Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 03-29-2007, 5:39 PM

Default .22LR Browning 1919's?

Does anybody make .22 caliber 1919's? I'd love to have a belt fed, but to really enjoy it I feel like it would have to be a rimfire.

Second question, the belt fed would also be limited to ten rounds, right?

So why do we see videos of guys in CA with 1919's with super long belts? Are those "pre-ban" belts? How does that work?
Old 03-29-2007, 5:45 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

They work the same as any magazine owned before the ban. However, you should not shoot them below 10 rounds. What many do is have 11 rounds liked, then an empty link, followed by the links that they will actually shoot off.

And yes, any new belts must be 10 rounds or less.
Old 03-29-2007, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkA4alb View Post
They work the same as any magazine owned before the ban. However, you should not shoot them below 10 rounds. What many do is have 10 rounds liked, then an empty link, followed by the links that they will actually shoot off.

And yes, any new belts must be 10 rounds or less.
I'm not getting the 10 rounds linked, a blank, and then a ton of rounds. Isn't that against the 10 round limit?

So to be pre-ban, the links had to have been linked before the ban? If you shot off the link, could you re-link it again?
Old 03-29-2007, 5:53 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpatriot51 View Post
I'm not getting the 10 rounds linked, a blank, and then a ton of rounds. Isn't that against the 10 round limit?
I was saying that that is how a lot of guys prevent themselves from shooting off the last 10 rounds off their preban belts. If you contructed that postban it would be illegal, yes.

Quote:
So to be pre-ban, the links had to have been linked before the ban? If you shot off the link, could you re-link it again?
Yes, they had to be linked before the ban. There may be some debate but in my opinion if you shoot off the last 10 rounds of your preban belt, reconstucting that belt would fall under the manufacture of a high capacity magazine.

Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.
Old 03-29-2007, 5:56 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxpatriot51 View Post
Does anybody make .22 caliber 1919's? I'd love to have a belt fed, but to really enjoy it I feel like it would have to be a rimfire.
During WWII, there was a company that made a conversion kit that used a barrel sleeve and a .22lr adapater that looked like a spent .30-06 casing and the .22 slid into the primer pocket. The adapters were then linked like normal ammo. Once in a while you can find a kit for sale, but 9 times out of ten they're incomplete and would cost upwards of $2k. There's a guy on 1919A4.com who's looking at making new kits. It seems like there's a bit of interest in it, so he may end up making some sets.
"The best defense against usurpatory government is an assertive citizenry." - William F Buckley Jr.
Old 03-29-2007, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkA4alb View Post
I was saying that that is how a lot of guys prevent themselves from shooting off the last 10 rounds off their preban belts. If you contructed that postban it would be illegal, yes.

Yes, they had to be linked before the ban. There may be some debate but in my opinion if you shoot off the last 10 rounds of your preban belt, reconstucting that belt would fall under the manufacture of a high capacity magazine.

Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.
Okay, I gotcha now. I thought you meant they had the first ten rounds, then a gap, then more rounds.
Old 03-29-2007, 6:26 PM

...and just to clarify further, they should probably do 11, then gap, then the 'shooting' ammo, as 11 keeps is a 'high-capacity' belt, while 10 takes it down to 'CA capacity'.
Old 03-29-2007, 6:34 PM

theres a guy over in the 1919forums guaging interest in a .22 1919 conversion kit. Might want to check out over there.

**** Insert Disclaimer here for any past, present, and future posts. Dont get butt hurt, offended, or complain about an innocent mistake, information that is not 100% accurate, or sillyness mistaken for anything other that that ****
Old 03-29-2007, 6:35 PM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by guimus View Post
...and just to clarify further, they should probably do 11, then gap, then the 'shooting' ammo, as 11 keeps is a 'high-capacity' belt, while 10 takes it down to 'CA capacity'.
You are correct, my mistake.
Old 03-29-2007, 7:27 PM

There are belts and then there are belted links. The belts can be shot up 100%, since you are not destroying the high capacity (same as an empty magazine) of the belt. On the otherhand, the belted links cannot be shot below 11 rnds as it will "destroy" the high capacity capability of it.
"The cat is out of the bag. We cannot buy back all of the series clones. We do not want to allow registration, so I think we're stuck with SB 23 being the vehicle to regulate them" ---- Dep. Attorney General A. Merrilees writes to Brady Center on May 15, 2006 @ 11:22 am
Old 03-29-2007, 7:33 PM

Yes they do make miniature .22caliber 1919's and M2HB's and the rare watercooled 1917A1 BUT......The place that makes them is currently not making them anymore and who knows if they will ever make more.
One more thing to add they are more expensive than there bigger brothers cause they are now considered collector items.If you have atleast $3500-$4500 then you will be able to find one.

In fact if you want one right now heres an add for one.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/se...gi?read=153572

Also the 1919 is probably the only one you will ever see for sale the M2HB's and the 1917's are rarely for sale....

Video of a 17HMR post sample 1919a4:
http://home.centurytel.net/lksd/17mach2.WMV

Picture of a Tippman .22 magnum M2HB at our Lytle Creek shoot with ammo cans.They also made cool sandbags for them but they are not shown....

Last edited by 1919_4_ME; 03-29-2007 at 7:40 PM..