Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 02-12-2012, 8:11 AM

Default Franklin Armory AR15s?

I saw a couple models of the Franklin Armory (Morgan Hill CA) AR15s at the local shop in SJ. They seemed well made, and it's a local company- who I'd like to support!

I can't find any threads here searching, and wanted to know people's experience with owning the Franklin ARs.

It was a couple dollars more than the DPMS gun, but since the store did not have all models it's really tough to compare.

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2012, 8:31 PM

Anybody? Nobody?
Old 02-15-2012, 7:58 AM

Interesting- seems nobody owns one.
Old 02-15-2012, 8:09 AM
CGN Contributor

Ask Ten Percent Firearms about them. They sell them and know the people at Franklin Armory.
Old 02-15-2012, 8:14 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I haven't sold as many as I would like. Their AR pistols are really economically priced, but for some reason the AR pistols don't sell well with my customers. And their rifles just sat on my wall too even though they were priced well.

Their new A4 Varmint I am looking forward to getting as it is like a $1089 varmint rifle with a really nice trigger.

However, what I am really, really excited about is their new CSW.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...&highlight=csw

I have personally met Jay the owner of Franklin and he is a stand up guy. Give them a try, I do not think you will be disappointed. He is a CA manufacturer that is really trying to be very innovative on a CA and a FA (Free America) level and his products seem well made. I hope to have some of his goods in my personal collection soon as I can give a better evaluation of his products.

Personally I would try Franklin over DPMS any day.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 02-15-2012, 10:11 AM

its a marketing thing. when i first saw their lowers I was turned off by the "california model" and other inscriptions on the side of the receiver . people can get S&w and colt or some other brand name without the reminder of what this great state has devolved to. the founding fathers were great men , but it's just not a catchy name. lets face it, some people buy just because of the names "coolness." May as well laser etch an image of Ben Franklin on the side to finish it off.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:47 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquefliteterror View Post
its a marketing thing. when i first saw their lowers I was turned off by the "california model" and other inscriptions on the side of the receiver . people can get S&w and colt or some other brand name without the reminder of what this great state has devolved to. the founding fathers were great men , but it's just not a catchy name. lets face it, some people buy just because of the names "coolness." May as well laser etch an image of Ben Franklin on the side to finish it off.
I am pretty sure they do not do as much of the California models unless on request. Most people don't need something saying CA on the side of their rifles, but some people did.

As far as the name goes, who cares. Any business name is better than Ten Percent Firearms. The question is, how do their products measure up?

So far I haven't heard any complaints.

The Calguns Foundation - Board Member. DONATE NOW! Your dollars go DIRECTLY to front-line legal activism in CA.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of The Calguns Foundation
Old 02-15-2012, 12:55 PM
(╯o)╯︵ ┻━┻
CGN Contributor

Never heard of them, what does their logo look like?
Old 02-15-2012, 1:10 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodhawke83 View Post
Never heard of them, what does their logo look like?
They don't have a logo. Just simple and to the point.

Ignore the UBBT part of this and just look at the lower.

Old 02-15-2012, 1:17 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I own one of their pistols, in the XO-26 configuration, in .223. Good gun. I've had ZERO malfunction with it after approximately 500 - 600rds. Put an Aimpoint ML3 on it. They use quality parts on the guns. Mine has Yankee Hill hand guards & flip up sights & MagPul MAID Grip.

Old 02-15-2012, 1:18 PM

How much are they? Im looking for a AR now for a grand or less, but dont want junk.If thats even possible?
Old 02-15-2012, 1:30 PM
(╯o)╯︵ ┻━┻
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpercentfirearms View Post
They don't have a logo. Just simple and to the point.

Ignore the UBBT part of this and just look at the lower.
I'd ignore that gun too if I saw it, no logo or lame logo doesn't bring my eye to it. They need to be a bit of research on selling products.
Old 02-15-2012, 6:06 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
I'd ignore that gun too if I saw it, no logo or lame logo doesn't bring my eye to it. They need to be a bit of research on selling products.
So true. If your AR15 has a bling logo and inferior parts, they sell like crazy! Or if you display the rifle on the wall with the roll mark towards the wall, no one will ever know!

For those of you who are looking for something more stylish to accessorize your closet full of AR15 safe queens, move along, there is nothing to see here. For those of you following this thread that understand that the roll mark on your lower has very little to do with the actual quality of your rifle, keep reading.

