Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 01-12-2012, 1:41 PM

Default Brief AAR - Ludus Costa (Chris Costa) Handgun Employment II, hosted by Falcon Ops

Keeping it short, this was an excellent class taught by Costa and hosted by Falcon Operations Group (Falcon Security Group on Facebook). It was an honor to shoot with Chris, he is really hands-on with his students, to the point he purposely and surprisingly walked in front of me during a live-fire movement drill to see if I could react appropriately and put shots downrange without sweeping him and my partner. That just shows how much faith he has in his students and the curriculum he teaches. For the pistol course, we put about 1800+ rounds downrange in 3 days, so there was a LOT of shooting going on. We ended each of the first two days with a shoot-off, and the last day we ended with a 5 station, 13 target obstacle course setup by the Falcon crew which forced students to utilize all of the skills that were taught during earlier portions of the training.

Although some students wrote down all of the drills, I didn’t. So, I cannot recite each evolution we did, but I can say that the drills were similar in content to the MagPul Advanced Pistol DVDs that so many Costa fans are familiar with, but I felt that we were able to go into more detail with him in person and on the range as opposed to watching it at home. The students themselves were about 75% LEO and 25% civilian, so it was a good mix of excellent shooters, with safety in mind during the entire course.

As for Falcon Operations Group, another great class as always… this was my 18th class day with them (over 150 hours of training) and once again I feel fully satisfied that I am getting the training that I pay for. I will for sure continue training with Falcon in 2012, and look forward to Chris’ next visit to SoCal!

Last edited by lewisracing; 01-12-2012 at 2:41 PM..
Old 01-12-2012, 2:38 PM

Good to hear, a friend and I are signed up for Pistol II in March in the secret location in the South Bay Area
Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound. -- L. Neil Smith

Old 01-13-2012, 8:25 AM

Thanks for the AAR lewis, Looking forward to training with Costa this year.
Old 01-13-2012, 1:04 PM

I wish I could have attended the Costa classes (currently out of country). Sounds like you guys had a blast.
Old 01-16-2012, 3:17 PM

This was without a doubt one of the top Advanced Pistol classes I've ever taken. The variety, number, progressions and repetitions of drills with the accompanying reasons for them was just amazing. If you can afford three full and consecutive days you'll become a distinctly better shooter no matter your skill level. Costa's presentations and demonstrations were top notch. Hope to see him back in SoCal once a year.
Old 01-17-2012, 4:56 PM

A pic by Ted Tae from Chris Costa's page, with thanks to OC Tactical for the free earpro covers:

More on Falcon's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/FalconOperationsGroup
Old 01-18-2012, 9:58 PM

Default Ludus Costa Rips!!

Where to start!

This was hands down the best advanced pistol course I have ever taken. If you are at an advanced level I cannot recommend it enough. You will definitely learn some new things and improve on the things you know. I found it to be an environment where you constantly challenge your abilities and immediately see improvement in those abilities.

The instructor: What can I say, Costa has a name for a reason. Now I'm saying this as someone who is a bit of a hater when it comes to people who are overhyped or overexposed. I'd be lying if I didn't say I had some doubts in the back of my mind as to whether or not this guy was going to be that good or whether itíd be mostly hype. Well as a full-fledged admittedly hater I can honestly tell you that Costa is a certified Bad A** Dude!! Believe it! From the beginning he showed up on day one and walked around introducing himself to everyone one at a time. If someone asked him a question he gave you the honest/straight answer and why he sees it that way. If someone was struggling to understand something or performing the drill heíd be working with you one on one right then and there until you got it right. You'd even see him with someone in between evolutions. Itís obvious he cares that you are getting the most out of what you paid since he knows and understands that you might be giving up a lot to be there with him. Great character and quite impressive from an instructor of his caliber. Each evolution was great. From the explanation to the demonstration, our execution and his feedback. Man this dude is like Bruce Lee with a gun! When you've trained with great people long enough itís hard to still be impressed.

When signing up for courses you never know how many clowns youíre going to have in your group. Itís just inevitable youíre going to have a few over-kitted dudes and a few way in over their heads. Itís too hard to weed them out in the sign up process and letís face it, people are just not honest about their abilities. I can honestly say that the majority of the group was squared away. That really helped us move through the days and get a lot done. I really appreciate that Costa would put it out there to students to "Bow out" if you didn't feel comfortable with the advanced drill. Not enough instructors give people that out and so they feel like they have to try to perform and that becomes unsafe, especially at that level.

1800+ rounds was amazing. We were not just hosing rounds down range. We were keeping up with a good rhythm of drills and pushing it to the limits of speed and accuracy.

Day one got us good and ready for day two while pushing our accuracy at distances.

Day two got us ready for day three by getting us focused on the importance of trigger control and keeping it in mind for stressed positions and situations.

Day three we pushed that accuracy with stressed positions and movement.

The best was ending the day with the shoot offs. Itís the best way to put everything into practice seeing how you perform trying to be the best under stress of the timer and with all eyes on you. Itís even better when you have a good group that is rooting for you and giving props to each shooterís effort.

