Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:09 PM

Default Looking for School or Private Instructor

I am looking for ether a marksmanship school or private instructor in ether the Bay Area (most preferred), Sacramento (least preferred), or Ventura County.

Does anyone have recommendations on a place or person? I grew up plinking and such but never had any formal training. The eventual goal would be IDPA and such competitions.

Don

Last edited by MrKiltYou; 12-22-2016 at 12:26 PM..
Old 12-22-2016, 6:03 PM

Richmond Rod and Gun runs Action pistol matches. That's probably the closest to you. The talent pool there is pretty darn strong. I can't speak to their availabilities, but you can glean a lot just by checking out matches.

In the meantime, it would behoove you to research the requirements for each discipline you wish to pursue. There are plenty of resources on the web (e.g., youtube vids) that should help you understand the basics. The most paramount is being comfortable drawing from a holster--you mentioned you plink, but it wasn't clear if you have been practicing drawing from a holster. Fortunately, you can learn a lot by practicing at home in a safe manner.

Also, the start buzzer is another aspect of the shooting sports that can be a bit weird at first. You don't really need to shell out for a timer at first, but it is nice to have some sort of start buzzer when you practice. If you have a smartphone look for a timer app. I think I have one called ipsc shot timer (apparently, my version is still in beta . . . Oh well it works)

They also run classes from time to time. I suppose it wouldn't really be one-on-one, but there is going to be a class in May. There is a post about it in the training class announcements section
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1274339

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions!
Old 12-22-2016, 6:46 PM

Intro to IPSC (USPSA) here:

http://www.richmondhotshots.com/intro_to_ipsc.html

Al
Back to owning some of those "polymer" guns.

They see me rollin'
They hatin'
Old 12-22-2016, 10:24 PM

Default Shoot steel

I to would consider paying a "pro" to look at your steel challenge team to see what we can do to I prove our game. Individually.

Last edited by 1911man; 12-22-2016 at 10:24 PM.. Reason: Info
Old 12-23-2016, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez805 View Post
Richmond Rod and Gun runs Action pistol matches. That's probably the closest to you. The talent pool there is pretty darn strong. I can't speak to their availabilities, but you can glean a lot just by checking out matches.
That is on my near term list of things to do. Checkout both the matches and the practices if they allow people to spectate the practices.

Quote:
In the meantime, it would behoove you to research the requirements for each discipline you wish to pursue. There are plenty of resources on the web (e.g., youtube vids) that should help you understand the basics. The most paramount is being comfortable drawing from a holster--you mentioned you plink, but it wasn't clear if you have been practicing drawing from a holster. Fortunately, you can learn a lot by practicing at home in a safe manner.
Right now I am looking to participate in SSP with IDPA. I might also do ESP/CDP since I have a slightly moded 1911 that does not qualify for SSP.

I don't have much experience with holster drawing at the moment. It had not been a priority for me since I can't get a CCW here and can't put it into practice at the range for the most part. But I did pickup a Blade Tech holster for my Glock 34 so I can start practicing now that I have a goal in which those skills help me.

Quote:
Also, the start buzzer is another aspect of the shooting sports that can be a bit weird at first. You don't really need to shell out for a timer at first, but it is nice to have some sort of start buzzer when you practice. If you have a smartphone look for a timer app. I think I have one called ipsc shot timer (apparently, my version is still in beta . . . Oh well it works)
That is a great point that I didn't think of. I will look into getting one. Do you happen to know if indoor or outdoor ranges allow you to use them on the lanes? I know I can really use it to record speed since rapid fire is not generally allowed. But it would be nice to practice with it regardless.

