Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 01-28-2012, 12:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Default need a cheap .22lr for wife

Wife didn't like my Pheonix Arms HP22 since she's left handed (weirdo) but she does want a .22lr pistol. Problem is, money is a little tight. I decided to start saving a little cash on the side in hopes of getting her something so she'll take a more active role in shooting with me, but I need some advice about what's out there.

Here's what I'm thinking so far (and yes, Used is on the list for everything!):

-Advantage Arms .22lr conversion for my G23 (i want one anyways )
-Ruger Mark II or III (not sure if she'd really like it though cuz it's not "cute" )
-Walther P22 (If the pink frame was CA legal, it'd be the front runner)
-Heritage Arms .22lr/.22mag revolver (but she's really not a fan of revolvers...)

I can't really think of any other .22lr pistols that would fit the bill. I just want something that's reliable, easy to use, and cheap (which might only be in the used department, i know). I would be using it as much, if not more than her, so i think that might be affecting my decision. Can you guys and gals help me get a solid plan together? If i keep hmmm-ing and haaa-ing over it, i wont get one. I need a plan so i can stick to it and make it happen.

Thanks!!

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 01-28-2012, 1:12 PM

Ruger has a new 22 the design of which was apparently copied from the P22. You might want to look at that. Cuteness factor near the P22, and maybe better built.

As for the pink P22, I believe it is CA-available. Saw one at a LGS once. Could have been a consignment, though.
Old 01-28-2012, 1:54 PM

My wife has a Ruger MkIII 22/45 she likes.

Advantages are:
they are well-built
Lots of accessories for modification
Changeable grip models may enhance the "cute" factor with a variety of colors available.

Disadvantages:
My wife and I are both left-handed and I don't find it the most user-friendly for lefties (in particular, the bolt release is a button on the left side that I don't find easy to manipulate since you have to pull the bolt back simultaneously)
Replaceable grip models are more expensive, and I don't know which are rostered for Cal.

Other options would include the Sig Mosquito. Although there are debates about whether or not the pink frame model is on the Cal roster, I have seen them for sale at a local range in So Cal, so you may be able to find one in your area.

If you are willing to go PPT used, you might find a Beretta Neos (no longer rostered). Some find them cute, others think they're strange.

Good luck finding the pistol you both like.
Old 01-28-2012, 3:01 PM
Calguns Addict

My brother has a Sig Mosquito and I'm not a fan. The P22 being ambidextrous makes alot of sense for us since she's a weird lefty and I correctly use the RIGHT hand. I didn't know the Rugers weren't very left hand friendly, that changes things. I would definitely want her to try one first.

If i get her a Neos, she'll ask why i bought her a weird space laser, and i'll say, i have no idea......but i guess i can look into them...

I think she might like any P22 i get her as long as it's reliable with cheap ammo, but i know the pink one would be her favorite.

Most civilization is based on cowardice. It's so easy to civilize by teaching cowardice. You water down the standards which would lead to bravery. You restrain the will. You regulate the appetites. You fence in the horizons. You make a law for every movement. You deny the existence of chaos. You teach even the children to breathe slowly. You tame.
People Should Not Be Afraid Of Their Governments, Governments Should Be Afraid Of Their People

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited by IrishPirate; 01-28-2012 at 3:05 PM..
Old 01-28-2012, 3:01 PM

The Ruger SR22 is now on the Cali roster, haven't seen one in person but most reviews are positive.
Old 01-28-2012, 3:57 PM

Thought from your title you wanted to trade.

I say Ruger Mark II....if you can find one in ca.
Old 01-28-2012, 6:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPirate View Post
My brother has a Sig Mosquito and I'm not a fan. The P22 being ambidextrous makes alot of sense for us since she's a weird lefty and I correctly use the RIGHT hand. I didn't know the Rugers weren't very left hand friendly, that changes things. I would definitely want her to try one first.

If i get her a Neos, she'll ask why i bought her a weird space laser, and i'll say, i have no idea......but i guess i can look into them...

I think she might like any P22 i get her as long as it's reliable with cheap ammo, but i know the pink one would be her favorite.
Rugers are probably pretty common as range rentals. If you can rent one in your area, give it a try. Your wife certainly could find it more left friendly than I have.
Old 01-28-2012, 6:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Get her a Ruger, Browning or High Standard. If you want to invest a little more find a WColt Woodsman or a S&W 41. Except for the 45/22, I would recommend staying away from anything with a plastic frame. They just don't hold up as well as the above mentioned guns.

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Old 01-28-2012, 7:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Browning Buck Mark. Later you can swap in a fancy barrel.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association
Old 01-28-2012, 7:57 PM

Tough call, the lefty thing may be an issue for her, but she may learn to adjust her shooting style.
Seems there may be no options right off the bat. What about finding a gun she shoots well and "adding some color" or features she likes down the road?

I recently picked up a 22/45 that my wife loves. I however have only been able to shoot one mag through it so far!
Old 01-28-2012, 8:08 PM

ruger sr22 just ordered it and got it at the FFL for 308 shipped!!

Old 01-28-2012, 11:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Ruger Single-Six?

Great gun that has been around since the 50's.

