Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Optics, Mounts, Rails and Sights If it aims your firearm, post about it here.

Old 01-20-2012, 6:41 PM

Default Magpul MOE vs Quad Rail aluminum handguard

I currently have an aluminum quad rail system on my AR, but am thinking of swapping it out for a Magpul MOE handguard with rails. I was wondering what peeoples' experiences were with each: if someone has AR's with both, has switched from one to the other, or just owns either one individually. The only reason I want to switch is because of the reduced front end weight. I like the look and versatility of my quad rails without having to buy more rails if I want to add something else or move something and have gotten used to the front end weight, but I know it'd be more maneuverable/comfortable with a polymer handguard. Any input is appreciated.
Old 01-20-2012, 8:52 PM
Veteran Member

A quality free float rail will weigh the same as the MOE +- an ounce or two. https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...DQ&output=html

solution to your weight savings desire and flexibility: http://troyind.com/%20/partners/viki...eme-by-troy-11
Old 01-20-2012, 11:16 PM

^^^^^^ What he said on both counts.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:42 PM

after the moe ive tried 2 different quad rails

then i realized rails are stupid...so much unused rail thats not comfortable to hold.

im back to the moe, i didnt want to be a magpul fanboy but they're perfect. installS in seconds, light as fahq, i added a small rail section for my light and one for my vfg

MOE > RAILS anyday all day
Old 01-21-2012, 3:20 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Most of the rifles I have with rails came that way. I only have one where I added one after the fact, and that was only because I was doing a mock up of a particular MIL pattern firearm. Outside of that I with socal-shooter here, for most people they just dont make much sense and end up a way to add weight to the rifle while relieving weight from your wallet.

If you need em/will actually use em... by all means go for it!

disclaimer:
everything I post is for arguendo and entertainment purposes only, and should not be construed to be legal advice
Old 01-21-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rero360 View Post
A quality free float rail will weigh the same as the MOE +- an ounce or two. https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...DQ&output=html

solution to your weight savings desire and flexibility: http://troyind.com/%20/partners/viki...eme-by-troy-11
$$$$ Looks like I have some saving to do if I want to free float hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal-shooter View Post
after the moe ive tried 2 different quad rails

then i realized rails are stupid...so much unused rail thats not comfortable to hold.

im back to the moe, i didnt want to be a magpul fanboy but they're perfect. installS in seconds, light as fahq, i added a small rail section for my light and one for my vfg

MOE > RAILS anyday all day
I definitely see where you're coming from. My rail came with rail covers so it's still comfortable, but there's a lot of unused space. I do like the ability to move stuff around though. Plus I have a bipod, light, and want a vertical FG. Dammit, decisions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPlink View Post
Most of the rifles I have with rails came that way. I only have one where I added one after the fact, and that was only because I was doing a mock up of a particular MIL pattern firearm. Outside of that I with socal-shooter here, for most people they just dont make much sense and end up a way to add weight to the rifle while relieving weight from your wallet.

If you need em/will actually use em... by all means go for it!
Got it thanks man. I'm still on the edge. I just don't want to spend as much on rails as on the grip if I want to add a foregrip. Also if I end up getting a magnifier for my red dot I might have to move the red dot to the top of the quad rail. Hmm...
Old 01-21-2012, 11:18 AM
Calguns Addict

with an MOE, you can get an MVG so don't NEED rails. If you want an option to use it on something else, you could get an RVG and you'll get the MOE adapter/rail section with it.

Most civvies just have no need for rails but tacticool is in.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson

9mm + 5.56mm =
.45ACP + 7.62 NATO =
10mm + 6.8 SPC =

Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis; Jn 1:14
Old 01-21-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uxi View Post
with an MOE, you can get an MVG so don't NEED rails. If you want an option to use it on something else, you could get an RVG and you'll get the MOE adapter/rail section with it.

