Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 01-27-2012, 7:19 PM

Default Colt 1911 MKIV series 80 price?

I found a colt 1911 mkiv series 80 used in near perfect condition the blue is in great condition seller is asking 800 does this sound like a good deal?
Old 01-27-2012, 7:39 PM

Not bad.
iF it'S nOt an aCt of goD, iT's a ConSpirAcy. If it can be measured, it can be optimized.
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." Chris Hitchens
Old 01-27-2012, 8:45 PM

I thought so but I've read there were some problems with a few of them, I haven't done alot research I already a s&w 1911 that I love but I've always wanted a colt
Old 01-27-2012, 8:53 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Sounds about right.
Old 01-27-2012, 8:54 PM

I would jump on it
Old 01-27-2012, 8:55 PM

What kinds of problems?
iF it'S nOt an aCt of goD, iT's a ConSpirAcy. If it can be measured, it can be optimized.
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." Chris Hitchens
Old 01-27-2012, 9:18 PM

I guess some people had a front sight post pop off and some other small problems I'd have re-read it
Old 01-27-2012, 9:31 PM

What year/era? ORM or NRM?
Old 01-27-2012, 9:54 PM

I'm not sure of the year/era, what is orm/nrm?
Old 01-27-2012, 10:08 PM

Not too impressed by Colt's 1911 -- series 70 or 80. Finish is so-so, accuracy is so-so, trigger pull is usually sub-par.

I'll take a Baer, Wilson or Kimber over a Colt any day, even their Gold Cups.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:22 PM

Lol find me a Wilson, Baer, or a kimber for 800 bucks and you got a deal
Old 01-27-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysak View Post
Lol find me a Wilson, Baer, or a kimber for 800 bucks and you got a deal
Probably not a Wilson or Baer. But you can get a NEW Kimber Custom Target, Custom Stainless or CDP $850~1100. That's a new gun. I am pretty sure that a used examples, even in very good condition, will sell for less and probably get below the $800 mark.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:52 PM

I dont know I see a used kimber vs a used colt and the colt holding a better resale value
Old 01-27-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
I dont know I see a used kimber vs a used colt and the colt holding a better resale value
That may be. And, a lot of it may have something to do with the natural association people make between the 1911 and Colt. Or the 45 ACP cartridge and Colt -- it is afterall Automatic Colt Pistol.

However, IMHO, Kimbers are better finished, better built and have better triggers. In general, they also shoot tighter groups and are less likely to have feed issues. If they have a lower resale value... well... all the better! You can pick a used up on the cheap.

The first 1911 I had was a Kimber Gold Match. I don't have it anymore, but it was a very decent gun. A Baer is nicer though -- a lot tighter and more accurate. Although, in certain areas (like the insides of the slide) a Kimber can actually have a finer finish!

Last edited by dwightlooi; 01-27-2012 at 11:14 PM..
Old 01-28-2012, 6:23 AM

Spare yourself, Avoid that rattle can POS. Spend a little more a get a much more refined and modern 1911.
Old 01-28-2012, 7:36 AM

The S80 has minimal collector value and is a sub par 1911. Get a RIA tactial it will shoot just as good if not better and be much more reliable.
Old 01-28-2012, 7:40 AM

Colt has had issues just like Kimbers, SAs, SWs and many others. If you like a Colt get one. My MK4 80 works fine. It'll be a while before series 80s become collectibles.
Old 01-28-2012, 7:48 AM

All guns will have problems when manufacturing thousands upon thousands. But if your past the warrantee period on a colt, your SOL. SA and SW will take care of you. Kimber will also at times.
Old 01-28-2012, 8:47 AM
Veteran Member

Nothing wrong with Colt. Just understand what you are getting compared to the other options in your price range and make a choice.

Colt S80 - You'll have a Colt, but its a baseline 1911 without all of the bells and whistles that current 1911's come with. Has the Colt name and resale value will be higher, BUT at your price point it won't make much of a difference.

Kimber/Springfield - Comes with bells and whistles for roughly the same amount of money but doesn't have the Colt name and thus resale value is not has high, BUT again, at your price point it won't make much of a difference.

As for collect-ability, if you plan on shooting it a lot, who cares.

FYI: If you plan on modifying your Colt S80, keep in mind that it comes with a firing pin safety and some custom shops don't like it when doing trigger jobs and may choose not to modify it. However, you can have it removed and because there are so many 1911 custom gunsmiths you will be able to find someone to modify it, it just may require an extra phone call or two. You can get a S70 1911 through the SSE process but that will add to the costs and obviously you are looking at a specific 1911 being sold used but just for future knowledge.