If You Heard The Shot, You Weren't The Target
Old 01-29-2012, 6:58 AM

Since its for her, and the idea is to get her more involved in a sport you love, take her shopping. A rental range is an exelint idea. Picking out a gun for your wife is like asking Her too pick out your next truck. and what does she think you will want and need. DR
Old 01-29-2012, 11:09 AM
Calguns Addict

good ideas, thanks guys. She doesn't have much time to get out to ranges but i'll try to look around for ones with .22's to rent so she can try them out. I haven't seen the SR22 before, i'll look into that. Also, i forgot about the Buckmark so that opens up another option.

I agree that shopping for a gun for her isn't as ideal as her looking for one herself, but she's not into shooting enough to go hang out in gun shops yet. She says she wants a .22 but she also says we can't spend any money right now (hence me saving up a secret stash) and if she sees the price tags, she'll say she doesn't want one.

I could maybe try to get her a black frame and get it colored pink later, but i'd rather only have to spend the money one time for the gun she'd like. Right now though, i'm really just trying to find a reliable gun at a decent price, and have it be one she'd really enjoy (and i would too!)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 01-29-2012, 4:09 PM

Hi Standard...

The Sport King and Field King are quality pistols for not a lot of money. I bought a Field King last year for $325. The two HS that I have were made in the 50's but they have weathered the years well. Both work flawlessly and are accurate. They have good ergos and are very easy to shoot well. I have given first time instruction to several ladies. They all liked the pistol and shot very well for the first time. One button (or lever) take down.

P.S. Use only standard velocity ammo in the HS.

Last edited by Furncliff; 01-29-2012 at 4:12 PM..
Old 01-29-2012, 7:17 PM

Default Ruger

I saw a Ruger at River City Guns a couple days ago. Not sure if MK II or III. Price was $299 and looked clean. If I recall correctly, it was the bull barrel. Not sure if 22/45 version.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:21 AM
Banned

Im in the same boat as you wife/money. You said your budget is tight, Most people are recommending you expensive guns (for .22) The sr-22 is a nice gun, But I don't think it is worth what the price tag indicates. Check out these .22's from ruger and S&W they are affordable and reliable. I'd go with the ruger but you may have a different opinion. Goodluck with your choice and hope you can get your wife more involved in shooting. Ill post some links below check them out.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...S%26W+Pistols/

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/i...mfire+Pistols/
Old 01-31-2012, 11:42 AM

I vote for the G23 conversion.
Old 02-02-2012, 6:34 AM

If the bolt release is a deal breaker on the Ruger mk series, look at the auto bolt release mods. I'm quite partial to the mkiii 22/45's myself.

Old 02-02-2012, 2:36 PM

I, too, would recommend the the Ruger Mark and Browning Buckmark 22lr pistols. If not, then the AA Glock 22lr conversion is a good idea.
Old 02-02-2012, 4:03 PM
Calguns Addict

The G23 conversion would be a hard thing to sell as something i got "just for her".....it's something she'd appreciate, but it wouldn't be hers since it would be for my gun, and i guarantee i'd use it 100x more than she would!! I want to get her something so she can say "that's my gun", which will hopefully lead her to want MORE guns....

The conversion is just something i know is in my price range, and something i can fall back on if all else fails.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 02-04-2012, 12:23 PM

I know only a few come in pink (your OP mentioned that was a + for her) and budget is a big consideration. What about coloring the roll marks pink on whatever good .22 you could find in your budget? Maybe that would sell her on it?? Just a thought. At least it could be a more budget-friendly option.

It's good that you're trying to get something she will like. Looks are important to girls. If she doesn't like the way it looks, she probably won't be as interested in shooting it.

I Love my Browning Buckmark, and I think it looks good.

Good luck with your search!
Old 02-04-2012, 12:26 PM

My wife shot my 10/22 for the first times last weekend. She now refers to it as hers.

Every time you post a For Sale thread without pictures, God kills a kitten.
Old 02-04-2012, 12:30 PM

I just bought a heritage rough rider 22lr/22wmr combo for $75
Old 02-04-2012, 2:59 PM

My favorite handgun is my Browning Buck Mark, mostly because of the great ergonomics. It's not ambidextrous, so that may be an issue.

With that said, you can't go wrong with a Ruger, and the new SR22 has ambidextrous controls.

Old 02-05-2012, 7:54 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10101100 View Post
I just bought a heritage rough rider 22lr/22wmr combo for $75
wow, where????

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Old 02-06-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishPirate View Post
good ideas, thanks guys. She doesn't have much time to get out to ranges but i'll try to look around for ones with .22's to rent so she can try them out. I haven't seen the SR22 before, i'll look into that. Also, i forgot about the Buckmark so that opens up another option.

I agree that shopping for a gun for her isn't as ideal as her looking for one herself, but she's not into shooting enough to go hang out in gun shops yet. She says she wants a .22 but she also says we can't spend any money right now (hence me saving up a secret stash) and if she sees the price tags, she'll say she doesn't want one.

I could maybe try to get her a black frame and get it colored pink later, but i'd rather only have to spend the money one time for the gun she'd like. Right now though, i'm really just trying to find a reliable gun at a decent price, and have it be one she'd really enjoy (and i would too!)
My wife is left handed when she shot my Mdl 41 I lost it when she shot my gsg 1911 I lost it left handed women have good tast. Don
Old 02-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsmoboat View Post
My wife shot my 10/22 for the first times last weekend. She now refers to it as hers.
LOL!

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 02-06-2012, 10:14 AM

Is she left handed Don