Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 02-03-2012, 9:28 AM

Default Just ordered a 870P, want a longer barrel for trap, is this one gtg?

Hi All,

Just ordered my first shot gun this week. A trade-in Remington 870 Police.

I would like a 26" - 28" barrel for traps and skeet.

is this good to go?
http://grabagun.com/remington-arms-c...-28-vt-md.html

It mentions modified rem-choke, does this mean the barrel has internal threads and I can install different chokes?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Veteran Member

Default ><

That is the one to go with......has interchangeable chokes....comes with Mod installed.....you will need to buy a skeet choke (SK) or CLY for shooting skeet.

Need to add that these barrels have a mat finish.....if you want polished blue, you need to look at Wingmaster insted of Express

Last edited by Thefeeder; 02-03-2012 at 10:19 AM..
Old 02-03-2012, 10:36 AM

"Action Type Bolt"
Old 02-03-2012, 11:54 AM

Also, as an Express barrel it will not have the detent ball retainer for the mag cap on your 870P. You can have a local smith install one on the barrel ring or go to www.brownells.com and enter the words "Wave Washer" in the search block. It says for a model 1100 but they work on all Remington shotguns. You install the barrel, put a wave washer over the magaine tube and then your mag cap. A pack of 3 is $6 and they will last you for a few years.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
www.tacticalgunsling.com
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.
Old 02-03-2012, 1:38 PM

thanks for all the replies. it looks like it wasn't as simple as I thought.

The 870 won't be in my hands for at least another 2 weeks. enough time to do more reading.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2012, 1:46 PM
Dinosaur

I bought a used matt blue barrel to do the same thing with my parkerized 870P. It showed up with a hole where the detent should go.
Anyone know if I can just get a spring and ball bearing from my local hardware store that'll fit?
Old 02-03-2012, 2:03 PM

that is something you would get from Remington. The spring is part 16791 and ball is 17451 and both retail for $3.20 each. You will then need the staking tool. That can be found at Brownells as item number 080-870-205 and retails for $20.99. This is a tool you would seldom use and may never need again.

By the time you pay for the parts and shipping, the tool and shipping, it may be easier to have a local gun smith do it.
Mossberg LE Armorer
www.aiptactical.com
www.tacticalgunsling.com
If you're going to a gun fight, take a shotgun. If you can't take a shotgun, don't go.

Last edited by aippi; 02-03-2012 at 2:10 PM..
Old 02-06-2012, 5:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aippi View Post
Also, as an Express barrel it will not have the detent ball retainer for the mag cap on your 870P. You can have a local smith install one on the barrel ring or go to www.brownells.com and enter the words "Wave Washer" in the search block. It says for a model 1100 but they work on all Remington shotguns. You install the barrel, put a wave washer over the magaine tube and then your mag cap. A pack of 3 is $6 and they will last you for a few years.
ok, so I looked around and it looks like the Wingmaster barrels are about $80- $100 more, if it's in stock.

Chances are I'll pick up a semi eventually, and I'd prefer not spend too much on a barrel now.

So most likely I will be ordering an express barrel from Buds and a bag of wave washers from Brownells.

Thanks!

Last edited by jingerale; 02-06-2012 at 5:43 PM..