Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 01-10-2012, 5:23 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Cutting down Mossberg shotgun barrel

Hey guys

I have a old mossberg 500 with a 28 modified choke barrel with a bridge and a 30 inch full choke barrel with bridge. i would like to cut down the 28 inch barrel so I need to measure it. Now do I just measure off 8 inches from the tip to make it a 20 inch or does the measurement get taken from the end of the barrel where it meets the receiver? I have a slow cutting band saw and i can file down the end. Thinking of cutting it to a 20 inch or maybe a 18 1/2 to make myself a Combo shotgun. ( or whatever the nearest flush cut with the bridge meets the barrel measurement) I don't want to go and buy a 18 1/2 barrel if I can simply cut the one i have down.
I was thinking of setting it up in my band saw and then filing down the end.
Thanks

i just want to make sure where the measurement is taken from. I assume its fro the end of the chamber where the back of the shell sits right? Or is the chamber not counted and you measure say 20 inch plus the 3 inch shell for a total of 23 inch length.
Old 01-10-2012, 5:26 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Close the chamber(empty!). Insert a long stick into the barrel. When the stick stops, mark where the end of the barrel is on the stick. Done.
Old 01-10-2012, 5:41 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Got it. Measure from end of chamber to desired length. Im gonna go next closest bridge section from 20 inch
Thanks
Old 01-10-2012, 6:55 PM
Calguns Addict

Just me, but I'd cut the full choke. The 28" modified is the superior overall hunting configuration..

A little cold blue on the cut section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
I won't.
I sign the dotted line and wrote a blank check to my country (RIP) back in the 1980s payable up to and including my life.
Back then I had a country worth defending, if Russia or China were to invade tomorrow I'll laugh.
#Blackolivesmatter
Old 01-10-2012, 9:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
Just me, but I'd cut the full choke. The 28" modified is the superior overall hunting configuration..

A little cold blue on the cut section.
I always thought it would be the other way around due to the tighter choke pellets more bunched for longer distance right? The gun is basically for bird shot not slug use. Thanks for any info
Old 01-10-2012, 9:56 PM
Veteran Member

Before you cut it down, think of the cost. 18.5" barrels sell for 70-95 dollars, 28" mod choke barrels sell for $130 dollars, a used barrel could probably fetch $100 easily, probably (depending on condition) up to $120. Why not sell the 28" buy a 18.5" and have a few bucks left over?

Just IMO...
Though the cause of evil prosper, yet the truth alone is strong; Though her portion be the scaffold, and upon the throne be wrong; Yet that scaffold sways the future, and behind the dim unknown, Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above His own.

Whatever doesn't kill me... better start running.
Old 01-10-2012, 9:58 PM
Calguns Addict

I think you'll find that except for turkey hunting and some 27 yard trap shooters, few use full choke much anymore. I know I don't. Modern shotshells hold tighter patterns than the shells of yesteryear when full chokes were king. Modified is for sure more popular. The 28" you'll find is more popular as well. Modified is also the tightest which Foster type slugs should be fired.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Dave View Post
I won't.
I sign the dotted line and wrote a blank check to my country (RIP) back in the 1980s payable up to and including my life.
Back then I had a country worth defending, if Russia or China were to invade tomorrow I'll laugh.
#Blackolivesmatter
Old 01-11-2012, 10:12 AM
CGSSA Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post
Before you cut it down, think of the cost. 18.5" barrels sell for 70-95 dollars, 28" mod choke barrels sell for $130 dollars, a used barrel could probably fetch $100 easily, probably (depending on condition) up to $120. Why not sell the 28" buy a 18.5" and have a few bucks left over?

Just IMO...
this.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by repubconserv View Post

Just IMO...
Ya might have to buy a magazine to go w/ the shorter barrel depending on the model.
Mossberg makes the combo kit w/ 2 barrel & one magazine.
I had the 18.5" model & wanted a 28" barrel for Trap. The 18.5" barrell used a different magazine than the 28". So I bought a magazine after I had bought the barrel. Got it from Gunparts Co. Not an unreasonable amount of $$ IIRC.

I can change barrel & magazine in about 3 minutes.

Boycott Guns Fishing & Other Stuff in Vacaville!

Tis better to have Trolled & lost, Than to never have Trolled, at all.

Member: NRA, CRPA, IDPA, Diablo Rod & Gun, Local 39
Old 01-11-2012, 2:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceflinch View Post
Ya might have to buy a magazine to go w/ the shorter barrel depending on the model.
Mossberg makes the combo kit w/ 2 barrel & one magazine.
I had the 18.5" model & wanted a 28" barrel for Trap. The 18.5" barrell used a different magazine than the 28". So I bought a magazine after I had bought the barrel. Got it from Gunparts Co. Not an unreasonable amount of $$ IIRC.

I can change barrel & magazine in about 3 minutes.
It's usually the standard 5 rd mag. But if OP has different cap tube, then yes cutting down the barrel might be easier. If it is the 5 rd though, I would just buy an 18.5"
Though the cause of evil prosper, yet the truth alone is strong; Though her portion be the scaffold, and upon the throne be wrong; Yet that scaffold sways the future, and behind the dim unknown, Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above His own.

Whatever doesn't kill me... better start running.
Old 01-11-2012, 7:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

its the 5 shot tube basic mossberg 500 with the threaded end for the barrel nut. its like the Big 5 combo shotguns but this one is not a Big 5 combo. Im cutting it down to have the flexibility of the short and longer barrel. granted I have a dedicated hunting shotgun so its not needed. its so old its more of a here shoot this and if it gets a scratch meh no big deal. I thought the 18.5 barrels were more for some reason i saw the price at $150 so i thought screw that Ill just chop this one barrel up. I guess I can go looking for a 18.5 barrel
Thanks for the info guys
Old 01-11-2012, 7:50 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Just buy a 20" barrel.

Proud Life Member: National Rifle Association and the Second Amendment Foundation.

Disappointed Life Member: California Rifle & Pistol Association