Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 02-05-2012, 7:50 AM
Banned

Question Hhhhh

Hhh

Last edited by Foriegn power; 01-04-2014 at 1:48 PM..
Old 02-05-2012, 7:57 AM

all I can say is good luck, if I could have someone do the math portion for me I'd be set

all that reading and English stuff, cake
Old 02-05-2012, 8:13 AM
Calguns Addict

ARCO makes study guides for tests like the ASVAB, GRE, Air Traffic Control, etc. Check out the reference section in your bookstore.

Seems everyone makes them now:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...=asvab&x=0&y=0
Old 02-05-2012, 9:03 AM
Free at Last!
CGN Contributor

Practice as much math as you can.
Old 02-05-2012, 9:18 AM

Take as many practice tests as you can and review your answers of the questions you missed. Good luck Try to get a good night’s sleep before you test it will help.
Old 02-05-2012, 9:28 AM

I scored mid 40's on practice then scored 73 on the real one. I would get some extra math and english practice it wasn't crazy hard but I had been out of school for a few yrs so i was rusty. been in for 3 1/2 yrs now and really enjoy it. Just take your time and don't go back and change any answers unless your 300% you were wrong the first time.
Old 02-05-2012, 11:38 AM

Focus on the English, reading comprehension, and math sections. That's where the bulk of your score comes from. Do well on those and you will have a high score.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:08 PM

When in doubt charlie out.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:22 PM

I was trying to convince myself to take the ASVAB and started reviewing math here:

http://www.khanacademy.org/

might help some
Old 02-05-2012, 3:30 PM
Banned

make sure to get a GT score of 115 or better. You can do any job you want with a 115
Old 02-05-2012, 9:08 PM

Reading comprehension is an acquired skill it come from reading books. If you haven't read one lately it may delay your speed, so read a book it will help.
Next SeaBees are experiencing some dark day right now with limited to no advancement on the last to cycles (advancement twice yearly). You may escape downsizing and get right through with no problems if we are in the tail end of the down sizing.
40-50's asvab will put you in a few Seabee jobs if there is an opening.

Good luck
Old 02-05-2012, 9:21 PM
Banned

My m

Last edited by Foriegn power; 11-22-2013 at 5:47 PM..
Old 02-05-2012, 10:11 PM
Veteran Member

I prefer the "Twang" method when deciding a multiple choice answer when you are not sure.

The process is very simple and is way better than guessing.

1. Hold up your pointer and middle fingers on you right hand.

2. Smack them hard on the desk.

3. Determine which hurts more. Pointer finger is "A or B". Middle finger is "C or D".

4. Smack them again and see which one hurts more. There you will find your answer.

If you are unsure of too many questions and you can no longer feel your fingers, use the second hand on the clock. Between 12 and 3 the answer is "A". Between 3 and 6 it is "B", and so on.

Good luck and report back.

Satire: A literary composition, in verse or prose, in which human folly and vice are held up to scorn, derision, or ridicule.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:51 AM

Good luck on that speed math portion. Complete that ****. I completed it and got a 62 on the asvab and 118 gt score.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drider View Post
Time has some, ASVAB on Wednesday for me. Does anyone know how many questions the test is? I took the practice test full length version on Military.com and it's 216 questions? But above all I've been studying, took the practice at the recruiters scored mid high 40's, I now what their going to ask me on the real test since I've been prepping. But I want to ask how do I study for the word comprehension section, where they give you a sentence with a underlined word and I have to define it? Words like succinct (I would not know unless I have a dictionary)? Compared to immobile (most people know). Thanks for reading this and any suggestions will be appreciated. I'm first looking into the MA rating if not a CB rating.
Put it off for two weeks, and do practice tests for the entire two weeks. You'll do MUCH better.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:19 AM

I took it in Sac a couple months ago at MEPS.

Scored very will with a 95 AFQT and 129 GT, predicted at 75 AFQT.

Honestly, the best advice I can give, study what you dont know right before the test so it is fresh in your mind.
Obviously this is not the best way to learn something, but it works to keep it fresh in your head. That's what I did with all the geometry formulas that I hadn't looked at since I was 15.

That and use process of elimination. On math problems, if you can do the math at least somewhat correctly, knock out a couple of the obvious wrong ones, then fine tune it until you get to the right answer.

I finished most of the test fairly quickly, just take it one question at a time and give it your best shot.
Old 02-08-2012, 6:59 AM

MA's do seem to be advancing right now. I deployed over here with a bunch of MA3's and now they're all MA2's.
If you wanted to be a real cool guy though, you would be a Hospital Corpsman

But anyway just make sure you get a good nights sleep before and a healthy breakfast, and don't stress over it. Good Luck.
Old 02-08-2012, 8:19 AM

Been too long since I took it, but I remember being there pretty much all day long. It was not a fun time. The higher your overall score, the more jobs that you will qualify for. Be careful after the results come back because the recruiter will try and put you in the highest level job that he can get you in rather then what you truly want. If your score is very high, he will push you into the more advanced ratings such as electronics, fire control, etc. He may not even show you other ratings that you are qualified for because the push is for the more advanced stuff. And don't just pick a rating based on what the current advancement is like. It can change fast, and what might be advancing fast right now can come to a screeching halt the next cycle. I've seen it happen many times.

If you ever need any advice on different jobs they might offer and don't truly understand what they are talking about, send me a PM and I'll help you out. I'm counting down days until my retirement as a Chief Electronics Tech and have twenty years experience in a lot of different areas of the NAVY. I've been on ships, overseas, air station, and now work with EOD.

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
- General Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old 02-10-2012, 6:07 AM

Go to http://march2success.com and study. Stay relaxed. Don't worry about your score.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government"

-- Thomas Jefferson, 1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334
Old 02-10-2012, 6:37 AM

GT score is probably most important. Score over 110 and you are pretty much golden for any job, especially MI.
Old 02-10-2012, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider510 View Post
GT score is probably most important. Score over 110 and you are pretty much golden for any job, especially MI.
Yeah I wish my recruiter would have told me that. Instead I decided to go for the "you get to blow stuff up every day" job, combat engineer. Yeah, you dont get to blow stuff up every day.
Old 02-10-2012, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drider View Post
My main goal is MA rating, my friend who's in the Navy said if I work hard I'll move up in the ranks especially as a MA.
May have changed recently... been out a few years... but MA's sea/shore rotation was the worst of all rates. 2 years shore to 6 years sea.

Good Luck.
Old 02-13-2012, 8:05 PM

I Scored 91 on the test last year in highschool. I dont know how far out of school you are, but it deffinetly helped alot. study up on math most of all, and general science.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdtx2001 View Post
Hope this helps and remember.... If you meet a nice girl be good. If you can't be good, be safe. If you can't be safe, don't name it after me.
Old 02-14-2012, 6:56 AM

Like oters said practice Math. Work on fractions, decimals, and percentages because that is the majority of questions. changing fractions to decimal. And get a study guide from barnes and nobles. Those things works
Old 02-14-2012, 4:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Good luck. Don't sweat it too much, the ASVAB is super easy. I took it cold and had an AFQT of 95.
Old 12-07-2013, 8:52 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Get a book! I didn't went I took it over 20 years ago (did 20) but things are so much different now and it is so important. I had decent scores and good great jobs but it was interesting to meet some people that wanted to change jobs and couldn't because of their old scores. Heard from training that after a couple of years you could retake the test and get old scores thrown out but don't know process.
Old 12-07-2013, 9:08 PM

What type of job do you want? I know for a fact that the military is taking kids scoring 30...the asvab is just a formality now...