Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-05-2012, 3:04 PM
DeltaBishop DeltaBishop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The California Delta
Posts: 17
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Sights and Poor Eyesight - Solutions

I am new here and have not shot a handgun (until recently) in about 30 years. I have a need for one and am applying for a CCW. Thank said, I have a question for some of you folks regarding sights and poor eyesight.

Back when I used to shoot quite a bit (1970's and 80's) my vision was very good up close and good at a distance. Now I'm 53, had laser correction and my distance vision is extremely sharp but my up-close vision is horrible out to about 4'.

I have a dilemmna of using my reading glasses to see my sights (making the target a complete blurr) - OR - going without the glasses (making the target clear, but my sights a complete blurr). So far as I know, I cannot use lasers on a concealed-carry pistol in CA legally.

Is there anything out there that would fix this problem - either in sights or another type of vision correction? Laser Grips would solve the problem, but I can't do that if I want to conceal carry.

I would appreciate any constructive input.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-05-2012, 3:13 PM
asgalindez's Avatar
asgalindez asgalindez is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chula Vista, San Diego, California, USA, North America
Posts: 1,104
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

I was always taught to focus on the front sight, like you were trying to see every little imperfection. The front sight will be crystal clear, your rear sight and target will be somewhat blurred.

You should try this out at the range and decide if you need to do anything after seeing the results.
__________________
[CGN]LeftyTwoGuns619 on PS3
The question is not "How far?". The question is "Do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?". - Il Duce/Prisoner#6570534 from Boondock Saints
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-05-2012, 3:16 PM
InGrAM's Avatar
InGrAM InGrAM is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,700
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Ghost ring or peep dot sights work well for my Father.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-05-2012, 3:17 PM
tal3nt tal3nt is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County
Posts: 3,138
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Default

No first hand experience with them, but Truglo TFO (tritium fiber optic) sights are supposed to be excellent for those with less than average eyesight
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-05-2012, 3:19 PM
leadstorm leadstorm is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 972
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

There's no law against using lasers on carry pistols/revolvers in California.

Some issuing agencies, however, do not allow handguns with laser sights to be included on permits. It's strictly a policy of these issuing agencies.

Where do you live?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-05-2012, 3:20 PM
leadstorm leadstorm is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 972
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

Oh, and if your issuing agency does not allow laser sights, I recommend XS Big Dot sights. They're great.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-05-2012, 3:22 PM
DeltaBishop DeltaBishop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The California Delta
Posts: 17
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tal3nt View Post
No first hand experience with them, but Truglo TFO (tritium fiber optic) sights are supposed to be excellent for those with less than average eyesight
I tried a set of these on a rental at a range and - if they were bigger diameter they would have worked. I'll look for some different sizes. Thanks for the manufacturer name.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-05-2012, 3:24 PM
DeltaBishop DeltaBishop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The California Delta
Posts: 17
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadstorm View Post
There's no law against using lasers on carry pistols/revolvers in California.

Some issuing agencies, however, do not allow handguns with laser sights to be included on permits. It's strictly a policy of these issuing agencies.

Where do you live?
Contra Costa County - where I'm told it may be near impossible to get a CCW. The application states no lasers or any other modifications.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-05-2012, 3:27 PM
DeltaBishop DeltaBishop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The California Delta
Posts: 17
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asgalindez View Post
I was always taught to focus on the front sight, like you were trying to see every little imperfection. The front sight will be crystal clear, your rear sight and target will be somewhat blurred.

You should try this out at the range and decide if you need to do anything after seeing the results.
Front site is a blur without reading glasses - it's that bad. I'll keep your suggestion in mind when I find some better sights though. I appreciate the insight (pardon the pun).