Franklin Armory is not a Model 1 Sales or DPMS level operation. They make quality rifles. I just got my V4 in and the trigger on it is superb. The finish and fit are excellent. You can read more about the actual stats here.

http://www.franklinarmory.com/PRODUCTS_V4.html

Later tonight when I get done logging in firearms and whatnot, I will post up some pictures. The model I just got in does have a Ben Franklin outline on it.

Again, if I were you guys I would give Franklin Armory a try. I think you will be happy. Unless you rely on a fancy logo to determine quality of an AR15. For those of you like that, I give you this.

Last edited by tenpercentfirearms; 02-15-2012 at 6:14 PM..
Old 02-15-2012, 6:10 PM

Their web says it says CA on the receiver so it's clear it's legal.

I spoke with the owner, nice guy. They don't cut metal themselves, but subcontract manufacturing to higher specs he explained. Then purchase top quality components and assemble/ test. He claimed the factory trigger " already has a $200 trigger job" and the one I saw at the Gun Exchange was nicer than the Colt or DPMS- as best I could tell firing it unloaded.

The 2 models he had were $1049 and $1149. Id need to look at their web site for model numbers. They were the 2 guns in the upper left of the web page I recall HSC 15 and HSC15/M4.

http://www.franklinarmory.com/PRODUCTS_RIFLES.html
Old 02-15-2012, 7:00 PM

you said it yourself they don't move. ive seen their products at several gun shops and they look decent quality. you can knock model1 or dpms or any other model name all you wan't , I don't play those games. I have never bought a complete rifle in my life. Ive been assembling kit Ar's for years and have built with colt parts , dpms, bushmaster, delton, model1 and rguns(and even two blackthorne kits- one good the other very rough - they are a terrible company -the only one that deserves knocking). frankly speaking I have not seen a difference in quality. I was just saying for the general public a marketing strategy is king. the market is saturated with Ar makers at this point. if your reputation doesnt speak for you , you have to find another way to get your product sold.
Quote:
So true. If your AR15 has a bling logo and inferior parts, they sell like crazy! Or if you display the rifle on the wall with the roll mark towards the wall, no one will ever know!

For those of you who are looking for something more stylish to accessorize your closet full of AR15 safe queens, move along, there is nothing to see here. For those of you following this thread that understand that the roll mark on your lower has very little to do with the actual quality of your rifle, keep reading.

Franklin Armory is not a Model 1 Sales or DPMS level operation. They make quality rifles. I just got my V4 in and the trigger on it is superb. The finish and fit are excellent. You can read more about the actual stats here.

http://www.franklinarmory.com/PRODUCTS_V4.html

Later tonight when I get done logging in firearms and whatnot, I will post up some pictures. The model I just got in does have a Ben Franklin outline on it.

Again, if I were you guys I would give Franklin Armory a try. I think you will be happy. Unless you rely on a fancy logo to determine quality of an AR15. For those of you like that, I give you this.

Last edited by torquefliteterror; 02-15-2012 at 7:09 PM..
Old 02-15-2012, 7:08 PM

they look like good quality guns just be careful with too good a trigger , if they used a light spring , they may not ignite cheaper imported ammo that tend to come with the hard primers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter Bill View Post
Their web says it says CA on the receiver so it's clear it's legal.

I spoke with the owner, nice guy. They don't cut metal themselves, but subcontract manufacturing to higher specs he explained. Then purchase top quality components and assemble/ test. He claimed the factory trigger " already has a $200 trigger job" and the one I saw at the Gun Exchange was nicer than the Colt or DPMS- as best I could tell firing it unloaded.

The 2 models he had were $1049 and $1149. Id need to look at their web site for model numbers. They were the 2 guns in the upper left of the web page I recall HSC 15 and HSC15/M4.

http://www.franklinarmory.com/PRODUCTS_RIFLES.html
Old 02-15-2012, 7:45 PM
(╯o)╯︵ ┻━┻
CGN Contributor

the standard DPMS lpk works fine with all the Russian ammo I've been using, wolf and tula.
Old 02-15-2012, 8:04 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter Bill View Post
Interesting- seems nobody owns one.
I have thier AR pistol.. with the forward grip.

I must say I'm very happy with it.. the parts seem high quality and it has one of the better triggers out there.
"Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Theodore Roosevelt

Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA, Guardian Front Sight
Old 02-15-2012, 8:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Sad that it's a fasion show now..
"Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Theodore Roosevelt

Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA, Guardian Front Sight
Old 02-15-2012, 9:08 PM

I have a custom AR with a Franklin lower. Very happy with it, especially the single stage trigger. A Ben Franklin logo would be cool, but I didn't buy it for looks... I bought it because I live around the corner from them! Supporting a California gun-maker just feels, well.... right, I guess.
Old 02-15-2012, 9:29 PM
(╯o)╯︵ ┻━┻
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1968LS2 View Post
Sad that it's a fasion show now..
Yup, only takes a few minutes to find out the top brands. From there I go to logo style, I like to have my AR's my personal touch.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:25 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Here is a picture of the V4.

