Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-04-2012, 8:26 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Berry's or Precision Delta 9mm Bulllets?

Which is better:

Berry's 124gr 9mm

--OR--

Precision Delta's 124gr 9mm

Used mainly for IDPA, USPSA, and general plinking. $2 difference in price doesn't mean much, just wondering if one has any advantages over the other???

Old 02-04-2012, 11:10 PM

For $2 difference, I'd buy a completely plated bullet. Depending on the powder, the exposed lead base can cause more smoke from combustion/lead vaporization than the completely plated bullet. Not sure if Berry's has exposed lead bases. All of the bullets I buy from Berry's are completed plated (9mm 115 FP, .38 148 HBWC, .38 158 FP and RN, .45 200 FP and .45 230 RN.)

Seiichi
Old 02-04-2012, 11:57 PM
Veteran Member

At $82 per 1k it makes no sense to buy Berry's, not when Xtreme is about $54 per 1k and precision delta is the same price. Im not a competitive shooter though so i wouldnt notice small difference in qualtiy, jacketed and plated bullets have both worked fine for me in any load under 1500 fps. Ill always choose jacketed over plated if the price is similar

― Roger Zelazny, The Great Book of Amber
Old 02-05-2012, 3:08 AM

You'll get a little more velocity with plated bullet since it's softer than jacketed for the bullet to squeeze through the barrel. Plus when shooting at steel targest like poppers it deforms quicker.
Old 02-05-2012, 5:58 AM
Veteran Member

I prefer jacketed over plated, so I buy PD or Montana Gold when I want jacketed.
Old 02-05-2012, 7:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoddridge View Post
At $82 per 1k it makes no sense to buy Berry's, not when Xtreme is about $54 per 1k and precision delta is the same price. Im not a competitive shooter though so i wouldnt notice small difference in qualtiy, jacketed and plated bullets have both worked fine for me in any load under 1500 fps. Ill always choose jacketed over plated if the price is similar
I went & checked Xtreme's pricing and the way I am seeing it, their 124gr 9mm bullets are listed at $74/1000 BEFORE shipping. Where are you seeing $54 ?

Old 02-05-2012, 8:23 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprzrul View Post
I went & checked Xtreme's pricing and the way I am seeing it, their 124gr 9mm bullets are listed at $74/1000 BEFORE shipping. Where are you seeing $54 ?

Sorry, i should have mentioned the group buy with distributor pricing going on right now. I plan on stocking up while the gettin's good

Old 02-05-2012, 8:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoddridge View Post
Sorry, i should have mentioned the group buy with distributor pricing going on right now. I plan on stocking up while the gettin's good
You tease, where's the link??? Gonna make me pull out my search skills are you...

Old 02-05-2012, 1:35 PM
Veteran Member

Please post it here. Id get some
Old 02-05-2012, 3:35 PM
Veteran Member

Sorry guys, dont know why i didnt post the link

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ighlight=group

Old 02-05-2012, 5:56 PM

Why anyone would buy plated over jacketed, I don't know.
If there really is any more "smoke" due to exposed lead at base (note: recovered cast lead bullets will show NO erosion of lead at the base, if bullets are properly sized--has anyone actually experienced this?), then I would go for JHPs over any other bullet style.
Of course, for 9mm and .38, I go JHP anyway.
Since action shooting is not an accuracy game, plated is probably good enough. Keep plated bullets to minor loads or no more than mid-range jacketed data.
Old 02-08-2012, 5:04 AM
Calguns Addict

I've used both for IPSC and the jacket bullets from Precision Delta are more accurate for my 9mm guns. The plated bullets are softer because the copper coating is thinner and limiting their use to lower velocity loads. This isn't a problem with handguns, though. What I have noticed is that some guns like Glocks and my Smith and Wesson 5906 seem to stabilize the Precision Delta jacketed bullets better than the Berry's coated bullets and give better accuracy. I know why the Glock doesn't like coated bullets, but I don't know why a 5906 with conventional rifling would do this. That's just been my experience.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

For some reason, I think PD's FMJ is cheaper than the Berry's plated!! So then ... why not FMJ?