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGrAM View Post
Ghost ring or peep dot sights work well for my Father.
I'll Google them or ask about them where I picked up the pistol. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-05-2012, 3:27 PM
DeltaBishop DeltaBishop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The California Delta
Posts: 17
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadstorm View Post
Oh, and if your issuing agency does not allow laser sights, I recommend XS Big Dot sights. They're great.
Googling them now. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-05-2012, 3:40 PM
psango's Avatar
psango psango is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,486
iTrader: 69 / 100%
Default

Bi-focals are great for this, You could have your optometrist order up some with the reading glasses in the lower portion and clear glass in the upper.

at 65 I'm wearing blended trifocals. I can see the front sight in the middle portion and the target in the top. I had them build me a set just for range use. My doc is a shooter my age, and knew just what I needed.
__________________
Always remember to pillage before you burn.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-05-2012, 3:44 PM
JMP's Avatar
JMP JMP is offline
Internet Warrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southern California
Posts: 17,073
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I have noticed a big difference in sights if I am shooting indoor vs. outdoor. Just saying.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-05-2012, 3:45 PM
asgalindez's Avatar
asgalindez asgalindez is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chula Vista, San Diego, California, USA, North America
Posts: 1,104
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Question: If you get your CCW, and find yourself in a situation where you may need to use your weapon, do you usually have your glasses on, or do you only wear them when needed?
__________________
[CGN]LeftyTwoGuns619 on PS3
The question is not "How far?". The question is "Do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?". - Il Duce/Prisoner#6570534 from Boondock Saints
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-05-2012, 3:49 PM
Whatisthis?'s Avatar
Whatisthis? Whatisthis? is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 1,692
iTrader: 49 / 100%
Default

If a laser is not allowed, I guess a Trijicon RMR on a G26 would probably be out as well. If they are allowed, they look fantastic but could cost quite a bit of money. I would recommend XS big dot night sights unless you have a lot of money lying around... or do something with your glasses and not actually modifying the gun (i.e someone said bi-focals)
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-05-2012, 3:50 PM
leadstorm leadstorm is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 972
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBishop View Post
Googling them now. Thanks!
I let a buddy shoot my Glock with the Big Dots - he is 61 years old, and was not wearing glasses of any sort (he needs reading glasses inside of 3'-4'). He is now ordering sets of Big Dots for all his carry guns.

They are not a precision/bullseye sight - they are an excellent combat sight.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-05-2012, 4:02 PM
DeltaBishop DeltaBishop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The California Delta
Posts: 17
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asgalindez View Post
Question: If you get your CCW, and find yourself in a situation where you may need to use your weapon, do you usually have your glasses on, or do you only wear them when needed?
THAT is a great question - and the all-important one! Really depends. If I'm working they're on about 60 percent of the time. My most anticipate need would be while working in "blighted areas" in some SF Bay Area and Central Valley cities. I go into places where "residents" are often squatting and the "police escorts" I used to get have been cut due to budget issues. Might look at the blended-bifocal solution someone just mentioned.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-05-2012, 4:03 PM
DeltaBishop DeltaBishop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The California Delta
Posts: 17
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadstorm View Post
I let a buddy shoot my Glock with the Big Dots - he is 61 years old, and was not wearing glasses of any sort (he needs reading glasses inside of 3'-4'). He is now ordering sets of Big Dots for all his carry guns.

They are not a precision/bullseye sight - they are an excellent combat sight.
I'm gonna try these I think. I noticed that sights with larger dots DID help at the range.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-05-2012, 4:05 PM
DeltaBishop DeltaBishop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The California Delta
Posts: 17
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP View Post
I have noticed a big difference in sights if I am shooting indoor vs. outdoor. Just saying.
I noticed this as well. At an indoor range with lights on the target the sights are much less visible. What I really need is to figure what would work in a normal "situation" lighting scenario. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-05-2012, 4:08 PM
VMCJ-3's Avatar
VMCJ-3 VMCJ-3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Movalistan
Posts: 432
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I just shot a IDPA match, for the first time in awhile. I was not pleased when my old eyes seemed to want to go from right eye dominant, to left eye dominant.
It was my first time out with my G34, and the GNS were just a blur. I've got a Dawson fiber optic on the front of my SSP/Production gun, I think that I will check out the Big Dots for the Glock.
__________________
Then said He unto them... "and he that hath no 1911 designed by my servant John Moses Browning, let him sell his garment and buy one."
And they said, "Lord, behold, here are two Glocks."
And He said unto them, "Meh, it's a good start."

Luke 22:36-38 (somewhat paraphrased)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-05-2012, 4:14 PM
HighLander51 HighLander51 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,144
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBishop View Post
Is there anything out there that would fix this problem - either in sights or another type of vision correction? Laser Grips would solve the problem, but I can't do that if I want to conceal carry.