Attached is a picture of the lower logo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1529.jpg (57.0 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1531.jpg (95.6 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by tenpercentfirearms; 02-15-2012 at 11:42 PM..
Old 02-15-2012, 11:42 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquefliteterror View Post
you can knock model1 or dpms or any other model name all you wan't , I don't play those games. I have never bought a complete rifle in my life. Ive been assembling kit Ar's for years and have built with colt parts , dpms, bushmaster, delton, model1 and rguns(and even two blackthorne kits- one good the other very rough - they are a terrible company -the only one that deserves knocking). frankly speaking I have not seen a difference in quality.
I have built hundreds of AR15s. HUNDREDS. I most certainly can tell the difference between a DPMS parts kit and a RRA parts kit. So from my experience I can definitely tell the difference when installing them and I know there is a quality difference.

The end user won't notice a difference when they are shooting it, unless some parts fail after heavy use, but let's be honest, how many of these safe queens get heavy use.

I personally would not buy any of these $700-$800 AR15s on the market. However, if you want to buy one and have at it, go for it. You get what you pay for. If you are convinced that the quality of your Model 1 Sales build is the same as a Bushmaster or Colt, that's cool.

Quote:
Yup, only takes a few minutes to find out the top brands. From there I go to logo style, I like to have my AR's my personal touch.
Not sure how to respond other than...creepy.

Last edited by tenpercentfirearms; 02-15-2012 at 11:53 PM..
Old 02-16-2012, 12:00 AM
(╯o)╯︵ ┻━┻
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I have built hundreds of AR15s. HUNDREDS. I most certainly can tell the difference between a DPMS parts kit and a RRA parts kit. So from my experience I can definitely tell the difference when installing them and I know there is a quality difference.

The end user won't notice a difference when they are shooting it, unless some parts fail after heavy use, but let's be honest, how many of these safe queens get heavy use.

I personally would not buy any of these $700-$800 AR15s on the market. However, if you want to buy one and have at it, go for it. You get what you pay for. If you are convinced that the quality of your Model 1 Sales build is the same as a Bushmaster or Colt, that's cool.

Not sure how to respond other than...creepy.
Rolf, just bad typing. I color will my lowers.

I got a zombie gun with about 1k rounds in it within just 2 months. none of my guns are safe queens, only ones i can't shoot are the broken ones.

Been having feed issues with my ar-15 in 22lr, have no idea. my 5.56 never had a problem.

With the pics up north, I'd get it with the Franklin logo. I'd prefer it naked like my other 2 ar's.
Old 02-16-2012, 6:34 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Rolf, just bad typing. I color will my lowers.
Color will???? LOL.

Quote:
Been having feed issues with my ar-15 in 22lr, have no idea. my 5.56 never had a problem.
99% likely ammo. If you come into my gun shop, you will notice an entire shelf of different subsonic .22 LR ammo. Like an extreme amount of variety. I ordered like every brick of 500 that my wholesalers had so I could try it in my wife and I's AR15-22s. Her Spike's Tactical likes RWS and my Tactical Solutions likes Aguila. Some brands it simply will not feed.

After you try several different brands and none of it works, then send it back. .22s are just ammo finicky.

Old 02-16-2012, 9:42 AM
(╯o)╯︵ ┻━┻
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Color will???? LOL.

99% likely ammo. If you come into my gun shop, you will notice an entire shelf of different subsonic .22 LR ammo. Like an extreme amount of variety. I ordered like every brick of 500 that my wholesalers had so I could try it in my wife and I's AR15-22s. Her Spike's Tactical likes RWS and my Tactical Solutions likes Aguila. Some brands it simply will not feed.

After you try several different brands and none of it works, then send it back. .22s are just ammo finicky.
Color fill.

I only tried 3 brands so far, don't remember top of my head what they are but I don't have issues with Marlin Model 60 or 795. I'll try some brands later next month, right now my budget is to restore a Garand, Springfield 1903 and G43.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:05 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Flashy Logo? Really? No really?

Old 02-16-2012, 12:15 PM
AKA: Joe Censored
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

There was an XO-26 at the Vallejo gun show last weekend, along with a few other Franklin rifles. Me and my friend really liked all of them.