Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

View Poll Results: What are your feelings about Front Sight?
Great Training for Beginners Only. 59 8.16%
Great Training Beginner and Advanced. 479 66.25%
The Quality of Training is Going Down Hill. 17 2.35%
I paid too much for my Membership! 34 4.70%
They will go out of business this year! 18 2.49%
Don't want anything to do with them! 116 16.04%
Voters: 723. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2013, 5:36 PM

9mm was $26/box this weekend
Old 05-19-2013, 6:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
9mm was $26/box this weekend
Dang
Went up a bit then
WTT 45 ammo
KZ1000 Police Motorcycle
Movado His/Her Watches
Front Sight 4-Day Handgun $99
PM about Front Sight Lifetime Memberships or Training Certificates
Old 05-21-2013, 5:40 AM

Location: I did notice how far over I've moved this part of my info. I tried it, and it was fun.

Are you guys keeping current with the new FS transfer fees? Looks like for the next week or two there is no charge but that is going to change I guess. Are you guys unloading your memberships or what?
Old 05-21-2013, 6:36 AM

He has not said that the No fee option has an expiration. But, yes I am unloading as many as I can.

PM me for class certificates
Old 05-21-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
Anyone going for
May 29, 2-day Handgun Skill Builder
I'll be there with a couple associates from work
My wife and I will be there. Hope the heat is not too bad.
Old 05-21-2013, 1:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallfornoone View Post
Are you guys keeping current with the new FS transfer fees? Looks like for the next week or two there is no charge but that is going to change I guess. Are you guys unloading your memberships or what?
As quick as I can. I don't believe they have set a date on when the transfer fees will kick in, but with the last round of wishy washy emails and policy changes, seems like any semblance of policy stability went out the window. At this point if you go once to FS, you have easily recouped the cost of a diamond membership. If you can use the membership to it's potential it is a flat out bargain.

Cheers,

Scott
Old 05-21-2013, 6:44 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

In case anyone wants to know what the current turnaround times are for the new membership transfer process:

Email confirmation of membership transfer: Instant

Membership materials received via mail:
Old 05-22-2013, 9:59 AM

Yes the new system has made it very quick to assign memberships.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:31 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryect View Post
He has not said that the No fee option has an expiration. But, yes I am unloading as many as I can.
Actually he flip flopped and went from no transfer fees for TBD... to eventually there will be a transfer fee, but for now none and you should have plenty of time... to $100 transfer fees for TBD memberships, however, he's giving the option for him to pay the transfer fee for us (for now). That's actually a slick move by the Doc... because I'm thinking that perhaps he's claiming that as a loss when it comes to taxes. Another smart move by him was to offer to match a TBD membership if the buyer or seller paid the transfer fee (till the end of the month). Anyway, who knows how much longer he'll be paying for the transfers.

As annoying as his marketing is... I guess there is a method to his madness. If every member did do their part and get 1 transfer fee paid, then he'd generate $10 million for the expansion/upgrade project. I made a mad rush to get mine sold/assigned. I transferred 15 memberships in the last few weeks... 12 of them diamonds. I've sold another 4 diamonds via his transfer promotion... so I helped generate $400 for Front Sight while getting my ***** back in the positive in terms of $ invested in his various promotions.

He should match any TBD membership transferred (with a paid fee), with a tbd diamond... so all of us Ambassadors that have multiple Patriot or Legacy memberships, could literally give them away and have the takers pay the $100 transfer fee... but then we'd be rewarded with a diamond for us to sell. :-)

Liberty Tree->Diamond+Alaska->Ambassador->Executive->Guardian->Patron->Commander

PM me for class or membership information.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:51 PM

Hey guys, been to FS a few times and have always stayed and the Saddle West. Will be going again later this year and thinking about the Best Western this time. Does anyone have input on the Best Western?
“To prohibit a citizen from wearing or carrying arm… is an unwarranted restriction upon the constitutional right to keep and bear arms. If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows and not by a general deprivation of constitutional privilege.”

