammo, and gun shortages?

If someone, not in the know, were to read that they might be inclined to contribute to the massive purchasing, no? (People tend to want what they are told they can’t have or items that are becoming scarce), what do you think?

Dear Folks,

We made a couple of predictions last month about how to prepare for 2012. If you missed it, we suggested you focus on Ammunition, which we are going to concentrate on in this article.

So, for a quick update: specifically, over the last 30 days, while we were following our own advice and preparing for 2012, we have observed that the ammunition manufacturers productions are at an all-time high and that the customer demand for ammunition is going to more than likely supersede the 2008-2009 “Election-Year Bubble”.

I checked in with one of our bright kids here to find out just what he was getting from his contacts in the industry – what he was hearing – and here is a condensation of what he told me.

General Industry Sentiment –
During the SHOT Show we began to hear rumblings that ammunition was heating up and that scarcity would likely be a concern as the year progressed. This has begun to manifest itself in major ways already. A few examples:

A great friend of ours reported: “Just returned from all the buyer-group shows and they were crazy busy. It’s starting to look like 2009 over again; we’ve been overwhelmed since December 1st. If it continues at this pace, we are going to see some major holes in inventory. The ammo guys are talking about shortages in .223 already . . . here we go again.”

Additionally, we have heard directly from one of the most prominent ammunition manufacturers who is reporting that they are a minimum of 60 to 90 days out on new purchase orders as of today.

Quantities of .223 and 5.56 that seemed to manufacturers at the SHOT Show like they should be plenty for the year are depleted already. Another great friend of ours had an entire warehouse of 5.56 go out in ONE purchase order!

Products to Take Advantage of NOW –
In preparation for this, our group has been working their tail off to secure quantities of the best products to offer to you. A few items we would recommend:

A really great product in 5.56 ammunition is the 5.56mm 62gr 420-Round Ammo Can from Federal Premium. Bulk-packed 5.56 x 45mm NATO ammunition is first run, first-quality ammo with the green-tip M855 (NATO SS109) 62 grain FMJ steel core “penetrator” bullet. Comes in 10-round stripper clips packed in a steel M19A1 ammo can. These have been an incredible seller for us and we have them IN STOCK and ready to ship today.

Great products for Handgun ammunition are the WINCHESTER 500 ROUND AMMO CAN BUNDLES. We’ve taken 10 (50) round boxes of high quality Winchester ammunition and kitted it with a top-of-the-line MTM Molded Ammo Can. Best of all, these kits are available in three flavors and they ALL are in stock and ready to ship today.
105-000-025 9mm WINCHESTER 500 ROUND AMMO CAN BUNDLE
105-000-021 .40 WINCHESTER 500 ROUND AMMO CAN BUNDLE
105-000-019 .45 ACP WINCHESTER 500 ROUND AMMO CAN BUNDLE

Plus, we’re always looking for ways that we can provide you with revolutionary products – that are exclusive to Brownells – and that really can boost your bottom line. That’s why we’ve come up with our Ammo Value Packs. These ammo value packs are unique kits that combine Ammunition, Magazines, Magazine Loaders, and other great items into single stock number solutions for you. We currently have over a dozen innovative Ammo Value packs at brownells.com.

Additionally –
During the last “craze” the run on AR15 magazines was also incredible. We manufactureTHE BEST AR15 MAGAZINES and they are in stock and ready to ship today. Don’t wait on these until they are too hard to get. Better to stock up on them early.

As you look forward, once the loaded ammunition becomes scarce, the run to reloading components begins. Sinclair International has a great inventory of brass, bullets, primers and powder for reloading. Check out what they have available and in stock. You'll be pleased at the choices.

Here at Brownells we're in great shape in inventory as this email goes out, and we're ready to answer your questions and ship your chosen items to you. We can't say that ammo is going to get scarce – we're only keeping our ear to the ground, to the phone and talking to the people who hopefully are reading their tea-leaves correctly. Personally, I'm lying in my own personal supply – after all those matches and prairie-dogs are waiting for me to attend to them. Plus, personally, I just like to be prepared – my nature, I guess

Before mods, and other goodies...
Old 02-24-2012, 5:49 PM
Veteran Member

Sounds like advertisement to me.
Old 02-24-2012, 5:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G60 View Post
I agree, it does sound like an advertisement, but it seems as if they are already attempting to take advantage of this situation.

