Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 08-03-2014, 9:01 AM

Default Another 1915 SMLE

Just picked up this 1915 BSA no 1 mk 3. Sight is mismatch but still retains windage, forend # is illegible. Bolt, nosecap, and barrel match receiver although barrel is a 1918 replacement. Bore is very good. Mag cutoff is still there as well as volley sight and peep sight, however the dial plate is off a P14 but the pointer is correct, so obviously someone found it without volley sight and added the incorrect one which you sometimes see on some "restorations"when a SMLE has its volley sights, typically it's an SMLE with an earlier long lee dial. But, being as nosecap is a match I don't believe its a full restoration, someone may have swapped out forends, or this one could be original and dial was missing... Who knows. Anyway, I already have a nice 1915 BSA, I mainly purchased this for the accessories that it came with: a Sanderson hooked quillion P1907 bayonet, made in Dec '08, as well as a P1908 frog early war version with rivets and strap, both hard to find. I have been looking for a hooky for a number of years and this is the first affordable one I have found. Unfortunately some bonehead did some heavy cleaning of the patina and blueing, and grips are obviously replacements but it is still worth as much or even a few hundred more than the entire purchase price, so the rifle and frog are just icing on the cake.
Cheers

My other 1915 BSA

Last edited by Father Ted; 08-03-2014 at 9:05 AM..
Old 08-03-2014, 9:57 AM
Calguns Addict

Sweet pick up, congrats! She's a beauty. That's great that you have an original pointer, spring washer and screw for the front volley sight, those are the hardest parts to find. I saw a correct dial plate recently for the Mk III, if I can find it again I'll send you a PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:48 AM

Lovely - a personal tribute to the 100th anniversary.

Great looking set up.