Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 57 7.99%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 474 66.48%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 17 2.38%
I paid too much for my Membership! 34 4.77%
They will go out of business this year! 18 2.52%
Don't want anything to do with them! 113 15.85%
Voters: 713. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2013, 8:12 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorax3 View Post
Looks like they are running the same promo they did a year or two ago /w firearms for selling enough memberships.

Will be interesting for people trying to get the firearms now, vs. the people who have been buying memberships over the last few months for less.
Well some people will be happy that membership prices are a lot higher, 5X now.

It was one of our own CalGunner who sold the most memberships, won the safe and received the Founder's award in 2012.
Old 08-21-2013, 8:22 AM
Calguns Addict

I haven't seen much posting from mp for a while now, is he still around
WTT 45 ammo
KZ1000 Police Motorcycle
Movado His/Her Watches
Front Sight 4-Day Handgun $99
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates
Old 08-22-2013, 8:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmorgan View Post
Been waiting about a year. Last time I got a "report" four months ago my order was "in process" but there were many ahead of me. Sent an inquiry about three weeks ago and haven't gotten an answer. I'm kind of loosing my patience...
Well it's been well over a year since I participated in the FMK promo. I did get one back around January... but I'm still waiting on the engraved one... which I've been waiting on since Sep/Oct since I submitted my paperwork for engraving. I sent an email a week or so ago, and got a reply... but no definitive ETA... just that FMK has the the work order.

I emailed FMK to inquire about the 'fast action trigger'... from what I'm reading, I think if you live in CA or MA, they do not include the FAT in order to comply with state law... But I'm willing to purchase the kit to upgrade it myself (which I believe is legal to do). I'm hoping it will improve the reliability of the FMK and actually make it useful. I fired about 30rds through it when I got it and encountered about 4 type 2 malfunctions (failure to eject). The trigger pull was so painfully slow it made it hard for me to aim (guess I'm just not used to it). Mags won't drop free when you hit the mag release either. Right now the gun sucks IMO. I'm tempted to just leave 1 in each car with my 'get home' bag, but not sure I'd want to rely on it. Anyway, FMK still has not responded to my inquiry.

Liberty Tree->Diamond+Alaska->Ambassador->Executive->Guardian->Patron->Commander

PM me for class or membership information.
Old 08-25-2013, 6:45 PM

FMK's "FAT" (ie: Glock-like) trigger is being sold where legal but I haven't been able to get anything like a straight answer on when/where/how kits can be bought. The basic DA trigger is heavy compared to a Glock or something similar, but really isn't too bad by the standards of a DA revolver. At least according to current law, changing out the trigger should be legal here in CA, but who knows what the end-state of the latest round of Sacramento Stupidity will be.

From what I've read, FMK pistols are like early Kel-Tec product: expect a long break-in or do a "fluff-n-buff" to polish out the rough spots. Also, try using grease rather than oil to lube the slide. I've found that often does wonders for "sluggish" automatics.

The Truth will set you free, but first it will make you damn mad!

Old Scottish proverb:

If ya' cinna' drive the fooging trook, dinna buy the fooging trook!
Old 08-25-2013, 9:03 PM

A while back, I was thinking about buying in on the FS/FMK deal, but I couldn't find many good reviews about the FMK.
Best purchase I never made.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:55 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm there next week, Sep 2/3/4/5, anyone else?
taking all the armorer course, wife taking the hand/hand & edged weapons courses.
WTT 45 ammo
KZ1000 Police Motorcycle
Movado His/Her Watches
Old 08-26-2013, 4:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
I'm there next week, Sep 2/3/4/5, anyone else?
taking all the armorer course, wife taking the hand/hand & edged weapons courses.
Unless you are going to purchase the armorer's manuals offered by FS, I think having an exploded parts diagram of the guns you will be working on is helpful for novice folks.
Old 08-26-2013, 4:08 PM
Calguns Addict

I dont think i have those manuals.. I'll have to grab an exploded glock diagram at work, I think i have AR exploded. I'll have to find one for xd and 1911
you have any good references for any of them?
WTT 45 ammo
KZ1000 Police Motorcycle
Movado His/Her Watches
Old 08-26-2013, 6:19 PM

Quote:
I dont think i have those manuals.. I'll have to grab an exploded glock diagram at work, I think i have AR exploded. I'll have to find one for xd and 1911
you have any good references for any of them?