Quote:
They also run classes from time to time. I suppose it wouldn't really be one-on-one, but there is going to be a class in May. There is a post about it in the training class announcements section
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1274339

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions!
I will watch that thread. Thank you for all the helpful information!
Old 12-24-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKiltYou View Post
That is a great point that I didn't think of. I will look into getting one. Do you happen to know if indoor or outdoor ranges allow you to use them on the lanes? I know I can really use it to record speed since rapid fire is not generally allowed. But it would be nice to practice with it regardless.
A timer is even more important to practice with for daily dry fire practice. Just about anything you can practice with live fire, you can practice with dry fire. Draws, reloads, trigger press and isolation, transitions, movement etc.. all can be done dry and with a timer.
Old 12-24-2016, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Honestly, I'm not quite sure about square ranges. I'm fortunate enough to be able to practice at my local action pistol range from time to time (generally after the match is over) so I have access to a timer. I suppose it couldn't hurt to give them a call and ask.

Quote:
I will watch that thread. Thank you for all the helpful information!
No sweat.

Also, I'm digging the idea of that $25 intro class that was referenced in another post. Granted, it's geared towards USPSA, but it also gets you free entry to a USPSA match.

One of the unique aspects of IDPA is the use of a concealment garment. Some people opt for a garment (most often a vest) that is purpose built for the game. In reality, anything that meets the standards (i.e., covers your gear entirely while your arms are raised to the point that they are parallel to the ground) will do. I just use a slightly oversized rain jacket. I can't really say how much of an edge the vest will give vs. whatever you happen to have in the closet.

Whatever you end up getting: practice (safely), practice (safely), practice (safely).
Old 01-03-2017, 1:47 AM

I would first get into shooting under stress and with a timer. I did this for 6 months, shot my first uspsa match, and painfully learned that there is so much more to the sport. Took a 2 year break to train before my next match, but that's on the extreme side.

Richmond hot shots is your best bet for uspsa, but the $25 intro course is really about safety and basic rules like not breaking the 180 and other things that'll get you DQ'ed. Reeds indoor range has a good introductory league on Mondays that will be a good interim training opportunity before getting into uspsa topics like exiting hard, coming in soft, and other non-marksmanship topics

Stay safe and stay legal. You can't protect your family from within a prison cell.

NRA Certified Instructor. Feel free to ping me about ad-hoc instruction and coaching.
Old 01-03-2017, 5:19 AM
Toolmaker Extraordinaire
CGN Contributor

Go buy a steel target, find some public land Get a holster 1000 rounds of ammo and go shoot,

Practice drawing you weapon from holster slowly, it should be a five count from 1 putting your hand on the butt to 5 acquiring the sights.

Say the numbers, do the operation, by the numbers then it become force of habit. Shot one round and one round only until you can draw aim and fire and hit a standard business card. Then work on multiple targets, then work on multiple round on a single target and multiple rounds on multiple targets. Baby steps and lots of ammo.

Professional private lessons by an experienced respected shooter starts pretty damn high. like $200 for a two hour session $400 for a half day and just chock it up to a full grand for a two day weekend that provides about 12 hours of training with about 3/4 of that actual range time depending on your skill level.
The above statement i consider a term of endearment
Need prints for your build? Need reference materials for Gunsmithing projects, Click Here
I fear that even though as tough as life has been for me I have only begun to pay for my sins.
Don't forget to have your Liberals spayed or neutered !
Old 01-03-2017, 3:46 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post
Go buy a steel target, find some public land Get a holster 1000 rounds of ammo and go shoot,
It's harder to unlearn bad habits than it is to learn good ones.

Starting early with proper instruction will go a lot further than plinking in the middle of nowhere.
"there is no appreciable difference in the effectiveness of the 9mm and the .45 ACP cartridges" -Dr. Vincent JM DiMaio, Gunshot Wounds: Practical Aspects of Firearms, Ballistics, and Forensic Techniques

Don't consider this an endorsement, but you can buy Front Sight Diamond memberships off eBay for $39.
Old 01-04-2017, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post

Starting early with proper instruction will go a lot further than plinking in the middle of nowhere.
Wise words to heed.

Starting off with steel targets by itself is going to slow your progress. You are on the right track to look for a qualified instructor.

