Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calguns LEOs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns LEOs LEOs; chat, kibitz and relax. Non-LEOs; have a questions for a cop? Ask it here, in a CIVIL manner.

Old 01-15-2012, 4:21 PM

Default What's an LEO friendly range in the SF Bay area?

Are there any LEO friendly shooting ranges in the bay area where they will let you use your AR and handgun?

This site is great! I should've joined years ago!
Old 01-15-2012, 4:22 PM
Calguns Addict

how far from SF are you willing to travel
Laguna Seca has a LE only range
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates
Old 01-15-2012, 4:39 PM

Maybe a 35-40 mile radius from San Francisco. I live in the east bay, closer to the Dublin/San Ramon area. Thanks.
Old 01-15-2012, 4:56 PM

ALCO range as long as you have your ID and they don't have something planned that day.
Old 01-15-2012, 5:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Welcome to Calguns.

Bullseye in San Rafael is very LEO friendly, but if you want to shoot AR there you'll need to have frangible ammo.

Not a lawyer, just a former LEO proud to have served.

Quote:
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. -- James Madison
Old 01-15-2012, 6:44 PM

Jackson Arms in SSF is very LEO friendly. They'll let you do holster work if they have the lane space available. If you shoot AR, you MUST buy and use their ammo.
Old 01-15-2012, 6:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Livermore Gun Club (www.lprg.org) is close to you. No problems with AR and pistol but no rapid fire. Has 25 and 100 yard berm. Open Tuesday nights to shoot also--great for some light work.

PM me for information on low-priced Front Sight Memberships!
Old 01-15-2012, 8:22 PM

Define "LEO friendly". Pretty much any rifle range will let you fire ARs without problem. Some will let you shoot rapid fire or draw from holster if you identify yourself as LE. The San Leandro range on Davis is probably the closest to you. I have heard the ACSO range in Dublin is open to other agencies but don't know how that works.
Old 01-19-2012, 9:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falconis View Post
ALCO range as long as you have your ID and they don't have something planned that day.
Is it just open to local/county/state or can feds go? Cost? Thanks.
Old 01-22-2012, 6:38 PM

Richmond Rod & Gun Club is pretty cool too. Nice guys, with a 25 yd and 100 yd range, and a rapid fire range that is available to LEO's on certain days of the week. The parking lot is fairly secure too, as they are out on a long road outside of town. That's a concern when you're looking at a place to haul your gear. Covered lanes, benches, seats on the 100 yd line. Open air, but Richmond and the range are right on the water, so it's usually pretty nice weather. Bring a jacket anyway.

Avoid Gun Fishing & Other Stuff in Vacaville. They are paranoid about Federal LEO's, and not especially friendly to any others. Last time I checked, they had a policy that doesn't allow anyone to carry in the store and LEO's have to declare. Forget that thank you very much. Crazy. Great selection and ammo variety too, but they sell at MSRP and won't negotiate or match prices. Tons of FUD there too.

Center Mass in Vacaville is a very LEO friendly indoor range, and offers discounts to military and LEO's. Not a lot of selection for new guns or accessories, but lots of rental guns. Expensive ammunition. The facility is a bit tired at 25 years old or so, but nice folks and it gets the job done on a rainy day.

There's a nice range in Martinez too, I forget the name right now, but it's close to 680 and the Benicia Bridge.

__

I don't think it's nice,...you laughing.
You see, my mule don't like people laughing.
He gets the crazy idea you're laughing at him.
Now if you apologize, like I know you're going to,
I might convince him that you really didn't mean it.

Last edited by Neptune; 01-22-2012 at 6:46 PM..
Old 02-09-2012, 12:46 PM

Sunnyvale Rod and Gun located by Steven's Creek Reservoir is open to the public Tuesday 0900-2100, Friday 0900-1700, and Saturday 0900-1700.

State, Local, and Federal LEOs are allowed to shoot for free on both rifle and pistol lanes. When you check in with the range master, just show him your creds.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Old 02-09-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
Sunnyvale Rod and Gun located by Steven's Creek Reservoir is open to the public Tuesday 0900-2100, Friday 0900-1700, and Saturday 0900-1700.

State, Local, and Federal LEOs are allowed to shoot for free on both rifle and pistol lanes. When you check in with the range master, just show him your creds.
+1...... and just by looking down the rifle lanes, I don't think you are allowed to shoot anything but ARs....
Old 02-09-2012, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatesbox View Post
+1...... and just by looking down the rifle lanes, I don't think you are allowed to shoot anything but ARs....
Yeah, good thing they banned them all back in 1999

I have RSO'ed there for several years now and it is interesting to note that even a lot of the old "Elmer Fudds" are shooting AR pattern rifles. Some of them are telling me that even old Embert ("ARs are illegal and you are going to hell if you have one") and Smithers are selling them these days.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle
Old 02-09-2012, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvorov View Post
Yeah, good thing they banned them all back in 1999

I have RSO'ed there for several years now and it is interesting to note that even a lot of the old "Elmer Fudds" are shooting AR pattern rifles. Some of them are telling me that even old Embert ("ARs are illegal and you are going to hell if you have one") and Smithers are selling them these days.
Yes indeed, the guys at I&S have a big old money making AR grin on their face these days.... Seems like every time I go in there they have a new model.
It was not even a year ago they gave me a polite referral to US Firearms to deal with doing a PPT on a stripped lower.
Old 10-26-2012, 1:10 PM

I found this thread while searching for something else.

Reed's Indoor Range in Santa Clara is LEO friendly as far as I can tell. I've seen LEOs in there in uniform and I've seen them training with handguns out of uniform. Yes, they confirmed they were LEO. I also partnered with an LEO during one of Louie Awerbuck's stages. I believe they allow LEO's to draw from a holster. I know they let trainees draw from a holster once they complete stage 2 of Louie's training. I don't know how they deal with the use of AR's.
Old 10-28-2012, 8:29 AM

Do you your self a favor go to ALCO.
Sig Sauer Armorer
Remington Shotgun Armorer