Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 01-10-2012, 11:22 AM
Default Need recomendation for a laser bore sight for M&P 15-22

I just got a Vortex StrikeFire Red Dot optic for my M&P 15-22. I'm interested in getting a bore sight to help me get my red dot dialed in.

I've seen some cheap bore sights on Amazon but I don't want to get stuck with something that doesn't work. I also don't want to pay a fortune for something that I'll probably only use once.

Also, I've seem ones that mount on the end of the barrel. Would that type work with my A2 compensator or would something that goes in the breech be a better choice?
Old 01-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Veteran Member

You can do what most of us do.... barrel-sight it in.

Take the upper of and place it on a stand so it doesn't move. Aim it towards an object at whatever range you want (I dialed in my 15-22 to an object 25 yards away since most of my 15-22 shooting is no further than that, and probably closer). Look through the barrel and then sight in your red dot. You can do the same with iron sights as well. Then put the upper back onto the lower and go to the range and test it, and make any fine-tune adjustments as needed.

Much better than using a bore sighter, since those may not always emit the laser in a straight line.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:54 PM

Yep, I second the above. Rough bore-sight it in at 25 yards. It's quite logical actually, the trick is to try and keep the barrel steady when you move your eye from barrel to red-dot, then keep bringing the red dot to the location you're sighting through the barrel.

I sighted my mosin red dot it this way, took it to 50 yards, and was dead on.
Old 01-10-2012, 1:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Laser boresighters are a WASTE of time and money. Either pull the bolt and boresight it or, use the one shot zero meathod.
NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun and Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
California DOJ Certified Fingerprint Roller
Ventura County approved CCW Instructor

Offering low cost private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

Old 01-10-2012, 3:06 PM

I would put my money in a decent bag set up to shoot from. Then shoot a piece of paper and hold the gun still on your new bags while you turn the adjustment to put the dot on the hole. Rimfire is so cheap why worry about a couple of "extra" shots to get sighted in. Rimfire is not rocket science you can get it going without the gadget.