338 Lapua Magnum, CORBON, 300gr Match HPBT (160 rounds) = $940
338 LM CORBON (subsonic) 300gr Match HPBT (40 rounds) = $220
300 WinMag, Hornady 195gr BTHP Match (400 rounds in two cases) = $750
300 WinMag, Black Hills 210gr BTHP Match (120 rounds) - $250
New in package - SureFire FH762K (flash hider) $85
Old 01-05-2017, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanks View Post
A timer is even more important to practice with for daily dry fire practice. Just about anything you can practice with live fire, you can practice with dry fire. Draws, reloads, trigger press and isolation, transitions, movement etc.. all can be done dry and with a timer.
Just got it in the mail today
Old 01-05-2017, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez805 View Post
Also, I'm digging the idea of that $25 intro class that was referenced in another post. Granted, it's geared towards USPSA, but it also gets you free entry to a USPSA match.
I think I am going to take the IDPA class at the Sac gun range. They seem to be promoting IDPA more. Richmond looks like they pretty much focus on USPSA, do about 6 IDPA club matches a year and no practice sessions.
Old 01-05-2017, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by envelope View Post
I would first get into shooting under stress and with a timer. I did this for 6 months, shot my first uspsa match, and painfully learned that there is so much more to the sport. Took a 2 year break to train before my next match, but that's on the extreme side.

Richmond hot shots is your best bet for uspsa, but the $25 intro course is really about safety and basic rules like not breaking the 180 and other things that'll get you DQ'ed. Reeds indoor range has a good introductory league on Mondays that will be a good interim training opportunity before getting into uspsa topics like exiting hard, coming in soft, and other non-marksmanship topics
I think I am going to hold off on USPSA for awhile. I think right now it is a bit too fast pace for me and I could see myself getting a bad taste in my mouth on competing. I think I am going to head to the Reed's one this coming Monday and check it out. Also might do the Sac IDPA class in Feb or March.
Old 01-05-2017, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcstott View Post

Practice drawing you weapon from holster slowly, it should be a five count from 1 putting your hand on the butt to 5 acquiring the sights.
Sadly I don't know of any public land near the Bay Area in which I can just go out and shoot. But I do like this idea.
Old 01-05-2017, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post

Agreed.
Old 01-05-2017, 7:42 PM

OP you mentioned Ventura County. There is a place that would be similar distance to VC. Its Max Ordinate Academy. maxordinate.com
They have a Facebook page as well
Old 01-07-2017, 11:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Just got it in the mail today
If you have a decent one you can set up "second beep" for practicing par time drawing at home.

The way it works is that you have initial random delay (1-4s) for the first beep, then a configured second beep at, say, 3 seconds later (this is ample time to get you started slowly). You get in ready position, press the button and wait for the beep. When you hear the beep, you draw, acquire sight picture and press the trigger. The game is to do it before the second beep.

As a warm up, before you start with the timer, you can do reps of individual elements of drawing. Look up online what the elements are so you can practice each one. Some are there for efficiency, some for safety. Don't ignore the safety ones (e.g., rotating barrel forward early).

Pay particular attention to when the finger enters the trigger guard. In excitement it's way too easy to try to "cheat" by getting finger in position too early and that *will* lead to the shot to the ground or worse.
Old 01-14-2017, 10:52 PM
CGSSA Coordinator

Quote:
I think I am going to take the IDPA class at the Sac gun range. They seem to be promoting IDPA more. Richmond looks like they pretty much focus on USPSA, do about 6 IDPA club matches a year and no practice sessions.
Sacramento has a very active IDPA club. Richmond's is currently heading towards oblivion if new blood doesn't show up soon, but they are committed to finishing out the scheduled matches for 2017.

To the OP, I'm one of the New Competitor Class instructors at Richmond. I am a USPSA shooter, but I'm historically more of an IDPA shooter (although I am trying to change that). PM me if you are interested in paying for private instruction. I'm not a Master-class shooter, but I am a very experienced instructor for people looking to get involved in competitions.