Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Camping, Hiking and Outdoor Activities Camping, hiking, and other outdoor activities within.

Old 01-01-2012, 6:26 PM
Veteran Member

Default Best survival sharpener?

Tried to reply to an old thread, but older than 201 days cannot be resurrected, so....

Survival situation of unknown duration. Using your survival knife regularly, it eventually needs sharpening for max effectiveness, efficiency and safety.

What's best? Is there a skill that can be learned to effectively sharpen without a tool? Is there a small, light tool for the BOB that sharpens effectively?

I noticed the highly-recommended Gerber LMF 2 has a sharpener built in to the sheath. Effective or toy?

Thanks for your expertise!
Old 01-01-2012, 7:01 PM

I love this for bob, inch, backpacking etc. Very small and lightweight. Attaches easy to pack with paracord etc.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CF4Q8wIwAg
Like Us On Facebook: For Specials and Giveaways!

Local Hikes and Outings:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=388930
Check out the Riverside/Inland Empire Roll-Call Thread!
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=137427
Old 01-01-2012, 8:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
What's best? Is there a skill that can be learned to effectively sharpen without a tool? Is there a small, light tool for the BOB that sharpens effectively?

I noticed the highly-recommended Gerber LMF 2 has a sharpener built in to the sheath. Effective or toy?
I don't know if there is a "Best" tool or technique for sharpening, as long as the end result is a sharp blade.

I was taught knife sharpening by my Grandfathers, so my method is based on Arkansas stones of different grits. I later added a diamond steel to my kit (which was stolen with my favorite field knife several years ago )

IMHO the sharpeners that come with most "survival knives" are crap. They are usually too small, and only single grit (usually coarser than you need). I just got a Lansky sharpening kit for Christmas, it could easily be pieced out to work in a BOB.

My .02...

Get medium size stones (Ark or Diamond) in medium & fine grit (or a combo stone), a blade you don't mind thrashing, and practice as much as you can.
Old 01-02-2012, 2:03 AM

I have a Lansky sharpening kit as well and while a bit big is a good kit and works great. It does have some limitations but they are easy to work around. With that said check out some of Lanskys other sharpners I don't think you could go wrong with them.

Last edited by LCE; 01-02-2012 at 2:08 AM..
Old 01-02-2012, 5:17 AM

I carry the DMT FWFC Double Sided Diafold Sharpener (Fine/Coarse)

This is a hand held, dual sided diamond sharpener. Use the course (325 mesh) side to shape the metal and the fine (600 mesh) side to put a cutting edge on it. While you are not going to shave hair with the final edge, it will be sharp enough for field craft and game dressing. If you need the hair cutting ability, you will need to add a second stone in the 1200 mesh (grit) range or above.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ms_ohs_product

Old 01-02-2012, 7:32 AM

I had been using stones since I was about twelve years old, and I do know how to use them. But, about two years ago I was introduced to the Speedy Sharp and haven't touched a stone since then. You can find them at the gun shows in Ontario and Orange, don't know about any of the others though. I have about 20 of these left for $12.00 each postage paid or you can pick one up at my shop in Cucamonga.

www.speedysharp.net
Old 01-02-2012, 8:41 AM
Banned

I picked up one of these at the gun-show (amazon has them) and it works great.

They make another model that does serrations.

Last edited by problemchild; 01-02-2012 at 8:44 AM..
Old 01-02-2012, 8:50 AM

Default Cheap Lightweight Sharpening

What you need is a strip of spongy material. An old mousepad, a cut up yoga mat, - you get the idea.

The second part of this system is a a couple strips of wet or dry silicon carbide sanding paper. I use 400, 1000, and 3000.

Watch
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt44uDP82CE
Old 01-02-2012, 11:18 AM

Best for the money ease of use cost plus small size 1/4 /1 /3" the EZ/LAP Diamond Stone Under $ 10 most stores. Box 20469 Carson City Nevada. I have 8 or 9 some are years old one in my rifle case,one in each bag plus car truck Don

Last edited by Don Edmondson; 01-02-2012 at 11:40 AM..
Old 01-02-2012, 11:34 AM

another good choice, lightweight and long lasting, is the medium grit spyderco pocket stone, cutlery shoppe has them (the old style that is 1/8" thick and sturdier than the new model) for 6.00. they last a long time, don't need oil, are light and will work on larger knives if you are careful. I like the DMT double sided diamond sharpener but have found that they lose their ability to sharpen in time, I understand that happens because of the nickle bonding the diamond abrasive to the body of the sharpener wears, not the diamond. the small ceramic sharpeners I have found work well as long as you are not working on some difficult to sharpen alloy. The carbide sharpeners work well but leave a fairly course edge and remove a great deal of metal compared to the ceramic stones. the spyderco is a decent comprimise. if you need to sharpen serrations then check out the spyderco profile stone set, there are curves on the sides of those stones that fit most serrations well and the set includes the medium and fine stones, but they are longer (8" I think) and potentially more fragile.
Old 01-02-2012, 4:44 PM

Bottom of a ceramic coffee mug.
Old 01-02-2012, 4:55 PM

I guess it depends on what is in your load out. If you just have knives then the pocket sharpeners like Problem Child show work...I have used both and they are ok IMO.

However, if you have an ax or want to sharpen a fish hook or whatever, you need some type of a flat stone/mesh surface. With a flat surface you can also control the angle.

Something else to keep in mind, many of the suggestions below offer only one "grit" so you are sacrificing either the ability to reshape the steel or put a fine lasting edge on, or both.