I would appreciate any constructive input.

Thanks in advance!
Lasers and trick sights will not fix your problem. You need to get an intermediate correction by an eye doctor that causes you to focus on the front sight, it has to be razor sharp, not bifocals, or trifocals, just a new pair of glasses. The target and the rear sights can be blurred, that doesn't matter. The typical correction is dominant eye to front sight and weak eye to infinity.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-05-2012, 4:14 PM
DeltaBishop DeltaBishop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The California Delta
Posts: 17
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatisthis? View Post
If a laser is not allowed, I guess a Trijicon RMR on a G26 would probably be out as well. If they are allowed, they look fantastic but could cost quite a bit of money. I would recommend XS big dot night sights unless you have a lot of money lying around... or do something with your glasses and not actually modifying the gun (i.e someone said bi-focals)
I just Googled that - how cool! I want it! It's worth asking at least if it's possible...
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-05-2012, 4:19 PM
DeltaBishop DeltaBishop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The California Delta
Posts: 17
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLander51 View Post
Lasers and trick sights will not fix your problem. You need to get an intermediate correction by an eye doctor that causes you to focus on the front sight, it has to be razor sharp, not bifocals, or trifocals, just a new pair of glasses. The target and the rear sights can be blurred, that doesn't matter. The typical correction is dominant eye to front sight and weak eye to infinity.
With my glasses I can focus well on my front sight - but my target is soooooo blurred as to make it it nearly indistinguishable from its surroundings. Not a good thing in a sticky situation... Oh to have the vision I had when I was 20!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-05-2012, 4:22 PM
HighLander51 HighLander51 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,144
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBishop View Post
With my glasses I can focus well on my front sight - but my target is soooooo blurred as to make it it nearly indistinguishable from its surroundings. Not a good thing in a sticky situation... Oh to have the vision I had when I was 20!
Yea, well me too. Nothing like the ability to see .2LR holes at 100 yards, but now I can't see 9mm holes past about 12 yards, and I still do quite well in USPSA/Steel Challenge and 3 Gun.

True, an optic (dot) is an option, but you will need alot of time on the gun to get fast at acquiring targets. You won't need correction for a dot because it projects on the target in the same focal plane. I have 2 Open Glocks with dots for competition, but for carry, I prefer regular sights.

Open Dot




carry guns (2 in the middle)


Last edited by HighLander51; 09-05-2012 at 4:27 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-05-2012, 4:24 PM
tal3nt tal3nt is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orange County
Posts: 3,138
iTrader: 59 / 100%
Default

I'll mention another brand of sights that just came to mind (that I have no experience with) that may be like something you are looking for. Advantage Tactical sights, it's the one that lines up like a pyramid.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-05-2012, 4:34 PM
DeltaBishop DeltaBishop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The California Delta
Posts: 17
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

You folks have been a HUGE help to this new kid on the block. For someone that's been away from it for a while - it's almost information overload. You've given me a lot to think about and look into - and if nothing else - the right questions to ask. A very big THANKS to you all.

I'll check back in. Hope this thread helps someone else in the same boat as well.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-05-2012, 4:43 PM
asgalindez's Avatar
asgalindez asgalindez is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Chula Vista, San Diego, California, USA, North America
Posts: 1,104
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBishop View Post
With my glasses I can focus well on my front sight - but my target is soooooo blurred as to make it it nearly indistinguishable from its surroundings. Not a good thing in a sticky situation... Oh to have the vision I had when I was 20!
Is this the case at any distance? How bad is the target out to 20yds or so?

In a defensive situation as a CCW holder, I am assuming you will be engaging targets at close range. Hard to justify (in CA, at least) why you felt you needed to shoot a guy 50yds away from you.

But I'm not a CCW holder. I'm just working off assumptions here.
__________________
[CGN]LeftyTwoGuns619 on PS3
The question is not "How far?". The question is "Do you possess the constitution, the depth of faith, to go as far as is needed?". - Il Duce/Prisoner#6570534 from Boondock Saints
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-05-2012, 6:09 PM
unusedusername's Avatar
unusedusername unusedusername is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Between SJ and SF
Posts: 3,562
iTrader: 24 / 100%
Default

If they won't let you put a laser on a carry gun, then why would they let you change the sights?

