Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California 2nd Amend. Political Discussion & Activism Discuss gun rights activism and 2A related political topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 01-03-2012, 8:40 PM
Veteran Member

Question OLL legal question and AW classification question

***Not sure if I posted in the right sub-forum, mods feel free to move to correct location***

I learned an hour ago that a really good friend is making the mistake of moving to CA from AZ(work and family).

I know CA law pretty well, but he stumpped me here.

He has a few stags AR's, M1A in a sage stock.
His question is this:

Can he disable the ability to accept a magazine until he can purchase bullet buttons? By disabling, I mean disassembling the mag release, but still maintaining his rifle in whole. His rifle would not be considered a detachable magazine if the magazine does not stay in the rifle without him physically holding a mag in place? With the M1A, he would take the trigger group out rendering it unfireable?

What do the experts suggest?
Old 01-03-2012, 8:58 PM

You can buy a Bullet Button from Brownells, or from dozens of vendors for that matter. Really, he should just slap one on there before he comes since A) he'll be doing so anyway and B) the legality of what you proposed is vague, and thus, ya know, dangerous in place like CA. good luck with that though.
Old 01-03-2012, 8:59 PM

Well it's not that hard to buy a bullet button. That said, for the ARs he can just take the upper off the lower and then it's no longer a semi-automatic centerfire rifle.

For the M1A, remove the flash hider and stock.
Old 01-03-2012, 9:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

For the M1A, I think that you can remove the pistol grip/telestock assembly and replace it with a Choate Rem 1100 buttstock.
"It is a ghastly but tenable proposition that the world is now ruled by the insane, whose increasing plurality will, in a few more generations, make probable the incarceration of all sane people born among them."--Clark Ashton Smith
"Every time a pro-terrorist Tranzi hangs, an angel gets his wings."--Tom Kratman
Old 01-03-2012, 9:05 PM
No, I am not a Moderator!

Disabled magazine releases get uncomfortably close to "broken AW." It's better to just disassemble as discussed above until he can correctly Californicate.

-Gene

DONATE NOW
to support the rights of California gun owners. Follow @CalgunsFdn on Twitter.
Opinions posted in this account are my own and not the approved position of any organization.
I read PMs. But, if you need a response, include an email address or email me directly!

"The problem with being a gun rights supporter is that the left hates guns and the right hates rights." -Anon
Old 01-03-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Connors View Post
For the M1A, I think that you can remove the pistol grip/telestock assembly and replace it with a Choate Rem 1100 buttstock.
...and you MUST remove the flash hider.