If you have never trained with Falcon you are doing yourself a disservice. It is easy to see the synergy between Costa and Falcon as they train you with a very similar mindset, curriculum and skills. I want to thank Costa for the great instruction and Falcon for hosting and being a solid school.

Thanks to OCTactical.com for the gear!

Here are some photos I took of the class. I think they can give a better AAR than I can.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:47 PM

Last edited by markitzero; 01-18-2012 at 11:02 PM..
Old 01-18-2012, 11:12 PM

Old 01-18-2012, 11:14 PM

Old 01-18-2012, 11:24 PM

That's great that you got to experience this level of training. Thank you for the awesome photos and quick roundup.

All I say is "someday" to myself. I just so happened to watch the Magpul "Art of the dynamic handgun" for the 3rd time today and just through the videos Costa seems like a legit instructor.

Just curious to know, what kind of camera setup were you shooting with?

www.KEOKEphotography.com
Old 01-19-2012, 5:53 AM

Kinda off topic, but questions to those who attended. I saw Costa running his NHC Costa 1911 Recon, how was his 1911 operating? Any malfunction? Any students guns go down?

Thanks
Old 01-19-2012, 10:54 AM

Not really off topic, and a good question! From what I recall, his Nighthawk ran flawlessly. He may have had 1 or 2 hiccups under speed shooting, but I cannot even recall what they were because Costa clears his malfunctions so quickly!

As for other shooters, I had a HUGE malfunction with my ammo. Using reloads, one of them blew a case which was enough power to shoot the mag out of the bottom of the gun and the gun flew out of my hand.

As Costa instructed earlier in the course if you drop your gun, I backed off the line, raised my hand, we called "cease fire". Other shooters backed off the line and Costa picked my gun up... it was clear, no longer loaded, and luckily in one piece. My hand was slightly burnt from the explosion, but the gun was still 100% intact. I cleaned it, we inspected it, and I got back on line.

The crew said that if I were shooting .40 or .45, it would have been a different story than 9mm. So, lesson learned from shooting reloads... I knew I was taking a risk, but it took about 10,000 rounds to find the single bad one.

For the rest of the shooters, I did not notice many guns going down at all, if any. Most were shooting glocks, some sigs and some 1911s. The Glocks always run flawlessly in a Falcon class!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barca101 View Post
Kinda off topic, but questions to those who attended. I saw Costa running his NHC Costa 1911 Recon, how was his 1911 operating? Any malfunction? Any students guns go down?

Thanks
Old 01-19-2012, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markitzero View Post
This was hands down the best advanced pistol course I have ever taken.
Mark, just curious as to what you are comparing the Costa class to? What other training outfits you've trained under and how do they compare?

Last edited by HK35; 01-19-2012 at 12:18 PM..
Old 01-19-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisracing View Post
... So, lesson learned from shooting reloads... I knew I was taking a risk, but it took about 10,000 rounds to find the single bad one...!
Stash, were these you personal reloads or did you buy it from a reloader?
Old 01-19-2012, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knerona View Post
Just curious to know, what kind of camera setup were you shooting with?
For this class I ran the Canon 7D with 24-70L
Old 01-19-2012, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK35 View Post
Stash, were these you personal reloads or did you buy it from a reloader?
A local bulk reloader... I don't want to mention who it is though, just to avoid internet flaming from others...
Old 01-19-2012, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisracing View Post
As for other shooters, I had a HUGE malfunction with my ammo. Using reloads, one of them blew a case which was enough power to shoot the mag out of the bottom of the gun and the gun flew out of my hand.

As Costa instructed earlier in the course if you drop your gun, I backed off the line, raised my hand, we called "cease fire". Other shooters backed off the line and Costa picked my gun up... it was clear, no longer loaded, and luckily in one piece. My hand was slightly burnt from the explosion, but the gun was still 100% intact. I cleaned it, we inspected it, and I got back on line.
Did you get back on the line with the same batch of ammo?

This is why I never trust reloads done by others.
Old 01-19-2012, 1:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clee View Post
Did you get back on the line with the same batch of ammo?

This is why I never trust reloads done by others.
I had to... That was all the ammo i had at the time and figured i would just finish them off and buy factory from now-on.
Old 01-19-2012, 2:24 PM
Veteran Member

Was use of weaponlights a portion of the class? I'm taking the one in March, would give me an excuse to pick up an X300 or something I suppose...
Old 01-19-2012, 2:27 PM

