Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-30-2012, 9:31 AM

Default Tikka T3 Sporter Review

Is the 2011 Tikka Sporter worth $1,695 USD? If you are looking for a laminated beauty that is both accurate and comfortable, then yes. However, if you are looking for great Tikka rifle, then it is definite no.

The heavy barrel Sporter arrived in the United States starting October 2011 in four different calibers (.223 Remington, .260 Remington, 6.5x55 Swede, and .308 Winchester) of either a 20 inch threaded barrel or a crowned 24”. Please refer to www.tikka.fi for more technical specs.

In terms of function, the craftsmanship of the T3 Sporter lives up to Tikka's reputation for quality. It is accurate all day long. Your eyes and shooting hand will get tired before the rifle will. The action is silk. When I chamber a round in a Tikka rifle, it reminds me of the feeling I get when I work the slide on a new Beretta 92FS: firm yet smooth. Lastly, the Sporter has great balance. When shouldered, it feels like an extension of the body. After shooting a Sporter from standing position, I get the feeling that the divine forces in the universe had originally intended humans to have another arm. Perhaps this is due the adjustable cheek rest and the butt-stock; it just feels right.

If you ever own or shot a Tikka rifle, then the experiences mentioned above is just a bland rehashing of old insights. The single most defining feature of the modern Sporter rifle is obviously its one-of-a-kind stock. While its silhouette resemble the bold curves of the Sako TRG, the combination of orange, gray, and wood aesthetics is visually beyond that of any other production rifle ever made by Tikka, Sako, or any other rifle maker. The streaks of orange are probably inspired an afternoon sunset across some grassy hills somewhere in Finnland. Meanwhile, the dark smoke of grays are from the seaside fog or the cigarettes of men coping with the global recession in some dirty bar; probably also in Finland. Whether its aesthetics is derived from poetic inspirations or some nerds with AutoCAD, the modern Sporter looks fun. And it is a lot of fun in fact.

Indeed, it is magnificent rifle overall. However, it is far from being a great Tikka rifle. What is a great Tikka rifle then? Its predecessor, the Master Sporter. Its sibling, the T3 Hunter. Even though Tikka rifles tend to have plastic components, such as the magazine and the trigger guard, one can still be overwhelmed by the happiness of its great value. For instance, the purchase of a new Tikka Hunter will include all the bells and whistles: scope mount/rings, bipod/sling adapter, gun lock, a decent user manual, and even a ugly orange sticker. This is on top of a quality rifle. My T3 Hunter in 300 WSM continues to shoot sub-MOA, and the oem rings still hold up flawlessly despite the 500+ rounds fired and minor dents and scratches. In other words, a Tikka rifle is great because of its pound-for-pound value.

Cons. Instead of coming with goods, for $1,695 USD, the 2011 Tikka T3 Sporter comes with a sense of absence: no rings, no bipod adapter, and no lock. Moreover, Tikka includes the same user manual that comes with the Hunter model, making it utterly useless rubbish. If anything, the Sporter should at least come with an optic rail like the T3 Varmint or Tactical model. The worst part of it all, Tikka does not even include the necessary long bolts/screws for the butt-stock spacers. So out of the box, what you do get are spacers that cannot be installed, and a new annoying bolt knob that is made of plastic. Lastly and most importantly, the Sporter lacks the ability of offering that sense of complete satisfaction. At first, you may be in awe the Sporter's coolness, but overtime, you will eventually see that it is not really a Tikka. Rather, it is more a watered down Sako. While even though it modestly priced, the modern Sporter falls way short of being “the poor man's TRG,” which is the legacy established by its predecessor.

Back in 2001 when the Tikka Master Sporter was available for retail, it was priced under a $1000 USD, and there are also reports of it being sold for under $800 USD. Imagine buying a new Master Sporter for less than $800 during era when gasoline was $1.78 per gal. A poor college student could fill the fuel tank of a second hand Toyota Corolla for $20 USD and get an education at a community college for $11 a unit. Now in the age of a global recession, it takes $40 to fill same tank, and a college education is at least $36 a unit. So, $1695 for a rifle with cut-corners is not really “the poor man's TRG,” especially when one compensates for inflation. Perhaps the folks at Tikka misinterpreted the commoner's praises of the Master Sporter for criticism. So what we have in 2011Sporter is more a TRG of the middle-class, or whatever class those people who can afford cloths for their pets belong to. If you are someone who has to save up for this rifle, then you are better off waiting for a Sako TRG or going with a rifle made by Savage. Otherwise, you won't get your money's worth... but you will still get a rifle that is accurate, reliable, and sexy.

Last edited by mnguyen84; 02-02-2012 at 6:00 PM..
Old 01-30-2012, 5:16 PM

Beautiful gun, Excellent review. Do you know when US distributors will get the new 2012 fluted stainless hunter models?
Old 01-30-2012, 5:39 PM
Veteran Member

It is a Sako product. The options are expensive. Ever own a Sako TRG? No? Then the lack of any extras and the price of said extras will probably floor you....$400 for the bi-pod...$180.00 for a spare mag...$300-400 for factory rings/scope mount...etc.,etc.

This is just the price you pay for these rifles. It never held me back when I bought the TRG-22.

Great review! And neat rifle. I currently own two Tikka's and love em! Every Tikka I have owned, shot, or have witnessed others Tikka's have all been VERY good shooters. Have fun with it.

