Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Calgunners in Service
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calgunners in Service This forum is a place for our active duty and deployed members to share, request and have a bit of home where ever they are.

Old 01-11-2012, 6:01 PM
Default I'm thinking of going AirForce Reserve

I'm 28, have a wife, a son and a house payment. My bills are roughly 3k a month. Is there any way I can earn that kind of money While in basic and then training for my job? I'm thinking I want to be a combat controller. How long is the training for that? Can a reservist even do that?
Thanks for any advise you can offer.
" Im going coning"
Old 01-11-2012, 6:32 PM

I'm going to assume that you will be coming in as an E-2. Hate to say this but the Air Force is picky about their people and generally choose people with very high scores. The answer to your questions was easily obtained through google with the exception of BAH since people won't know about that.

Basic Pay: $1,671 (for E-2 less than 2 yrs)

BAH (Basic allowance housing) $2040 (zip 94513)

So roughly you'll make about $3,711

As far as the combat controller position

Last edited by Linh; 01-11-2012 at 6:37 PM..
Old 12-07-2013, 8:58 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Nope! Not going to make much money in the reserves. You will make decent money if you sell your house and your family lives with you while you are going to a long school but eventually that ends after a few months. You can make decent money if you live outside the commuting area and you find a unit that needs your skills more than just one weekend a month. When I did weapons I could work as many weekends and extra days that I wanted.
Old 12-08-2013, 8:36 PM

If the Air Force is like the Army, you will only get 50% of the “nation wide average” BAH while in training as a reservist.

Make sure the recruiter can show you the documentation to validate what you will get.