Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 02-13-2012, 3:33 PM
Banned

Default Rifle/Caliber/Scope recommendation for 600-800 yards

I'm going to take a class on long range shooting later this year. Distance will be up to 800 yards. I also have access to a 600 yard range and will use that on an ongoing basis.

Just looking for recommendations as this will be new to me. Longest I've shot so far is 300 yards, whacking a steel plate with both irons and a scope using my AR, .308 AR and an M1A.

All I need to do prior to class is sight it in at 100 yards.

My budget will be $1000-$1500 for the rifle and the same for the scope. I'm a big fan of Vortex optics after recently buying my first one, so I'm liking the 4-16 PST, FFP scope but would consider others in that price range.

I MAY use it for hunting pig at some point in the future, but would probably use an M1A for that. I really don't hunt, but am considering doing a pig hunt.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-13-2012, 3:49 PM

Remington 700 5R in 308.

Used NF
Old 02-13-2012, 3:51 PM
Calguns Supreme Overlord
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloveguns View Post
Remington 700 5R in 308.

Used NF
Where the heck can you find a 5R with a Nightforce for $1000-$1500??

OP- I'm selling a rifle that will easily shoot 6-800 yards and still leaves you room for a great scope. Sorry about the plug lol but I really do.

"I don't like repeat offenders. I like dead offenders."
-Ted Nugent

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOELKY View Post
Well, glad you got the kit anyways, I'm sure I'll fondle it a little in the near future..... oh God, that's going to be in somebody's signature....:D
Quote:
put me in line, but if Peter W. Bush takes it, I need to be removed from his Signature line.......:D
Old 02-13-2012, 3:53 PM

Default Same rifle in 243 will shoot much flatter

At 800 you won't need a phone book full of ballistics charts.
Old 02-13-2012, 3:54 PM

If you were just shooting to 600 yards I would say you could get away with just a 4-16x or something similar in power but for 800+ you might want something in the 20x+ range just to actually see detail on your target and not just a dark/blurry silhouette. Schmidt & Bender and Night Force make precision scopes if that's what you're looking to do.

oh and spend a little less $ on the rifle and a little more $$ on the scope, you'll be happier

Last edited by SlickmisterN; 02-13-2012 at 3:56 PM..
Old 02-13-2012, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter W Bush View Post
Where the heck can you find a 5R with a Nightforce for $1000-$1500??

OP- I'm selling a rifle that will easily shoot 6-800 yards and still leaves you room for a great scope. Sorry about the plug lol but I really do.
You are definitly not looking hard enough!! First NF I bought was $1050! Got a killer deal from a friend but then two months later I picked another one up for $1100 on here from some random guy! This was only 2 years ago. There should be no problem getting one for 1300-1500
Old 02-13-2012, 3:56 PM

Boy oh boy

They are lots of good rifles for 1500$, I would look at Tikka sporter 24" barrel in 6.5X55SE,Savage long range is good also .Vortex are excellent scope don’t go crazy for magnification ,X10,12 is plenty for 800 to 1000 yards. Good luck
http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?sporter
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/m...11LongRange338
Old 02-13-2012, 4:01 PM

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...gonew=1#UNREAD
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...27#Post3088727
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...79#Post3089079

These are just a few. Might not be the perfect Combo but they are out there.
Old 02-13-2012, 4:01 PM
Calguns Supreme Overlord
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iloveguns View Post
You are definitly not looking hard enough!! First NF I bought was $1050! Got a killer deal from a friend but then two months later I picked another one up for $1100 on here from some random guy! This was only 2 years ago. There should be no problem getting one for 1300-1500
You're right. I thought he said up to $1500 for the scope AND rifle together.

"I don't like repeat offenders. I like dead offenders."
-Ted Nugent

Quote:
Well, glad you got the kit anyways, I'm sure I'll fondle it a little in the near future..... oh God, that's going to be in somebody's signature....:D
Quote:
put me in line, but if Peter W. Bush takes it, I need to be removed from his Signature line.......:D
Old 02-13-2012, 5:50 PM
Banned

Default Long Range

Thanks for the replies. I'm a lefty, so I'd really prefer a bolt rifle that comes in a left handed model. Not worried about re-sale. I RARELY sell guns I buy and my son is also left handed.

