Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 04-03-2007, 1:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Airgun rated scope

I was looking at scopes for my refitting or an AR. One scope that caught my eye is a Nikko Stirling 6-24x56AG NightEater Scope. It says it is Air gun rated. The scope looks like a hefty piece of metal. It ways over 1 pound and seems more sturdy then a VX-I I owned. My question is, will this work on a real gun (223/5.56)? The guys a Turners said they are designed to actually be stronger then normal scopes because of the nature of air gun recoil (being forward and back, not just back).

It has a lot of features including a mil-dot and it is illuminated.
Old 04-03-2007, 2:16 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prc329 View Post
I was looking at scopes for my refitting or an AR. One scope that caught my eye is a Nikko Stirling 6-24x56AG NightEater Scope. It says it is Air gun rated. The scope looks like a hefty piece of metal. It ways over 1 pound and seems more sturdy then a VX-I I owned. My question is, will this work on a real gun (223/5.56)? The guys a Turners said they are designed to actually be stronger then normal scopes because of the nature of air gun recoil (being forward and back, not just back).

It has a lot of features including a mil-dot and it is illuminated.
I had seen and shot a Howa M-1500 .223 w/ this particular scope mounted on it.

I don't know how good it is to hold zero.... but the glass is really "cloudy", "blurry", "foggy" (or whatever you wanna call it).....

I'd recommend that you stick with quality glass, you can't hit what you can't see.... I'd stick with Leupold.... I think you can get a '07 model Leupold Tactical Mark 2 6-18x Mil-dot for about $600 (no ill. tho).... MUCH MUCH MUCH better glass than that "Eater" scope...
Old 04-03-2007, 2:34 PM
Calguns Addict

So it held up o.k.? The one I looked at was very clear and when the side focus was set to the correct distance it was very sharp. I had a Nikko Stirling on a Howa I had a few months ago and likes it a lot. I just was curious about the Air gun rating thing.
Old 04-03-2007, 3:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So it held up o.k.? The one I looked at was very clear and when the side focus was set to the correct distance it was very sharp. I had a Nikko Stirling on a Howa I had a few months ago and likes it a lot. I just was curious about the Air gun rating thing.
The one I used... is really "not clear" (cloudy... so it is not just out of focus).... at least "not as clear as" my Leupold, so I didn't like it. It held up o......k...... I guess, it didn't fell off the rifle.... nor having a cracked glass. I can't comment on holding zero tho, since I only have limited experience....

On Legacy sport's website.... they do state that the scopes are "air gun rated" while they are mounting them on their HOWA M1500 and selling them that way.....
Old 04-03-2007, 3:37 PM
Calguns Addict

It was relatively cheap so I'm gonna get it and spend the other money on a Larue mount. I can get the scope and the Larue mount for the price of a mark iv. It comes with a sunshade and the knobs are locking knobs. Very nice for the money. If it is crap I'll give it to my little bro for his 22 and bite the bullet and get a mark iv
Old 04-03-2007, 4:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
It was relatively cheap so I'm gonna get it and spend the other money on a Larue mount. I can get the scope and the Larue mount for the price of a mark iv. It comes with a sunshade and the knobs are locking knobs. Very nice for the money. If it is crap I'll give it to my little bro for his 22 and bite the bullet and get a mark iv
Look into the upcoming Mark 2 line.... about 1/2 price of the more expensive Mark 4 scopes...

Why not spend the $$ on better glass, and get some cheaper rings? Leupold QRW rings are pretty well-made, yet very afforable.... IMHO....
Old 04-03-2007, 6:19 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
The guys a Turners said they are designed to actually be stronger then normal scopes because of the nature of air gun recoil (being forward and back, not just back).
I don't know if this is a "lol" moment, or a "WTF"... Maybe I'll go with "WTOL?!"

Semi-automatic guns have forward "recoil." Lock the bolt back on your AR, shoulder it, then release the bolt. Every AR I've shot, I could tell when the bolt held open by feeling the lack of the forward motion of the bolt...

Whoever made that statement should have an anvil dropped on his/her head, Looney Toons style.

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member
Old 04-03-2007, 7:23 PM
Calguns Addict

My AR always felt like it came back at me. yes the bolt moves forward but when you fire it goes backwards to eject the round then forward to chamber the next round. It always felt to me like the recoil was coming backwards.