Tripper, i'll see you there! I'm going out for 1911 and ar15 armorer, then SG skill builder, and finally rifle skill builder.

Any other tips for the armorer courses?

"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the great struggle for independence."
Charles Austin Beard
Old 08-26-2013, 6:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtf83 View Post
Tripper, i'll see you there! I'm going out for 1911 and ar15 armorer, then SG skill builder, and finally rifle skill builder.

Any other tips for the armorer courses?
I took some of the classes in August. Here are some comments.

* Make sure you are ammo/dummy round free when going through weapons check and when attending the class.
* Have a plan to keep track of your parts. Little trays, magnetic tray, etc. Looking for lost parts is not much fun.
* Have a good light for looking for parts. They can be tough to find on the carpet. If you have spare parts, bring them in case.
* A magnet can be helpful for finding parts on the carpet, assuming they are magnetic.
* I would have liked to see a laminated one-page reference sheet on each gun that included: exploded view with parts labeled, field stripping instructions, and the sequence for dis-assembly/assembly. If you want a armorer's manual for the class, I suggest getting them before the class.
* Depending on how much you want to assemble/disassemble your gun, bring stuff to clean them and lubricate them. If you want to update parts, bring them with you. A few shop rags come in handy.
* The gun shop has some parts available and offers gunsmithing services for getting problems repair . . . bring money in case.
* If you have a gunsmithing mat to work on, bring it. The corrugated plastic squares are not ideal.
* I think the 1911 and AR-15 classes are the toughest. They are kind of a class of firearms with lots of variations so it is not as homogenous as the Glock and XD classes.
* Be sure to bring what you need to get your gun apart. For example, I forgot the little take-down tool for my compact 1911. No good.

In general, the classes are well done. At time is can be difficult to hear depending one what the other class attendees are doing with their guns.

Nothing to revolutionary but a few thoughts on the class. Have a great class.

Last edited by AAShooter; 08-26-2013 at 6:42 PM..
Old 08-27-2013, 4:19 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

The Official Front Sight Dry Practice App

http://www.drypractice.com/index.html

Only $99.99
Old 08-27-2013, 6:04 PM
Veteran Member

I have the beat version of the app installed. Supposedly it's going to stop working in a few weeks but for now, I'll continue using it. I guess that's one of the benefits of Android, you can easily side load apps.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:06 PM

So what does the app do?
I can't imaging how do you dry practice on a phone.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:18 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugiahua View Post
So what does the app do?
From the website

What is the Front Sight Dry Practice App?

The Dry Practice App is a mobile app that places a voice controlled "Front Sight instructor" into your mobile device.

On the firing line at a Front Sight Handgun Course, Front Sight's Range Masters provide verbal instructions for the student to follow; the Dry Practice App works the same way.

The Dry Practice App waits for your voice command to continue between each drill. Because users can proceed at their own pace, they each receive a customized experience.

For example, if you are slow with your type 3 malfunction clearance, the app won't leave you behind. It will wait for you to verbally tell it to continue.

As an additional benefit of the "continue on verbal command" feature, you get to keep your hands free to manipulate your weapon, just like you would at Front Sight.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugiahua View Post
So what does the app do?
The app talks to you and it even times you. It's the handbook but in electronic version. It uses the same "beep" as the shooting events uses and it even tells you, "shooter ready, stand by.... Beep" it's actually pretty cool. I wouldn't pay $99 though. What the heck were they thinking?