It is the same thing, isn't it?

Both of these requirements are not codified in law, so perhaps you should post about it in the LTC forum and help the right people to fix it.
__________________
Quote:
"It wasn't a failure of laws," said Amanda Wilcox, who along with her husband, Nick, lobbies for the California chapter of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "I just don't see how our gun laws could have stopped something like that."
-Speaking about the Oikos mass shooting in Oakland.

Quote:
With an assault weapon you just hold the trigger back and it goes blup,blup,blup
-Michael Bloomberg confused about the difference between a machine gun and a rifle, ABC News Nightline 12/21/12
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-05-2012, 6:19 PM
DeltaBishop DeltaBishop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The California Delta
Posts: 17
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by asgalindez View Post
Is this the case at any distance? How bad is the target out to 20yds or so?

In a defensive situation as a CCW holder, I am assuming you will be engaging targets at close range. Hard to justify (in CA, at least) why you felt you needed to shoot a guy 50yds away from you.

But I'm not a CCW holder. I'm just working off assumptions here.
10 yard - 15 yards - 20 yards --- if my reading glasses are on to see my sights - it's all a blur at any of those distances. If my glasses are off all those distances are crystal clear and my sights are a blur.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-05-2012, 6:25 PM
HighLander51 HighLander51 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 5,144
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBishop View Post
10 yard - 15 yards - 20 yards --- if my reading glasses are on to see my sights - it's all a blur at any of those distances. If my glasses are off all those distances are crystal clear and my sights are a blur.
You won't hit anything unless your front sight is razor sharp.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-05-2012, 6:27 PM
Rangem4's Avatar
Rangem4 Rangem4 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 393
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default I believe you have solved my problem sir

Quote:
Originally Posted by psango View Post
Bi-focals are great for this, You could have your optometrist order up some with the reading glasses in the lower portion and clear glass in the upper.

at 65 I'm wearing blended trifocals. I can see the front sight in the middle portion and the target in the top. I had them build me a set just for range use. My doc is a shooter my age, and knew just what I needed.
What a great idea, the top lens for the long distance or target, the middle for front site front site and the lower for looking at your firearm to load or inspect etc.
Good idea!
My Eye Doctor and I are going to have a talk.
__________________
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 09-05-2012, 6:34 PM
DeltaBishop DeltaBishop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The California Delta
Posts: 17
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by unusedusername View Post
If they won't let you put a laser on a carry gun, then why would they let you change the sights?

It is the same thing, isn't it?

Both of these requirements are not codified in law, so perhaps you should post about it in the LTC forum and help the right people to fix it.
Seems the only laser that would work in a CC situation are activated by the grips - if you're needing to turn on a laser with a switch - that's not a good thing. Grips must be "standard" according to the application from the Sherriff while sights can be "fixed or adjustable." According to an instructor, lasers were illegal for CCW in CA - but he never cited a Code.

My understanding is that any site that fits the gun as designed by the manufacturer would be fine.

Maybe I am taking the instructor's statement as fact when I shouldn't be... I suppose I'm too new to know.

Whats the "LTC Forum"?
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 09-05-2012, 6:55 PM
Legasat's Avatar
Legasat Legasat is offline
Intergalactic Member
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Diego North County
Posts: 4,156
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

I wear glasses with "progressive" lenses. They are ground so that they gradually progress from near sighted to far sighted (reading at the bottom of the lens, distance at the top of the lens, no lines).

I had a special pair made just for shooting, with the lenses ground from polycarbonate (safety lens material that meets the ANSI Z87.1-2003 standard). I had them made so the focus point is for about 3 ft. I'm sure if work with your Ophthalmologist or Optometrist, you can find a workable solution.
__________________
..

.........STGC(SW)


SAF Life Member


NRA Benefactor
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 09-05-2012, 6:57 PM
Hopalong's Avatar
Hopalong Hopalong is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: CA.
Posts: 2,322
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

You need trifocals.