Old 02-24-2012, 6:07 PM

Isn't taking advantage of the situation the American way?
Old 02-24-2012, 6:27 PM

pretty good ad

It's harder to find smokin hot deals but stock on the basic ammo is good most places.

Last edited by FourLoko; 02-24-2012 at 6:46 PM..
Old 02-24-2012, 6:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Part of it is marketing to get the buying going as that is what they are in business to do. It could likely happen. Ncic checks are at all time highs. Sales have been and continue to be through the roof and there is no sign it will slow. It is an election year and that will drive sales.

The only saving piece is everyones aware of what could happen so hopefully they are more prepared and our military is using less ammo.

Bwiese: "You are making the assumption the law is reasonable/has rationale."
Old 02-24-2012, 7:20 PM

Well, Obama did just say he has 5 more years to finish his agenda so maybe there is some truth to the assumption/advertisement.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:43 PM

Trying to stock up on components...I hope the rush won't be as bad on bullets, primers, etc.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

o'bama has been to the ammo/firearms industry what Komrad Slikwilly was to Rush...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:21 PM
Veteran Member

More profit in writing an email then having competitive pricing? Also with the war ending, shouldn't there be a surplus of 5.56 coming in?

www.appleseedinfo.org

"Everyone has a plan, till they get punched in the face." -Mike Tyson
Old 02-24-2012, 11:37 PM

yada yada yada... i got this email from wideners the other day too

Quote:
FINALLY, let's talk about 8mm. The 8mm surplus ammo has completely dried up on the world market. We have some of the last available Yugo surplus available.

SMA8MM-YUGOBX 8MM MAUSER 1950'S YUGO MFG 900 ROUNDS IN CAN $205.00. We have stocked this ammo for a long time, but this is the last available when this is gone, I guess we will be buying new ammo and reloading the brass. Get it while you can. No kidding.
SO IF IT'S THE LAST 8MM SURPLUS IN THE WORLD, WHY ARE YOU ONLY SELLING IT FOR 23 CENTS/RD??

this is what you need to know:

https://data.intrade.com/graphing/js...ww.intrade.com

Probability of Obama re-election as currently priced by Intrade betting market.

Last edited by rodngun762; 02-24-2012 at 11:41 PM..
Old 02-24-2012, 11:47 PM
CGSSA Leader
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Im still resentful at all the idiot consumers that drove up prices on ammo, mags, and gun parts.......if you could find these things, back in 2008. Remember, when obama was going to take our guns and ammo

Are you a AR-Noob? Have a question regarding AR-patterned rifles but are too embarrassed to ask or somehow missed the "search" feature? Shoot me a PM instead of creating a new thread! i'll try to answer your questions or lead you in the right direction!
<inspired by the adopt a noob thread>
Old 02-24-2012, 11:56 PM

Just bought 20,000 rds of 22lr from cmp just in case.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:14 AM

Cool just ordered in stock 1000 rounds of .223 62 gr hp to ad to my colection. $258 to the door. not from brownells.

You can never have enough ammo.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:46 AM
Calguns Addict

either way, will need to stock up, and then potentially if obama is reelected and the rush is back on, i'll sell some of my ammo then wait for the rush to die down again and repurchase and gain profit.
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want if it's at all related to the topic at hand!
Old 02-25-2012, 6:45 AM
Veteran Member

If Obama gets re-elected, then the scare will be way worse than before.
If you don't have what you feel to be a comfortable stockpile of primers and powder get them now. Especially if you like SPP or popular powders like 231. They disappeared in '08 and will vanish again. Not to mention the prices you'll have to pay if you can find them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...
Old 02-25-2012, 7:04 AM

If you are still waiting to stock up on ammo then you are about to be part of the problem......
Old 02-25-2012, 8:13 AM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by G60 View Post
Self promotion and marketing.
I'm still using ammo dated when I bought it in '83 and I shoot regularly

Last edited by thomashoward; 04-13-2012 at 9:39 AM..
Old 02-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock6.3 View Post
If you are still waiting to stock up on ammo then you are about to be part of the problem......
Really though. It's already starting. Just yesterday i had to go 4 different places in SD to get .45. Paid 20$ a box for federal champion .

The manufacturers are gonna milk this so maybe they'll end up with a really decent bonus at the end of the year.

