Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-07-2012, 11:19 PM
Prawn Lives Matter
CGN Contributor

Default Reloading Die Question

I've been collecting reloading componets for a few years now and getting ready to start my reloading hobby very soon.
A year ago I purchased a Redding Series A 308/307 Win Die set off of ebay.
I opened it tonight to look at the die set, not remembering if it was a two or three die set. Looking at the FL sizing die I noticed that while screwing the adjusted down, the ball with the decapping pin was not spinning true and appeared lopsided. I does not look right. I'm guessing that this was not a new die as it was sold as. But there is a grease coating on the dies and they do not appear scratched in any way. If it damaged is it cost effective to get another stem for the FL sizer or should I just purchase the three die set with a neck sizer?
I can't remember who I bought it from and they would think I was woofing after I let this much time go buy before calling them on damaged goods.
--g

Anyone who wants to 'fundamentally change' the USA is not a patriot.

**WTB stock **(M1917\Enfield P-17)**
Old 02-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member

Quite often the decap/expander rod has a sloppy thread fit in the die body.. It usually centers up when the lock nut is tightened.
Then again, perhaps the rod is bent. If it is it can be easily replaced.
Or, are you saying the expander button is cross threaded on the rod?.
Still a cheap repair.
my tuppence.
Old 02-08-2012, 5:10 AM

G-Man WC ......

Some manufacturers design their expander ball to fit very loose on the decapping rod, and that's a good idea. This allows the ball to center itself on it's way back through the case. This way, the expander ball never gets rigidly forced into a non-concentric path.

An excellent upgrade for any die with a steel expander ball, is to replace that ball with a "carbide" expander ball. The carbide ball can slip through a tight case neck like a greased banana. It works well even without inside neck lube, and it won't pull against the shoulder.

Last edited by Innovative; 02-08-2012 at 5:14 AM.. Reason: spelling error
Old 02-08-2012, 6:31 PM
Prawn Lives Matter
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovative View Post
G-Man WC ......

Some manufacturers design their expander ball to fit very loose on the decapping rod, and that's a good idea. This allows the ball to center itself on it's way back through the case. This way, the expander ball never gets rigidly forced into a non-concentric path.

An excellent upgrade for any die with a steel expander ball, is to replace that ball with a "carbide" expander ball.
So would Redding be one of these manufacturers? The ball does not seem to be centered and as the top of the die is tightened down it appears lopsided.

Who sells replacment parts or upgrades for dies?

Thanks - g

Old 02-08-2012, 6:58 PM

G-Man WC ......

A picture of your die parts sure would help. However, you can usually get a carbide expander ball from the manufacturer of your die or from Sinclair. Just make sure it is made to fit your particular die.

Whenever possible, I prefer dies that don't use an expander ball. They are definitely more expensive, but I prefer to the Redding S-Type dies. You can read about them here:

http://www.larrywillis.com/Redding.html
Old 02-08-2012, 8:08 PM
Veteran Member

Remove the expander rod from the die, remove the ball from the rod. Roll rod on flat surface to see if it is bent.
A new rod should be easily obtained from redding.
I would not worry about a carbide ball at this time but if wanted can be obtained later.
Old 02-08-2012, 8:51 PM
Prawn Lives Matter
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innovative View Post
G-Man WC ......

A picture of your die parts sure would help. However, you can usually get a carbide expander ball from the manufacturer of your die or from Sinclair. Just make sure it is made to fit your particular die.

Whenever possible, I prefer dies that don't use an expander ball. They are definitely more expensive, but I prefer to the Redding S-Type dies. You can read about them here:

http://www.larrywillis.com/Redding.html
The die looks quite normal. It's only when adjusted down or rotated you can see that the ball that the decapping pin is not true. I'll post a picture in a while. Thanks. -g