Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 01-16-2012, 7:46 AM

Default 14.7" PSA uppers w/ pinned flash hider, CA legal?

I apologize in advanced for the basic question as I'm sure this has been covered before, but a quick search didn't turn up anything definitive.

I was looking at the 14.7" pinned flash hider uppers at palmettostatearmory.com and was wondering, are those ok in California? It seems like you also have to be careful about what folding stock you put on to make sure the collapsed length is over 30". I was going to get one and put a Sopmod stock on it, wondering if anyone has that setup and can vouch that it's long enough?

Any other things I should know pros/cons about pinned flash hiders? I am trying to build the closest m4gery I can that is still legal. AFAIK the pinned flash hider makes it impossible to change the FSB but I would be getting one with no FSB anyway and a low-pro gas block and free float rail already on there that I don't plan to change.
Old 01-16-2012, 7:54 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Yes the barrel will be 16" after pinned MD and a SOPMOP stock brings it to 31" long. The older mil-spec 4 position carbine stock will be 29.75" long...so watch out in that respect.
Old 01-16-2012, 7:54 AM

Yes ,they are CA leagl with Collapsible Stock,But Not with Folding Stock
Old 01-16-2012, 7:58 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glug View Post

Any other things I should know pros/cons about pinned flash hiders? I am trying to build the closest m4gery I can that is still legal. AFAIK the pinned flash hider makes it impossible to change the FSB but I would be getting one with no FSB anyway and a low-pro gas block and free float rail already on there that I don't plan to change.
This is something you have to work out yourself. Its the bane of owning a 14.5" barrel. I didnt want to deal with a gunsmith so I used a dremel tool and cut my A2 FSB off and used a YHM 2-piece clamp-on gas block system. I went with the HK style folding FSB. Good luck.
Old 01-16-2012, 8:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Wait I think I am wrong on the Old mil-spec carbine stock thing. The old A2 style flash hider is SHORTER than the civilian one which is used to reach 16" minimum...

here are the mil-specs on the rifles...
Weight:
Carbine, M4/M4A1 without magazine and sling ...... 6 lb 7 oz 2.91 kg
Rifle, Ml 6A2 without magazine and sling................ 7 lb 8 oz 3.40 kg
Sling, adjustable .................................................. .... 4 oz 0.11 kg
Empty magazine.......................................... ............ 4 oz 0.11 kg
Loaded magazine .................................................. .. 1 lb 1 oz 0.48 kg
Carbine, M4/M4A1 w/sling and loaded magazine ... 7 lb 12 oz 3.51 kg
Rifle M16A2 w/sling and loaded magazine.............. 8 lb 13 oz 4.00 kg
Bayonet-Knife M7 .................................................. .. 10.5 oz 0.30 kg
Scabbard M10 o .................................................. .... 5 oz 0.14 kg

Length:
Carbine with compensator, buttstock extended....... 33.0 in /83.82 cm
Carbine with compensator, buttstock closed ........... 29.75 in /75.57 cm
Rifle with compensator ............................................ 39.63 in /100.66 cm
Barrel (Carbine) .................................................. ..... 14.5 in /36.83 cm
Barrel (Rifle)........................................... .................. 20 in /50.8 cm
Barrel with compensator (Carbine).......................... 15.5 in /39.37 cm
Barrel with compensator (Rifle) ............................... 21 in /53.34 cm

Mechanical features:
Rifling......................................right-hand twist 6 grooves, 1turn in 7 inches (17.78 cm)
Method of operation......................................... ........ direct gas
Type of breech mechanism ..................................... rotating bolt
Method of feeding........................................... ......... magazine
Cooling........................................... .......................... air
Trigger pull (M16A2 & M4)....................................... 5.5 to 9.5 lb / 2.49 to 4.31kg
Trigger pull (M4A1)............................................ ...... 5.5 to 8.5 lb / 2.49 to 3.86 kg

Ammunition:
Caliber .................................................. ................... 223 / 5.56mm
Type.............................................. ................ ball, blank, dummy, and tracer

Firing characteristics:
Muzzle velocity (Carbine) (approximate) ................. 2,970 fps /905.85 mps
Muzzle velocity (Rifle) (approximate)....................... 3,100 fps /945.5 mps
Chamber pressure.......................................... . 52,000 psi /358,540 kPa
Cyclic rate of fire (Carbine) (approximate)............... 700-970 rds/m
Cyclic rate of fire (Rifle) (approximate) .................... 700-900 rds/m
Safe Firing Rate..........................Semi 45 rds/m, Burst 90 rds/m, Auto 120 rds/m

so by adding the 1/2" to the MD you gain the needed 1/4" in OAL.
Old 01-16-2012, 8:44 AM

If it matters, I was thinking of going with a YHM phantom flash hider.
Old 01-16-2012, 8:50 AM
Banned

I have this exact barrel with pinned flash and a six position stock. Barrel is legal @ 16 inches and rifle is just over 30 inches when fully collapsed. I measured it many times to be sure. I can snap a pictures tonight if your interested.
Old 01-16-2012, 9:14 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akers View Post
I have this exact barrel with pinned flash and a six position stock. Barrel is legal @ 16 inches and rifle is just over 30 inches when fully collapsed. I measured it many times to be sure. I can snap a pictures tonight if your interested.
Just so we are all on the same page here...

You HAVE a
1) 14.7" NOT a 14.5"
2) You have a 6 position NOT a 4 position
3) You have a SOPMOP, not a M4 stock
4) What muzzle device do you have?

all this matters...
Old 01-16-2012, 10:41 AM

1) 14.7" NOT a 14.5"

Yes, PSA's are 14.7": http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...ash-hider.html

2) You have a 6 position NOT a 4 position

Correct, 6 position. Specifically, I was thinking of this: http://www.spikestactical.com/new/z/...nly-p-805.html

3) You have a SOPMOP, not a M4 stock

Right, see above.

4) What muzzle device do you have?

I need figure out the exact model. I was thinking of some kind of YHM Phantom, but that isn't set in stone yet.

Thanks for your help.