Just wish i had the means to be as stocked up as i'd like to be.

There will be another run on guns and ammo this election. Bet on it.

The fear mongers are gonna take all your money!
"Then there are sheepdogs. The sheepdogs are the bastions of safety. The sheepdog lives solely to protect the flock and confront the wolf. They live for the opportunity to be called to duty to protect the innocent. The sheepdog has fangs and the propensity for violence but hopes that he will not have to resort to it. However, he lives for that day when he will be able to use his warrior skills and mindset to keep the wolf from harming the sheep."
Old 02-25-2012, 12:06 PM

I gave in and just ordered ammo in a caliber for which I own zero firearms. Not from Brownelles though.

Sorry guys.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member

first Gas now Ammo what next Food?????
Old 02-25-2012, 12:26 PM
Calguns Addict

I love buy now ammo scares like we had when Obama came to power. 6 months, 12 months, 18 months later I get great deals on the forums for "buy my ammo." I've enjoyed great deals on 45 acp, 22LR, 7.62x39, 357, 9mm, and 223 on the forums here alone. Deals I couldn't touch online, or certainly not at a gun shop.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

Yes it does read like a ad.

However...........If you shoot every month like I do, you use allot of ammo. The stuff ain't going to go bad (in our lifetime) if you store it correctly. Plus it isn't going to get any cheaper. When I see a deal, I buy as much as I can afford.

To each their own, but using today's range outing as an example, I shot 150 rds of 9mm, 100rds of 38spl and 100rds of 45acp. All factory, all new ammo. I paid $8 a box for 9mm, $10 a box for the 45acp and $6 a box for the 38spl.

Say what you want, but I plan on not running out of ammo. JMHO
Old 02-25-2012, 3:42 PM
Veteran Member

Marketing ploy....The only thing Obama's done to firearm owners is let them carry handguns in National Parks and on Amtrak trains.
Old 02-26-2012, 7:29 AM

After the largest number of FFL transactions last November and December, you could conclude that more people will be buying ammo for their new purchases.
Two of my wholesalers have very few Glocks in stock. They both are sold out of the most popular models - 17, 19,21,22,23 since the Shot Show. Panic? Who knows?
Old 02-26-2012, 9:40 PM

I work the gun shows, have done it since the 80's at Pomona. The show in Ontario, CA last week was an ammo frenzy show. MiWall Wholesale sold basically all of their bulk except the Wolf 223. They sold over 70 cans of 54R, all of the Wolf and Yugo AK ammo, all of their bulk pistol reloads, and LAX ammo did about the same. Ammo Bros. also sold a buttload of ammo, but I work right next to MiWall and they literally went home w/ empty wooden pallets. Anyone who went to the show will tell the same story.
Old 02-27-2012, 1:51 PM
Veteran Member

Except for rimfire, if you reload, you don't have a problem, now, do ya? :-)

Stock up on those components! Always good to do that anyway.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 02-27-2012, 5:24 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Sounds like this;

"You better hurry and get some stuff before it's all gone! Oh hey, it just so happens we sell that stuff! Lucky you!"
Old 02-27-2012, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
Except for rimfire, if you reload, you don't have a problem, now, do ya? :-)
Unfortunately, that's not true. Remember the Great Primer Shortage of 2009? How about the Great Primer Shortage of 1993? Stock up now and beat the rush.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.
Old 02-27-2012, 7:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Talon View Post
Unfortunately, that's not true. Remember the Great Primer Shortage of 2009? How about the Great Primer Shortage of 1993? Stock up now and beat the rush.
Primers will always be our weak link. Bullets we can cast, powder we can scrounge, but primers will always remain king when it comes to reloading. Any reloader that doesn't have at least 20k in a drawer somewhere is crazy. During the last shortage I remember getting a package 7 months after I ordered it from Wideners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanbob View Post
Get a DILLON...

Last edited by XDRoX; 02-27-2012 at 7:28 PM..
Old 03-01-2012, 1:37 AM

If it gets that bad, you can still resort to reloading primers. Worth the trouble? Probably not, but the option is there.

Ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders
NRA Member
Old 03-01-2012, 1:55 AM
Calguns Addict

I purchased a lot of bulk ammo from one website in the past, but I noticed last week that a lot of items were simply gone from the site. I emailed in and they replied:

"Supply has given way to massive demand. We can order it and it isn't being delivered."