- Wilson vs. State
Old 05-24-2013, 1:13 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Personally, I think the two are pretty comparable. Some features of one appeal more to some than others. I have stayed at both and like both.
Old 05-24-2013, 3:25 PM
Calguns Addict

My wife really doesn't like saddle west, it's smokey

I don't mind it, I can wade through the smoke into the breakfast bar just fine

My last trip (2weeks ago) a guy on my range was talking about his room being full of ants, I haven't experienced such a thing myself

$50/night as a frontsight first family member and includes 2 free buffet breakfast tickets per day
WTT 45 ammo
KZ1000 Police Motorcycle
Movado His/Her Watches

Last edited by Tripper; 05-24-2013 at 3:28 PM..
Old 05-24-2013, 4:08 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinguru View Post
Hey guys, been to FS a few times and have always stayed and the Saddle West. Will be going again later this year and thinking about the Best Western this time. Does anyone have input on the Best Western?
Best Western has nicer rooms. Saddle West has the better buffet. Both aren't plush but at $50-$60 a night, I sleep just fine.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-24-2013, 4:35 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

My Diamond membership was just activated today.. can't wait to go but it seems like they don't do classes there in July and August..

I race at Spring Mountain, so I'm familiar with the lovely town of Pahrump..
"Unless we keep the barbarian virtues, gaining the civilized ones will be of little avail. Oversentimentality, oversoftness, washiness, and mushiness are the great dangers of this age and of this people." Theodore Roosevelt

Member: Patron member NRA, lifetime member SAF, CRPA, Guardian Front Sight
Old 05-24-2013, 5:11 PM

Used to be after the 4th of July night courses, they closed down for a few months because of the heat. Now, they offer indoor things like empty hand defense and edged weapons, both good.

On a side note, when my wife and I go up this fourth, we will try the trailers at the winery.

Front Sight Heritage Member
Old 05-26-2013, 8:09 AM

Been a member for 3 yrs. Now a certified Ambassador.(paid almost $1500 for that last yr when it was announced) Took 4 day DHG in March and thought it was fantastic. FS may not be the crown jewel, I have wondered where they are headed more than once, but I believe they will survive and become dominant in weapons training at a time when we, as a nation, have HUGE social and gov issues! For LCU....1968-1970 YFU61 was my home out of DaNang.
Old 05-26-2013, 8:14 AM

Has anybody else who's been going over a few years seen a lot of instructor turnover recently? When I went last weekend, i didn't see a lot of familiar faces among the instructors.

I hope it was just an off weekend.
Old 05-26-2013, 9:59 AM

Smile Diamond Member

MEMBERSHIP TYPE: DIAMOND
MEMBERSHIP DATE: 2012
COURSES TAKEN: 4 DDHG
NEXT COURSE: 4 DDHG

I really enjoyed the defense handgun course and learned a lot about shooting. My brother-in-law and nephew are also Diamond members and we attend together. Prior to Front Sight I only shot once or twice a year. I'm retired and plan on attending 2 to 3 times a year and am looking forward to attending the 4 day rife course with my AR-15 in the future.
Old 05-26-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joecd View Post
NEXT COURSE: 4 DDHG

I really enjoyed the defense handgun course and learned a lot about shooting. My brother-in-law and nephew are also Diamond members and we attend together. Prior to Front Sight I only shot once or twice a year. I'm retired and plan on attending 2 to 3 times a year and am looking forward to attending the 4 day rife course with my AR-15 in the future.

Welcome. I hope you have a great time.

Old 05-27-2013, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmerjack View Post
Been a member for 3 yrs. Now a certified Ambassador.(paid almost $1500 for that last yr when it was announced) Took 4 day DHG in March and thought it was fantastic. FS may not be the crown jewel, I have wondered where they are headed more than once, but I believe they will survive and become dominant in weapons training at a time when we, as a nation, have HUGE social and gov issues! For LCU....1968-1970 YFU61 was my home out of DaNang.
Welcome!