Most civvies just have no need for rails but tacticool is in.
Hm I didn't know the rail section came with the RVG. I was thinking about a UTG folding grip though so it'll fit in my rifle case
Old 01-21-2012, 12:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rero360 View Post

Love that spreadsheet. Thanks for sharing. I had just noted how much lighter my wife's rifle was than mine. Some of that is in the barrel length and profile, but some is most definitely in the moe handguards.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I started with the carbine handguards that came with my RRA. I went from that to quad rails, and attached and removed all manner of things - lights, lasers, vertical grips, pressure switches and so on (an employee discount can be a bad thing).

I recently replaced the quad rail with the Magpul MOE fore end, and the Scout Light mounts, one on the left and right, for the laser and the light.

What I learned? Buy a hand guard removal tool. The Magpul stuff is reasonably priced, and you're going to want to experiment. I like the shape and feel of the Magpul MOE fore end, but I know in a few weeks/days/hours I'm going to be jonesing for a new rifle, and the ability to swap fore ends quickly helps that to pass without spending the money on yet another AR.

If I could only have one? Probably the Magpul MOE. I have things where I want them (light, laser and vertical grip) and it's comfortable.

You might consider a lower-priced quad rail, and work with it a while before spending Big Bucks on a Big Name rail. The Leapers UTG Pro is a good way to get your feet wet, and it's made in the USA:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leapers-...uad-rails.html

Is it a LaRue? Of course not. Is it a solid, reasonably priced quad rail that will let you own both? Yes. You may never feel the need to upgrade, or maybe you will. I'm not suggesting this if you fast rope from helicopters, but it will certainly work at the range.

In case you're interested, here are some folks arguing over the quality and price of quad rails:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=552708

Mark H.

OpticsPlanet
http://www.opticsplanet.com
Toll-Free (888) 504-7864
Send us a private message if we can be of help!
Old 01-25-2012, 11:25 AM

i went quad rail handguard in the beginning cuz it looked "taticoool" but in the end after lugging it around I realized it was way to heavy.

The magpul is extremely light and you can configure it anyway you want (like everyone has said here). Magpul also has a bunch of accessories that pre fit their handguards like light mounts, VFG, etc etc ( Magpul koolaid...yum)

I have a quad rail DD lite 10 but for $270 less the magpul is a damn good way to go.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpticsPlanet View Post
I started with the carbine handguards that came with my RRA. I went from that to quad rails, and attached and removed all manner of things - lights, lasers, vertical grips, pressure switches and so on (an employee discount can be a bad thing).

I recently replaced the quad rail with the Magpul MOE fore end, and the Scout Light mounts, one on the left and right, for the laser and the light.

What I learned? Buy a hand guard removal tool. The Magpul stuff is reasonably priced, and you're going to want to experiment. I like the shape and feel of the Magpul MOE fore end, but I know in a few weeks/days/hours I'm going to be jonesing for a new rifle, and the ability to swap fore ends quickly helps that to pass without spending the money on yet another AR.

If I could only have one? Probably the Magpul MOE. I have things where I want them (light, laser and vertical grip) and it's comfortable.

You might consider a lower-priced quad rail, and work with it a while before spending Big Bucks on a Big Name rail. The Leapers UTG Pro is a good way to get your feet wet, and it's made in the USA:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/leapers-...uad-rails.html

Is it a LaRue? Of course not. Is it a solid, reasonably priced quad rail that will let you own both? Yes. You may never feel the need to upgrade, or maybe you will. I'm not suggesting this if you fast rope from helicopters, but it will certainly work at the range.

In case you're interested, here are some folks arguing over the quality and price of quad rails:

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=552708

Mark H.
Thanks for the info man. Yeah i have one on mine that I bought from a gun show for $60, but i'm not sure who the mfr is. So far it's been solid. I actually took it off and compared it in weight to my stock forend and it didn't seem much heavier (of course this was just me putting one in each hand). The MOE handguard is definitely still on my mind though. I just have to get the money together to pick that and the extra rails up haha. I'll definitely check out that thread though thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.t.singh View Post
i went quad rail handguard in the beginning cuz it looked "taticoool" but in the end after lugging it around I realized it was way to heavy.

