Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 12-02-2017, 9:53 PM

Default Sierra Elementís intro to long range class

Today I took my first civilian firearms class and had a good experience. Precision rifles are a new field for me, and I hadnít fired anything non-belt fed past 300 meters before but was doing well today. 14 students, two very well qualified instructors with Marine sniper experience. Definitely recommended.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:40 PM
Fed Up!
CGN Contributor

Could you expand more on this please?
Very interested in LR instruction by a qualified
person or business.
-g
Old 12-02-2017, 10:44 PM
☆☆ More Cowbell ☆☆
CGN Contributor

If only we knew more...

Like where, how, when, how much, how to reach them, who are they, website, email, facebook, twitter, anything. Bring your own gun and ammo or were they provided? How long was the class, how far did you shoot, etc.

"Texans always move them!"
General Robert E. Lee, May 6, 1864 - Battle of the Wilderness
Old 12-03-2017, 9:25 AM

My initial post was admittedly skimpy on details. The instructors were Philip Velayo, an active duty Marine sniper who teaches at the sniper school, and Victor Lopez, a retired Marine sniper who currently works for the LAPDís counter terrorism department. Although Iím not using this training for military purposes I wanted to spend my money on instructors who have actually used and tested the skills they teach. The class was $160 and ran five hours from 0800 to 1300 at the former Wes Thompson range in Piru. We had one of the rifle ranges to ourselves. All of the zero targets were already set up when I arrived and everything was ready to go. After the safety brief/medical plan the first lesson was scope and stock setup; determining proper length of pull for a 90 degree trigger squeeze, and proper scope placement. After asking us who had never fired their rifles before or who wasnít zeroed the instructors gave one on one assistance setting up scopes, boresighting the scopes, and adjusting my chassis. Next was a demonstration of proper prone positioning, and then firing at the 100 yard zero targets. The instructors went shooter to shooter giving individual feedback on shooting technique. After this was a more in-depth class on body positioning, not rolling the head over the cheek piece, using the shoulder pocket, keeping a low profile behind the rifle, etc. we had a short class on the types of reticles students were using, when dialing or using mil holds is more appropriate, giving useful spotting calls to a shooter, and a very basic introduction to wind calls. There wasnít any wind at the range. Next we all returned to our rifles and Velayo called out each shooter number, the target, and the distance. After the shooter fired Velayo would call out corrections and weíd fire again. After going down the line heíd start over with a different target. The targets ranged from 116 yard torso sized steel to an 8 inch gong at 362 yards. After that was a shot class on tripod shooting. It was fun, the other students were friendly safe guys, and the class taught me how many fundamentals Iíve forgotten and how many details I need to practice before I sling more expensive ammo down range in more advanced classes. Their website is sierraelement.com I brought my own rifle and ammo.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:55 AM
Fed Up!
CGN Contributor

Thanks OP for the information.
-g
Old 12-03-2017, 7:07 PM

Very cool! I was wondering what was going on over there while I was setting up our USPSA match and running equipment from one range to the other. I'll definitely have to look at this class when I finally get a bolt-gun.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:53 PM
Calguns Addict

this class sound much better than the one i took that cost twice as much with less trainer to student interaction.

looks like the website has a dead link to the "long range/marksmen" course. wonder if it is something that is a new offering. but from the costs of the other rifle courses, i'm surprised it cost only $160 when even their entry urban scoped rifle course is $220
Proof we can all comment on whatever we want if it's at all related to the topic at hand!

Last edited by Scratch705; 12-06-2017 at 2:33 PM.. Reason: revised "sniper" term to long range
Old 12-07-2017, 2:35 PM

Website says range is permanently closed.
Old 12-07-2017, 3:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Scott View Post
Website says range is permanently closed.
Which website and which range?