Lewisracing, I'm glad that you are okay and nothing major. It's good that happenEd there and not a self defense or home defense situation. what kind of pistol where you using? It sounds like a pretty heavy duty and proven gun.
Old 01-19-2012, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK35 View Post
Mark, just curious as to what you are comparing the Costa class to? What other training outfits you've trained under and how do they compare?
Weíre lucky to have some great local training schools here in SoCal. Some of the best Iíve taken over the years would be TFTT Advanced Pistol Operator Course, ITTS Advanced Handgun, and Falcon. Each has its own unique differences and merits so I couldn't really compare them in regards to one being better in any way. With Ludus Costa we were pretty fortunate to have a class of students that were for the most part up to speed. That's always going to make a difference in training because you can get through that much more. Sometimes you end up with a smaller group and end up with same benefit. A few of the differences with Costa would be the physical aspect of the advanced training. You certainly are getting a workout from the different shooting positions and youíre changing to an explosive manner (within your own abilities) while getting good hits down range. Including mindset into the physical training in a way that keeps you switched on (safe) and allows you experience what positions might work best in certain scenarios (high port, low port, SUL). By having to draw my pistol while being boxed in I was able to see the value in the different ready positions. To expand on that he would paint a picture if you were in a crowded area and shots fired. Do you draw and run toward the threat (pro: youíre up and can engage immediately -- con: does an officer or other armed citizen see you running with a gun and take you for the threat) or get to the threat and then draw? The point is there is no right or wrong. Itís situational. However, by training both ways and asking the question you may have a leg up on the situation compared to before. In Costa's advanced training be prepared for it being demanding skill-wise, physically, and mentally.
Old 01-19-2012, 3:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markitzero View Post
We’re lucky to have some great local training schools here in SoCal. Some of the best I’ve taken over the years would be TFTT Advanced Pistol Operator Course, ITTS Advanced Handgun, and Falcon. Each has its own unique differences and merits so I couldn't really compare them in regards to one being better in any way. With Ludus Costa we were pretty fortunate to have a class of students that were for the most part up to speed. That's always going to make a difference in training because you can get through that much more. Sometimes you end up with a smaller group and end up with same benefit. A few of the differences with Costa would be the physical aspect of the advanced training. You certainly are getting a workout from the different shooting positions and you’re changing to an explosive manner (within your own abilities) while getting good hits down range. Including mindset into the physical training in a way that keeps you switched on (safe) and allows you experience what positions might work best in certain scenarios (high port, low port, SUL). By having to draw my pistol while being boxed in I was able to see the value in the different ready positions. To expand on that he would paint a picture if you were in a crowded area and shots fired. Do you draw and run toward the threat (pro: you’re up and can engage immediately -- con: does an officer or other armed citizen see you running with a gun and take you for the threat) or get to the threat and then draw? The point is there is no right or wrong. It’s situational. However, by training both ways and asking the question you may have a leg up on the situation compared to before. In Costa's advanced training be prepared for it being demanding skill-wise, physically, and mentally.
Cool! Thanks for your response. Sounds like it was indeed an excellent class!

I guess for those of us who do not have an LTC and have to LUCC we would have to run for cover, decide to engage, unlock gun case, pull gun & mag out of case, insert mag, rack slide, press check, decide whether to run to threat with gun in hand or place gun back in case then run to threat, then engage when ready...hopefully the threat is still there by the time we are ready

Last edited by HK35; 01-19-2012 at 3:08 PM..
Old 01-19-2012, 6:00 PM

Quote:

Thanks
Costa had some old pistol mags with various issues during the carbine course. He used six of my newer Wilson 8/10's for the balance of his pistol course and his pistol ran pretty flawless.

His NHC is pretty badass... I am very bummed I had to work and couldn't run this course as well. The Falcon guys have all there **** together and I can't wait until they can bring him back to town.
Old 01-20-2012, 6:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Rockso View Post
Was use of weaponlights a portion of the class? I'm taking the one in March, would give me an excuse to pick up an X300 or something I suppose...
No weapons light usage... Both Costa and Falcon offer specialty courses for that.

Last edited by lewisracing; 01-20-2012 at 9:05 AM..
Old 01-20-2012, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Lewisracing, I'm glad that you are okay and nothing major. It's good that happenEd there and not a self defense or home defense situation. what kind of pistol where you using? It sounds like a pretty heavy duty and proven gun.
Thanks barca! But never would have happened otherwise, I use home defense ammo and separate mags off the range. The pistol was a G17, and yea, for a polymer gun, it's pretty well made!

Last edited by lewisracing; 01-20-2012 at 9:07 AM..
Old 03-22-2012, 12:36 PM

Default Costa Ludus Challenge Coin

Look what came in the mail today...

Chris told us we would be getting one sent, true to his word mine came in the mail today. Can't wait to earn another in the near future. The quality and detail are amazing.

Thanks Chris!

Old 03-22-2012, 3:12 PM

Nice. I see yours and I double that since I took Chris's first two classes on his own.

Old 03-22-2012, 4:56 PM

By chance does anyone know what IWB holster Costa was using for his 1911?

Thanks
Old 03-22-2012, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin794 View Post

By chance does anyone know what IWB holster Costa was using for his 1911?
Costa uses Raven Concealment Systems holsters:

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/hols...cr/acr-holster

http://www.ravenconcealment.com/acce...ar-accessories

Last edited by ramzar; 03-22-2012 at 5:13 PM..
Old 03-24-2012, 6:15 AM

Old 03-29-2012, 1:54 PM

Last edited by lewisracing; 03-29-2012 at 1:57 PM..