Old 05-27-2013, 5:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Has anybody else who's been going over a few years seen a lot of instructor turnover recently? When I went last weekend, i didn't see a lot of familiar faces among the instructors.

I hope it was just an off weekend.
My wife and I have been going there for a long time, and they do go through a lot of instructors, I don't know why. I am semi-retired and go to FS a lot with my wife, we have been asked a lot of times to become instructors but we have not taken them up on the offers because of the turnover. We noticed once an instructor has left, you very rarely come back as a student. We do help the instructors when they ask us if some of the New students are having a hard time, or maybe a little unsafe until they get it down.

Old 05-27-2013, 5:42 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Unfortunately the compensation for most range help is such that your are basically covering expenses. Although I am sure you go through a lot of personal development, the pay basically covers your expenses unless you live locally. As such, you have to be pretty committed to teach there. If you are one of the range masters, then the pay starts to be significant.
Old 05-27-2013, 8:29 AM
Calguns Addict

I was discussing with my wife about instructors the other day
My thoughts are
at max, they can currently have 20 ranges going, each needing 2 instructors plus 1 range master, 60 instructors for a 2 day course
The need will of course drop off for days 3 and 4, and if course on a slow class period might only have 5 ranges going needing only 15 instructors, they don't keep those extra 45 hanging around
So, they probably have 150 or so 'on call' and just go down a list to fill slots based on the roster being set 2 weeks in advance.
The instructors you've seen may still be instructors but just didn't make it that week, the slow week instructors are probably your full time ones.
I don't always recognize all the instructors I've had but it seems I always see the range masters that ive had every time I am there
So I figure he has a lot 'on call' that probably do it for the fun and experience or the perks more than the money
Oh, those numbers don't even consider the support staff or classes other than handgun
WTT 45 ammo
KZ1000 Police Motorcycle
Movado His/Her Watches
Old 05-27-2013, 9:34 AM
CGN Contributor

Last year I was told there are over 500 instructors. Many don't really work though.

Some of the part time guys work when they want. "I'm going to be around there at such and such time..."
Old 05-27-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM6000 View Post
Last year I was told there are over 500 instructors. Many don't really work though.

Some of the part time guys work when they want. "I'm going to be around there at such and such time..."
That's what one instructor told us. Many are part time and tell FS when they are available to teach a class.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:15 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

When I listen to the staff introduce themselves, it seems most of then are retired LE or military so they would have some sort of supplementary income. The others are either young gaining experience or have some sort of side business going. All are passionate about what they are doing and Front Sight seems to weed out all the slackers quite successfully.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD
Old 05-28-2013, 3:43 PM

NEXT COURSE: 2 Day Handgun Skill Builder Night

I signed up last year and took the 4 DDHG course with father in law and several friends. Very informative and learned a lot. I am scheduled to attend the 2 day handgun skill builder night at end of June. Some of the friends that attended with me have already been back to take shotgun and rifle courses. Look forward to making annual trips and taking other classes.
Old 05-28-2013, 5:13 PM

Someone in the know can correct me but I understand that if you choose to be an instructor at FS you have to sign an agreement that you won't teach in the surrounding states and that you can not teach FS proprietary material. Then there is the low pay. All of this may be the catalyst for the turnover.
Old 05-29-2013, 4:24 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Here is a 2011 thread about the ID course.

Just got back from the Frontsight Instructor Course
Old 05-30-2013, 8:38 AM

I was wondering how much do you think a frontsight certificate is worth for a private training day i believe they provide everything from equipment to amm and gun for the day.
Old 05-30-2013, 8:53 AM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racekar View Post
I was wondering how much do you think a frontsight certificate is worth for a private training day i believe they provide everything from equipment to amm and gun for the day.
Most certificates are for training only. They will RENT you a gun belt holster and mags/carriers. They will SELL you ammo. Unless your certificate specifically states it includes all those things then it is for training ONLY.