Take care,Stan

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
It makes it bigger and longer.
Old 01-30-2012, 6:16 PM

PM me if you still need Tikka’s rings and lock, I have some laying around, never used Tikka’s rings, Harris European stile adapter 9$ amazon and if this the only cons , I say its a great rifle and its the only tikka in 6.5x55se in US you can find this days
My golden Tikka highly recommended
complete satisfaction

muzzlebrake on the way

please dont compare sporter with hunter apples and oranges

Last edited by atakacorp; 01-30-2012 at 6:50 PM..
Old 01-30-2012, 6:16 PM

bump
Old 01-30-2012, 7:18 PM
Veteran Member

The new Tikka's no matter how nice are a Berretta product and not Sako. As for the Master Sporters I have two and absolutely love them. Bought one new for $750 and the other for $600. The new Tikka's look great but I don't think they stack up against the older models as well.
Old 01-30-2012, 7:30 PM

I went with the DNZ mount/ring setup, which is great.
Old 01-30-2012, 8:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnguyen84 View Post
I went with the DNZ mount/ring setup, which is great.
great setup ,i have them on my Savage FCP-K 300 win,excellent product
Old 01-30-2012, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by damon1272 View Post
The new Tikka's no matter how nice are a Berretta product and not Sako. As for the Master Sporters I have two and absolutely love them. Bought one new for $750 and the other for $600. The new Tikka's look great but I don't think they stack up against the older models as well.
and why is that ,have you try Sporter?
Old 01-30-2012, 9:29 PM

Well written review and I tend to agree on all accounts. I still want one though.

Quote:
The new Tikka's no matter how nice are a Berretta product and not Sako....
Baretta is the importer of the Tikka brand and not the manufacture. Please, do not spread misinformation in a venue where enough exists already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.tikka.fi/faq.php
Where Tikka rifles are made? Is it a factory?
Tikka rifles are designed and made at Sako Ltd´s rifle factory in Riihimäki, Finland. Before 1988 Tikka rifles were manufactured in Tikkakoski rifle factory in the Central Finland.
Quote:
...The new Tikka's look great but I don't think they stack up against the older models as well.
They are still SAKO barrels and share the same firing mechanism as the 595/695. New Tikkas are essentailly the same as the 595/695; however, they did take some "cost effective" shortcuts like more plastic and one size of action. Other than that, I do not see how they would not stack up against their older models. For the record, I only own a 595, but I have shot many older and new Tikkas. I am pressed to see much of a difference myself.

For the Learned Rifleman

Last edited by RugerNo1; 01-30-2012 at 9:56 PM..
Old 04-03-2013, 8:32 PM

Reviving an old thread:
I recently purchased a left-handed .308 Sporter and love it. I debated between the 20" and 24" barrel and chose the longer. Not sure that was the right choice and still am considering cutting it down and threading it (my 24" is not threaded) for a brake.
Not owning another Tikka, I'm at a fork in the road in considering purchasing another one.
I want a bolt rifle in .223 1:8. I am tempted to purchase another Sporter (20" threaded barrel I guess). But is the weight of the Sporter an unnecessary tradeoff? Would a Lite or the wooden stock Hunter be wiser? It would seem that these two would give me the option of using a different bottom metal with a ten-round AI magazine.
Thoughts? Comments?
B
Old 04-03-2013, 10:09 PM

congrats on the great rifle. I have ,Sporter in 6.5X55SE 24",Varmint in .308 .
If you need hunting rifle i would go with Tikka light or hunter .I feel your pain
but i would not cut the barrel on her, just get another Tikka Sporter with 20" threaded barrel and .223 ,nah 6.5X55 is the all around round ,recoil less then .308 and the punch is almost as 300 winmag . I got 500lb black bear at 177 yard with one shot of 6.5
Old 04-04-2013, 9:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B!ngo View Post
Reviving an old thread:
I recently purchased a left-handed .308 Sporter and love it. I debated between the 20" and 24" barrel and chose the longer. Not sure that was the right choice and still am considering cutting it down and threading it (my 24" is not threaded) for a brake.
Not owning another Tikka, I'm at a fork in the road in considering purchasing another one.
I want a bolt rifle in .223 1:8. I am tempted to purchase another Sporter (20" threaded barrel I guess). But is the weight of the Sporter an unnecessary tradeoff? Would a Lite or the wooden stock Hunter be wiser? It would seem that these two would give me the option of using a different bottom metal with a ten-round AI magazine.
Thoughts? Comments?
B
where'd you get it, ive been waiting for left handed ones to become availible

Solidworks drafting
Old 04-04-2013, 4:41 PM

Call Jason at EuroOptic:Jason
EuroOptic Ltd
439 Crawford Alley
Montoursville, PA 17754
www.eurooptic.com
+1 570 220 3159
Fax 570 368 3923

Tell him Rich says 'hello'. Excellent guy. BTW, I had to wait 9 months after I ordered but they should still have some in stock. I'm still considering buying the .223 1:8 20" LH so don't buy that one

B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemff View Post
where'd you get it, ive been waiting for left handed ones to become availible
Old 04-05-2013, 9:53 AM

Great review.

Hey atakacorp, that's pretty sweet you bagged a hog that was smoking a stogie- meat and a free smoke in one shot! Lucky!