Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:13 PM
A Garage in Canoga Park
CGN Contributor

Default Oregon Trail TrueShot / Lasercast Bullets

Has anyone loaded Oregon Trail Trueshot bullets for rifle? If so how do you find the non leading claim and your results please?
http://www.laser-cast.com/AboutTrueShot.html

Thanks -g
Old 02-03-2012, 10:49 AM

Default Oregon Trail Bullets

I loaded the Laser-Cast in the .45-70 (350 Grain). Also loaded the TrueShot bullets in the .45-70 (430 gr FP GC) and .480 Ruger (355 gr WNFP GC, Ouch!). They didn't show any unusual leading in either my Browning 1886 or Siamese Mauser .45-70 (custom lapped barrel) both cleaned up easily. The .480 Ruger Super Redhawk also didn't lead up, but there was a bit of leading in the custom built 5 shot single action. No big deal it cleaned up with a soak of Kroil and some brushing.

I did load the .45-70 350 grain with 48.0 of Varget and added Puff-Lon filler over the powder, which aided in reducing leading. This stuff works to keep powder charges in place, and lubes the barrel, it is a bit messy as the black powdered dry lube does smudge things up a bit and the pink cellulose granules cover the firing bench. Just keep the velocity down and there shouldn't be any leading problems, depending on your barrel.

If you are into cast bullet shooting also look at http://beartoothbullets.com/bulletselect/index.htm I've used these and they work well. Beartooth has a selection of oddball calibers such as the .348 and .375/.28-55 rifle cartridges. I used their .375 250 grain GC in the .375 Super Mag revolver with no problems.
Old 02-03-2012, 8:38 PM
A Garage in Canoga Park
CGN Contributor

Thanks John,
I'm wondering if the recipe or hardness of either is that much different between Oregon Trail or BearTooth?
I'm looking to work up a 200gr lead load for a 35Rem for a single shoot rifle. -g
-g
Old 02-05-2012, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man WC View Post
Thanks John,
I'm wondering if the recipe or hardness of either is that much different between Oregon Trail or BearTooth?
I'm looking to work up a 200gr lead load for a 35Rem for a single shoot rifle. -g
-g
I have no way to measure hardness of cast bullets, you could email the companies and ask, but remember that while they try to keep all batches consistent there is some variation. A Brinell Hardness Number (BHN) tester is needed to determine the hardness of each batch of bullets from the same lot number. http://redding-reloading.com/online-...ardness-tester as you can see these aren't cheap.

The amount of silver in the Oregon Trail product is miniscule and, I suspect, as much a advertising gimmick as anything else.

Cast bullets being too hard can lead to leading, especially in plain base bullets. If the alloy is too hard, so that the bullet does not "bump up" during firing, or the bullet is undersized, gasses bypassing the bullet shank can cause leading. With properly sized gas check bullets this effect is lessened. Just be sure to remove all traces of copper fouling from shooting jacketed bullets before switching to cast.

Some loads I have found for the .35 Remington are (from www.loaddata.com) are:

200 grain FN GC loaded with 18.5 grains of IMR 4227 for 1450 fps

200 grain FN GC laoded with 24.0 grains of IMR 4198 for 1590 fps

Also a starting load of 20.7 grains of AAC 5744 produces 1546 fps
a max load of 23.0 grains of AAC 5744 delivers 1757 fps

I am not responsible for errors in the publisher's data or typographical errors.

My suggestion is to purchase a subscription to Load Data or pick up a Lyman manual. Then enjoy shooting cast bullets. I remember one fellow with a .32-40 single shot that could keep up with many modern rifles, shooting little bug holes at 100 yards.
Old 02-05-2012, 8:53 AM

I know you were asking about rifle but I just loaded some laser cut from Oregon Trail
in my 460 S&W. 300gr with 16gr of titegroup. I had some leading not that bad. But I've seen the
same bullet in the 454 and it had really bad leading. Not bad for plinking but I would not push them to rifle speeds.
Old 02-06-2012, 6:29 PM
A Garage in Canoga Park
CGN Contributor

Thanks. I know people have had really good luck loading 357's for cowboy action out of lever guns with little to no leading.
Maybe I'll rethink my choice of inexpensive rifle bullets.
-g