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 1020
Old 08-28-2013, 10:30 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk556 View Post
The app talks to you and it even times you. It's the handbook but in electronic version. It uses the same "beep" as the shooting events uses and it even tells you, "shooter ready, stand by.... Beep" it's actually pretty cool. I wouldn't pay $99 though. What the heck were they thinking?
For $99.99 it comes with a Two Day Defensive Handgun Course Certificate.

Hope they will offer a "certificate-less" version at a highly reduced rate... more like 99 cents for the Android version and $9.99 for the Apple!
Old 08-29-2013, 8:48 AM

I agree, good app but toooooo pricey. I wonder if my 40% discount applies?
I suppose they have to generate money somehow....I'll stick to the published Master Prep test and a timer.
You never rise to the occassion, you only sink to your lowest level of training" Unknown.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:13 AM
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MossbergMan View Post
can I use my Iggy bucks?

Quote:
I'll stick to the published Master Prep test and a timer.
the Dry Practice Drill App on my Android works good enough for me and it was free.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1161083
OD Green Glock 22 for sale, $525

Do you want an AOW or C&R SBS/SBR in CA?

FrontSight Training Course certificates available $25, PM for details on them and other options.
No posts of mine are to be construed as legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:14 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MossbergMan View Post
I suppose they have to generate money somehow....I'll stick to the published Master Prep test and a timer.
I doubt FS discounts and FS-bucks are honored. The company offering this is not Front Sight. I wondering if they are paying royalties to FS for their name.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:35 AM

I've been working on a 'Dry Practice' iPhone app here and there in my freetime (I'm a programmer for a living, so I haven't spent too much time on it.

Mine covers all the Front Sight stuff, but is also configurable. It is also heavily focused on interaction with AppleTV to create a virtual shooting range (target scaling to simulate distance, flipping/rotating, target styles, etc)

I talked to Front Sight about licensing the use of their target if I released it as a paid app - They wanted pretty heavy royalties and a measure of control. FS Licensing issue + concerns over someone shooting their TV...I'll probably never release it...
Old 08-29-2013, 3:04 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Here is a FREE Android Dry practice app that I think was created by a FS student.

Google Play Link for Sartuga Dry Practice Drill App
Old 08-30-2013, 7:16 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

What does everyone think about the opening lines of IP's latest emails?

Early this morning it was:

"My meeting with the Developers and Resort Management Company went extremely well today as we move forward with to complete the NEW Front Sight."

Yesterdays email stated:

"I am meeting TODAY with the Developers and Resort Management Company that we are moving forward with to complete the NEW Front Sight."

and then there is this line:

"Upon the grand opening of the NEW Front Sight, we will no longer sell memberships. "

Old 08-30-2013, 7:33 PM

All I know / hope is it finally goes through. When my wife and I joined originally, a long time ago, for a lot, we we given 4 certificates for a week each of a two bedroom time share AND the ability to use ALL the money we paid for those memberships towards the purchase of a condo, so we would be sitting pretty.

Ace, how's your son doing? Been back to front sight since the forth?

Commander of Front Sight Member
Old 08-30-2013, 7:39 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCU1670 View Post
All I know / hope is it finally goes through. When my wife and I joined originally, a long time ago, for a lot, we we given 4 certificates for a week each of a two bedroom time share AND the ability to use ALL the money we paid for those memberships towards the purchase of a condo, so we would be sitting pretty.

Ace, how's your son doing? Been back to front sight since the forth?
Hope it works out for you and all of us. We are planning another family trip to FS maybe around the November time frame.
Old 08-30-2013, 7:44 PM
Veteran Member

I bet he says they won't sell memberships just so that people can buy memberships NOW before they run out.
Old 08-30-2013, 7:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegunnr View Post
Hope it works out for you and all of us. We are planning another family trip to FS maybe around the November time frame.
Great! Donna and I will be in Florida at that time, planning on taking a course or two at gander mountain, and at the police hall of fame. Whenever we are near a gander mountsin, we book some time in their 300 degree simulator.

Have fun!