Hoping it's a temporary thing...
Old 03-01-2012, 8:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottschoe View Post
I purchased a lot of bulk ammo from one website in the past, but I noticed last week that a lot of items were simply gone from the site. I emailed in and they replied:

"Supply has given way to massive demand. We can order it and it isn't being delivered."

The website I mentioned (not by name) where I ordered the 7.62x39 just last Friday/Saturday is already sold out of it. They were selling in 640 and 810 round quantities and I actually wrote down the number they had in stock after I ordered to keep track: 18 of the 640 and 12 of the 810. GONE.

Same happened with some 5.56 I ordered from them. Plenty in stock, week later GONE and no ETA on a refill.

I don't know if scary is the word but I wish I had more money to spend on ammo that's for sure.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exposed View Post
Im still resentful at all the idiot consumers that drove up prices on ammo, mags, and gun parts.......if you could find these things, back in 2008. Remember, when obama was going to take our guns and ammo
As am I...

I remember that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.1904 View Post
Really though. It's already starting. Just yesterday i had to go 4 different places in SD to get .45. Paid 20$ a box for federal champion .

The manufacturers are gonna milk this so maybe they'll end up with a really decent bonus at the end of the year.

Just wish i had the means to be as stocked up as i'd like to be.

There will be another run on guns and ammo this election. Bet on it.

The fear mongers are gonna take all your money!
This seems to be the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
first Gas now Ammo what next Food?????
Oh, you don't watch "dooms day preppers"...lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Waster View Post
Sounds like this;

"You better hurry and get some stuff before it's all gone! Oh hey, it just so happens we sell that stuff! Lucky you!"
That was part of my point, they are part of the issue; by sending emails like this, many will be inclinded to wipe out their credit card and go to town just because they might not be able to have it...sigh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottschoe View Post

I hope the same, I was actually trying to order a few things twp weeks ago and alot of what I usually order was out of stock as well. I place an order with PSA and it took over a week to over process and ship out some Fed .556 (brown box XM193), not sure if it related to or not.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:30 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So am I, it took months for some of my orders to fill....
Old 03-01-2012, 11:17 AM

If you look at Century Arms website you will see they only have one page of ammo left. Some are very obscure calibers too that few people buy. They used to have 4 or 5 pages of stuff. Some stuff is pretty much gone, or close to gone if you are a C and R guy. The cheap 8mm, 303, 8x56R, 7,62x45, Jap. and Ital. ammo are pretty much gone or going since no one uses it. Also where is the cheap surplus 30 carbine, and 308. It was 10 to 15c a round for a long time, and now most of that is gone too. The only cheap surplus is now the 54r at 19-22c a round, though is used to cost 10c a round in 2006. Commercial stuff will always be there for your most popular calibers, but the price of it is going the way of gas and cigarette prices, wayyyyyyyy uppp.
Old 03-01-2012, 6:15 PM

Quote:
I agree. Those idiot hoarders made it difficult for everyone. Sadly, if Obama is reelected, those same idiots are still out there.
Old 03-02-2012, 8:50 AM

They must be watching that show "Doomsday Preppers"...
Old 03-02-2012, 11:30 AM

Just some high pressure/fearmongering sales tactics. They've worked for years, and they will continue to work. It's a manufactured "shortage". If you panic the people, the people panic buy. If you say there's going to be a shortage, people react and thereby create a shortage. Stupid self-fulfilling prophecies.
Old 03-02-2012, 5:24 PM

This is true on the new commercial stuff, but not the surplus. Maybe now we will start seeing some surplus 223 or 308 again now the wars have been winding down, but the WW2 calibers are on the way out, or basically out. 54R is the caliber that keeps on giving since so many Soviet machine guns throughout the world use it. It is getting very hard to keep on feeding the Mausers, especially 7mm ones and 7,65 Argentine ones. The 303 is all but gone and now you got to buy 15 to 17.00 boxes of 20, when before 50 round bandos cost 5 to 6 dollars. Arisakas and Carcanos are also now very hard to feed, as is the Steyr m95 type rifles. Commercial common calibers right now are still pretty cheap. Just back from Glendale, CA show setup and MiWall has the Wolf WPA ammo for 189 a thousand. Let's see if this price holds up for the end of the year?