The magpul is extremely light and you can configure it anyway you want (like everyone has said here). Magpul also has a bunch of accessories that pre fit their handguards like light mounts, VFG, etc etc ( Magpul koolaid...yum)

I have a quad rail DD lite 10 but for $270 less the magpul is a damn good way to go.
Yeah I definitely like the lightness of it and the versatility. One problem though is that I might have to move my RDS up onto the top of the quad rail when I get a magnifier for it (depending on which magnifier I get), in which case i'd need the upper rails. I guess i'm going to just have to wait and see. I might just buy one and see how it feels and sell it if I need the extra rails once I get the magnifier.
Old 01-25-2012, 1:32 PM
Calguns Addict

Strange how rails are falling out of favor lately. Just goes to show that marketing really works. My feelings are actually opposite in that I prefer the feel of the bare rails over plastic handguards.

I didn't care for the MOE handguard at all. It's too small and slippery, and it's also nowhere near as solid as a quality FF or drop-in rail.
Old 01-25-2012, 9:34 PM
Banned

I love my moe's.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droppin Deuces View Post
Strange how rails are falling out of favor lately. Just goes to show that ERGONOMICS really works.

i fixed that for you brah
Old 01-25-2012, 10:10 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Strange how rails are falling out of favor lately. Just goes to show that marketing really works. My feelings are actually opposite in that I prefer the feel of the bare rails over plastic handguards.

I didn't care for the MOE handguard at all. It's too small and slippery, and it's also nowhere near as solid as a quality FF or drop-in rail.
I wouldn't say rails are falling out of favor, but there is definitely a downward trend in people wanting to put 4ft. of rail on the fore-end of their rifles. A lot of manufacturers have gone the "tube" route with just a rail on top, sometimes round sometimes not, and modular rail sections that can just be bolted into place compared to a standard quad-rail fore-end. Even some with the rails built in will still only have them half-length because people don't need a 12" rail just to mount flashlights and lasers.
Old 01-25-2012, 10:54 PM
Veteran Member

I used to have a A.R.M.S. SIR all tacticool looking. Finally settled with MOE grip for pretty much the reasons mentioned above
Old 01-26-2012, 12:20 AM

I heard rumors (on the internet of all places) that the MOE handguards get loose after some use and melt with moderately heavy use such as tactical classes and full auto. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Interesting spreadsheet; the magpul MOE 12" rifle length for my AR would only be 3 ounces lighter. For 3 ounces I'll endure the tacticool stigma for a stronger free float quad rail.

Want to buy: Revolver in .357mag or .22lr >3"bbl
Also want to buy Dan Wesson 15 barrel shrouds (.357)
Old 01-26-2012, 12:51 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawStar View Post
I heard rumors (on the internet of all places) that the MOE handguards get loose after some use and melt with moderately heavy use such as tactical classes and full auto. Can anyone confirm or deny?

Interesting spreadsheet; the magpul MOE 12" rifle length for my AR would only be 3 ounces lighter. For 3 ounces I'll endure the tacticool stigma for a stronger free float quad rail.
Except you don't need a full quad rail to have a metal handguard with modular rail sections these days.
Old 01-26-2012, 2:27 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I personally don't care for the look of MOE handguards. I prefer rails with covers except where something is mounted. It all comes down to personal preference really.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Glad to know I'm not the only one. I do like MOE handguards, but I find bare rails quite comfortable. I've yet to buy rail covers for any of my rifles.
Old 01-29-2012, 1:06 AM

With the Moe handguard, you can attached the MVG and the flush QD sling mount from IWC ($15) and not need much more. Of course, if you need more top rail, you need more top rail.
Old 01-31-2012, 8:21 AM

Im going back to DD free floats because i tried running a MOE handguard in a rifle match and found the moe too slippery and not a good shape for my small hands.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:15 AM

I have the S&W MP15 MOE since 2009 and my MOE handguards are perfectly fine... no melting since I do not have 'full auto. They do get loose but its within normal limits and easily adjusted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlawStar View Post

Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf.

George Orwell