Old 08-30-2013, 9:48 PM
Calguns Addict

Anyone other than jrtf going next week
I'm heading out Sunday
Taking armorer courses
Wife taking empty hand and edged weapon

Wow, I don't need to spend money in ammo
WTT 45 ammo
KZ1000 Police Motorcycle
Movado His/Her Watches
Old 08-31-2013, 10:58 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Hi,will appreciate any advice on the weather around the last week of September at the training site.
Thinking of 4days handgun training but not sure on how unbearable the temp will be in that desert.
Thanks
Old 09-01-2013, 8:20 AM
Calguns Addict

I'll post weather for this week
WTT 45 ammo
KZ1000 Police Motorcycle
Movado His/Her Watches
Old 09-01-2013, 2:09 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I'll post weather for this week
Can you post ammo prices too? Thanks! Drive safe and have great time!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-01-2013, 2:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by acegunnr View Post
Can you post ammo prices too? Thanks! Drive safe and have great time!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
The ammo place wasn't open when I was out at FS for the armorer's classes. The store in town might be.
Old 09-01-2013, 2:41 PM
Calguns Addict

I'll check bass pro and FS for ammo
You want some FS ammo if have?
I think 9/40 was 21/box last I was there but I think it was posted since then for 28/box of 50
WTT 45 ammo
KZ1000 Police Motorcycle
Movado His/Her Watches
Old 09-01-2013, 3:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Anyone need manuals while I'm here?
WTT 45 ammo
KZ1000 Police Motorcycle
Movado His/Her Watches
Old 09-02-2013, 7:59 AM

I'm an Ambassador, have given away a bunch of diamond/ambassador memberships to my friends as gifts. (in the hopes that we'll split travel costs in the future).

Going to my first FS courses this month. 9/9/13 4D Shotgun, 9/13/13 4D Pistol, then 2D skills builder (pistol or shotgun, haven't decided), another 4D Pistol, and potentially the 4D Practical Rifle (which would mean skipping the last day of 4D pistol). My hope is to G at least one of the classes this trip.

Trying to decide between a Glock 19 and a Sig X-Five Tactical (SAO) for the pistol; taking a pair of each and holsters for each. Mossberg 590A1s for the shotgun classes (undecided if I should Knox stock). Sig 556 SWAT for the rifle -- I only have a Garand .308, a Sig 556, and an M1A Socom II, so I don't have as much choice there. Clearly I need another AR.
Old 09-02-2013, 8:39 AM

Is one type of shotgun better for taking the shotgun class at FS? Pump vs. semi-auto?
Old 09-02-2013, 4:51 PM

I dg,ed with an 870, but an auto is faster. In all the classes I have taken or my wife, weight of weapon seems what people complain about most. The weapon gets a bit heavy days 3 and 4.

Old 09-02-2013, 5:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Ammo not open
Posted prices were
19/21/23 for 50 rounds 9/40/45
17 for 20 rounds 556
WTT 45 ammo
KZ1000 Police Motorcycle
Movado His/Her Watches
Old 09-03-2013, 10:49 AM
Calguns Addict

About 75 students in the empty hand course
75 students in the glock armorer
Maybe 50 for the xd armorer

Nice weather today
Started to rain just a bit this morning, but just sprinkled a bit, probably attributing to the cooler weather
Edit: it still got into 90s by noon
WTT 45 ammo
KZ1000 Police Motorcycle
Movado His/Her Watches

Last edited by Tripper; 09-03-2013 at 3:45 PM..
Old 09-04-2013, 5:46 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm in the back right corner, 3 tables in
Be in the same spot tomorrow
Edit:
Someone stole my seat
Front right now
WTT 45 ammo
KZ1000 Police Motorcycle
Movado His/Her Watches

Last edited by Tripper; 09-05-2013 at 7:05 AM..
Old 09-05-2013, 8:43 PM

@ RDL: if its your first trip to FS, I'd go with the Glock for the first 4DHG. Less stuff to manipulate as you go through the course.
If you DG with it and are doing a second HG course, then switch to the Sig.