Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-03-2012, 7:59 AM

Default Shelf life of handloads/reloads

What is the shelf life of handloads/reloads? Could I expect the the same shelf life as factory ammo? Is there a difference in shelf life in reloads and handloads(all new components)? Oh, all stored in a cool dry place. Thanks for helping a nubbie.
Old 02-03-2012, 8:13 AM

It comes down to stability of components used and humidity. Cool dry place and they should last like factory.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:20 AM

I have reloads on hand that are over 15 years old and they are still as good as when they were first made. Store in ammo cans in dry, cool area and they will last many, many years.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:14 AM

Assume it's indefinite. Even old powders from things loaded at the beginning of the 1900's are still viable. Modern powders are supposed to be even more stable. So if you assume that your components are NOT contaminated, your reloads will outlive you.

Last edited by Munk; 02-03-2012 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: accidentally a word.
Old 02-03-2012, 6:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I am shooting ammo I loaded in the early 1970's. I also am loading with primers/powder from the 1960's. Wish I could buy powder for $3/lb and primers for less than $1/100 like then........Also gas for .20/gal.
Old 02-03-2012, 6:34 PM

Thanks for the replies gents. I have loaded a ton of hunting ammo that works extremely well in my .270Win and I know I will not use it up in a few years, thus the question.
Old 02-03-2012, 7:19 PM

I shot some 38 and 357 reloads last year that my dad reloaded in the early 70's. No issues at all--shot around 150 or so.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:39 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Keep it cool, keep it dry. No real shelf life that I know of. People shoot ammo from WWII & earlier all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:18 AM
C3 Coordinator
CGN Contributor

If you're worried, finish the loads for long term storage by applying a small amount of lacquer to the primer and bullet crimp to seal them, then store them in airtight containers (I use plastic peanut butter jars) with a silica pack to keep the moisture in check. You can buy bulk silica gel packs on Amazon.

I use nail polish to seal my SHTF loads. Pick it up at the drug store when it's on sale.

NRA Life Member

"Those who give up some of their liberty in order to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty, nor safety." B. Franklin
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) in Your Community
Calguns Community Chapters (C3) and Appleseed Event Calendar

The 2nd Amendment is not about hunting or competition shooting. It's all about your inalienable rights to life and liberty.
Old 02-05-2012, 1:03 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

just finished a pound of RL15 with a $9.99 price tag still on it...
Old 02-06-2012, 7:47 AM

One thing to consider is that jacketed bullets will galvanically weld to case necks over time. This can raise pressure and cause split necks. When I broke down loads that were 20 years old, the bullets couldn't be pulled by any of my collet or inertia pullers. Remembering the propensity of dissimilar metals (cartridge brass and gliding metal jackets have different properties) to exchange ions and weld together, I seated the bullets deeper until a loud snap was heard signalling that the weld had broken. The bullets pulled easily thereafter.

Brass is also susceptible to stress corrosion cracking as it ages if not properly stored. Some WW II surplus ammo will consistently split or separate necks when fired due to age degradation. Ammonia bore cleaners can contaminated brass resulting in the problem.

Primers will also degrade over time, loosing consistency. It is best to use fresh components.
Old 02-06-2012, 9:09 AM
Veteran Member

A buddy of mine had some .303 cartridges from sometime back around the turn of the 20th century. They found them in a barn in Oklahoma. They pulled one apart and it had cordite as the propellant...

They fired fine...

The United States Veterans Administration: Neglecting America's veterans since 1930!!!

ATTENTION VETERANS! Have you been mistreated and/or neglected by your VA Hospital staff? Send complaints to: complaint@jointcommission.org