Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 02-03-2012, 6:47 PM

Question Need help deciding Ruger SR22 or Sig Mosq.

Which would you choose and why? How reliable is the Sig and based upon how well the reviews on the SR22 have been. What would you decide and why. I read a post that a Calgunner just sent back his sig after almost 1 year past his warranty for a broken slide on the sig so props to Sig for that. But I want something that will any ammo without any issues. I also like the Walther so what would you choose and why?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2012, 7:15 PM

I would choose the ruger because it runs great with most ammo, aluminum slide, and ruger has excellent customer service and warranty.
Old 02-03-2012, 7:23 PM

From the negative things I hear about the Mosquito, I would give the Ruger a try. It just seems like when Ruger comes out with a new product, they nail it. Well except for the SR9 recall. I like the looks of the SR22 except I dislike the word "PISTOL" they stamped after SR22 on the right side. NO **** RUGER! I can see its a pistol. Its like putting the word "car" on the side of a car.....
S.A.S.S #74217
.45 Colt Enthusiast
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 02-03-2012, 7:26 PM

Yeah, all the reviews I have seen have been excellent for the Ruger. I also saw the catastrophic failure of the sig in the thread. But the again it's was replaced. I just want something to go bang with whatever I put in it. And from the reviews the SR22 does just that. How about the Walther? Does it always go bang with any ammo?
Old 02-03-2012, 7:33 PM

the walther is an extremely picky pistol when it comes to ammo. some people can run bulk packs and get a failure to feed or fire every few magazines but for the most part cci minimags are the only ammo that they will run reliably.
Old 02-03-2012, 7:36 PM

My mosquito eats almost everything I put in it. Subsonics, thunderbolts, and other stuff they supposedly don't work with.

I even bough some mini-mags when I bought the pistol thinking that was all it would work with. Even when it was brand new, it shot my cheap thunderbolts without a problem.

The only ammo I have not been able to feed was some old, unknown origin .22's my friend had. Dont know why they didnt work right but when I tried my ammo again it worked great.

Either way, I'm sure you can't go wrong. Just wanted to share my positive experience with the Mosquito.
Old 02-03-2012, 9:56 PM
Veteran Member

The Ruger, because it's not the Mosquito ...and I'm sure the SR22 will be way more reliable in the long run. The first handgun I ever shot was a Mosquito, and it seemed like a decent entry choice, until I read up on it and 90% of the feedback was negative. Has to say something. I just bought a GSG 1911, but I might have chosen the SR22 given the option. Good luck.

Need a holster?, please email us at StrappedKydex@gmail.com for any holsters, mag carriers, and more. Custom jobs welcomed!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:46 PM
Veteran Member

i think they stamped sr22 pistol as to let people realize there may be an sr22 rifle, which there is
Old 02-04-2012, 6:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8804 View Post
the walther is an extremely picky pistol when it comes to ammo. some people can run bulk packs and get a failure to feed or fire every few magazines but for the most part cci minimags are the only ammo that they will run reliably.

This maybe true, but mine has shot everything I have used, Remington, Federal, Blazer and some hollow points somebody brought last time.
Old 02-04-2012, 6:53 AM

last week i was told by turners that the ruger sr22 wasn't on the CA approved list yet.

If guns are outlawed, then an outlaw I'll be...
WHEN YOU COME FOR MINE, BRING YOURS!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

ammo donations accepted here!
Old 02-04-2012, 6:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secret.asian.man View Post
last week i was told by turners that the ruger sr22 wasn't on the CA approved list yet.
Turners told you wrong. It's been on sale and on the list for about two weeks now.
Old 02-04-2012, 6:56 AM

Quote:
FUD.
Old 02-04-2012, 7:08 AM

Had the opportunity to shoot a friend's Mosquito a few weeks back. It was pretty new, and the trigger was really sloppy. Not sure if he got a lemon or if they are all that way. I really like the ergonomic feel of them though.....
Old 02-04-2012, 7:36 AM

Default FUD

Quote:
Yeah, I think Turner's was even running a Calguns special last week or the week before.
Old 02-04-2012, 8:32 AM

Get the Ruger, we have the sig, it is very sensitive to dirt build up, and finnicky about ammo even after a ramp and chamber polish. It is fun to shoot when it isn't being fussy.
Also Ruger is giving the NRA money for every gun purchased, so support the cause.
HTH..
Old 02-04-2012, 9:58 AM

I'd say a Ruger SR22 would be a good choice. I've heard street price should be around 299$, and it supposed to shoot anything you throw into it. Just read this months Guns and Ammo magazine and they actually had the best groupings with The dreaded Remington Goledn bullets..

Another option that gets overlooked a lot in the .22 pistol would be the Browning Buckmark. Known for it's easy cleaning, compatability with the Ultimate clip loader, and great shooting you should definitely checki it out. At one of my local stores they had a kit with the camper model, urx rubber grips, three mags and a soft case for $399.00

I've read that both the walther p22 and the Mosquito are ammo sensitive but have no experience of my own.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
LOL they have had them on special to Calguns members.

Every time you post a For Sale thread without pictures, God kills a kitten.

Last edited by oldsmoboat; 02-04-2012 at 10:18 AM..
Old 02-16-2012, 8:48 PM

I have the Mosquito and so far it has been very reliable. But I have only used the CCI mini mags, as recommended and I have polished up the feed ramp, and trigger assembly to improve the trigger pull. That did help quite a bit but it is still a hard pull in double action. The only other issue is it is shooting low, even with 40 grn bullets. So I may have to change out the front sight. Even with those issues I still really like the gun.

With that said I have a hunch the SR 22 will be a better gun. I believe that so much that I am on a waiting list for the next one to arrive in my local shop here in CA which should be in a month or so. I like what I am hearing about reliability with most 22 ammo, accuracy and feel. Ill find out shortly.

Looks like, out the door it will cost me $430; $359 asking price with the rest being fees, taxes, DROS, and anything else this State can squeeze out my sorry **s.

ChrisO