Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-02-2012, 12:12 AM

Default Price Check: Lead ingots

*ingots were sold FTF awhile back @ $1/lb*

So im being given abunch of lead that was harvested from an indoor range and melted down and made into small ingots, does anyone know what lead is running for nowadays? Impurities were scooped out while in the liquid form so I assume its pretty close to being pure lead?
any info will be greatly appreciated.

FOR SALE-> STEEL PEPPER POPPER TARGETS

For a people who are free, and who mean to remain so, a well-organized and armed militia is their best security.
-Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by only10x; 03-13-2012 at 7:43 PM..
Old 02-02-2012, 1:30 AM

Unless they allow lead bullets in the range, which most seem to not allow, then the lead will be pretty pure and softer than commercially cast lead bullets. I have seen the prices for ingots in the $1-$1.50 range. I'm trying to get some more too. My shoulder is sore now from casting a bunch of bullets this morning from a batch of wheel weights I got some years back before they were banned. Wish I had spent more time hoarding them when they were still readily available. I originally scrounged them for casting fishing leadheads and figured the 300 lbs. or so I had would last multiple lifetimes...then I recently started to cast bullets. The 45 bullets are about 28lbs per 1000, the 38 bullets ate 23 lbs per 1000, the 9mm are close to 18 lbs per thousand. I'm running out!! I need to hit up the local indoor range and see if I can buy some range lead from them, but I'm guessing they sell them to someone already. I'de like to avoid paying much for the stuff, cause it the labor part of is not all that fun!!
Old 02-02-2012, 5:03 AM

check on cast boolets.com and on ebay you can find some deals on lead there
Old 02-02-2012, 7:08 AM

Generally a buck a pound including shipping via USPS flat rate box. That's the going rate
Old 02-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Veteran Member

buck a pound for quick sale. You can go a little higher but it might sit around for awhile doing nothing.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:54 PM
AntisocialJusticeWarrior
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Where we send crazy old people to a home, not The White House.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon View Post
Unless they allow lead bullets in the range, which most seem to not allow, then the lead will be pretty pure and softer than commercially cast lead bullets. I have seen the prices for ingots in the $1-$1.50 range. I'm trying to get some more too. My shoulder is sore now from casting a bunch of bullets this morning from a batch of wheel weights I got some years back before they were banned. Wish I had spent more time hoarding them when they were still readily available. I originally scrounged them for casting fishing leadheads and figured the 300 lbs. or so I had would last multiple lifetimes...then I recently started to cast bullets. The 45 bullets are about 28lbs per 1000, the 38 bullets ate 23 lbs per 1000, the 9mm are close to 18 lbs per thousand. I'm running out!! I need to hit up the local indoor range and see if I can buy some range lead from them, but I'm guessing they sell them to someone already. I'de like to avoid paying much for the stuff, cause it the labor part of is not all that fun!!

What? Please try again in sensible.

It’s actually kind of beautiful that in America a large group of people known for owning guns are only feared because they vote.

“You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
― Harlan Ellison
Old 02-05-2012, 4:30 AM

Anywhere from a $1 to $1.75 per pound from my local area Craigslist if they are available.
Old 02-05-2012, 10:59 AM

$1 per pound, shipped.

For example:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=130369
Old 02-05-2012, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

As others have said, about a buck a pound shipped. However I want to know who smelted it and how. Improperly smelted scrap can be money down the drain.