Any specific rifles you'd recommend in left handed?

How about caliber? I'm seeing a lot of chamberings in .308 as options.
Old 02-13-2012, 8:09 PM
Veteran Member

Howas? They have plenty of affordable .308's.

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 02-13-2012, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calplinker View Post
I'm going to take a class on long range shooting later this year. Distance will be up to 800 yards. I also have access to a 600 yard range and will use that on an ongoing basis.

My budget will be $1000-$1500 for the rifle and the same for the scope. I'm a big fan of Vortex optics after recently buying my first one, so I'm liking the 4-16 PST, FFP scope but would consider others in that price range.

I MAY use it for hunting pig at some point in the future, but would probably use an M1A for that.

Any suggestions?
+1 on used Nightforce 12-42x56 BR model

Savage action/Criterion Prefit barrel/stock based on the type of shooting you intend to do...you didn't mention whether is was to be "Tacti-cool" or Benchrest or ?

6 BR, 6 Dasher, 6XC, 6.5x47, 6.5x.284, .284 Win. - all great choices.

Build it for how you intend to shoot it 99% of the time - Use something else if necessary for your possible pig hunt.

-Rick
Old 02-14-2012, 7:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Remington 5r with a SWFA 5-20x50. That should put you around 3k when you add in a mount and rings. My friend gets dime size 5 shot groups at 100y with that setup. I would suggest sticking with 308 since it sounds like you have others that eat it and 308 is plenty accurate to 1000y.
Kevin

Last edited by Sicarius; 02-14-2012 at 7:13 AM..
Old 02-14-2012, 1:21 PM

Can the M1A be tuned/smithed for accuracy out to 800 yards? Spend a bit on that and a good chunk on your optics.

Last edited by Keith; 02-14-2012 at 1:34 PM..
Old 02-14-2012, 2:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

It will probably cost you nearly as much to accurize the M1a as it would for a whole bolt gun. The m1a is a great platform and very accurate when compared to other battle rifles. The iron sights are great but it really doesn't lend itself to a scope though it can be done. It is a wonderful rifle but it won't be as good as a bolt gun for precision shooting... at least within a reasonable ammount of money...
Kevin
Old 02-14-2012, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickmisterN View Post
If you were just shooting to 600 yards I would say you could get away with just a 4-16x or something similar in power but for 800+ you might want something in the 20x+ range just to actually see detail on your target and not just a dark/blurry silhouette. Schmidt & Bender and Night Force make precision scopes if that's what you're looking to do.

oh and spend a little less $ on the rifle and a little more $$ on the scope, you'll be happier
+1 on Nightforce. Never had one, but I have NEVER heard ANYTHING (here or at SnipersHide) bad about them. Currently saving for one (:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atakacorp View Post
Boy oh boy

They are lots of good rifles for 1500$, I would look at Tikka sporter 24" barrel in 6.5X55SE,Savage long range is good also .Vortex are excellent scope don’t go crazy for magnification ,X10,12 is plenty for 800 to 1000 yards. Good luck
http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?sporter
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/m...11LongRange338
I've seen plenty of Tikka T3's and Rem 700 SPS for less than $1000, and I'd put the extra 500 towards your glass. I'm not sure if there are left handed options for the bolt, or if there are, how much (if any) extra they would be. .308 should be a good caliber to work with. Supposedly the trajectory changes after 600 yards, (Approximately when it becomes trans-sonic) but that can be compensated for.

Best of luck!

*As an afterthought*
There are a set of videos produced by Magpul, which I have found VERY helpful. I figured I'd watch them before putting any more money into guns or down the range. Very interesting stuff, even though some of it goes over my head. It was made for people who are already somewhat experienced with long-range shooting. Still, I'd recommend for ANY level of shooter; better to learn the correct way than have to correct longtime habits.

Found here: http://store.magpul.com/product/DYN008
"I want gay married couples to be able to protect their marijuana plants with guns." -Unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allhailflintlocks View Post
Gun owners need to be the new illegals - undocumented firearm possessors if you will.
Legislator "logic":
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezrat View Post
Before long, the Feds via A.D.A. will probably require manufacturers to include Braille markings to accommodate blind shooters.....

Last edited by Exdc; 02-14-2012 at 4:15 PM..