-Rich

Last edited by RRichie09; 01-28-2012 at 8:51 AM..
Old 01-28-2012, 10:33 AM

I found a used s70 for 1100 bucks I own a s&w 1911 dk and it has pleanty of bells and whistles so 1100 for s70 seemed a little steep for a pistol that was in worst condition. Explain the sse process?
I think the topic went in a different direction though I was wondering if it sounded like a good deal. I dont mind hearing people's opinion/knowledge though and if someone knows of a better deal than I'm all ears
Old 01-28-2012, 11:14 AM
Hold my beer & watch this
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullspeed1 View Post
Spare yourself, Avoid that rattle can POS. Spend a little more a get a much more refined and modern 1911.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I found a used s70 for 1100 bucks I own a s&w 1911 dk and it has pleanty of bells and whistles so 1100 for s70 seemed a little steep for a pistol that was in worst condition. Explain the sse process?
I think the topic went in a different direction though I was wondering if it sounded like a good deal. I dont mind hearing people's opinion/knowledge though and if someone knows of a better deal than I'm all ears
SSE is pretty simple and it completely bypasses the California "SAFE GUN" list.
  • Find the pistol you want.
  • Have it sent to a FFL willing to do a SSE transfer
  • Dealer replaces the barrel with something longer than 6.5 inches
  • Dealer blocks the magazine such that only one shot can be loaded
  • You DROS the (by now) single shot pistol with a barrel > 6" and overall length greater than 10.5"
  • Wait out the waiting period, pick up your single shot pistol
  • Immediately give the pistol -- which you now legally received and own -- back to the dealer to have the barrel and magazine reverted to original config
  • Happily bring home the perfectly legal Off Roster handgun

It'll cost you an additional $50~150 for the hassles. This may be built into the price if you are buying an off roster gun from the dealer. But if you are importing one from out of state, most dealers will charge you a fee for the conversion and reversion.

SSE is perfectly legal. It complies with Californian laws to the letter. It is CA law that says that a single shot pistol is exempt. There is nothing in CA law which says that you cannot convert multi-shot pistols to single shot or vice versa at any time for any reason. The only requirement being that California dealers cannot legally transfer an off-roster handgun that is not single shot at the time of the transfer.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:38 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gono View Post
All guns will have problems when manufacturing thousands upon thousands. But if your past the warrantee period on a colt, your SOL. SA and SW will take care of you. Kimber will also at times.
FUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightlooi View Post
Not too impressed by Colt's 1911 -- series 70 or 80. Finish is so-so, accuracy is so-so, trigger pull is usually sub-par.

I'll take a Baer, Wilson or over a Colt any day, even their Gold Cups.
Do tell where you find these Baer's and Wilsons for $800
Old 01-28-2012, 12:12 PM

I found a brand new colt that has the 100 yr anniversary on it for 880 locally does anyone know any differences in quality?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer77 View Post
FUD

Do tell where you find these Baer's and Wilsons for $800

You obviously don't have many colts. Coming from someone that does, anything prior to the early 90's is not serviced without considerable payment. Most times they don't even have the parts, they request to buy the parts and send with the gun. Thats ****in ridiculous.
Old 01-28-2012, 12:26 PM
CGN Contributor

I own 3 actually, and one of them had a few small rust spots on the slide(last time I buy a gun online without seeing it first). I called up Colt and asked them about their warranty and I was told that the warranty is one year for cosmetic and lifetime for everything else. They sent me a shipping tag and it was refinished for free. I also told them that the trigger was a little heavy compared to my other two colts which have amazing trigger pulls and they cleaned it up at no charge. Be careful about assuming things, you know how the old saying goes.....
Old 01-28-2012, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I found a brand new colt that has the 100 yr anniversary on it for 880 locally does anyone know any differences in quality?
Its the exact same gun. Colt just put the 100 yr anniversary roll mark on all 1911's made in 2011. No differences in quality or parts used; just an extra roll mark.

Some people like it some people don't.

-Rich
Old 01-28-2012, 12:44 PM

I see well the used one seem to have better grips with colt medallions a nicer blue
Old 01-28-2012, 12:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I see well the used one seem to have better grips with colt medallions a nicer blue
That's an OLDER 1911. The 100 yr anniversary 1911 is exactly the same as the ones made in 2010 and being made now in 2012. I'm not an expert but I'm sure someone here can explain what range of years the used 1911 your talking about is from.

-Rich
Old 01-28-2012, 1:07 PM

A stainless Series 80 GM with Ed Brown MSH, beavertail, hammer, bbl and bbl bushing installed.