Look around at other trainers - usually you are looking at $125-$400 a day depending on the outfit. What does that have to do with the PRICE of a FS CERTIFICATE?

NOTHING!
Old 05-30-2013, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkt88edmo View Post
Most certificates are for training only. They will RENT you a gun belt holster and mags/carriers. They will SELL you ammo. Unless your certificate specifically states it includes all those things then it is for training ONLY.

Look around at other trainers - usually you are looking at $125-$400 a day depending on the outfit. What does that have to do with the PRICE of a FS CERTIFICATE?

NOTHING!
This is not the normal certificate its one on one certificate
From googling frontsight private training it sounded like they include ammo and equipment this with the certificate but i could be wrong.

The other certificates are just free classes with others thisin one on one thanks for the price range

Last edited by Racekar; 05-30-2013 at 10:15 AM..
Old 05-30-2013, 10:22 AM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racekar View Post
This is not the normal certificate its one on one certificate
From googling frontsight private training it sounded like they include ammo and equipment this with the certificate but i could be wrong.

The other certificates are just free classes with others thisin one on one thanks for the price range
The Certificates are usually very specific as to what they will provide and how you can sell/advertise them. If you have a question, contact the Front Sight office to make sure.

For one on one private training, I would guess $300-500 to be a great deal.
Old 06-01-2013, 1:56 PM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
CGN Contributor

Default Pipe Dream?

http://www.frontsight.com/newfrontsight/photos.asp

Old 06-02-2013, 8:23 AM

^^^

Pipe dream? I don't think so.....all you have to do is drink the kool-aid

Old 06-02-2013, 8:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinguru View Post
Just got back a couple weeks ago. Best Western was great. Very clean and they offer free breakfast.

Ammo cost went up. 9mm $31, .40 $21, .45 $23.50 per 50 rnds. They will let you dry-fire if you are low on ammo.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Old 06-02-2013, 8:58 AM

Location: I did notice how far over I've moved this part of my info. I tried it, and it was fun.

Hey emgee00 how the hell can your signature show my ip and stuff? Is that hacking software? Is my firewall not working?

Also anyone see the email about the new resort? Its a super long read (so i didn't read all) and it looks like you have to pay extra.
Old 06-02-2013, 9:07 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi-Surfer View Post
Just got back a couple weeks ago. Best Western was great. Very clean and they offer free breakfast.

Ammo cost went up. 9mm $31, .40 $21, .45 $23.50 per 50 rnds. They will let you dry-fire if you are low on ammo.
Wow
9mm more expensive than 40 and 45
And to my knowledge those are factory reloads even
WTT 45 ammo
KZ1000 Police Motorcycle
Movado His/Her Watches
Old 06-02-2013, 9:25 AM

I read the newest, latest and greatest offer EVER offered and found a few new renderings, a few new "levels of participation" but all in all it's pretty much EXACTLY what he offered FF members in the begining when there was only one FF membership (Bronze) and cost $6K 15 years ago. Then the multiple levels appeared when FS moved to NV. and Platinum members got a 99 year lease on an acre of property for a home site.....haven't seen a single house built yet.
I've been waiting for the Defensive Driving Course since 2000. Guess I'll just go to Mountain Springs Raceway and get my speed fix.
Did anyone see if the newest resort will be built next to the existing facility or elsewhere? Pictures look like the present location. And I too couldn't devote the amount of time it would take to read the entire document...I only have a 2 hour battery....
You never rise to the occassion, you only sink to your lowest level of training" Unknown.
Old 06-02-2013, 4:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
Wow
9mm more expensive than 40 and 45
And to my knowledge those are factory reloads even
45 was in Federal Target & Range White Boxes. Don't think it's reload. Yea, for once I bought one of the cheaper cals.
"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit" [Matt 28:19]

Last edited by Simi-Surfer; 06-02-2013 at 4:59 PM..