Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 03-25-2007, 6:19 AM
Veteran Member

Default Scope for .22lr rifle: best value

In your opinion, what is the best scope for the money to use on a .22lr rifle?
Old 03-25-2007, 7:35 AM

I got a cheap Barska a couple of years ago, only 4x but it was much brighter than the cheap BSA's or tascos.

Barska link

I know SG is crappy but the scope and 5k of blazer 22 for $125 delivered was hard to beat.[scope=$25].

One of these for mounting helps too pic

For more info, you may want to check out rimfire central.

The fixed 4x is fine as i'm able to pop golf balls at 100yards ~90% hits all day with cheap ammo. Quite a few squirrels have minor head aches [ not major stomach pains like Fjold ]

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox View Post
In your opinion, what is the best scope for the money to use on a .22lr rifle?
Old 03-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Calguns Addict

get a good ring for a cheap scope. most of the time the scope will most likely do the job, bu the dovetail mount needs more than 2 screws to be secure from walking.

I had a cheap ring on my Barska that kept moving the zero, then I got these:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/sto...&s=15259#15259

I got the 300-000-003 one and since it has tentions built in and is extremely rigid, my scope hasn't walked since, after 2000+ rounds.
Old 03-25-2007, 1:25 PM
Veteran Member

Don't waste your time on puting a POS scope on your .22 because it is a .22. Spend the money and enjoy the rifle more with quality optics. You can find quality 3x9 scopes all day long for your rifle. Look for a scope that is zeroed for 25, 50, or 75 yards as opposed to 100 if it does not have an adjustable objective as most of your shooting will be close in. Look to wal-mart for decent prices on scopes. Look at the Burris Z-ring for a .22, the Burris Signature Series, or Warne rings. All three types are very good rings for the money and not too expensive. Look for a burris, nikon, cheap luepold or the like.
Old 03-25-2007, 2:05 PM

Check out Tasco World Class. I like mine and it's been a good reliable scope for $55, used with Burris signature zee rings.

http://tasco.binoculars.com/products...ope-21740.html
Old 03-25-2007, 2:09 PM
Super Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Simmons 44Mag if you can still find one.
Old 03-25-2007, 2:50 PM

I'll second what Damon1272 says. Cheap scopes are not a good value. The best value is in the $100 to $200 range. Spending at least $100 ($150 is better) would get you a good quality scope that would last a lifetime and could be moved to different guns. Spending more gets you more but each additional dollar only gets a tiny increase in quality. Spending less gets poor optics and poor reliability. If you will be shooting at 100 yards, any quality scope will do. If less than 100 yards, you need one parallex adjusted for the intended range.
Old 03-25-2007, 3:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothergunnut View Post
I'll second what Damon1272 says. Cheap scopes are not a good value. The best value is in the $100 to $200 range. Spending at least $100 ($150 is better) would get you a good quality scope that would last a lifetime and could be moved to different guns
That's the range I was initially looking at, but I tried to leave things as open as possible by using ‘value’. I hate crappy glass, but I also can’t afford Zeiss and don’t need it to shoot 1000m with a .50BMG.
Old 03-25-2007, 3:54 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsped View Post
alot of people like the mueller apv
Yeah, I’ve heard a lot of good things about Mueller at rimfirecentral, has anyone here used them?

Another low ender that garnered praise is the Konus line, anyone use them?
Old 03-25-2007, 5:53 PM
Moderator Emeritus
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothergunnut View Post
I'll second what Damon1272 says. Cheap scopes are not a good value. The best value is in the $100 to $200 range. Spending at least $100 ($150 is better) would get you a good quality scope that would last a lifetime and could be moved to different guns. Spending more gets you more but each additional dollar only gets a tiny increase in quality. Spending less gets poor optics and poor reliability. If you will be shooting at 100 yards, any quality scope will do. If less than 100 yards, you need one parallex adjusted for the intended range.
+1 to that. I put an el-cheapo on my .22, then got a decent Burris for my K31. Man, what a difference! I'm pretty sure the Tasco on my .22 is what's holding it back accuracty-wise at this point. It's just not a really good scope. What did I expect for $30, though?

"My Safety?" *click* "There, that was my safety"
http://www.huntfishadventures.com/images/nra.gifNRA Member
Old 03-25-2007, 7:37 PM

Two great places on the internet for optics are here http://www.swfa.com/default.aspx and here http://www.opticsplanet.com/ . Optics planet also has a good forum where their sales people answer people's questions. It's like visiting their showroom and asking a sales person's advice without having to leave your house.
Old 03-25-2007, 7:54 PM
Veteran Member

I used to put $30-$50 scopes on my 10/22 and wonder why accuracy was limited. Then I finally popped for a used Leupold VX-II 3X9 for about $150. I thought it was wierd to spend more for my scope than my rifle, but haven't regretted a thing.

You can find used Leupold's on ebay all the time. Many of them in the $150 range.

Randy
Old 03-25-2007, 9:15 PM
Veteran Member

I have your answer.

Get the Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5-20x50 leftovers from Midway. $99.99 for an originally $200+ scope. Throw it on a set of Burris Zee rings. Bam. Best $125 bucks spent. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=746570

edit: I too was swayed by the folks at rimfirecentral. I have both the Simmons WTC (on my HMR) and 44mag (on my Mach II).

I do have a garbage Wal*Mart needed-it-at-the-last-minute Tasco on my 10/22. It has actually served very well. However, I would not hesitate to purchase another WTC if need be. The only drawback is the size. It's not small at all.

Last edited by scootergmc; 03-25-2007 at 9:29 PM..
Old 03-25-2007, 9:36 PM
Veteran Member

You got me there. I don't have pics like that.

How about entrail exposed rabbits??
Old 03-26-2007, 7:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradox View Post
Yeah, I’ve heard a lot of good things about Mueller at rimfirecentral, has anyone here used them?
I've got one, and have a few pics of the view through it at this link:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=47658

As you can see, it's getting dark at the full zoom. The pics don't show how much harder it was to align the camera at high zoom to get a decent picture.

Based on my limited experience and feedback from others, Mueller is mechanically better than the lower-end name brands in the same price range. Optics aren't up to Leupold, Burris, or the big name boys, but you'd pay 3x as much or more for the same features.

Mine goes to 16x, but it's pretty hard to use at that zoom, as eye relief is very tight. I rarely go above 10x with it, and it's still a good value at that.