Last edited by GunDog; 12-24-2012 at 9:49 AM..
Old 01-28-2012, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonzer77 View Post
I own 3 actually, and one of them had a few small rust spots on the slide(last time I buy a gun online without seeing it first). I called up Colt and asked them about their warranty and I was told that the warranty is one year for cosmetic and lifetime for everything else. They sent me a shipping tag and it was refinished for free. I also told them that the trigger was a little heavy compared to my other two colts which have amazing trigger pulls and they cleaned it up at no charge. Be careful about assuming things, you know how the old saying goes.....
I'm not assuming anything, every time I've tried to get a colt repaired they made me pay for shipping and for the parts. like I said Prior (before not after) to the early 90's there is absolutely no warrantee, called colt on 3 different occasions. Post 90's they will cover most things. Im pretty sure a s80 falls under there no warrantee portion, but who knows when a series 80 colt was manufactured
Old 01-28-2012, 1:13 PM

Quote:
You obviously don't have many colts. Coming from someone that does, anything prior to the early 90's is not serviced without considerable payment. Most times they don't even have the parts, they request to buy the parts and send with the gun. Thats ****in ridiculous.
Prior to early 90s, if my math is correct will put it around 20 years or so.
Old 01-28-2012, 1:30 PM

Wow, looks like I found all the Colt haters Lol. 800 bucks is a good price for a Colt. It is a little on the upper tier of the price range, depending on its age, so i would expect it to be well taken care of. Got any pictures?

I have a Colt O1991 (Series 80) and it is fantastic. It has eaten anything i feed it, and shoots it very accurately as well. Hardly a POS, not even close. The series 80 is a proven safety design, if it wasnt, Colt would of stopped using it a long time ago. It may have a SLIGHTLY heavier trigger but a lot of people prefer it over the swarts safety from what I have read.

All manufacturers have had their moments when their quality or customer service has become not what it used to be. Some people just cant seem to let it go about Colt though. Currently, Colt is doing a fantastic job.

Quote:
The S80 has minimal collector value and is a sub par 1911. Get a RIA tactial it will shoot just as good if not better and be much more reliable.
A sub par 1911? Lol

RIAs are nice for the price but they cant touch my Colt. The over all finish and fitment is much better on the Colt. I compared the two side by side before I bought mine.

Last edited by Thomas1190; 01-28-2012 at 1:33 PM..
Old 01-28-2012, 1:36 PM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'm not assuming anything, every time I've tried to get a colt repaired they made me pay for shipping and for the parts. like I said Prior (before not after) to the early 90's there is absolutely no warrantee, called colt on 3 different occasions. Post 90's they will cover most things. Im pretty sure a s80 falls under there no warrantee portion, but who knows when a series 80 colt was manufactured
1990 is right when the big strike ended and Colt was sold to a coalition of private investors, the state of Connecticut, and the union employees. They also changed the name to Colt's manufacturing company LLC so that could be why anything pre 90 isn't covered.
Old 01-28-2012, 1:39 PM
Cat-in-a-Box
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

i bought a colt series 80 mark iv officers .45acp from another calgunner a few years ago for that price. love the gun.

"Her hands, her comfort, her confidence, her choice.", Mr K re buying a gun for a woman.

Gun Control:
"The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her own pantyhose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound."-- as seen on a t-shirt
Old 01-28-2012, 1:42 PM

Well I'm a purist and I'd rather buy an American made pos than Philippine, right now Its between the used one for 800 out the door or the new one for 880 + tax
Old 01-28-2012, 1:45 PM

I work for a manufacturing company. Once an item has been updated, redesigned, modified, discontinued etc... we offer, as a courtesy to our loyal customers, a 5 year replacement parts and service. Its hard for some of us to grasp what it means till you start running your own business. The nice thing about a 1911 is that parts are available by 3rd party manufacturers. I wouldn't expect a 20 year old gun to be fixed by any manufacturer. Heck, Id be surprised if they were still in business.
Old 01-28-2012, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Well I'm a purist and I'd rather buy an American made pos than Philippine, right now Its between the used one for 800 out the door or the new one for 880 + tax
Dude, you're killing me, just go buy the damn thing. You wont even remember it after 6 weeks.
Old 01-28-2012, 1:54 PM
Veteran Member

the firing pin safety on the series 80 kills it for me

get a series 70 colt if you're a colt purist, otherwise there are much better options for the money

never heard any complaints with Springfield Loadeds in their price range
Old 01-28-2012, 2:00 PM

He is not a purist, he owns a SW DK.