Yeah, I don't like it either.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 09-05-2012, 6:58 PM
becxltoo984's Avatar
becxltoo984 becxltoo984 is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 636
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

XS big dot sights are designed for quick sight acquisition at the expense of accuracy . I know this all to well after buy two set's for my Glock 19 And 23 .

What the manufacture wont tell you about these sights . once installed to adjust or remove the sights for any gunsmith work - will in fact destroy them . The sur-lok 1262 solution used' to install the sights require heat to melt the bound between the slide and the sight . That much heat kills the tritium vial . Not making this up . I contacted their support and that's the answer I received .
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 09-05-2012, 8:13 PM
leadstorm leadstorm is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 972
iTrader: 20 / 100%
Default

Quote:
XS big dot sights are designed for quick sight acquisition at the expense of accuracy
You are correct and we agree on this point. You have to ask yourself what you're after, though. The OP is looking for sights for a defensive carry gun.

I have had several pistols with "traditional" three-dot Trijicon night sights. They do not line up incredibly quickly in the dark. In the daytime, the notch-and-posts are great for precision shooting, but it takes a bit of time between shots to realign properly.

The Big Dots are very reflexive. They certianly won't chew one ragged hole, but they will (at least for me) put all the bullets within the center portion of the torso very, very rapidly and very intuitively.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 09-05-2012, 10:07 PM
psango's Avatar
psango psango is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,486
iTrader: 69 / 100%
Default sights and close combat

+1 on the big dot or fiber optic sights.

In a SD However, I would be pointing shooting without sights at distances less than 15 yards. At 15 yard the the big dot or fiber front sight would be a major help to me, at 25 yards my back is turned and I'm running away. (I moved all my armor panels to the back of my vest, just kidding).

My vision went bad in my 40's I was able to make it to retirement with my try-focal lenses. You do have to adjust tactics for your own requirements. As Harry would say "man has to know his limitations".

With my vision I often thought I would be better off shooting myself if I lost my glasses. I'm retired now so no longer caring for duty, just ccw.
__________________
Always remember to pillage before you burn.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 09-05-2012, 10:13 PM
myusername myusername is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 73
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Get a Judge. Problem solved.

Oh, yeah, I forgot, it's California... sigh.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 09-05-2012, 10:20 PM
fcr's Avatar
fcr fcr is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,006
iTrader: 6 / 100%
Default

I have the exact same issue, lost my up close after corrective surgery. I finally decided on the Trijicon HD over the XS, It seems more accurate for me. Thats just punching paper. I like the rear sight design better for my purpose too.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 09-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Vinnie's Avatar
Vinnie Vinnie is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lincoln, CA
Posts: 601
iTrader: 39 / 100%
Default Ghostring Rear sight worked for me...

This helped me in a big way:



Had a piece of 1/4" pipe cut and welded into a drilled out standard sight on my CZ-75D Compact (PCR). That, with a bright fiber front made all the difference in the world. A person's brain naturally wants to keep the red dot in the center of the circle. So, if you see your target through the ring when you pull the trigger, odds are your round landed in the right place.

Set-up provides me with fast target acquisition and good enough accuracy out to about 30 or 40 feet.

Vinnie



ps - every person who has fired this gun expressed a similar reaction.. that it was easy to keep on target

.
__________________
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/signaturepics/sigpic41766_1.gif

Last edited by Vinnie; 09-05-2012 at 11:07 PM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-06-2012, 10:56 AM
DeltaBishop DeltaBishop is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: The California Delta
Posts: 17
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
This helped me in a big way:



Had a piece of 1/4" pipe cut and welded into a drilled out standard sight on my CZ-75D Compact (PCR). That, with a bright fiber front made all the difference in the world. A person's brain naturally wants to keep the red dot in the center of the circle. So, if you see your target through the ring when you pull the trigger, odds are your round landed in the right place.

Set-up provides me with fast target acquisition and good enough accuracy out to about 30 or 40 feet.

Vinnie



ps - every person who has fired this gun expressed a similar reaction.. that it was easy to keep on target

.
Vinnie - I'm printing this out and taking it to the shop to see if they can do something like this. I've been reading more about ghost rings and it seems intuitive for fast acquisition and a decent aim in situations like mine.

I AM going to look at no-line tri-focals though - even though it kills me to admit I need them. Uhg...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 2:03 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2016, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.