For these reasons I carry both the DMT FWFC Double Sided Diafold Sharpener and since one of my knives have serations (and as a backup), I also carry the Smith's PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener as it has a rod.

Old 01-02-2012, 5:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I'm not sure anymore. I bought an electric Presto Eversharp but it seems to be unable to put a razor edge on my heavier field knifes.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Presto-Eve...rpener/5969525

So if I can't get them sharp before fielding, they may not take any kind of sharp edge...
Old 01-02-2012, 5:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousegun View Post
Bottom of a ceramic coffee mug.
That will definitely work in a pinch. You can also use the glass of a car window to sharpen a knife as well.
Old 01-02-2012, 5:18 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Tried to reply to an old thread, but older than 201 days cannot be resurrected, so....

Survival situation of unknown duration. Using your survival knife regularly, it eventually needs sharpening for max effectiveness, efficiency and safety.

Thanks for your expertise!

The Gerber LMF II is a great knife from my experiences with it. I have honestly not put it through anything real tough so no way to comment on that. The sharpener works, but I would not go into a potential survival situation with the sheath sharpener as my only means of getting my blades sharp. In a survival situation many things can be used to sharpen blades. As said above the bottom of a ceramic coffee mug will put a "better" edge on the blade than it would have if it has to be used heavily. You can also use the glass form a car window or rocks if you find one with the right texture.
Old 01-02-2012, 5:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post

They make another model that does serrations.

Do not buy that bottom one, I did and it is garbage.

DMT makes a nice portable one that comes in it owns case and also has the serrated sharpner bit in it. I have one and it works great and keep it in the BOB.

http://www.amazon.com/ADELUXE-Aligne...5557569&sr=8-4

Last edited by 97F1504RAD; 01-02-2012 at 5:27 PM..
Old 01-02-2012, 5:44 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks to you all

Learned a lot from your suggestions. You are wise men.

For a 72-hour survival bag, I wouldn't have an axe or any fishing hooks / etc that would require a more general sharpening solution, so I really like those little Smith / Lansky two-sided jobbies that practically do the correct angle for you, and offer two grades of coarseness.

But for this thread's potential of long-term use, I would def have my speargun tips, fishing hooks and an axe-like thing (yet-to-be-determined...prolly another thread in this forum!) in addition to the survival knife. So it seems I would need a flat surface sharpener of some kind, and durability then becomes the big issue, perhaps followed by a question about the need for multiple grades of coarseness.

I admit I couldn't handle maintaining proper angle with a flat stone at this time, so I'm going to follow the advice above and practice some chinese POS into the grave.
Old 01-02-2012, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpful_Cub View Post
I'm not sure anymore. I bought an electric Presto Eversharp...
Can you still get your money back for it??

*edit*
If you can, put that money toward a Lansky kit

I worked in a restaurant for a few years, no chef I know would get their knives near one of those electric things.

We had a tri-stone much like this one in the kitchen. This set is not cheap, but you can get crazy sharp blades with it

(Not recommended for a BOB)

Attachment 128744
http://www.zesco.com/Forschner-40997...-pz263D034.htm

Last edited by 11HE9; 01-23-2012 at 6:22 PM..
Old 01-02-2012, 7:44 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator

This - although I might go for the med-fine model, the diamond can remove material very quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
I carry the DMT FWFC Double Sided Diafold Sharpener (Fine/Coarse)

This is a hand held, dual sided diamond sharpener. Use the course (325 mesh) side to shape the metal and the fine (600 mesh) side to put a cutting edge on it. While you are not going to shave hair with the final edge, it will be sharp enough for field craft and game dressing. If you need the hair cutting ability, you will need to add a second stone in the 1200 mesh (grit) range or above.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ms_ohs_product

Old 01-02-2012, 8:34 PM
Calguns Addict

If you want a really good sharpener for the house there is only one real choice and it would be The Wicked Edge Sharpener. There is no better or easier Sharpener for all your knives. It will handle them all from your large kitchen knives to pocket knives. I personally do not care for my lansky. Granted the Wicked Edge is pricey but it is worth every penny. My knives have never been sharper and I have used many sharpeners over the years. It is super easy to use and pretty much mistake proof, I highly recommend you get the Pro-Pack if you do decide to buy one.
Old 01-03-2012, 8:55 AM
Veteran Member

11HE9 -- that's the sharpener my wife has (yes, she's a chef). I'm not allowed near it

rkt88edmo -- they don't sell a med / fine on their website -- have you found one for sale somewhere you can post?
Old 01-03-2012, 5:33 PM

I use a spiderco sharp maker, that along with a DMT for rough work you can make butter knife sharp. Spiderco is nice because it breaks down into a very small package
Old 01-03-2012, 5:40 PM

Rediedge.com. U won't be sorry!!!

DarkSkySolutions.com
Old 01-03-2012, 10:39 PM
Reptile&Samurai Moderator

Quote:
11HE9 -- that's the sharpener my wife has (yes, she's a chef). I'm not allowed near it

rkt88edmo -- they don't sell a med / fine on their website -- have you found one for sale somewhere you can post?
looks like I'm mistaken, browsing around it seems like DMT's four grades are X-coarse, coarse, fine, x-fine
Old 01-04-2012, 11:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
This thing is great, but know that it will only put a straight V edge on our knife, not the more rounded, durable edge that a honing steel produces.

Old 01-04-2012, 8:04 PM

Lanskys diamond bar fits right in your pocket good for everything knives axes etc. and a small arkansas hard stone is great too.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:02 AM

fallkniven dc4 is a great portable sharpening stone. i get a really good shaving sharp edge on my knives with them. great for axes and machetes as well.